How windy does it have to be to render a balcony useless?

tw0sugar5

1 hour ago, tw0sugar5 said:

In mph please.  I suppose I could convert knots or other units.  I want to find out how useless a balcony will be on an upcoming cruise.

You have way too many variables to provide a definitive answer, not the least of which include - balcony location, ship's course and speed, wind speed and direction, ship design, etc.

To put it in perspective, if the ship is steaming at 20 kts in a 40 kt wind, the relative wind speed could be anywhere from 20 to 60 kts. A ship steaming at 20 kts in a 20 kt wind can have a relative wind speed of 0 kts to 40 kts.

Another consideration, if the wind is on the opposite beam from your balcony, you have virtually no wind on the balcony.

To determine the wind speed over the ship's deck or balconies, you need to calculate the relative wind speed, which is a factor of wind speed/direction and ship's speed/course. Simple math problem. Once you know the relative wind, you need to compare that to the balcony location, then factor in aspects of the ship's design.

Been at sea too many years and we only use knots. 

• Like 3

Check the differential between the price of a  balcony cabin and an ocean-view cabin. 

If the difference is large it'll be because cruise lines know that most folk reckon the balcony will be very useable.

If it's tiny it's probably a north-Atlantic crossing  in January or round Cape Horn in July 😏

JB 🙂

• Like 1

A balcony is mandatory when we cruise. I've never found it too windy or two cold. It may be equally windy or cold on deck but the balcony ensures I have my own space far removed from the teeming hordes of humanity fighting over deck chairs or whining about the weather.  

• Like 3

The answer is so variable. On our first transatlantic, we rarely used the balcony because of "sea spray."  The constant mist from the ocean sometimes combines with the ship booking it across the ocean, making sitting on some balconies not a pleasant experience. The worst was in the front on a very large balcony that was a deck below the bridge. While sailing, it was extremely windy, but of course, quite nice when docked. The secret is to search reviews to find balcony experiences.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2023 at 9:50 PM, tw0sugar5 said:

In mph please.  I suppose I could convert knots or other units.  I want to find out how useless a balcony will be on an upcoming cruise.

In my humble opinion, you may wish to try a rear facing balcony in the stern of the ship.

It would make sense that the ships forward motion would protect those balconies from wind for the most part. While in port , all the above mentioned variables, wind direction, ships position etc….

Hope it all goes well for you 🚢🍀👍

• Like 2

On 9/7/2023 at 6:50 PM, tw0sugar5 said:

It isn't hard to convert velocity from one set of units to another set of units.  You can do it directly in Google.

DON

• Like 1

On 9/8/2023 at 8:37 AM, K32682 said:

A balcony is mandatory when we cruise. I've never found it too windy or two cold. It may be equally windy or cold on deck but the balcony ensures I have my own space far removed from the teeming hordes of humanity fighting over deck chairs or whining about the weather.  

Many years ago we booked our first balcony on the Grand Princess (when it was a new ship).  We were hooked and generally book balconies (or small suites with balconies) on our many cruises.  But that was until recently!  Why?  Everything has a price (economists call this price elasticity).  On a recent Seabourn cruise, which we booked at the last minute (about 3 weeks before the 32 day voyage) the only suites (the ship is all-suite) remaining were a few on Deck 4, where all the suites have large windows (but no balconies).  The suite is exactly the size of the suites w balcony, but you do lose that extra perk.  Much of our cruise was in chilly waters, and it occurred to us that we would not have used our balcony for more than a few short minutes a day.

During that cruise we booked another long Seabourn cruise.  The extra cost of having a balcony (for the same size suite) was $150 per person/day.  We honestly did not see the value in spending $300 a day for a small balcony.  We are now looking at a Silverseas cruise on a similarly designed ship, where a balcony adds a similar cost.  What do you think?

Hank

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

Many years ago we booked our first balcony on the Grand Princess (when it was a new ship).  We were hooked and generally book balconies (or small suites with balconies) on our many cruises.  But that was until recently!  Why?  Everything has a price (economists call this price elasticity).  On a recent Seabourn cruise, which we booked at the last minute (about 3 weeks before the 32 day voyage) the only suites (the ship is all-suite) remaining were a few on Deck 4, where all the suites have large windows (but no balconies).  The suite is exactly the size of the suites w balcony, but you do lose that extra perk.  Much of our cruise was in chilly waters, and it occurred to us that we would not have used our balcony for more than a few short minutes a day.

During that cruise we booked another long Seabourn cruise.  The extra cost of having a balcony (for the same size suite) was $150 per person/day.  We honestly did not see the value in spending $300 a day for a small balcony.  We are now looking at a Silverseas cruise on a similarly designed ship, where a balcony adds a similar cost.  What do you think?

Hank

An excellent question.

In our younger days, we survived very well with an inside cabin, but like you, after our first balcony, we were hooked. Have since completed numerous balcony cabin cruises, including 2 World Cruises. We certainly have the means to book suites and/or balconies, but I also have a heritage to uphold, that requires value for money.

DW is unable to cruise, so for the next cruise, I am going solo. I don't have any motion issues, so don't need to focus on midship's and lower deck cabins, so started from scratch with cabin selection. On our last WC, we were upgraded to a 1,350 sq ft suite for the last 3 weeks. Way too much space, since I spent many months with 3 cadets in about 80 sq ft. The balcony cabin across the alleyway from where I booked was $292/day more expensive, and being a predominantly chilly cruise, I didn't consider that as value for money. Could I afford a suite/balcony - yes, do I see value for this cruise - no. Don't also see value with the OV, so ended up booking an inside cabin.

Long haul flights are a different matter, having spent way too many hours flying economy back in my younger days. These days, anything 4 hrs of more is First or Business.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

An excellent question.

In our younger days, we survived very well with an inside cabin, but like you, after our first balcony, we were hooked. Have since completed numerous balcony cabin cruises, including 2 World Cruises. We certainly have the means to book suites and/or balconies, but I also have a heritage to uphold, that requires value for money.

DW is unable to cruise, so for the next cruise, I am going solo. I don't have any motion issues, so don't need to focus on midship's and lower deck cabins, so started from scratch with cabin selection. On our last WC, we were upgraded to a 1,350 sq ft suite for the last 3 weeks. Way too much space, since I spent many months with 3 cadets in about 80 sq ft. The balcony cabin across the alleyway from where I booked was $292/day more expensive, and being a predominantly chilly cruise, I didn't consider that as value for money. Could I afford a suite/balcony - yes, do I see value for this cruise - no. Don't also see value with the OV, so ended up booking an inside cabin.

Long haul flights are a different matter, having spent way too many hours flying economy back in my younger days. These days, anything 4 hrs of more is First or Business.

Ahhh, great minds think alike :).  On longer flights (especially when we are going to need some sleep) we now splurge on lay flat business class...and are even choosey about the airline and type equipment.  Ten years ago we would usually opt for the cheapest air, but age does change one's point of view  

The balcony issue is something that has recently generated serious discussion at home.  For about the last 20 years, there has been little discussion as we simply booked balconies as a matter of course.  It was on this last Seabourn Quest cruise that we both reevaluated our thinking in view of the oft excess cost we are now seeing to simply get a small cabin balcony.  We still book balconies on the mass market lines because we can usually justify the extra cost (generally no more than $50 per person/day).  But it is on the premium and luxury lines where the cost differential has us questioning the value.  Many folks think that just because folks book luxury lines, they have little interest in cost.  But, that is not always true.  In fact a friend argues that the very reason he can afford the luxury lines is that he has spent his life looking for "value" and not just spending because he can!  We now embrace the "value" aspects of cruising and travel and often post about the subject.  So, for example, where we see some cruises on lines like Seabourn and Silverseas as a terrific value, we find cruises on Celebrity (in Retreat suites) ridiculously overpriced and a very poor value.

Hank

• Like 4

We are to an age that "value" really isn't part of the discussion, 79 & 82.

I always book balconies, because having the peace of seeing the water 24/7 is what we decided was the most important part of the cruise, right after itinerary. They don't have to be large, there just has to be one. 

And about 10 years ago we decided we deserved to be comfortable, so we fly ether business or first. We also book better hotel rooms than we used to. 

Comfort trumps value.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2023 at 3:11 PM, horseymike said:

In my humble opinion, you may wish to try a rear facing balcony in the stern of the ship.

It would make sense that the ships forward motion would protect those balconies from wind for the most part. While in port , all the above mentioned variables, wind direction, ships position etc….

Hope it all goes well for you 🚢🍀👍

Rear facing afts are my favorite, but they book quckly.

• Like 2

On 9/8/2023 at 7:37 AM, K32682 said:

I agree with you 100%!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SPacificbound said:

We are to an age that "value" really isn't part of the discussion, 79 & 82.

I always book balconies, because having the peace of seeing the water 24/7 is what we decided was the most important part of the cruise, right after itinerary. They don't have to be large, there just has to be one. 

And about 10 years ago we decided we deserved to be comfortable, so we fly ether business or first. We also book better hotel rooms than we used to. 

Comfort trumps value.

Really?   You must get some personal utility from things like business class, balcony cabins, and better hotel rooms, otherwise they would not have worth (value) or be important (value) to you!  Enjoy!  

For me personally, flying with legroom is essential. Others would not find the added value to be worth the higher fare.  

22 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

An extra $300 per day might not deter me. I've spent multiple times the cost of an economy flight to have a little extra leg room and a lie flat bed for a few hours. A cruise is a vacation and if spending more of my disposable income to truly enjoy it as opposed to the quite unappealing prospect of rubbing shoulders with the hordes any time I want fresh air or to watch the ocean then it's money well spent.