Amsterdam Cruise Port to close

2 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

We have tried to go to Amsterdam twice on a cruise, never made it on either cruise due to strong winds and bad weather, we have said we won’t bother with a cruise and are planning to go via Eurostar next year for a long weekend, that way we can virtually guarantee actually getting there. 

Been there on Eurostar too. Sat in Brussels station for 5 hours and eventually bussed to a hotel, then by coach to Amsterdam the next morning.

3 minutes ago, Dorset cruise fan said:

Been there on Eurostar too. Sat in Brussels station for 5 hours and eventually bussed to a hotel, then by coach to Amsterdam the next morning.

We drove once and flew once, but TBH if folk don't want us to visit their city , we will spend our money somewhere else.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Snow Hill said:

We have tried to go to Amsterdam twice on a cruise, never made it on either cruise due to strong winds and bad weather, we have said we won’t bother with a cruise and are planning to go via Eurostar next year for a long weekend, that way we can virtually guarantee actually getting there. 

Starting next year, whilst they rebuild Amsterdam station, Eurostar won't run to the Netherlands. June 2024 to May 2025 but could run longer.

22 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Same reason given this morning for changing four ports on Arcadia's 2024 worldie.

Only found out about this on social media, no contact from P and O regarding this change , not that it matters, were only the paying passengers 😡

• Like 1

8 hours ago, molecrochip said:

Starting next year, whilst they rebuild Amsterdam station, Eurostar won't run to the Netherlands. June 2024 to May 2025 but could run longer.

We are planning a spring break, so should be OK, if not we will fly.

23 hours ago, rhino29 said:

Read this thread in the Europe boards, in particular the post from Dutch_Travelgirl
Amsterdam - closing cruise ship terminal - British Isles/Western Europe - Cruise Critic Community

Reading that thread it's pretty obvious that a lot of itineraries on many lines have already jumped across to Rotterdam.  There are countless posts from people who have been moved across.  None of the passengers seem particularly worried to be arriving elsewhere it would appear to be perfectably acceptable and no one is stressed about it.  

It should be noted from one of the later newslinks posted yesterday Yahoo states no time frame has been decided yet for the port closure.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, tring said:

I do not know the others, but certainly Safaga a big downer from Aqaba.  We should have docked there at some stage and for some reason did not, but I do not think there is anything at or near the port really and seems there can be a lot of dust  on the ship from a nearby cement works, so not even pleasant staying on the ship.  We have had a two week holiday in Luxor so done all the Valley of the Kings and other things there, which were good as well as a lot of relaxation in the January sun.  It is a long journey from Safaga to there though, so tourists turning up look really tired.  Going to Abu Simbal would be a journey to Aswan and then even further to Abu Symbel, often by air from Aswan, so def not an option from Safaga.  I think there was a trip to an island a bit further along the coast from Safaga - that may be worth looking at.  Otherwise I think it is just going into the town and doing the standard Egyptian market, as you said, haggle for a Rolex - that is always a bit of fun though.

I hope we are OK on the September cruise, I am a tad concerned about a possible storm coming up the coast if there is a hurricane in the gulf, but that is a risk we just have to take.  I do admit to being a bit of a pessimist - but I always say that means I am never disappointed.

Hope the worldy turns out well for you, we have never been on a ship as long as that,

Barbara

Thanks Barbara.  The info about Abu Simbel being a non-starter is helpful, have to look at other options.

Six weeks now to Aurora.  Hopefully no dreaded "operational reasons", and as you say no adverse weather. 🤞

• Like 1

17 hours ago, majortom10 said:

There is also a government  official who has described cruise visitors as "like locusts" and they eat in international eating establishments and don't visit museums so don't actually support the community of Amsterdam

There are other reasons been well publicised why they are stopping cruise ships and seems to have become very political.

Sadly, there is some truth to the official's statement. There seem to be a lot of cruise pax who just get off for a walk, buy some water and get back on for lunch. Not all by any means but a fair number...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Reading that thread it's pretty obvious that a lot of itineraries on many lines have already jumped across to Rotterdam.  There are countless posts from people who have been moved across.  None of the passengers seem particularly worried to be arriving elsewhere it would appear to be perfectably acceptable and no one is stressed about it.  

It should be noted from one of the later newslinks posted yesterday Yahoo states no time frame has been decided yet for the port closure.

It wouldn’t bother me now as we’ve been to Amsterdam many many times, but I would have been jolly annoyed years ago when the girls were teenagers. One of the reasons for choosing the itinerary was our desire to visit Anne Frank house which we managed to do without too much waiting. I wouldn’t have been happy to switch to Rotterdam after booking and then having to pay for a full price transfer for 5 of us. 

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

It wouldn’t bother me now as we’ve been to Amsterdam many many times, but I would have been jolly annoyed years ago when the girls were teenagers. One of the reasons for choosing the itinerary was our desire to visit Anne Frank house which we managed to do without too much waiting. I wouldn’t have been happy to switch to Rotterdam after booking and then having to pay for a full price transfer for 5 of us. 

Personally I dislike the place, judgment being coloured by my friend and I being robbed of every penny we had between us travelling from the port to our hotel back when we were 18.  The police response was for us to eat a large breakfast as we were b&b.  There were no cards or mobiles them so we had four days wandering around looking for free things to do!

I've been back twice since once with my mother when we did a coach trip after visiting Floriade.  Quite an experience when some Ajax fans took her under their wing and took her to a smoking cafe to "ease her arthritis pain"!  The last time was with my Austrian friend, by day we did museums and art galleries but one evening was interesting when we ended up in a live sex show in a theatre after stupidly joining the queue for what we thought was a nightclub queue.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Britboys said:

Sadly, there is some truth to the official's statement. There seem to be a lot of cruise pax who just get off for a walk, buy some water and get back on for lunch. Not all by any means but a fair number...

Don't forget that the Ships have to pay Port fees and possibly going through the lock and Pilot fees plus the Amsterdam Authority impose an 8€ fee per passenger for 24hr stay. Their could be job loses if/when it closes. Plus Many passengers joining cruise ship departures in Amsterdam spend a night or two in the Hotels prior to sailing.

Edited by LifeonMars
  • Like 1

It’s a great shame as it’s a wonderful place to dock, so easy to get into the city. I’m so pleased we got to do it last month and got to watch the sail in from our balcony in the sunshine. We’ve been a couple of times before but arrived overnight so didn’t see the lovely sail in.

My Aurora cruise for next year has already been changed to Rotterdam. I’m happy with that as we’ve been before as I’ve said but I’m sad we won’t be able to experience that again.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Britboys said:

We do the same, mainly because we only go ashore for 2 or 3 hours, and never feel hungry enough to want to eat before mid afternoon at the earliest.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LifeonMars said:

Don't forget that the Ships have to pay Port fees and possibly going through the lock and Pilot fees plus the Amsterdam Authority impose an 8€ fee per passenger for 24hr stay. Their could be job loses if/when it closes. Plus Many passengers joining cruise ship departures in Amsterdam spend a night or two in the Hotels prior to sailing.

Obviously there is some financial benefit to the city but I guess they have to weigh up the benefits against the potential problems. I'm not sure how much the city itself benefits from port fees etc although of course recognise they contribute to the overall local economy. Not sure how many ships use Amsterdam as a turnaround port - HAL maybe? I presume that the River Boats will not be affected by the cruise ship ban, being that much smaller.

At the end of the day, people staying a night or three are going to be much more beneficial for the city.

Reading a few European news websites today it would seem the proposals appear to be

1. a ban on cruise ships docking in the city, pollution from the cruise ships appears to be main issue, the difference in air quality was marked during the pandemic.

2. close the cruise terminal and relocate it further down the IJsselmeer, the island on which Amsterdam sits

3. There is a proposal for bridge across the Amstel River, which if built would mean ships would not be able to go under it, unless a more expensive option is chosen.

4. The city feels its overrun by tourists and is seeking to reduce them and make tourism more sustainable. 

It’s is possible at some point if a new cruise terminal is built then ships could return possibly with a restriction on size and fuel type. In the meantime ships would need to dock at Rotterdam or IJmuiden

No timescales for this although ban could come into effect first, to reduce the pollution. 

This has similarities to the situation in Venice, where the city administration has agreed to reduce the impact of cruise ships on the city. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Britboys said:

Obviously there is some financial benefit to the city but I guess they have to weigh up the benefits against the potential problems. I'm not sure how much the city itself benefits from port fees etc although of course recognise they contribute to the overall local economy. Not sure how many ships use Amsterdam as a turnaround port - HAL maybe? I presume that the River Boats will not be affected by the cruise ship ban, being that much smaller.

At the end of the day, people staying a night or three are going to be much more beneficial for the city.

Although the P&O cruises to Amsterdam this last year or so and for next year have all been in port for over 24 hours. 
Judging by the empty dining room I think there were quite a lot of people eating  off the ship.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Red Ray said:

Having been to Amsterdam I can quite confidently say I have no desire to return. Along with Tunis, the least favourite place I have ever visited (obviously betting without Blackburn).

I would agree about Tunis. One of the few places where I felt distinctly uncomfortable……

• Like 1

If you’re a cruise ship operator, you jump now and find your alternative port call such as Rotterdam because, based on the previous implementation of the tourist tax, you’ll only get 30 days notice - at which point your options are limited.

• Like 2

On 7/21/2023 at 3:58 PM, Son of Anarchy said:

Not fussed about the first three, however losing Aqaba is disappointing.  Petra is on the bucket wish list, will just have to do it as a land holiday.

Its ironic that on our worldie (actually half a worldie as we boarded in Auckland), Arcadia was supposed to call in Egypt  for the Pyramids etc, but the FO advised not to, so Aqaba was a last minute replacement. Hence I got to go to Petra when I had not even known I would have the opportunity when we left home 3 months earlier!. That's why travel is so wonderful, because often its the unplanned things that are the best. 

• Like 4