Britannia broke her lines

kalos

Symphony of the sea is currently moored next to us…. Happy to take a free transfer. Those slides look awesome lol. 

Highly doubt we will stop at Gib now just waiting to find out if and when we can sail again and enjoy the last few days. Feels like the whole ship is stuck in limbo but 100% rather this than set sail in a ship they weren’t sure on. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, TigerB said:

From @molecrochip yesterday:

' Do remember, there is surplus lifeboat / inflatable capacity so no need to be concerned. '

They have been given a letter and some are going to be requested to leave the ship 🚢 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, nosapphire said:

Can't see that happening. The number of liferatfts allow for one side of the ship to be pretty much unuseable and still get everybody off. Don't make the mistake of thinking that the emergency capacity is the same as the tender capacity, and don't forget the liferafts are not just the big ones used for tendering. Although if the itinerary has to be changed too much to allow for repairs, then the entire cruise may get cut short.

In the (rare) instances when there has been a drama at sea or in port, invariably weather related (those mooring lines do go off with a bang when they snap) it leaves me feeling safer, rather than anxious, because it immediately becomes apparent how well trained and competent the officers and crew are to handle an emergency.

Regulations require each side of cruise ships have enough lifeboats to accommodate 37.5% of the total number of persons on board (passengers and crew), 75% in total. Inflatable or rigid liferafts must accommodate the remaining 25% of passengers and crew. (SOLAS, Section II, Regulation 21, 1.1)

• Like 4

@Angel57 Yes you would think that, but it isn't always the case. The sea and winds can be incredibly powerful, and they do affect ships differently. Even on a seemingly calmer day it can all be very deceptive. 

I live at a port and the sights we have seen have been a real eye opener over the years. We had a very large tanker in the harbour at anchor one weekend, suddenly a cross wind picked up mid afternoon and it dragged the tanker on anchor towards the breakwater. They had to get the 4 tugs out and hold it in position all night. Similar happened to Azura when she was here at the very start of lockdown, she dragged on anchor and it was safer for her to go back out to Sea. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, CarlaMarie said:

Does anyone know how they decide who will fly home? I'm assuming it is to do with cabins of the muster station which the two damaged lifeboats are assigned to?

4 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

A copy of the letter was posted elsewhere. It said that some passengers would be asked to end their holiday early and be flown home. If that’s the case, it’s probably the passengers that are allocated to the damaged lifeboats 

Sounds logical to me to do it that way.  Mind you, I would not be one of those being asked to leave.

Hopefully if anyone does have to be voluntold to go home, they will be well looked after.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HalifaxYorksCruiser said:

Morning all. We are now berthed back at our original berth. Awaiting an update from the bridge. Weather today a lot cooler with light winds and partly cloudy. All I would add at this point is that on Saturday the weather forecast for Majorca on Sunday was for high winds and heavy rain and so I am not sure it was a great idea to stay in Palma. 

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

In hindsight maybe not but I could have imagined the uproar if the ship had not docked. We missed the Isle of Mull recently where the weather was forecast to be a bit wild and some people were still moaning, and that was a tender port.

We were on the QM2 when she snapped her ropes. It's quite a scary thing. 

However,  2 or 3 days into the cruise the captain announced that the forecast for Villefranche was not looking good and he had, therefore, taken the decision to cancel and we would go instead to Alghero, Sardinia.  Both these ports are tendered.  Apparently he made the right call as the weather was worse than expected and a Royal Caribbean ship had tried twice unsuccessfully to dock before giving up.

Did the captain on the Britannia have no advance warning at all, or was it just a sudden totally unexpected storm?

• Like 1

I hope the folks who are having to fly home are able to leave their main luggage onboard and it is delivered to their home..can you imagine the excess baggage charges.. I know we never travel light out of Southampton 

We are due on the next cruise.....then maybe we are not now. I will still pack until I hear otherwise. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Sounds logical to me to do it that way.  Mind you, I would not be one of those being asked to leave.

Hopefully if anyone does have to be voluntold to go home, they will be well looked after.

You would hope that is the most logical way of asking, as it should make sense to passengers (again you would hope!). 

I did wonder if this was going to happen when molecrochip said a team was on it's way to assist. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, babs135 said:

However,  2 or 3 days into the cruise the captain announced that the forecast for Villefranche was not looking good and he had, therefore, taken the decision to cancel and we would go instead to Alghero, Sardinia.  Both these ports are tendered.  Apparently he made the right call as the weather was worse than expected and a Royal Caribbean ship had tried twice unsuccessfully to dock before giving up.

Did the captain on the Britannia have no advance warning at all, or was it just a sudden totally unexpected storm?

Many questions to be answered by the Captain me thinks. Easy to comment with hindsight but I've missed ports when the weather and winds appear okay but the Captain has announced that the weather was expected to worsen so it would be a sea day..

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, babs135 said:

I was on Iona last Autumn and our captain kept making us laugh calling the mooring lines ‘hairy bits of string’.

Perhaps these ones were a bit frayed!

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Meant to say:

I would not want to be one of those being asked to leave.  Doh!

10 minutes ago, CarlaMarie said:

You would hope that is the most logical way of asking, as it should make sense to passengers (again you would hope!). 

I did wonder if this was going to happen when molecrochip said a team was on it's way to assist. 

I was working on the premise that not enough passengers would volunteer.  I doubt we would have volunteered.

8 minutes ago, CarlaMarie said:

Bearing in mind that there’s 5000 passengers, it would take some time to sift out those that would volunteer to go home early. From a logistical point of view, it’s be easier and quicker to have a list of passengers and crew that would have to leave, whether they like it or not. Very unfortunate if someone doesn’t want to go, though 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Bearing in mind that there’s 5000 passengers, it would take some time to sift out those that would volunteer to go home early. From a logistical point of view, it’s be easier and quicker to have a list of passengers and crew that would have to leave, whether they like it or not. Very unfortunate if someone doesn’t want to go, though 

Unfortunately, there will likely be some in that "chosen" group who cannot fly for one reason or the other.   Which is, of course, the reason they (and I would have had to include myself in that number) cruise from the UK.

• Like 8