How early have you had GTY cabin assigned?

Curious to hear about early cabin assignments with gty balconies! Just booked symphony for January 2024 balcony gty for 4. There are only 2 Central Park, and 9 boardwalk cabins showing as available right now, but a ton of ocean view cabins. 

I’ve seen some stories about early cabin assignment, is that really a thing? This is my first time booking gty, but was worth it to save well over $1200! 

18 minutes ago, amby6063 said:

Curious to hear about early cabin assignments with gty balconies! Just booked symphony for January 2024 balcony gty for 4. There are only 2 Central Park, and 9 boardwalk cabins showing as available right now, but a ton of ocean view cabins. 

I’ve seen some stories about early cabin assignment, is that really a thing? This is my first time booking gty, but was worth it to save well over $1200! 

Ive had guarantees assigned before even making the deposit and as late as the day prior to sailing.  Lately it's been closer to a month before sailing.

What you see as available has no bearing on what cabin you will be assigned. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, amby6063 said:

We got ours assigned about a week or 2 after booking, but I've heard some aren't assigned until right before sailing.

For anyone unaware, you can usually find your cabin assignment after you check-in 45 days out before it is officially assigned using the "Bar Code Trick."

Method 1. If you have an Apple device, add your set sail pass to your Apple wallet. Numbers will now appear under your bar code. The numbers after the dash represent your cabin.

Method 2. Scan the bar code with a QR scanner from another device and that should also show you the numbers.

NOTE: If you see "GTY" instead of numbers, you truly haven't been assigned yet. One tip off is that if you don't see a muster station on your set sail pass then you almost definitely don't have an assignment yet.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

We booked a GTY, Son booked a GTY. Both bookings were made same time and same day with same TA for a balcony cabin about 11 months before cruise date on Navigator. Son received his cabin number the next day, 10 months later and a week or so before sailing we received our cabin number.  Son was Gold and we were D+, status and booking date have no bearing on assignment date. Total crap shoot. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, amby6063 said:

You'll probably be assigned between Thanksgiving and Christmas, but that's no guarantee.  

What you see "open" right now is what they're publishing ... it's possible that various travel agencies are "holding" rooms.  It's also possible that rooms will change around as people "Royal Up".  

$1200 is excellent savings, and I'd go with the guarantee in a heartbeat for that money!  Even if waiting does drive me absolutely crazy, and -- as my sailing approaches -- I check the computer like a madwoman. 

5 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

For anyone unaware, you can usually find your cabin assignment after you check-in 45 days out before it is officially assigned using the "Bar Code Trick."

Yes, that's worked great for us.  It usually seems to work a few days - 2 weeks after your boarding times open /barcodes appear.  

2 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

$1200 is excellent savings, and I'd go with the guarantee in a heartbeat for that money!  Even if waiting does drive me absolutely crazy, and -- as my sailing approaches -- I check the computer like a madwoman.

We booked a guarantee for the first time back in April, for our upcoming October cruise and saved right at $1,000. Same - the waiting is making me crazy! 🤪

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JustUs275 said:

We booked a guarantee for the first time back in April, for our upcoming October cruise and saved right at $1,000. Same - the waiting is making me crazy! 🤪

For $1000, I'll remind myself that patience is a virtue.  

• Like 1

Wow! This is good to know! We booked a GTY through our agent (large group cruise). We've never done that, we've always picked our room. But it was about $2000 more to do that. So we skilled it this time. At least now I know not to even think about what our cabin will be until close to sailing.

2 hours ago, KALCJ1 said:

Out of curiosity, which January sailing?  Also, did you book a Neighborhood Balcony Guarantee or an Oceanview Balcony Guarantee?

Symphony on January 7 

I just booked a ‘balcony guarantee’ but when I called in to finalize it, he said it was a neighbourhood one. A OV gty would be about $800 more. So not sure if that means for sure neighbourhood or if they could upgrade it. I’m fine with either! 

Edited by amby6063

We booked an OV guarantee on one of the sectors of the world cruise on Serenade. Its for next July 2024 and we had our cabin notification within a week or so, over a year out. 

8 hours ago, amby6063 said:

Symphony on January 7 

I just booked a ‘balcony guarantee’ but when I called in to finalize it, he said it was a neighbourhood one. A OV gty would be about $800 more. So not sure if that means for sure neighbourhood or if they could upgrade it. I’m fine with either! 

Ok so yes, you’ll more than likely get a Central Park or Boardwalk Balcony.

I would keep checking the price for an Oceanview Guarantee as they tend to fluctuate.  

On 7/11/2023 at 3:56 AM, amby6063 said:

Immediately (booking made a week before cruise. Quantum).
Immediately (within a week or so of booking and sailing on Odyssey)

Pretty fast after booking (mostly on the Anthem)

Eternity....for Serenade and Jewel.
Quite fast for Grandeur balcony.

I'm wondering the reason for GTY cabins assignment lately is about 1 month before sailings have to do with the Royal Up.   Competion GTY cabin assignments and trying get more money from vacancy cabins through Royal  Up.

• Like 1

Just booked an balcony this morning, saved us a ton of money and about 1/4th the bid we made on RU.  Woohoo.  Anyone have experience with switching cabins after assignment?  There are Boardwalk balconies on 3 decks I'd prefer to switch to deck 9 Ocean views.  They are closer to the elevators and I have a wheelchair to contend with.