Free Diamond Pictures

Do I have to be in the picture to get it free? I'm traveling with a couple on their first cruise and there are a couple diamond and a couple diamond+ in the group. We all have more pics than we would ever want so if we can use the freebies for someone else that would be great!

They are rubbish anyway. Look at the file size they use which they try and charge hundreds of USD for!

I think the one i got was around 88kb in size. Any photos measured in kilobytes are terrible quality. 

I got them home and they look worse than an 2010 smartphone image. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

And I have been turned down for trying to buy a picture that was not of me.

They became very strict about picture rules more recently. My SIL had a 100 picture package on our family cruise on Wonder in June and if someone from her cabin (we had 3 cabins for our 3 households) was not in the picture she could not have it. Once onboard they did work with her a bit at least.

Doesn't matter to us, we're not big on pics in general, we just take them so we can choose our 2 freebies, but figured I'd share.

I think it depends on the ship and if they actually print all the photos. I know the newer ships use facial recognition and you go to the photo gallery and pick a picture that they print later. On the older ships, ALL the pictures are printed. You go find it on the wall and then take them to the checkout.

Everything about Royal is random. It is so nice that you want to give them a picture. No harm in trying. Good luck.

• Like 1

I just tell anyone I meet that my free picture is earned, so if they want a free picture, go on more cruises. Honestly, this is earned, and the more people that talk about how to beat the system, the more likely, the earned item will be removed......remember drink packages?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pandamonia said:

They are rubbish anyway. Look at the file size they use which they try and charge hundreds of USD for!

I think the one i got was around 88kb in size. Any photos measured in kilobytes are terrible quality. 

I got them home and they look worse than an 2010 smartphone image. 

Hmm, just looked at my photo files from my Wonder cruise a few weeks ago, all are 1.9 GB to 2.3 GB, they printed beautifully

• Like 3

I just don't understand why it makes a difference who's in the picture or not in the picture. The free picture is a perk of being a Diamond member just as the drink vouchers are a perk. You are allowed to use your drink vouchers to "buy" someone else a drink, why shouldn't you be able to "buy" someone a picture using your voucher?

• Like 3

Just now, not-enough-cruising said:

Hmm, just looked at my photo files from my Wonder cruise a few weeks ago, all are 1.9 GB to 2.3 GB, they printed beautifully

Its very possible that newer ships have more up to date systems. Older ships are stuck on terrible file sizes. Anthem produced these file sizes. I was not Diamond on Wonder at the time.

1 minute ago, Pandamonia said:

Its very possible that newer ships have more up to date systems. Older ships are stuck on terrible file sizes. Anthem produced these file sizes. I was not Diamond on Wonder at the time.

Quite possible, the set up on Wonder last month was great.  This was out 1st experience with our pictures showing in the app (within an hour or so) to preview and purchase.  It was a nice update to the process

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

It would be very unusual to have any pic with a GB file size, even in RAW format. Most pics in the usual JPEG format would be 1-10MB and RAW maybe 10x times that max.

9 hours ago, brillohead said:

No, I often give my freebie to people I meet on board.

Just have them give your room number when the photo is taken, so it will come up under your account and you can apply your coupon at checkout.

7 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

And I have been turned down for trying to buy a picture that was not of me.

Royal

Consistently

Inconsistent

maybe because you can't buy a picture not assigned to your room 

47 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

I just tell anyone I meet that my free picture is earned, so if they want a free picture, go on more cruises. Honestly, this is earned, and the more people that talk about how to beat the system, the more likely, the earned item will be removed......remember drink packages?

You have "earned "a free picture ... exactly !

This is nothing like the drink package at all . You buy a drink package and it is clearly for your consumption only ! In contrast if you have "earned" 4 free diamond drinks , it is completely within the rules to share them with anyone you please !

Cheers

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Some detail may have gotten lost during the download - the originals are usually much bigger than that.

dont think so. you cannot lose data in the download. You can certainly lose it using the wrong compression when uploading or storing though. 

Compared to the compressed RAW images my Sony A7C takes they were terrible quality. 

28 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

It would be very unusual to have any pic with a GB file size, even in RAW format. Most pics in the usual JPEG format would be 1-10MB and RAW maybe 10x times that max.

I don't know a bit from a byte, and I know even less about photography, I was just reporting what it says on my computer screen, but there is a 100% chance I am misinterpreting something.

You are right, this file says MB not GB

Edited by not-enough-cruising

I figured there would those would disagree with me getting someone my free pictures, but to you I say move on, you're opinion isn't welcomed here. ALWAYS those who feel the need to run their mouths. I haven't received one single picture since becoming diamond, and likely will not any time soon, and my traveling mates are the same. We earned this right, and with the 4 free drinks, they ALLOW us to give those to someone else. So instead of not using them, I thought we'd try and let this couple have some free pictures, which costs them NOTHING, especially when compared to the free drinks we're ALLOWED to give away. Thanks for the "kinder" thoughts from the rest of you!

• Like 1

On 8/14/2023 at 11:53 PM, sailor05 said:

I figured there would those would disagree with me getting someone my free pictures, but to you I say move on, you're opinion isn't welcomed here. ALWAYS those who feel the need to run their mouths. I haven't received one single picture since becoming diamond, and likely will not any time soon, and my traveling mates are the same. We earned this right, and with the 4 free drinks, they ALLOW us to give those to someone else. So instead of not using them, I thought we'd try and let this couple have some free pictures, which costs them NOTHING, especially when compared to the free drinks we're ALLOWED to give away. Thanks for the "kinder" thoughts from the rest of you!

I especially like to offer my freebie picture to first-time cruisers that I meet.... it gives them yet another reason to fall in love with cruising, and they see how friendly and kind MOST of us cruisers are!  

• Like 2

A benefit we rarely take advantage of. Wish we could trade it for two extra drinks. If we do get our pictures taken it's usually a goofy shot of us with one of the photo staff dressed in one of their stupid outfits at one the ports. 🥴