New cancellation policy

Jancruz

Heard today..

As of September 1

Once you put a deposit down $150 per person penalty..no credit no refund you lose this money

180 Days $500 a person no credit no refund you lose this money

You cannot move it to another cruise

Sorry to have to bring you this news..

Jancruz1

PS Dont shoot the messanger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 10
  • Haha 1

That will certainly eliminate those that hold up inventory, in the hopes of deciding later.

May also prevent some from booking all together.

We have only cancelled a couple of cruises due to illness,  those were always covered by insurance. 

Thank you for posting this.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

That will certainly eliminate those that hold up inventory, in the hopes of deciding later.

I do not think  $150  would deter people from booking  to hold space  until they decide

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Jancruz said:

Heard today..

As of September 1

Once you put a deposit down $150 per person penalty..no credit no refund you lose this money

Jancruz1

Is this only for bookings made after Sept 1? 

2 minutes ago, julia said:

In that scenario, I would avoid Oceania entirely, unless it was a last minute booking. Far too many variables in life...

That is what travel insurance is for......we never cruise without it

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Industry average 3 bookings per actual cruise taken. You now have to pay to play. No real surprises, and as Lyn said this really won’t slow down most of Oceania’s cruisers. Chump change to most as is the deposit.

The Travel Agents are still betting SM shore tour dollars will soon only become available for use after final cruise payment.

The practice of some booking 5-6 cruises per year upon release and then settling later upon 1-2 finally has small consequences. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Jancruz said:

And if the cruise you're canceling was booked while aboard an earlier cruise so the total deposit for two pax came to only $500, how will O extract the extra $500?  Attempt to charge it to the c/c you used many moons ago to pay the original deposit?  Send a couple of bruisers to ring your doorbell?  Inquiring minds....  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

@Jancruz Can you clarify something for me please?

"You cannot move it to another cruise "

Does this mean that the deposit cannot be moved to a different cruise, say, 1 year before the booked cruise (i.e, I put a $500 deposit down on cruise1, but one year before my cruise I want to cancel and book a different cruise (cruise2); in this case I would be refunded $350 that I could use toward my new cruise).

Thanks!

25 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Chump change to most as is the deposit.

Perhaps to those who cruise in PH and above.  A grand is a much lower percentage of their fares than it would be for those in lower categories (assuming they do so because that's what they can afford) for whom it would represent a far more significant penalty.  And I know there are frequent posters here who regularly book insides and window cabins, because they say so!

Edited by DrHemlock
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Jancruz said:

Heard today..

As of September 1

Jancruz1

Thanks for this info. Does the above still stand if you have a future cruise deposit that was booked onboard? I understand one of the perks of that was that you could make one change?

I recently got hit with a $500.00 non-refundable cancellation penalty from Silversea on a cruise that was over a year away. However, I can apply it to the cost of any other Silversea cruise I might book over the next four years, which does take a bit of the sting out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrHemlock said:

Perhaps to those who cruise in PH and above.  A grand is a much lower percentage of their fares than it would be for those in lower categories (assuming they do so because that's what they can afford) for whom it would represent a far more significant penalty.  And I know there are frequent posters here who regularly book insides and window cabins, because they say so!

We were required to place $1k deposit on a cruise for next year. We are not in PH. Not close. 
I think they are following Viking to a certain degree, although you used to be able to transfer it with them. Do not know current status

2 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

We were required to place $1k deposit on a cruise for next year. We are not in PH. Not close. 
I think they are following Viking to a certain degree, although you used to be able to transfer it with them. Do not know current status

If we're talking about Oceania, then it's been $750 per person for years. If you got a deposit for 1K then it was a special deal. 

16 minutes ago, ORV said:

If we're talking about Oceania, then it's been $750 per person for years. If you got a deposit for 1K then it was a special deal. 

Well that is good to know! Thank you!  First cruise with O and it was part of a promotion. 

2 hours ago, DrHemlock said:

And if the cruise you're canceling was booked while aboard an earlier cruise so the total deposit for two pax came to only $500, how will O extract the extra $500?  Attempt to charge it to the c/c you used many moons ago to pay the original deposit?  Send a couple of bruisers to ring your doorbell?  Inquiring minds....  

Interesting question let me check on Monday..

By the way here in Ventura county (LA) we are expecting our first Hurricane ever on Sunday..since we are on the beach moving to our daughters further inland..

Jancruz1

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ToxM said:

Thanks for this info. Does the above still stand if you have a future cruise deposit that was booked onboard? I understand one of the perks of that was that you could make one change?

Checking on Monday

Jancruz1

• Like 1