New cancellation policy

Jancruz

3 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

Very true. Let me rephrase. With the new cancellation policy, does the penalty at 181 days change to $500 pp. 

NO

It kicks in at 180 days

Categories PH and Below

DAYS PRIOR TO CRUISE SAIL DATE - CANCELLATION AMOUNT

181+ Days prior - $150 Admin Fee pp

180-151 Days Prior - $500 Admin Fee pp

150-121 Days Prior - 25% of Fare

120-91 Days Prior - 50% of Fare

90-61 Days Prior - 75% of Fare

60-0 Days Prior - 100% of Fare

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

Hmmm. I hope the website (somewhere) clearly states the cancellation policy when doing an online booking. If the first time you see/read this information on your invoice, it’s already too late? Is there a cooling off period during which you can change your mind (i.e., cancel)?
If you spoke with someone and asked for a courtesy hold, fine. Read the (courtesy hold) invoice. But, if you pulled the trigger already……..? OUCH!

Why would you deposit without reading your invoice 1st????

Jancruz1

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Harry Lake said:

As I've written before, how many people buy houses every day without reading the paperwork?

This is why you always buy a house with a realtor and a lawyer. And this is why you should always use a TA to book a cruise. And if you don't, then don't complain that they are trying to screw you..

• Like 3

Always get a copy of the invoice first.

Review everything - including all the cancellation details.

Everything OK? Make your deposit. At some point people need to take responsibility for their actions / decisions.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Jancruz said:

Jancruz1

I don’t think I have ever made a complete booking online, as I travel solo and I need the help of my TA to get everything booked correctly.
But, if someone reserves/books online and uses their credit card to make the required deposit, then haven’t they already paid the deposit prior to receiving any invoice?

My question was asking whether the booking process clearly identifies the non-refundable deposit……Or, is there a “cooling off” period?

23 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

I don’t think I have ever made a complete booking online, as I travel solo and I need the help of my TA to get everything booked correctly.
But, if someone reserves/books online and uses their credit card to make the required deposit, then haven’t they already paid the deposit prior to receiving any invoice?

My question was asking whether the booking process clearly identifies the non-refundable deposit……Or, is there a “cooling off” period?

This is how we occasionally made reservations early on.

The "invoice" aka "receipt" aka "confirmation" arrived by email shortly *after* we submitted all the information, including charge card info... and it showed payment received.
That wasn't just Oceania.

So yes, anything that initially appears for the passenger in that document would be in the "too late" time period.

Whether there was any critical information that wasn't disclosed previously, such as on the website... I don't remember.  I don't remember being surprised by any rules so I'm guessing that the terms and conditions were shown somewhere online.  But my memory... "who knows"? 😱

GC

• Like 1

@ak1004 I don’t use TA’s as they are a third party you put in the transaction.  Many legal implications…How many TA’s give clients a copy of the ticket contract before booking the cruise for them?  Do they disclose their financial relationship with the cruise line?  Do they advise them of dangers and maritime laws? Considering the ticket contract states that the cruise line is not responsible if the TA doesn’t give it to you it is a relationship ripe with conflicts of interests.  Purchasing a house is completely different then booking a cruise.  There are agency disclosures required for real estate agents and many consumer protections and state laws in those transactions.  

8 minutes ago, Pandazoo said:

@ak1004 I don’t use TA’s as they are a third party you put in the transaction.  Many legal implications…How many TA’s give clients a copy of the ticket contract before booking the cruise for them?  Do they disclose their financial relationship with the cruise line?  Do they advise them of dangers and maritime laws? Considering the ticket contract states that the cruise line is not responsible if the TA doesn’t give it to you it is a relationship ripe with conflicts of interests.  Purchasing a house is completely different then booking a cruise.  There are agency disclosures required for real estate agents and many consumer protections and state laws in those transactions.  

If the TA doesn’t give you the Ticket Contract prior to taking payment you need to ask them. They usually just forward everything that Oceania sends them when they place a hold, which includes the Invoice and Ticket Contract.  I guess if you don’t want to use a TA, then it is up to YOU the consumer to do your homework and get answers to the issues you have some concern with prior to making your initial payment. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Jancruz said:

Jancruz1

Jancruz is correct.  Always request a quote before paying a deposit.  You can do this with a travel agent or with Oceania directly.  You will receive an "option" invoice with the terms, including price, stateroom and cancellation terms.  I review this document before deciding to pay the deposit.  If I choose to make a deposit, I immediately calendar all cancellation dates and the final payment date.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Pandazoo said:

“Bad chemicals and bad ideas were the Yin and Yang of madness.”

Kurt Vonnegut, Breakfast of Champions

• Haha 3

48 minutes ago, Pandazoo said:

Our agent forwards to us the O invoice showing all information including the T and C and we have a few days to read over before approving the payment of deposit.. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Pandazoo said:

We get all the information from our TA. I believe most TAs provide a copy of the reservation - if they don't, find a TA who does. What do I care about their financial relationship with the cruise line?

My TA not only protects my interests, but also provides me generous rebates, many times in the 10-12% range. There is zero reason for me not to use a TA, but everyone is different. I don't see any conflict of interest, but again, it's your money.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

When anyone attempts to make a booking online I believe there’s an option to put the reservation on hold. Then Oceania will send a hold email with all the details and terms and conditions. One can proceed with the deposit after reviewing the invoice.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

TA’s are great until they’re not.  For example the cruises in the Middle East and the changes with people expecting FCC and refunds etc. when it clearly states in their ticket contracts not going to happen.  How many TA’s were able to get refunds or FCC’s?  Like I said rarely do people get their ticket contract or are advised of all the clauses and dangers before TA’s book…especially newbie consumers.  As far as not caring about the legal ramifications that is your choice.  I prefer to be aware of them. Getting a good financial deal can be had without TA’s.  The maritime legal profession is booming and many TA’s get insurance to cover being sued by clients…Just food for thought.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pandazoo said:

Like I said rarely do people get their ticket contract or are advised of all the clauses and dangers before TA’s book…especially newbie consumers. 

Yes, you said that, then several people advised that was actually not the case.

You can go onto the Oceania site right this second.  Do a booking, request a hold (all without speaking to anyone) and you will receive an invoice via email that you can peruse before you make a deposit.  The same applies if you ask your TA to do so with a one week hold to review the invoice. 

In my case over several bookings, I received the invoice from both Oceania and my TA within minutes of each other.  They contained all the attachments that come with an invoice upon deposit.  

Nothing is being concealed in this transaction, absolutely nothing.

A customer choosing not to read an invoice or contract is not the same as a company concealing the terms or conditions.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You get the invoice but not the ticket contract.  After a deposit is paid you get the contract. You have to search to find it on the cruise website otherwise.   A poster suggested the TA looks out for their interests…do they?  Just as many cruisers believe the cruise lines look out for their (passengers) interests.   Read the ticket contract and tell me whose interests are looked out for.   TA’s get paid from the cruise line.  When you use a TA you are putting a third party into the transaction.  I would just suggest some online searches regarding legal cases.  A little research goes a long way.  All I am saying is be informed.  Safe travels everyone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pandazoo said:

You get the invoice but not the ticket contract.  After a deposit is paid you get the contract. You have to search to find it on the cruise website otherwise.   A poster suggested the TA looks out for their interests…do they?  Just as many cruisers believe the cruise lines look out for their (passengers) interests.   Read the ticket contract and tell me whose interests are looked out for.   TA’s get paid from the cruise line.  When you use a TA you are putting a third party into the transaction.  I would just suggest some online searches regarding legal cases.  A little research goes a long way.  All I am saying is be informed.  Safe travels everyone.

You do get the ticket contract when you do a hold. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Pandazoo said:

TA’s are great until they’re not.  For example the cruises in the Middle East and the changes with people expecting FCC and refunds etc. when it clearly states in their ticket contracts not going to happen.  How many TA’s were able to get refunds or FCC’s?  Like I said rarely do people get their ticket contract or are advised of all the clauses and dangers before TA’s book…especially newbie consumers.  As far as not caring about the legal ramifications that is your choice.  I prefer to be aware of them. Getting a good financial deal can be had without TA’s.  The maritime legal profession is booming and many TA’s get insurance to cover being sued by clients…Just food for thought.  

The real question is how many TA’s were able to get refunds or FCC’s vs. people getting refunds or FCC’s on their own? There are at least few evidences on CC from people who said that it took intervention of the agency president to get a refund after trying on their own. A well connected TA can do a lot for their clients.

But even if the added value was zero in terms of service, it's still worth to use them for the perks. Since switching to our current TA, we are consistently paying 10-12% less compared to those who book directly.

But as I said, your money, your call. To me it's pretty obvious, and not really worth any further discussion.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

To me it's pretty obvious, and not really worth any further discussion.

I truly have got to the point of not wasting keystrokes trying to help some people.

A. They don't want help.

B. They really don't understand the system, and what's really sad is when they think they know something others don't. 

As you said, not worth further discussion. 

Edited by ORV
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, ORV said:

I truly have got to the point of not wasting keystrokes trying to help some people.

A. They don't want help.

B. They really don't understand the system, and what's really sad is when they think they know something others don't. 

As you said, not worth further discussion. 

You cannot reason a person out of a position they didn't reason themself into.

• Like 6