Off Solstice yesterday; My apologies to all of you

jc foster

2 minutes ago, Cruise till you drop said:

It’s interesting how many of these threads exist and I take them with a grain of salt.

First of all, I have never seen a menu with only one app and one main course offered so lets be real here.

Secondly food quality is quite subjective.  We’ve never had a situation that we couldn’t find something that we liked on a menu and didn’t enjoy it.  Not sure if our expectations are low or realistic but we’ve had cruises that there were people who seem to hate everything in the MDR and we actually enjoyed it.

So let’s stop with the generalizations and start to post details and facts that we can better grasp and make judgements on

Because the whiners don't enjoy the menu, and assume no one does. Or because they don't, YOU shouldn't either. It's past ridiculous.

We cruise four times a year. I am always in a better state of life on a cruise 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, rmedistro said:

Because the whiners don't enjoy the menu, and assume no one does. Or because they don't, YOU shouldn't either. It's past ridiculous.

We cruise four times a year. I am always in a better state of life on a cruise 

The mdr menu has been considerably modified and not in a good way. That is not whining, that is fact. Quality and enjoyment of food is subjective.  This board is called Cruise Critic, not Celebrity cheerleaders. People rightly post both the good and bad.  No one says what you should or should not do. That’s your choice. But because someone is stating a negative point does not make them a whiner, any more than stating a positive point makes them a blind loyalist ( like some have been called). 

If not for these boards and other social media we wouldn’t even know about some of the changes until we already paid our high price and boarded. Agree that all reviews of opinions should be taken as such, one persons opinion, and given credence as such. But I for one want to hear what people are thinking and experiencing and I have the intelligence to evaluate trends versus mindless ranting, as most people do.

• Like 22

6 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

The mdr menu has been considerably modified and not in a good way. That is not whining, that is fact. Quality and enjoyment of food is subjective.  This board is called Cruise Critic, not Celebrity cheerleaders. People rightly post both the good and bad.  No one says what you should or should not do. That’s your choice. But because someone is stating a negative point does not make them a whiner, any more than stating a positive point makes them a blind loyalist ( like some have been called). 

If not for these boards and other social media we wouldn’t even know about some of the changes until we already paid our high price and boarded. Agree that all reviews of opinions should be taken as such, one persons opinion, and given credence as such. But I for one want to hear what people are thinking and experiencing and I have the intelligence to evaluate trends versus mindless ranting, as most people do.

Agree fully and my only worry is negativity of people posting purely on the basis of what they have heard or read putting people off their imminent cruises. I think that’s unfair as looking forward to holidays is a big part of the enjoyment for us, in fact been out dog walking tonight chatting about out our ABC cruise next August.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Well said and the cheerleaders can't forget that complaining about complainers makes one a complainer

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Well said and the cheerleaders can't forget that complaining about complainers makes one a complainer

As a “cheerleader” I don’t mind reading the negative posts as long as they have some basis and are not hearsay. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

Agree fully and my only worry is negativity of people posting purely on the basis of what they have heard or read putting people off their imminent cruises. I think that’s unfair as looking forward to holidays is a big part of the enjoyment for us, in fact been out dog walking tonight chatting about out our ABC cruise next August.

Which tells me you totally failed to appreciate the basis of the interest some of us have in the negative critiques because we don't want to be surprised by things that have changed since our last cruise years ago. And as I said, it helps to know if the MDR food has declined enough to go speciality (that was for you! even tho it feels like a typo to us Yanks). People who cruise often can easily say "we'll see for ourselves" because you see any single cruise as just one of many--not so some of us.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Who's complaining about complainers?

I find it entertaining. 🙂

but the whiners completiely ignored all the positive MDR reviews from cruisers on ships over the last six weeks. It's like they don't exist.

If one says they can always find selections they enjoy, then the whiner revs up the way back machine, and we get to hear about the days when ships only had < 1k passengers

Craising is a supply/demand commodity.

if you don't like the current offering change it up to something else.

I for one, don't take much stock in subjective reviews such as food. I am going to make that decision for me, and no one here is going to negatively influence my attitude before I even board the next cruise.

I have 2 x cruises booked over the next 5 months, and looking forward to both. I work hard owning my business, so my cruises are a huge decompression for me. Cruise on and enjoy X, or don't.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

Which tells me you totally failed to appreciate the basis of the interest some of us have in the negative critiques because we don't want to be surprised by things that have changed since our last cruise years ago. And as I said, it helps to know if the MDR food has declined enough to go speciality (that was for you! even tho it feels like a typo to us Yanks). People who cruise often can easily say "we'll see for ourselves" because you see any single cruise as just one of many--not so some of us.

😂I am honoured you spelt speciality correctly, aluminium next 😁. We have only cruised 5 times ever so are not those who see it as one of many at all, and like you I read the negative comments and pay attention to them. But once we have one booked we will, having read posts both good and bad, judge for ourselves when in the ship. I don’t think you and us are very different in approach.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, rmedistro said:

but the whiners completiely ignored all the positive MDR reviews from cruisers on ships over the last six weeks. It's like they don't exist.

All two of them 🙂🙂 

I remember back in 2019 on this board 95% of the reviews were positive.  We were all cheerleaders back then.  I was a fan of the S class.  Celebrity has changed.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cruise till you drop said:

It’s interesting how many of these threads exist and I take them with a grain of salt.

First of all, I have never seen a menu with only one app and one main course offered so lets be real here.

Secondly food quality is quite subjective.  We’ve never had a situation that we couldn’t find something that we liked on a menu and didn’t enjoy it.  Not sure if our expectations are low or realistic but we’ve had cruises that there were people who seem to hate everything in the MDR and we actually enjoyed it.

So let’s stop with the generalizations and start to post details and facts that we can better grasp and make judgements on

By reading the various threads with comments about Celebrity dining and having experienced varied menu options on different ships within a short time period, I have determined that each ship is unique as things roll out at various times. Some of the ships may have the restricted menus while others haven't gotten to that point yet or may not.  However if the trend continues, I suspect the other ships will catch up at some point.  So just because some haven't experienced the pared down menus, doesn't mean they won't see it next time they cruise.

Some suggest Celebrity is doing this to push people towards paid restaurants.  Several years ago, I attended a demonstration by the head chef.  He admitted the cuts of meats varied by venue.  The paid restaurants received the best, MDR less and the lowest cuts were put out in the buffet.  That's just fact.

Therefore I discount any comments from posters saying how good the food is in the Specialty restaurants.  Because unless you're willing to pay extra for what many years ago was standard quality in the MDR, you're going to experience reduced quality or variety.  It's just business for the XX cruiseline.

The fact is that each individual can only better grasp and make judgements once THEY experience it themselves. There are many people that will think nothing is wrong with the quality or options while the next will feel they were cheated. Human nature.

BTW as a side note, my Dr has made me give up salt so I can't take anything with a grain. 😁

Edited by ChucktownSteve
  • Like 1

Considering many are paying thousands in advance for a lot of unknowns, the first hand experiences are critical.  It's not like Celebrity does a good job of providing accurate and full information about the food options and quality on their ships.  Virtually every restaurant in the US does a better job.  Cornelius Gallagher should come out of hiding and explain the menus and food quality.  

https://www.celebritycruises.com/mx/things-to-do-onboard/the-crew/crew-cornelius-gallagher

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Cap_D said:

Considering many are paying thousands in advance for a lot of unknowns, the first hand experiences are critical.  It's not like Celebrity does a good job of providing accurate and full information about the food options and quality on their ships.  Virtually every restaurant in the US does a better job.  Cornelius Gallagher should come out of hiding and explain the menus and food quality.  

https://www.celebritycruises.com/mx/things-to-do-onboard/the-crew/crew-cornelius-gallagher

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Cruise till you drop said:

This is what we mean by a statement that has no basis of fact and does not help in this discussion except to get the naysayers riled up unnecessarily.

Sorry, but one can find menus and reviews for most restaurants, and for chains of a certain size ingredients, calorie counts, allergens, and more.  For Celebrity it's a crap shoot, and in contrast RC at least put out some explanations about their new menus on their own and through influencers.  Celebrity has done none of the above.  We're all reliant on making booking and payment decisions based on snap shots of menus from someones phone or manipulating an app that everyone acknowledges is wonky and often wrong, plus reviews from fellow cruise critics that have graciously paid and taken the time to share their cruise.  And, most have said the food isn't as good as it used to be, the options are less, and worse. So, that may be an important caution to someone thinking of planning a vacation on Celebrity.  If time and money is unlimited info may not matter, but the OP and anyone else sharing first hand reports are critical given the absence of anything else or, at best, past reputation.   

Edited by Cap_D
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Or a different cruise line, or a land based vacation or don't cruise and go to nice land restaurant if "more selection" is the goal

The Beyond has 4 dining rooms and we are not picky eaters.   We've done land vacations where the food was not good either. 

Edited by awhcruiser

5 minutes ago, awhcruiser said:

The Beyond has 4 dining rooms and we are not picky eaters.   We've done land vacations where the food was not good either. 

What exactly is hogwash?  I was saying there are other food options.  I agree that a typical Caribbean AI prob won't have good food however one does not need to stay in an AI or can stay at one and have dinners outside the resort.  Yet if you want great food, for most that requires an off-the ship experience

"And, most have said the food isn't as good as it used to be, the options are less, and worse."  

We sailed the Solstice on 8/25 to Alaska and I agree mostly with the above comment. That was our 25 Celebrity sailing.

Some of my favorites were missing, especially the short ribs and the lamb options were limited.

The Prime Rib was good and most of the others selections were OK, but there was not the overall quality of the menu or choices that I have had in the past.

We are sailing on RCCL the end of this month and their new menu looks much better than Celebrity's. Will have to wait and see if the choices and quality are as good as the menu sounds.

Edited by bubbachief
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

This is an example of what us non-cheerleaders have had to listen to..."cut in food quality doesn't affect us, don't be so negative!", "glad they got rid of the pillow chocolates, too many calories, great move celebrity!", "happy for the additional lobster tail fee, once saw someone order 7 tails", etc

Honestly, I don't know why you Non cheerleaders still post on this board?????

you don't like the product....move on to another line, and you can annoy those on that lines board.

Over 7,000 posts, and most are either BS, or whining.

there are many here who enjoy X,and enjoy letting people about sales, great excursions and the like.

It's the same tired group constantly complaining, on every thread,

Constructive criticism ok, but honestly it's getting tiresome.

I actually give X a lot of credit, giving the constant supply chain issues, supplying ships worldwide, with a consistent level of merchandise. the problem is real, and people just don't care or understand. There is a ton of competition for goods worldwide, especially food.

Not a cheerleader, but like the product

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, highway180 said:

It's funny how people can come up with such diverse opinions about food. We were on the Solstice on the July 28th sailing, and our entire group enjoyed the food, choices, and over the top service. We ate in the MDR, Oceanview, Tuscan, Tuscan specialty lunch, and Murano specialty lunch. No complaints: we were a party of 5, ages 5-63. Service was as good as I've ever experienced .They really went above and beyond to accommodate my granddaughter.

Cheers

How was the Murano specialty lunch? 

We bought the Trio pkg which includes that lunch 

4 minutes ago, highway180 said:

Honestly, I don't know why you Non cheerleaders still post on this board?????

you don't like the product....move on to another line, and you can annoy those on that lines board.

Over 7,000 posts, and most are either BS, or whining.

there are many here who enjoy X,and enjoy letting people about sales, great excursions and the like.

It's the same tired group constantly complaining, on every thread,

Constructive criticism ok, but honestly it's getting tiresome.

I actually give X a lot of credit, giving the constant supply chain issues, supplying ships worldwide, with a consistent level of merchandise. the problem is real, and people just don't care or understand. There is a ton of competition for goods worldwide, especially food.

Not a cheerleader, but like the product

The majority of my posts were before the cutbacks and therefore were positive.  Rather than write a BS novel, you could press the ignore for all those that both you

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cap_D said:

“manipulating an app”. Seriously? Who’s manipulating the app ?

“most have said the food isn't as good as it used to be”. Is it really “most people” or only the loudest voices?

You just can’t stop with these wild theories can you.  Again non factual and only meant to stir up the pot