Amsterdam Cruise Port to close

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jul/20/amsterdam-to-close-cruise-ship-terminal-amid-effort-to-restrict-tourism?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Has anyone else seen this? Article says that the port is closing to deter stag parties and big groups of young men off the cruise ships. I should think that was highly unlikely from the ship in the picture!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

I think for all the shouting, it’s the comment about wanting to build a bridge that’s key here.

To make it tall enough for cruise ships to pass under is very expensive. If no cruise ships, a much lower bridge is possible.

Do we have any idea of a date or time frame? Ironically I am currently looking for an Amsterdam cruise for my OH and I.

1 hour ago, Dorset cruise fan said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jul/20/amsterdam-to-close-cruise-ship-terminal-amid-effort-to-restrict-tourism?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Has anyone else seen this? Article says that the port is closing to deter stag parties and big groups of young men off the cruise ships. I should think that was highly unlikely from the ship in the picture!

No, the port isn't closing especially to deter stag parties etc. The City has been introducing a number of policies to deter stag parties and large parties who like to roam the streets drinking etc. Additionally, the City authorities are trying to limit the number of tourists visiting as, like many compact cities, they feel they are being overrun with tourists.

On top of that, as mentioned by @molecrochip, they are wanting to build a bridge across to North Amsterdam, an area that is expanding, especially in terms of new housing.

No date has been mentioned yet. I expect there will be a mixture of Ijmuiden and Rotterdam as alternative docking arrangements.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, molecrochip said:

Not a clue. Inevitably ships will likely dock at Ijmuiden again.

A friend was informed by P&O that her cruise in March is now docking in Rotterdam and not Amsterdam for Operational Reasons.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

A friend was informed by P&O that her cruise in March is now docking in Rotterdam and not Amsterdam for Operational Reasons.

Same reason given this morning for changing four ports on Arcadia's 2024 worldie.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Where Rotterdam is available, it’s a better option as those who don’t want to travel have something on their doorstep.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, molecrochip said:

Where Rotterdam is available, it’s a better option as those who don’t want to travel have something on their doorstep.

She specifically booked for Amsterdam as it was the only port for her short cruise not Rotterdam.

Will P&O supply a free shuttle or will she have to pay for a shuttle?

Edited by grapau27

I doubt there will be a shuttle.

If the reason is that the authorities have cancelled the call, then that’s not legally P&O’s problem.

P&O have made reasonable replacement provision by offering Rotterdam instead. The other option was cancelling the call and pointing passengers to their travel insurance for missed port compensation.

Sorry not the answer you want but this is beyond P&O.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Same reason given this morning for changing four ports on Arcadia's 2024 worldie.

That is tough.  Which ports are being axed and are the replacements reasonable?

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

She specifically booked for Amsterdam as it was the only port for her short cruise not Rotterdam.

If it is the only port and it has been changed then it is a significant change.  So she can, "Terminate the contract without paying a termination fee" according to regulation 11 of the package travel regs.  In other words she can cancel and get a full refund.  

It does not matter why the change has taken place, P&O are responsible in law.  There are trains to Amsterdam, but that would be her choice if she retained the cruise booking, unless P&O are prepared to negotiate on that to retain bookings.

Edited by tring
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, tring said:

If it is the only port and it has been changed then it is a significant change.  So she can, "Terminate the contract without paying a termination fee" according to regulation 11 of the package travel regs.  In other words she can cancel and get a full refund.  

It does not matter why the change has taken place, P&O are responsible in law.

Thank you.

I will pass this information on to her.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

It might be helpful for your friend to look at the P&O terms and conditions to avoid any worry or hassle... and to contact P&O ASP.

The details are in Paragraph 40... to paraphrase them... 

"P&O Cruises shall ... be entitled at any time prior to departure to ... change ... the Package...  P&O Cruises will inform the Guest or the Guest’s travel agent of any such cancellation or change of Package as quickly as possible ... If P&O Cruises makes a significant alteration to the Package the Guest will have the choice of either accepting the alteration, accepting an offer of an alternative Package ... or cancelling the Package and receiving a full refund of all monies paid ... The Guest must notify P&O Cruises of his/her decision as soon as reasonably possible and in any event not later than 14 days of being informed of the significant alteration."

So it may be helpful for your friend to contacts P&O or her travel agent as soon as possible to sort things out.

Hope that things go well.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, twotravellersLondon said:

It might be helpful for your friend to look at the P&O terms and conditions to avoid any worry or hassle... and to contact P&O ASP.

The details are in Paragraph 40... to paraphrase them... 

"P&O Cruises shall ... be entitled at any time prior to departure to ... change ... the Package...  P&O Cruises will inform the Guest or the Guest’s travel agent of any such cancellation or change of Package as quickly as possible ... If P&O Cruises makes a significant alteration to the Package the Guest will have the choice of either accepting the alteration, accepting an offer of an alternative Package ... or cancelling the Package and receiving a full refund of all monies paid ... The Guest must notify P&O Cruises of his/her decision as soon as reasonably possible and in any event not later than 14 days of being informed of the significant alteration."

So it may be helpful for your friend to contacts P&O or her travel agent as soon as possible to sort things out.

Hope that things go well.

Thank you.

I have passed on the information.

It is a 4 night Aurora cruise.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, molecrochip said:

I think for all the shouting, it’s the comment about wanting to build a bridge that’s key here.

To make it tall enough for cruise ships to pass under is very expensive. If no cruise ships, a much lower bridge is possible.

I agree, they have been trying to deter stag groups for a while and also seem to have been making Rotterdam the major port. Luckily for us we have twice cruised in to Amsterdam and loved the journey up the North Sea Canal. Good to have had those experiences. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you.

I have passed on the information.

It is a 4 night Aurora cruise.

I’ve had this with my 4 night Aurora cruise at end of March, some excursions are already up for Rotterdam with ‘Amsterdam on your own’ about £58!!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tring said:

That is tough.  Which ports are being axed and are the replacements reasonable?

Easiest to cut and paste:

"Due to operational reasons, we have unfortunately been made aware that we are unable to visit Apia, Nuku 'Alofa, Airlie Beach and Aqaba, as originally planned. We are delighted that we have been able to replace the calls to Apia and Nuku Alofa with a call to Lautoka on 12 February and Suva on 13 February. Arcadia will now spend a day at sea on 11 February. To ensure that you re able to enjoy your time ashore, we have replaced Airlie Beach with a call to Port

Douglas and Aqaba with a call to Safaga for the same days."

Not fussed about the first three, however losing Aqaba is disappointing.  Petra is on the bucket wish list, will just have to do it as a land holiday.

The acid test for us is: would we have booked this cruise if original ports were not on the itinery at time of booking.  For us, the answer is: yes we would of booked.  Apparently Safaga is port from which trips to the Valley of the Kings.  Been there, done that, don't need to do it again.  If there are trips to Abu Simbel, might give that some serious consideration.  Otherwise we'll just wander over to the soukh, and I'll have a haggle for a Rolex  😂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Easiest to cut and paste:

"Due to operational reasons, we have unfortunately been made aware that we are unable to visit Apia, Nuku 'Alofa, Airlie Beach and Aqaba, as originally planned. We are delighted that we have been able to replace the calls to Apia and Nuku Alofa with a call to Lautoka on 12 February and Suva on 13 February. Arcadia will now spend a day at sea on 11 February. To ensure that you re able to enjoy your time ashore, we have replaced Airlie Beach with a call to Port

Douglas and Aqaba with a call to Safaga for the same days."

Not fussed about the first three, however losing Aqaba is disappointing.  Petra is on the bucket wish list, will just have to do it as a land holiday.

The acid test for us is: would we have booked this cruise if original ports were not on the itinery at time of booking.  For us, the answer is: yes we would of booked.  Apparently Safaga is port from which trips to the Valley of the Kings.  Been there, done that, don't need to do it again.  If there are trips to Abu Simbel, might give that some serious consideration.  Otherwise we'll just wander over to the soukh, and I'll have a haggle for a Rolex  😂

I do not know the others, but certainly Safaga a big downer from Aqaba.  We should have docked there at some stage and for some reason did not, but I do not think there is anything at or near the port really and seems there can be a lot of dust  on the ship from a nearby cement works, so not even pleasant staying on the ship.  We have had a two week holiday in Luxor so done all the Valley of the Kings and other things there, which were good as well as a lot of relaxation in the January sun.  It is a long journey from Safaga to there though, so tourists turning up look really tired.  Going to Abu Simbal would be a journey to Aswan and then even further to Abu Symbel, often by air from Aswan, so def not an option from Safaga.  I think there was a trip to an island a bit further along the coast from Safaga - that may be worth looking at.  Otherwise I think it is just going into the town and doing the standard Egyptian market, as you said, haggle for a Rolex - that is always a bit of fun though.

I hope we are OK on the September cruise, I am a tad concerned about a possible storm coming up the coast if there is a hurricane in the gulf, but that is a risk we just have to take.  I do admit to being a bit of a pessimist - but I always say that means I am never disappointed.

Hope the worldy turns out well for you, we have never been on a ship as long as that,

Barbara

Edited by tring
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Britboys said:

No, the port isn't closing especially to deter stag parties etc. The City has been introducing a number of policies to deter stag parties and large parties who like to roam the streets drinking etc. Additionally, the City authorities are trying to limit the number of tourists visiting as, like many compact cities, they feel they are being overrun with tourists.

On top of that, as mentioned by @molecrochip, they are wanting to build a bridge across to North Amsterdam, an area that is expanding, especially in terms of new housing.

No date has been mentioned yet. I expect there will be a mixture of Ijmuiden and Rotterdam as alternative docking arrangements.

There is also a government  official who has described cruise visitors as "like locusts" and they eat in international eating establishments and don't visit museums so don't actually support the community of Amsterdam

There are other reasons been well publicised why they are stopping cruise ships and seems to have become very political.

We have tried to go to Amsterdam twice on a cruise, never made it on either cruise due to strong winds and bad weather, we have said we won’t bother with a cruise and are planning to go via Eurostar next year for a long weekend, that way we can virtually guarantee actually getting there.