Lahaina changed to Kahului Maui

Time For Dreaming

Lots of advantages to docking at Kahului vs. Lahaina.

Docked instead of tendered.

Easier access to rental cars at OGG airport (less than 10 minutes away).

You can do the Road to Hana (virtually impossible from Lahaina unless overnight)

Much closer to Haleakalā. 

Lahaina will take many years to rebuild and who knows what it will end up as.  But having spent lots of time in Maui, docking at Kahului would be a big plus for us. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

This is what I just got for my Jan 2024 cruise:

Due to the devastating wildfires in Maui the port of Lahaina has suspended
cruise operations indefinitely, and Koningsdam will no longer call to Lahaina,
Hawaii on Sunday, January 21, 2024. Instead, the call to Kona, Hawaii has been
moved two days earlier to Sunday, January 21 from 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM.
Additionally, we have added a port call to Kahului, Maui, Hawaii on Tuesday,
January 23 from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM. The call times to Nawiliwili, Kauai,
Hawaii have also been amended.

On 9/2/2023 at 1:44 PM, ECCruise said:

Lots of advantages to docking at Kahului vs. Lahaina.

Docked instead of tendered.

Easier access to rental cars at OGG airport (less than 10 minutes away).

You can do the Road to Hana (virtually impossible from Lahaina unless overnight)

Much closer to Haleakalā. 

Lahaina will take many years to rebuild and who knows what it will end up as.  But having spent lots of time in Maui, docking at Kahului would be a big plus for us. 

Agree it is a plus, however to offer a minor correction… it was not impossible to do a full day Hana Road excursion from Lahaina. We took the ship’s tour a few years ago. First tenders ashore, last tenders back to the ship at sunset. One of the most enjoyable shore excursions we’ve ever taken.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Agree it is a plus, however to offer a minor correction… it was not impossible to do a full day Hana Road excursion from Lahaina. We took the ship’s tour a few years ago. First tenders ashore, last tenders back to the ship at sunset. One of the most enjoyable shore excursions we’ve ever taken.

Thanks for noting that.  I've seen those tours but I guess I was looking it from the perspective of a rental car since that is how we always do things in Hawaii. 

• Like 1

They're avoiding Maui...

" ITINERARY CHANGE NOTIFICATION   Due to the devastating wildfires in Maui, the port in Lahaina has suspended cruise operations indefinitely, and Noordam will no longer call to Lahaina, Hawaii on Tuesday, April 23, 2024. Instead, we will now call to Kona, Hawaii from 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM on the same date..."

IMHO, very sensible. I wouldn't want to drive past the ruins where so many people perished.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, highscar said:

@HappyInVan that’s strange. Our Jan/Feb circle Hawaii has changed Lahaina to Kahului, Maui.  

Itineraries can change at any time before sailing.

I'm glad. I've done Kahului (not impressed), but not Kona. In any case, I wouldn't want to intrude on the people of Maui. Aloha!

2 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

Itineraries can change at any time before sailing.

I'm glad. I've done Kahului (not impressed), but not Kona. In any case, I wouldn't want to intrude on the people of Maui. Aloha!

Except - they want you to come to Maui -- tourist dollars are needed to help.  You'd only "intrude" if you decided to be a sightseer to the actual disaster area.  Spending money in the Maui economy is essential, as tourism is a huge part of the local economy.

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, Bocker3 said:

Except - they want you to come to Maui -- tourist dollars are needed to help.  

Exactly, they need carefree happy tourists to drop by for the day. "How are things, bro?"

Of course, the biz need money. For the ordinary folks who have suffered unimaginable fear and loss, I'll offer them the respect they deserve. After a time of mourning, they'll let us know that we're welcome.

At this time, I urge everyone concerned about the Maui residents to donate donate and donate.

Edited by HappyInVan

39 minutes ago, Bocker3 said:

Except - they want you to come to Maui -- tourist dollars are needed to help.  You'd only "intrude" if you decided to be a sightseer to the actual disaster area.  Spending money in the Maui economy is essential, as tourism is a huge part of the local economy.

There is very limited docking facilities on Maui. They may want you to come, but it may not be physically possible.

• Like 1

We received notification today that our October 2024 Lahaina port stop has been changed to a second day in Nawiliwili. Too bad they couldn't switch it for a day in Hilo, as we only have a half day there, our final morning before heading off to Vancouver.

25 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

Exactly, they need carefree happy tourists to drop by for the day. "How are things, bro?"

Of course, the biz need money. For the ordinary folks who have suffered unimaginable fear and loss, I'll offer them the respect they deserve. After a time of mourning, they'll let us know that we're welcome.

At this time, I urge everyone concerned about the Maui residents to donate donate and donate.

NO, they don't need you to ask "how are things, bro?", but they need tourists. 

I'm not making this up on my own, Hawaii officials are asking people to keep their plans and come to Hawaii.  If they didn't want tourists in Maui - they would be stopping the cruise ships from docking there and sending out a message to stay away.  The aren't doing that, are they??  The fact that you don't want to go there, doesn't negate their need for tourists to go. 

One can offer respect AND still help keep them employed.

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, durangoscots said:

Still waiting to see what they do with the Grand Australia in January. I imagine there is a huge amount of juggling going on.

Susan

I’m on the same cruise and am also wondering. I checked the Kahului port for the day we are supposed to be in Lahaina (January 10), and it appears that no other cruise ships are docking there that day.  And it looks like we were the only one scheduled for Lahaina that day. So my guess is that would probably dock in Kahului that day, but that’s only a guess. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, carolyn22 said:

I’m on the same cruise and am also wondering. I checked the Kahului port for the day we are supposed to be in Lahaina (January 10), and it appears that no other cruise ships are docking there that day.  And it looks like we were the only one scheduled for Lahaina that day. So my guess is that would probably dock in Kahului that day, but that’s only a guess. 

Thanks. That is interesting.