Anyone on the Emerald Princess right now?

suzyed

1 hour ago, suzyed said:

Looking forward to it....thanks!

I can give you recent observations right now. The ship and the food?

We left the ship on the 21st, the day the current sailing embarked.

The MDR menus most nights did not grab us either. Overall food was disappointing. I would get a full plate in the buffet and could only stand a bite or two of any item, then go and get some fruits. Eventually I just ate fruits.

My weight is down 2.5 pounds from embarkation day. (On the positive side, I now have a plan for future weight loss.)Tell your family to try the Beef Rendang in the buffet. This is as good as one can get in Singapore. Desserts visually becon, but these rarely deliver as on previous cruises. Lightly flavored mousses mostly.

It says something that a lot of passengers filed a route deviation and left the ship a day early in Los Angeles. This was at a loss of a paid day aboard, air change charges, hotel and food.

Not my intent to bash, only validate what your family is telling you. Happy that sunviking90 is enjoying the cruise.

• Like 2

I am also on this sailing. I sailed Emerald July 1-6 as well. 
The ship is in fine condition. They installed newly varnished wooden rails on the forward upper decks yesterday. The decks themselves are in great shape! 

The furniture throughout is mostly excellent and new. I happen to be sitting in club fusion this morning while my steward does my cabin (Emerald deck mini ). The couch and chairs are in pristine condition (I’ll attach a photo). The table is in very good condition with just a small mark or two. 

I found the furniture in Explorers lounge to also be excellent. 

I saw one chair in skywalkers where the seat had a small stain. No big deal. 

My cabin is in perfect working order. The bed however does need to be replaced. I was given a first impressions card and just turned it in today (day 4). After giving kudos to specific outstanding crew and services I did mention the mattress. I’ll let you know if it gets replaced. 

I feel  room stewards are really the most important crew member on board. I am fortunate to have a 20 year veteran who is doing an exemplary job. In my top 5 best ever stewards. 

yes I’ve noticed some new crew. It seems they’ve hired crew with very limited English skills and gave relegated them to room service delivery. I’ve met several now They try hard but they really can’t understand or communicate well. It’s ok and it’s all working out I have no complaints. 

I eat in MDR for lunch and breakfast about a third of the time and I’ve yet to make it there for dinner. I do not have a package. I activated ON on day 3 (took me that long to want room service). It’s been excellent so far. There is no tv room service so you must use the ap. Unless I just completely am missing it. I looked and could not find how to order on the tv. 

from the ap 

I ordered Caesar, garden and chef salads, burger with potato chips & chicken fingers. All were excellent arriving either hot or cold as appropriate in less than 30 minutes. 

Using my door hanger I wrote in a cheese omelet with 2 pieces of sausage and it came piping hot. Although both mornings my order came at 6:50 am when I selected 7-7:30. 

I asked my steward for a kettle and received one right away!  I had brought in my ground coffee and Aeropress coffee maker and mug. I really prefer that to the ships coffee. 

I prepaid for 7 cases of water (for a 19 day hot as hot gets sailing!). 

I carried on a case of my favorite white wines (and my nice wine glass). 

I am using my OBC to pay for wifi and grats. I’m going to try planks and salty dog pub once each as well as Sabatinis. 

I would buy the plus package and not drag wine on but honestly I only like one or 2 of the whites princess stocks   I just can’t drink the same thing everyday. Sooo boring. That said Pamela in Crooners is my favorite afternoon visit for a glass of Silverado  Sauvignon blanc. 

So doing it this way I am still over $300 ahead. I am elite do my wifi is only $7.5 a day. 

I was going to start a live from but didn’t want the responsibility of it. Thanks for starting this thread. I’ll check in and answer any questions I can. 

club fusion 

image.jpg

image.jpg
club fusion carpet looks brand new too 

image.jpg
room service this morning using door hanger last night 

IMG_4672.jpeg
yesterday's breakfast using door hanger  

IMG_4647.jpeg
love getting on top of the bridge!!! Love those benches 

IMG_4626.jpeg

second sailing now with the best chicken korma on first sea day. Yes he brought extra cilantro and raisins too. 

IMG_4603.jpeg

IMG_4602.jpeg

eggs Florentine…. That’s a real poached egg!  Not egg baked in cup  

IMG_4589.jpeg
officer board 

IMG_4583.jpeg

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

I can give you recent observations right now. The ship and the food?

We left the ship on the 21st, the day the current sailing embarked.

The MDR menus most nights did not grab us either. Overall food was disappointing. I would get a full plate in the buffet and could only stand a bite or two of any item, then go and get some fruits. Eventually I just ate fruits.

My weight is down 2.5 pounds from embarkation day. (On the positive side, I now have a plan for future weight loss.)Tell your family to try the Beef Rendang in the buffet. This is as good as one can get in Singapore. Desserts visually becon, but these rarely deliver as on previous cruises. Lightly flavored mousses mostly.

It says something that a lot of passengers filed a route deviation and left the ship a day early in Los Angeles. This was at a loss of a paid day aboard, air change charges, hotel and food.

Not my intent to bash, only validate what your family is telling you. Happy that sunviking90 is enjoying the cruise.

In all fairness there was a tropical storm bearing down on so cal the 21st that some people probably chose to get out ahead of. I seriously doubt it had to do with food  for the majority. 

• Like 8

Our group just completed an 11 day Alaska cruise on the Crown (Sister Ship). We realized it was an older ship when we booked, but the cruise, food and service was wonderful. Cabins showing some age but other than that no complaints and would do it again. All subjective of course.

• Like 5

I’ll let the pictures speak to the condition of the ship. 

IMG_4692.jpeg
explorers

IMG_4691.jpeg
explorers

IMG_4690.jpeg
explorers

IMG_4689.jpeg

explorers

IMG_4688.jpeg

explorers

IMG_4687.jpeg

out side explorers

IMG_4686.jpeg
out side explorers

IMG_4685.jpeg
promenade had to look hard but finally found a little rust. 

IMG_4684.jpeg
promenade

IMG_4683.jpeg

promenade

IMG_4682.jpeg

promenade

IMG_4681.jpeg

promenade

IMG_4680.jpeg

promenade

IMG_4679.jpeg

promenade

IMG_4678.jpeg

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

I’ll let the pictures speak to the condition of the ship. 

IMG_4692.jpeg

IMG_4691.jpeg

IMG_4690.jpeg

IMG_4689.jpeg

IMG_4688.jpeg

IMG_4687.jpeg

IMG_4686.jpeg

IMG_4685.jpeg

IMG_4684.jpeg

IMG_4683.jpeg

IMG_4682.jpeg

IMG_4681.jpeg

IMG_4680.jpeg

IMG_4679.jpeg

IMG_4678.jpeg

Can I just jump in your pictures?  Love, love, love that ship and the memories we made with family and crew!

Their Korma is delicious! 

Looks like you're in Mazatlan today from looking at the photos off deck 7 looking at the Nissan staging and lighthouse hike (calves burn workout!).

Edited by startedwithamouse
  • Like 4

54 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

In all fairness there was a tropical storm bearing down on so cal the 21st that some people probably chose to get out ahead of. I seriously doubt it had to do with food  for the majority. 

What I wrote was true and fair. I live in LA. The storm had passed to the east of LA and while overcast and drizzling on arrival the 20th, blue skies on the 21st.

I did not say people left the ship because of the food nor speculate why anyone chose to leave the ship, only commented, "It says something." True, there were several disappointments on our sailing. But that is neither here nor there for the current cruise or passengers and so I did not mention them. If you wish to engage in speculation and why others do what they do, it was not in my comment.

Oh, BTW. Really wish you a great cruise!

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 1

Having been both on Crown and Emerald (15 night cruise I think on Emerald and 11 night cruise on Crown) since November. I have to say most of things on both ships are in great condition. The main issue is that Princess just hasn't updated their color schemes through out the ship so it looks older and outdated because of it. Most things on both ships were in pretty good shape. I do have to say my mattress on the Crown was bad.

I have friends who have recently sailed older NCL ships and they said those ships looked "more modern" than Princess but they are comparing color schemes, buffet layouts, etc.... These were coming from new cruisers who had tried both ships recently.

Menus - I think there was a huge decline but that is another story.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The décor is definitely dated.  This is true for all grand class ships that are 20 years old or approaching.  Wish Princess replaced the busy patterns with more sold colors or more modern patterns and got rid of the murals during the refurb.  Also wish that they did more to cabins aside from changing to Princess beds and linens.  The all the mirrors in the cabin are a dead give away of the ship's age.  Ship cabins are no longer decorated in this manner.  Celebrity changed the décor of their older ship's like the Millennium, during refurb which makes their older ships more in tune with contemporary times.  Also it's worth a look at the P&O Pacific Adventure, which was the former Golden Princess; P&O's refurb made the public spaces more contemporary.

The Emerald is still in fine condition and can't complain about the promenade deck.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

Can I just jump in your pictures?  Love, love, love that ship and the memories we made with family and crew!

Their Korma is delicious! 

Looks like you're in Mazatlan today from looking at the photos off deck 7 looking at the Nissan staging and lighthouse hike (calves burn workout!).

I think it looks fine for an old ship! Yes, the new ships look better but I wouldn't have a problem with the ship.  Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

Gotta add my vote for the Emerald.  Did the California coastal this past June.  Had a wonderful time.  Thought the ship was well-maintained with quality staff.  Didn't go hungry or thirsty!

A few more comments: had our 4th dinner in the MDR last night and DH and I were both commenting on how pleased we are with the food. I’ve had lamb 2 nights in a row (along with mint sauce, yum) and it’s been great. DH has enjoyed the fish dishes he’s had. We have been cruising since our 20’s over 30 years ago, so we have realistic expectations and have seen and accepted the declines in food, but we are pretty happy with everything so far. Last night I had the BEST key lime pie! I sometimes make my own with an authentic Florida recipe and this was almost as good. 

Planks and Steamers is now open on this ship and it is $14.99.  Last night was Planks, and we were told it will be open every 3 nights. Tonight Steamers will be open on the other side. We may try Planks one night as we will have “just” enough OBC left to cover. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, sunviking90 said:

A few more comments: had our 4th dinner in the MDR last night and DH and I were both commenting on how pleased we are with the food. I’ve had lamb 2 nights in a row (along with mint sauce, yum) and it’s been great. DH has enjoyed the fish dishes he’s had. We have been cruising since our 20’s over 30 years ago, so we have realistic expectations and have seen and accepted the declines in food, but we are pretty happy with everything so far. Last night I had the BEST key lime pie! I sometimes make my own with an authentic Florida recipe and this was almost as good. 

Planks and Steamers is now open on this ship and it is $14.99.  Last night was Planks, and we were told it will be open every 3 nights. Tonight Steamers will be open on the other side. We may try Planks one night as we will have “just” enough OBC left to cover. 

Thanks for the report! 🙂 Key lime is the best! Do you use Nellie and Joe's recipe?

Edited by Coral

2 hours ago, sunviking90 said:

It will be interesting to see how popular these are. I wonder if they will end up allowing reservations for these two, now that they’re free for some. 

2 hours ago, Coral said:

Thanks for the report! 🙂 Key lime is the best! Do you use Nellie and Joe's recipe?

I don’t remember, but that does ring a bell. I have it printed out at home. I do use regular limes, not key limes though. They’re a little scarce in Vancouver!

44 minutes ago, canadarocks said:

It will be interesting to see how popular these are. I wonder if they will end up allowing reservations for these two, now that they’re free for some. 

They were recommending reservations, but it wasn’t at all full.

4 hours ago, sunviking90 said:

We've found the food to be much better on the Emerald than Discovery.  

3 hours ago, sunviking90 said:

I don’t remember, but that does ring a bell. I have it printed out at home. I do use regular limes, not key limes though. They’re a little scarce in Vancouver!

We have a difficult buying key limes where I live also. I buy Nellie and Joe's key lime juice and use of two of their recipes (I like them both). 

• Like 1

We sailed on the Emerald in June 2022 and I'm still livid about it. Worst part was the spa - the staff there were just super rude and unhelpful; so many things wrong with the experience I had at my appointment (I won't bore people) but my tip is to NOT bother with a day pass to the spa, unless they have done a refurb? Scope it out first at any rate. It was dark, cold and dingy.....no instructions on the various showers, freezing cold water which came out in a tiny drizzle - 0k so maybe you want a cold shower after the barely warm-ish sauna, but how do you heat yourself back up so you can relax in what feels like a cheap gym changing room?? The steam room had leaky taps running, no toiletries, no bath gowns, 2 x 50USD totally wasted. The food everywhere was incredibly average, bar the pizza and the burgers on the pool deck which were pretty decent actually. The quizzes were dire, the all-inclusive wine was stinking (wine at the little wine bar was good but they had ran out of certain wines even on day 1.) They only ever had one side of the buffet on even though the ship was pretty full....selection was limited and quality poor. Food at the supplement paying restaurants was better - we put it down to Princess being overall a budget cruise line, but it was our first (and last) experience anyways.

I was on the Emerald's first sailing after the apocalypse. No issues with the condition or maintenance of the ship. Some of the color choices, cabinetry are not "modern", but the ship was in fine condition.

Though, I can appreciate dated designs being unappealing to some, though I don't agree that it makes it in "bad condition".

• Like 1