Layover in Port of Call

Dougm141

Yes, various cruise lines have cruises with overnight stays in ports of call. Royal Caribbean has many cruise with overnight stay in a port of call. However must be an itinerary with overnight stay.

Here is an example Bermuda and the Bahamas with Mariner of the Seas from/to Port Canaveral (Orlando, FL), departure 01/09/2023

IMG_4512.jpeg

Edited by hallasm

Back when ships called on St. Petersburg (the Russian one, not the one in Florida) there were often 2 overnights, effectively 3 days. That was nice.

Overnights in ports may be more common on European or Asian itineraries. Where are you looking to cruise?

• Like 1

To my knowledge no if you really mean that you want to be in a port for days.  As others have suggested you can however find lots of cruises that give you an overnight in a city.  What you are looking for is a land tour and not a cruise.

DON

• Like 1

If you mean, are there cruises that have overnight stays? Yes.

If you mean can I book a cruise that stops at port XYZ, get off the ship, then get back on the ship when it comes back around next week? then No. Well, if you got MONEY, I'm talking BIG money, then you could probably work something out. For everyone else, then No.

1 hour ago, Dougm141 said:

Is there any way to book a cruise where you can stay in a Port of call for DAYS instead of HOURS?

Maybe  clarify  what you mean by days  & where  you want to  travel to?

• Like 2

A number of Mediterranean itineraries involve multiple embarkation/debarkation.  By booking two separate itineraries; one ending at a port you want to see in depth, and another (not necessarily on the same ship) departing from that port several days later, you could accomplish OP’s aim.

Other than by playing that convoluted game, I think not.

3 hours ago, Dougm141 said:

Is there any way to book a cruise where you can stay in a Port of call for DAYS instead of HOURS?

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

My take on this question was to spend 3 or 4 days in Barcelona before a TransAtlantic to Florida, and on a separate cruise -- a TransAtlantic to Copenhagen, to spend a number of days in Denmark after. Of course not all ports are embarkation ports...

Edited by crystalspin

24 minutes ago, Dougm141 said:

What I would like to do is an Alaskan Cruise where I can disembark for a few days somewhere to explore inland and do some salmon fishing.

Take a one-way cruise to Alaska and explore as long as you want after the cruise.  

Or explore first, and take a one-way cruise from Alaska to Canada. We did that; spent a week or so driving around the interior. As nice as the cruise after that was, the land visit was far better.

Most cruises aren’t set up for guests to disembark for several days and then return to the ship mid-cruise. 

You can take a one way cruise from Vancouver to Seward and stay post cruise in Seward (might be other options) before returning home.

It will not be possible to disembark during an Alaska cruise.

An alternative is Norway where you can take the Hurtigruten Coastal Express from Bergen to Kirkenes and make a several days layover at each port - many good fishing opportunities. 

Edited by hallasm
  • Like 1

There are multiple ships/lines that sail between Vancouver and Seward or Whittier.  They are one week cruises.  You could sail to Whittier (Princess or HAL), get off and spend a week or more in Alaska, then take another ship from Seward or Whittier back to Vancouver.  Or you could take the slow boat up and/or back on Alaska Marine Highway ferries.   Consult cruisetimetables.com for cruises from Vancouver/Seward/Whittier and see what you might hook together.  EM

We took a one way Vancouver to Seward cruise, then spent 3 weeks traveling around on Alaska Rail, staying 2 or 3 or 4 nights in each location. The lodging and rail tickets were purchased prior to our leaving home. To us it was the best way to see Alaska.

If you have the time, and resources, you can book a great Trans Atlantic cruise that takes you to a few ports you are interested in, and say the ship disembarks in Spain, and after you disembark you can travel by rail all over Europe and the UK. When that segment of your travel ends you can either fly home, or do what a lot of us do, catch Queen Mary 2 out of Southampton, England.

Obviously all this takes planning.  🙂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Most cruises aren’t set up for guests to disembark for several days and then return to the ship mid-cruise. 

I do not think ANY cruises are so set up. That would essentially require the ship to return to the same port during its itinerary. It really is a kind of dumb idea.

9 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I do not think ANY cruises are so set up. That would essentially require the ship to return to the same port during its itinerary. It really is a kind of dumb idea.

In between pairs of transatlantic crossings - often the QM2 does a more local round trip cruise [to Hamburg, Norway, western Med ...]. 

Passengers could disembark in Southampton, and have a return trip scheduled to board there or another embarkation port. In 2019 a 'road scholar' group disembarked after an eastbound crossing  in Southampton and five days later embarked in LeHavre for the return transatlantic. I between, they had their own land tour. 

27 minutes ago, TheOldBear said:

In between pairs of transatlantic crossings - often the QM2 does a more local round trip cruise [to Hamburg, Norway, western Med ...]. 

Passengers could disembark in Southampton, and have a return trip scheduled to board there or another embarkation port. In 2019 a 'road scholar' group disembarked after an eastbound crossing  in Southampton and five days later embarked in LeHavre for the return transatlantic. I between, they had their own land tour. 

Yes - but that would involve two completely separate bookings — which is not what OP was discussing. There are a number of ships which make three or four day cruises from Florida ports to the Bahamas - someone could book two - with perhaps a week or so between to spend in Miami.

AFAIR outside of some specialty locations like Bermuda and Russia, cruises aren't set up for someone disembarking for multiple days. Where would the ship go? Wait for you or would you try to catch another ship back? The simplest way to accomplish this is a one way cruise and schedule a land excursion after the cruise. 

• Like 1