Unpopular Opinion: I'm excited about the changes to Plus and Premier

drwbrt

23 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Surely they drink water or other fluids? The drink packages include more than alcoholic beverages.

I kept track of all my drinks on NCL from January. I was averaging $55/day in non-alcoholic beverages.  I had Starbucks on board twice a day, the rest was mostly San Pellegrino and Acqua Panna, but there was some soda in there too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Surely they drink water or other fluids? The drink packages include more than alcoholic beverages.

It would take an awful lot to drink $60-$80 . A 6 pack of water prepaid is $7.08 which includes the gratuity. I usually purchase this water bottle package and change my mini bar to 20 diet cokes. Diet cokes 6 for $11. If you don't use sugar the juices and ice creams are not going to be consumed. 

If you drink alcohol it probably pays to get a package. 

21 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

It would take an awful lot to drink $60-$80 . A 6 pack of water prepaid is $7.08 which includes the gratuity. I usually purchase this water bottle package and change my mini bar to 20 diet cokes. Diet cokes 6 for $11. If you don't use sugar the juices and ice creams are not going to be consumed. 

I thought that was for a 12 pack of water, which is a shock. Princess sells water for less than Carnival.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PMGS247 said:

Coral you're right...literally nothing.

We spent 28 days on the Coral in April.  On at least 1 sea day a week, a free Alfredo's menu - just pizza - was offered for lunch in Sabatinis which otherwise isn't used at lunchtime.  The Coral has pizza ovens in Sabatinis and the pizza was wonderful.  The only publicity I ever noticed about it was in the restaurant section of the Events Listing (formerly the Patter).  We went a couple of times and it seemed popular but not too popular.  We never had a wait.  There were no lines like there are when the Pub Lunch is held in a specialty restaurant but of course those are multi-course meals.

I feel like you. I only cruise maybe once every two years. I love having the all inclusive feeling that Premier brings. If I want a twenty dollar drink, I am not going to think twice. Go enjoy your vacation and live it up. The sixty hour work weeks will be waiting when I get home.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, rosevew said:

My bigest gripe has to be the 2 meal options on plus as we have a 24 night cruise coming up, rather unfair. Just like the 2 x speciality dining on premium.

Yeah, that has bugged me since before these changes. If I'm on a 14-day cruise, I feel like I should get double of that stuff since I'm paying double for Plus/Premier.

10 hours ago, drwbrt said:

Coke used to be $0.05. Those guys are so good at marketing. 

Haha. This reminds me of my late MIL who constantly would tell us what bread and milk cost when she first got married. Btw, gas was .54 a gallon when I first started driving. 😉

3 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

The Plus package includes internet (wifi) and crew appreciation though. If you plan to use most of the stuff that comes with Plus, you don't need to drink $60 worth to break even. It made sense for us and we don't drink much alcohol at all.

Edited by MacMadame

The two meal limit seems certainly unfair for those on longer cruises, we only do a 7 or 8 day one so that doesn't really affect us a great deal.

I don't know, maybe (or whether it's even possible) the amount of these casual meals could be increased pro-rata according to the length of the cruise eg; 3 (or even 4) for a  14 day cruise and so on.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PMGS247 said:

I mean there aren't many ships that don't have any of them, (if any? I'm too lazy to go research it) but I'll bet my next paycheck there's no ships that ONLY have a Gigi's/Alfredo's but no other casual dining options.

Diamond Princess only has Kai Sushi. No Vines no Alfredos and no IC.  Cruised on her last month and a 3 course meal was $20 now if I read right it has dropped to $15. Menus I have seen uploaded here appear to be the same as last month

Princess Cruises are free to include and exclude what they wish provided this is made clear at the time of booking.  Cutting back on services for people already booked without compensation, is bait and switch at its worst.   I'm sailing with them in two weeks' time, but never again.  I don't trade with crooks.

• Like 9

On any other cruise line, beside MSC, once you're booked, if they change to costs of anything, you are protected from any increase. You still get the package you paid for. Princess is really plkaying with fire the way they're treating booked guests.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, deliver42 said:

On any other cruise line, beside MSC, once you're booked, if they change to costs of anything, you are protected from any increase. You still get the package you paid for. Princess is really plkaying with fire the way they're treating booked guests.

That wasn't my experience on NCL.  After we booked in Nov 22 for our Jan 23 sailing we had several changes: loss of several premium wine and liquors from the Premium Plus package, loss of turn-down service, and increase of daily gratuity.  In addition to these changes to inclusions, there were also several price changes on the add-on entertainment and dining. 

All inclusions and add-ons are subject to change per the terms and conditions.  This isn't new for the industry.  It doesn't feel good when it happens, and it feels much worse when the communication is lacking.  

• Like 4

9 hours ago, capriccio said:

We spent 28 days on the Coral in April.  On at least 1 sea day a week, a free Alfredo's menu - just pizza - was offered for lunch in Sabatinis which otherwise isn't used at lunchtime.  The Coral has pizza ovens in Sabatinis and the pizza was wonderful.  The only publicity I ever noticed about it was in the restaurant section of the Events Listing (formerly the Patter).  We went a couple of times and it seemed popular but not too popular.  We never had a wait.  There were no lines like there are when the Pub Lunch is held in a specialty restaurant but of course those are multi-course meals.

Interesting.  That doesn't quite qualify as having an Alfredo's on board but it's good to know they offer a pop-up option.  I'll be curious how things like this and the Pub Lunch are affected by the new pricing.  I assume they'll continue to be included, but who knows...when something results in a long line like the Pub Lunch I can't imagine Princess isn't tempted to monetize it.

29 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

Do you mind sharing which cruise lines 'protect' package items in your experience?  Is this country specific where Terms and Conditions may vary?

Edited by capriccio
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

I think this is overstating things a little bit. It may be very rare that a cruise line pulls out the rug from under customers who have already booked as aggressively as princess is in this case, but "protected from any increase" is a bit much.  "Subject to Change" language is rampant throughout any cruise contract and if you think they won't do that it's just because they haven't yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great that you are excited about changes that will reduce the crowds in the venues you frequent. In fact that idea may backfire as more are going to buy these packages. Odd reasoning but glad you are happy...small group of you!!

If others feel the same as you then won't the Casual Dining experience be just as busy?  We have upgraded to Premier but when the list arrived of our additions Casual Dining was not mentioned and I cannot get anyone from Princess to put in writing that it is included. Room Service is also left off.  I feel the changes are not quite complete because of this. 

16 hours ago, memoak said:
18 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

I agree with you 100%.  This should have had a start date, and everyone who bought packages prior to the announcement are grandfathered into the new benefits.  None of these new things cost them that much money to provide good customer service to paid in full customers.

They are not going to grandfather people who paid $20 less per day. It might be nice but will not happen

My opinion on the notion of a 'start date' and/or 'grandfathering-in benefits' pre- vs. post-change, purely on PCL implementation feasibility:

FOR THOSE THAT BOUGHT PACKAGES AT OLDER, LOWER LEVELS

I'm on the side of they should've extended the $60 and $80 Plus and Premier benefits to those who fully paid for packages prior to December 2022 at the lower price levels.  People bought a package at the price offered then.  They committed to upgrading to a package and laid out the money.  It would be practically and operationally easy to do.  PCL should've done it. 

Most of my experience is cruising with NCL (I'm only a recent Princess cruiser).  At least on NCL, when you booked an excursion, Vibe pass, photo package, or whatever early-on and the price increases (which it always does) or the nature of the package changes, you're locked-in for the extra item you bought.

FOR STANDARD FARE CRUISERS WHO BOOKED PRIOR TO THE CHANGE

On the notion of having a 'start date' for the changes, having the changes only impact 'new bookings', I'm no expert, but I don't think there would be a reasonable, operationally and practically feasible way to do it.  It would require extensive software upgrades that PCL is horrible at implementing (they probably know their own limitations); it would require two sets of terms and conditions in print and online; it would confuse the front-line staff to no end; and the implementation mess would extend deep into 2024, dragging-out confusion and potential hard feelings and complaints from the new, larger group of standard fare cruisers who booked after whatever start date they could've envisioned.  Moreover, would they grandfather-in only those who made full payment on their standard fare cruises?  How about those who only made deposits?  I'm guessing the operational people at PCL considered all of this and concluded that it's better to just dive-in and make the changes, let the grumbling happen for a month or two, and then it fades away....rather than drag it out across the PCL fleet for two years.

-----------------------

Not related, per se, but in my opinion, the most notable fail on the new packages model is stiffing those who sail for more than seven days.  On those longer cruises, if they are paying for the $60 Plus package, they should not be limited to only two casual dining perks.  That's not right.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Nightingale0208 said:

If others feel the same as you then won't the Casual Dining experience be just as busy?  We have upgraded to Premier but when the list arrived of our additions Casual Dining was not mentioned and I cannot get anyone from Princess to put in writing that it is included. Room Service is also left off.  I feel the changes are not quite complete because of this. 

When I talked to Princess I was told as long as you paid the $80 pp per day then you get ALL the premium Items.

Yes so was I, and when I asked for it in writing I was told there was no need to change it. I have a disability which affects my walking so room service and a film if we've been on an excursion was a great way to relax and be ready for the next day. I'm not convinced yet that another layer to this new system is not lying in wait. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Nightingale0208 said:

No, I don’t think so, at least not what I have looked at for my sailing on Discovery.  Previously, even as a Plus or Premier passenger, I would have ability to visit GiGi’s, SD grill (deck 16), slices, MDR, world fresh market, or order via OceanNow/room service. Even if EVERYONE upgraded, we still added Ocean Terrace and Salty Dog Gastropub as inclusive options. It’s more venues, more square footage. Furthermore, not everyone will upgrade. 

Edited by drwbrt

There are like about 10 tables in Alfredo's. I want to see what princess does when half the cruisers with plus or premiere scrum to use their casual dining benefits. The closer to the end of the cruise, the crazier it will get. I see a lot of tipped chairs at empty tables in Alfredo's future. macho-man.gif.fae1fee6acecd0892ccbc577fc8f9757.gif

15 hours ago, getaway101 said:

Really?  I never knew that.  I never even saw a register for them to charge anything.

I’ve only seen them charge extra for a Wagu beef burger on Celebrity.  I have seen Princess charge for the lobster rolls when offered at the SD grill, never for anything else, though.

I stand corrected after just seeing the photo of the menu right below your post.  

Edited by Cruise Raider