New cancellation policy

Jancruz

6 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Well, not so fast! The devil is in the details.

How about those of us that have effectively cancelled a cruise and then immediately rebooked to obtain new pricing or perks? By reading this, it will now cost us $150-$500 each to do so.

The devil is always in the details! 🍷🍷

I think you're making my point for me.  Simply put, they don't want you to have such an easy time doing that. Switching, upgrading, perk shopping costs them time and money.  Maybe this is a good loyalty test??? Will the avid O lovers fall out of love?? Strict rules haven't hurt Viking if these boards are reflective of the average premium line cruiser.

1 minute ago, the more ports the better said:

Like many posters, we have Allianz annual.  If you renew the policy each year prior to expiration, there are no issues with preexisting conditions.  I may be wrong on that though.  Can someone with more experience give their opinion.

Yes, that is true.  We have Allianz annual, also.

6 hours ago, Sebbiesgrammy said:

I think you're making my point for me.  Simply put, they don't want you to have such an easy time doing that. Switching, upgrading, perk shopping costs them time and money.  Maybe this is a good loyalty test??? Will the avid O lovers fall out of love?? Strict rules haven't hurt Viking if these boards are reflective of the average premium line cruiser.

I think most "avid O lovers" purchase onboard and get a price guarantee so upgrades. sales, and the like are a given (mostly). I will keep my on whether this policy continues.

Edited by AMHuntFerry

11 hours ago, ORV said:

Not necessarily so, there are companies that allow you to have pre-existing conditions covered, as long as you purchase them by the Final Payment date. 

I honestly was not aware of this availability.  Admittedly I haven’t looked specifically for this since Covid, but in the past I didn’t find it. That certainly doesn’t mean it isn’t out there. So this is really good to know. Thank you. 
Follow up to this suggest that it is higher cost, but knowing it’s possible is a good thing  in case I drop the ball. For me, I just would rather check that box early on in the process. 

14 hours ago, ORV said:

Not necessarily so, there are companies that allow you to have pre-existing conditions covered, as long as you purchase them by the Final Payment date. 

In addition, some companies cover pre-existing conditions if you pay a smaller premium for your deposit & the rest when you make final payment. I usually book 1-2 years ahead so nice to not tie up my money that long.

As one who cruises on many different lines I think that I is simply embracing the trend we see with many lines.  Too many folks play the “book many dates- later cancel most” game which creates problems for both legitimate bookers and the cruise lines.  A “pay to play” scheme makes a lot of sense.

Seabourn has a slightly different tact which usually requires large refundable deposits.  We are talking about thousands of dollars…which does make many folks hesitate to book until they are sure.

Hank

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

I honestly was not aware of this availability.  Admittedly I haven’t looked specifically for this since Covid, but in the past I didn’t find it. That certainly doesn’t mean it isn’t out there. So this is really good to know. Thank you. 
Follow up to this suggest that it is higher cost, but knowing it’s possible is a good thing  in case I drop the ball. For me, I just would rather check that box early on in the process. 

What I've found with the company that I used when I had this come up is that the price was similar but some of the coverages were not as good. 

11 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

Steve at the Tripinsurance store ( he posts on the insurance boards on cruisecritic) is a great resource- have used his company to book travel insurance at the time of initial deposit and also later on

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Vertygo said:

In addition, some companies cover pre-existing conditions if you pay a smaller premium for your deposit & the rest when you make final payment. I usually book 1-2 years ahead so nice to not tie up my money that long.

We always do this as well for the same reason. I just was not aware that you could wait until final payment and still have pre-existing covered. I usually use insuremytrip.com or squaremouth, but will add Steve to my list. So thanks for this Information. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elbig said:

Doesn’t Viking have something like pay in full 12 months in advance?

12-18. Unless you have a trip already booked, then it is 6 months. We’ve done that in the past. A few times. One of the BIG disadvantages IMO. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lorna Doone said:

When we booked our Vista Cruise of 10 days cancellation was no charge greater than 121 days.  Has this policy changed and if so when?

I believe it  changed   in the past  couple of months   to 180 days & you lose the $250 Admin fee

See the  cruise contract  page 5 & 6

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/sites/default/files/2023-02/oceania-guest-ticket-contract-new.pdf

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Lorna Doone said:

When we booked our Vista Cruise of 10 days cancellation was no charge greater than 121 days.  Has this policy changed and if so when?

The Guest Statement rules when you booked the cruise are the ones that apply to your cruise. The new changes will affect bookings made after Sept 1st.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2023 at 2:17 PM, DrHemlock said:

And if the cruise you're canceling was booked while aboard an earlier cruise so the total deposit for two pax came to only $500, how will O extract the extra $500?  Attempt to charge it to the c/c you used many moons ago to pay the original deposit?  Send a couple of bruisers to ring your doorbell?  Inquiring minds....  

On 8/18/2023 at 4:20 PM, Jancruz said:

Interesting question let me check on Monday..

By the way here in Ventura county (LA) we are expecting our first Hurricane ever on Sunday..since we are on the beach moving to our daughters further inland..

Jancruz1

You are liable per O ticket contract.  Just looked in the cruise documents we just received for Sep cruise it says:

"If the cancellation charge is more than Your advance payment, You agree to be liable to Us for the difference."

I doubt that O will change those words. 

3 minutes ago, DanOnboard said:

You are liable per O ticket contract.  Just looked in the cruise documents we just received for Sep cruise it says:

"If the cancellation charge is more than Your advance payment, You agree to be liable to Us for the difference."

I doubt that O will change those words. 

I think most  deposits  are  $500 PP  or more 

after final payment  they  have enough of your money to cover the penalties

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

I think most  deposits  are  $500 PP  or more 

Unless it's changed recently, the onboard booking deposit was $500 total for any cruise.  It is (or was) one of the inducements offered by O for booking onboard.

Thanks to DanOnboard (above) for finding that info in the ticket contract.  It answers at least one of my questions.

58 minutes ago, DrHemlock said:

Unless it's changed recently, the onboard booking deposit was $500 total for any cruise.  It is (or was) one of the inducements offered by O for booking onboard.

Yes  when you book On the ship the deposit is lower

AFAIK  the booking onboard deposit is $250 PP 

On 8/18/2023 at 10:33 PM, Jancruz said:

Thank you all  for the kind words..never been in a hurricane before....I will check on Monday for the answers to any questions..you post over the weekend and the ones that have been asked here..

Jancruz1

Here we go!

If they move their onboard booking to another cruise they do not get charged a penalty for their first booking as they are allowed to move it to another cruise (one time).

If they have paid $500 deposit and they cancel, we do not charge the difference on the penalty.  We can only charge the penalty on the amount collected.

Jancruz1

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jancruz said:

Here we go!

If they move their onboard booking to another cruise they do not get charged a penalty for their first booking as they are allowed to move it to another cruise (one time).

If they have paid $500 deposit and they cancel, we do not charge the difference on the penalty.  We can only charge the penalty on the amount collected.

Jancruz1

Thanks Jan, hope the weather is not too bad there. 

1 minute ago, Jancruz said:

Better than expected we just had rain no wind..how is the new house??

Jancruz1

Glad to hear it wasn't as bad as expected.

They're pouring the driveway today. The heat index here today is supposed to be around 105-110. I feel bad for those guys out there smoothing the concrete out. 

About a month till we move in.