Do you do afternoon tea?

sunsetme

33 minutes ago, sunsetme said:

we occasionally do this but is it out of fashion?

Never out of fashion, if it’s something you enjoy.  
MDR on sea days is great time to enjoy a relaxing tea.

We enjoy the elite tea in our room on sea days!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

We have done the Afternoon tea fairly often. We "could" have it in our cabin as we are Elite but haven't done so. We just attend the "regular" afternoon tea in the dining room. Often there aren't a lot of men there but it doesn't bother me a bit. We enjoy the "event" and have good conversations with the other folks at the table. The actual tea (beverage) itself is not exceptional. We do enjoy the scones with jam and cream.

Note: We have found the scones, etc. in the buffet as well. We weren't looking for them and were surprised but another passenger said they were a regular thing when the afternoon tea was scheduled in the dining room. Can't verify this but, as I said, we did find them there one day at the appropriate time. (We are rarely in the buffet at that time and were actually just passing through.)

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Thrak said:

We have done the Afternoon tea fairly often. We "could" have it in our cabin as we are Elite but haven't done so. We just attend the "regular" afternoon tea in the dining room. Often there aren't a lot of men there but it doesn't bother me a bit. We enjoy the "event" and have good conversations with the other folks at the table. The actual tea (beverage) itself is not exceptional. We do enjoy the scones with jam and cream.

Note: We have found the scones, etc. in the buffet as well. We weren't looking for them and were surprised but another passenger said they were a regular thing when the afternoon tea was scheduled in the dining room. Can't verify this but, as I said, we did find them there one day at the appropriate time. (We are rarely in the buffet at that time and were actually just passing through.)

Scones are in the buffet every afternoon on every Princess cruise we have been on for a long time.   We are not fans of drinking hot tea, but love the scones, hence our afternoon visit to the Horizon Court.   

I like the afternoon tea.  The clotted cream with the scones and the sandwiches are good.  The tea is nothing to write home about.  I don't find the sweets that appetizing. 

I only go one or two times a trip as it tends to ruin my dinner as I like to eat early.   I choose the days where the menu in the MDR is not appealing to me. 

If you really want a treat try the Royal Tea on the royal class ships. It has a $10 charge, or at least used to, but it is very swanky! You get a lot of food and a different tea with each course. It is in the Piazza on a certain day and you have to sign up for it in advance. I hope since COVID it's actually still operating. It was fantastic!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kabuki12 said:

I like the afternoon tea.  The clotted cream with the scones and the sandwiches are good.  The tea is nothing to write home about.  I don't find the sweets that appetizing. 

I only go one or two times a trip as it tends to ruin my dinner as I like to eat early.   I choose the days where the menu in the MDR is not appealing to me. 

We eat early also and it doesn't make much sense to have cookies & scones at 3 PM when we dine at 5 PM. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, sunsetme said:

we occasionally do this but is it out of fashion?

As long as Princess still offers it, In my opinion go or try it. It is still included in your cruise fare.  You can go anytime that it’s posted .you do not have to go for the entire length of time .let’s say it starts at 3pm and goes to 4 PM .you can show up at 3:45pm ,you can show up at 3 pm,etc. it’s honestly  a very quick process or you can stay & linger .

So in my opinion I would say it’s not out of fashion because Princess is still offering it.  It’s not British high tea or authentic though, but it’s fun to go if you’ve never been or every once in a while .

14 hours ago, Thrak said:

We enjoy the "event" and have good conversations with the other folks at the table. The actual tea (beverage) itself is not exceptional. We do enjoy the scones with jam and cream.

Yes, this. It's not so much the quality of the fare as it is the tradition of high tea shared with others.  There's something very civilised about it, and we love it!

6 hours ago, Bollycats said:

If you really want a treat try the Royal Tea on the royal class ships. It has a $10 charge, or at least used to, but it is very swanky! You get a lot of food and a different tea with each course. It is in the Piazza on a certain day and you have to sign up for it in advance. I hope since COVID it's actually still operating. It was fantastic!

I want to try this!   So many different teas to choose from in the drawers. Would be tough to pick out which kind. 

11 hours ago, yes!yes!yes! said:

I go for the scones sometimes.

Unfortunately the cream on princess is whipped not clotted. (MSC had both)

On Sky Princess they served sub par scones in the buffet but with clotted cream.  The dining room scones were outstanding but served only with whipped cream.  😢

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Senga said:

On Sky Princess they served sub par scones in the buffet but with clotted cream.  The dining room scones were outstanding but served only with whipped cream.  😢

Clotted cream has been hit or miss at tea on the Ruby, Discovery and the Royal.  I only get the scones when it's available and they have been good.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bollycats said:

My husband and I did the Royal Tea on Royal Princess on our honeymoon. It was so nice and we enjoyed it a lot! We'll do it again anytime it's offered on a ship we're on.

• Like 1