Is it Just Me or is calling X Customer Service a Nightmare Lately?

It seems like every time I call for anything it’s a super long wait and then the customer service rep always seems completely clueless and usually barely speaks English. They also always need to “check with a supervisor”.

Right now I’m on hold waiting for an emergency phone number so my family or cat sitter can reach me in an emergency on the ship.  We don’t get the internet plan so we need that number just in case.  Am I the only one experiencing this?  Is this yet another cost cutting measure?  We didn’t experience this with Royal in November.  Wonder if other cruise lines have the same issue.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I called last Friday and had less than a 1minute wait.

Called a few days ago and again another 1 minute wait. Both times I got very knowledgeable customer service reps.  On 1 call I was on hold for a long time with the CS rep while he was waiting for resolutions to approve the transaction to reinstate OBC that had gotten messed up when our TA repriced our cruise. However he returned every 3-4 minutes to advise that he was still there and waiting.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Maybe it’s me then.  They may have me on a “list” of annoying passengers (lol).  It seems that’s been my experience almost every time I call lately.  I select the phone option that I booked my cruise directly with X.  I wonder if that makes a difference; perhaps the call is routed differently?

Every time I have called over the last few weeks for various things, the longest wait was ten (10) minutes and the Reps spoke 'perfect' english and understood what I needed.

PLUS, the information you are seeking happens to be on X's website, here.

While you are not the only person who experiences 'long wait times', not sure about the time frames you are calling (I Am sure it is every time you call at all times of the day, correct?).

At any rate, I trust that the number need not be used... 

bon voyage

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

I called CC number on Thurs. at 7:30 AM central time and waited about 5 minutes. CS rep who answered was very knowledgeable, but spoke very accented English. The last 3 or 4 times I have called every CS rep spoke the same way. 

I'm of the mind that if they would improve the app and the website, that would eliminate a good percentage of the calls to CS. Then the people who really have an issue that needs a human to deal with it wouldn't be sitting in a queue behind people who just need to make a payment or find an answer to a question.  I'm one of those people who hates calling customer service. I love being able to do everything online. If I need to interact I'd rather do it through an email or chat feature. I rarely have to call hotels or airlines for much of anything anymore because most of the ones I use have good websites and apps. I remember the days when you had to call customer service for everything travel related. Don't wish to return to those days. I do not understand why Celebrity doesn't throw some money at developing a good app and website that's easy to navigate, intuitive and doesn't screw up. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

Maybe it’s me then.  They may have me on a “list” of annoying passengers (lol).  It seems that’s been my experience almost every time I call lately.  I select the phone option that I booked my cruise directly with X.  I wonder if that makes a difference; perhaps the call is routed differently?

It is not just you.  I was on the phone for almost an hour a couple of weeks ago trying to book our party of 8 in a specialty restaurant using on-board credit.  Took almost an hour to finally tell me they could/would not be able to do it.  Then, we booked 2 parties of 4 thru our travel agent and X booked the incorrect night, cancelled previous reservation for the evening they incorrectly booked, and then cancelled a different specialty restaurant reservation a few days later.  Our travel agent said she had never experienced such bad service.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, blueboro said:

It is not just you.  I was on the phone for almost an hour a couple of weeks ago trying to book our party of 8 in a specialty restaurant using on-board credit.  Took almost an hour to finally tell me they could/would not be able to do it.  Then, we booked 2 parties of 4 thru our travel agent and X booked the incorrect night, cancelled previous reservation for the evening they incorrectly booked, and then cancelled a different specialty restaurant reservation a few days later.  Our travel agent said she had never experienced such bad service.

They’ve messed up things for me too on this reservation. I simply called to make sure my credit card points discount was applied because it was saying “pending”’online (I do try to do things online with X; that stinks too).  The agent completely misunderstood (language barrier) and proceeded to send me a copy of my booking declaring it was fixed.  It wasn’t until I was transferred to a supervisor that I was able to have it resolved.  Very frustrating and time consuming.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Any of the questions asked here could be answered by looking at the e-docs or the website but rather than do that they ask here or call. Human nature!

What page is it on the edocs?  I don’t see it and I’ve looked through them 3 times but I could be missing it.  Where is it in the website?  This information would be very helpful for future views of this thread.  Thanks

Quick search on the website "emergency contact number" and was directed to this in the FAQs (shocking an answer to a frequently asked question would be in the FAQs, I know):

How do I contact a friend or family member aboard a Celebrity cruise ship?

For all Celebrity ships:
• Dial: 1-877-266-1020(applicable country code)+1-321-953-9002 (outside the United States)
• Dial the appropriate number above. 
• The caller will be asked to enter the credit card number and expiration date. 
• The system obtains a real-time hold for $79.50 ($7.95 x 10 minutes) and initiates the call to the ship. The $79.50 hold is the maximum that will be held. Actual charges will be calculated based on the number of minutes used on the call. 
• A voice prompt directs the caller to the specific ship. 
• The call is connected to the ship. 
• The call rings through to the designated department onboard (Radio Station or Purser Desk). The call is then routed to the guest's stateroom. 
• The PBX monitors the call. If there is no answer, the call will ring back at the designated department onboard (Radio Station or Purser Desk) and a written message is taken for delivery to the guest's stateroom.

So just know it is PRICEY. Pretty sure an internet package would be less than that.

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

7 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Quick search on the website "emergency contact number" and was directed to this in the FAQs (shocking an answer to a frequently asked question would be in the FAQs, I know):

For all Celebrity ships:
• Dial: 1-877-266-1020(applicable country code)+1-321-953-9002 (outside the United States)
• The system obtains a real-time hold for $79.50 ($7.95 x 10 minutes) and initiates the call to the ship. The $79.50 hold is the maximum that will be held. Actual charges will be calculated based on the number of minutes used on the call. 
• The call rings through to the designated department onboard (Radio Station or Purser Desk). The call is then routed to the guest's stateroom. 
• The PBX monitors the call. If there is no answer, the call will ring back at the designated department onboard (Radio Station or Purser Desk) and a written message is taken for delivery to the guest's stateroom.

So just know it is PRICEY. Pretty sure an internet package would be less than that.

Wow.  That’s terrible that they charge someone for an emergency phone call from land. The customer service rep certainly didn’t share that part.  I seriously doubt my pet sitter will pay that fee!  I guess I should tell my pet sitter and family if my cat or someone in the family dies to put them on ice.  I believe in the past someone could call that number and relay a message for no fee for the passenger and then the passenger pays to call off the ship.  I may have to break down and get an internet package so I can at least be available online.  Ugh.  I really wanted to unplug.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

For all Celebrity ships:

Since you’re quick with this stuff do you happen to know where the internet package options are in the website.  I went into my reservation but I don’t see any options for purchasing internet service.  Perhaps I’m too close to sailing? I sail 7/23.

I called  Celebrity 3 times in the last 2 weeks.  Each time, I got a message that someone would be with you in approximately 4 minutes.  It was about an hour each time.  My issues included changing a reservation, making a price adjustment, etc.  I never had issues like that before.  It was unfortunate that there was no system to allow a call back phone number when an agent was available.  I had to listen to the endless ads.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, keesar said:

I called  Celebrity 3 times in the last 2 weeks.  Each time, I got a message that someone would be with you in approximately 4 minutes.  It was about an hour each time.  My issues included changing a reservation, making a price adjustment, etc.  I never had issues like that before.  It was unfortunate that there was no system to allow a call back phone number when an agent was available.  I had to listen to the endless ads.

Modern Luxury

6 minutes ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

Since you’re quick with this stuff do you happen to know where the internet package options are in the website.  I went into my reservation but I don’t see any options for purchasing internet service.  Perhaps I’m too close to sailing? I sail 7/23.

I found the internet options.  They were under “plan my cruise” not “manage my reservation”. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

I like to have control of the reservation myself.

I was the same. Until I was able to save over 2k on a group rate. I gladly gave up that control. I use a small travel agency of just a husband and wife team. I have their cell and they always answer a call or a text. No call center, no wait time. Its been a real eye opener when you find a good one.

• Like 6