Britannia broke her lines

kalos

7 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Bearing in mind that there’s 5000 passengers, it would take some time to sift out those that would volunteer to go home early. From a logistical point of view, it’s be easier and quicker to have a list of passengers and crew that would have to leave, whether they like it or not. Very unfortunate if someone doesn’t want to go, though 

It can't be as cut and dried as that. 

We cruise because Michelle can't fly, she is having panic attacks here in case it ever happened to us and we are sitting at home😂

Andy 

• Like 8

Just now, AndyMichelle said:

It can't be as cut and dried as that. 

We cruise because Michelle can't fly, she is having panic attacks here in case it ever happened to us and we are sitting at home😂

Andy 

No doubt there will have to be exceptions, but even resolving the exceptions is a logistical challenge 

2 minutes ago, JFM334 said:

My dad has had it confirmed by reception that no one will be forced off the boat if they don’t want to fly

I’ve resolved never to fly again, and would rather chew off my right arm that set foot on a plane again. 

But I could fly if it was absolutely necessary, so, if asked, I would probably say  yes

• Like 5

1 hour ago, nosapphire said:

Can't see that happening. The number of liferatfts allow for one side of the ship to be pretty much unuseable and still get everybody off. Don't make the mistake of thinking that the emergency capacity is the same as the tender capacity, and don't forget the liferafts are not just the big ones used for tendering. Although if the itinerary has to be changed too much to allow for repairs, then the entire cruise may get cut short.

In the (rare) instances when there has been a drama at sea or in port, invariably weather related (those mooring lines do go off with a bang when they snap) it leaves me feeling safer, rather than anxious, because it immediately becomes apparent how well trained and competent the officers and crew are to handle an emergency.

The folk on board have received a letter that they may need to fly some passengers home as maritime law may compel them to reduce the number of passengers due to the damage.

25 minutes ago, HalifaxYorksCruiser said:

Letter delivered to our cabin - deck 8

IMG_4862.thumb.jpeg.9cf316bf7f3157d508b0f2865a500d87.jpeg

This is fine if you are able to fly.  My husband has health issues that prevent him from flying which is why we cruise 3 or 4 times a year.  I am absolutely sure that we are not the only ones in this position but it is a concern for us and others with health issues.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I don’t think people need to panic about being forced off the ship if they can’t or won’t fly. I’m pretty sure that if you were in the affected group and you can’t fly then P&O would look for volunteers to fill the quota. You would probably need to move cabin for muster reasons though.

• Like 6

Things happen.   I would rather be safe, i am sure that those impacted with having to leave the ship will have some sort of package offers to them regarding the shirting of their cruise and any future cruise discount.

If the ship had sustained damage that it legally could not carry passengers then everyone would be flying home.   But thankfully that is not the case.

if they have to cancel a future cruise for a checkup.  Then it has to be.   People can kick and scream all they like.  

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, heatherb1958 said:

I hope the folks who are having to fly home are able to leave their main luggage onboard and it is delivered to their home..can you imagine the excess baggage charges.. I know we never travel light out of Southampton 

We are due on the next cruise.....then maybe we are not now. I will still pack until I hear otherwise. 

It will be a dedicated charter flight im

told. P&O will pick up the full tab including luggage charges.

28 minutes ago, JFM334 said:

My dad has had it confirmed by reception that no one will be forced off the boat if they don’t want to fly

Correct - those who cannot fly won’t be forced.

25 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

If I was on the next cruise, I would be bracing myself for the news that it might not happen 

I’ve seen no notice that it’s cancelled yet. I would be expecting reduced capacity (if it was full).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1st September cruise is still listed on the website but is sold out. Which presumably either means it is sold out or cancelled. But, heh, the map on the website shows a port call where St Petersburg is. Itinerary updated, map not. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Seems 100 passengers and crew from deck 8, which is where the lifeboats live, are being flown home, doesn't seem like they had a choice. 

Andy 

But if one lifeboat is out of service then there will need to be considerably more than 100 being flown home as, from memory, a lifeboat when used as a lifeboat and not a tender carries around 400 persons.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, lancashire_cruisers said:

I don’t think people need to panic about being forced off the ship if they can’t or won’t fly. I’m pretty sure that if you were in the affected group and you can’t fly then P&O would look for volunteers to fill the quota. You would probably need to move cabin for muster reasons though.

It is not that simple for non-flyers.  Who is going to take responsibility for finding us a way home that does'nt involve flying if everyone has to be disembarked.  The last time we flew the plane was met at Manchester by an ambulance to take DH to hospital and we wouldn't want a repeat of that.

5 minutes ago, david63 said:

But if one lifeboat is out of service then there will need to be considerably more than 100 being flown home as, from memory, a lifeboat when used as a lifeboat and not a tender carries around 400 persons.

Perhaps they can relocate some but not all? 

Moley also stated the capacity of the lifeboats and inflatables is larger.

Just passing on what is reported supposedly from passengers onboard. 

Andy 

7 minutes ago, david63 said:

And other equipment  for those 400 pax .

https://youtu.be/5yY2iuh2NUs?si=BX3MJxOJmNyWlCWt&t=272

As you say ,nothing like a tender when used in an emergency .