Aboard Rotterdam — forget vpn’s

ghstudio

VPNs and private dns forwarders (like duck dns) don’t work from the Rotterdam…they are blocked and upgrades no the internet service doesn’t help at all. (Per my testing and confirmed by the internet team on board. Too bad they don’t tell you this before the cruise…..  I have no way to monitor my home security system or do anything that I want to process through my Vpn until we get to ports.

39 minutes ago, sailawayward said:

it's really okay to not be connected to rest of the world while you're on a cruise.

I would agree in most cases.  But, when we were on a cruise, we had the biggest earthquake in recent AK history.  We had significant damage to our home.    

• Like 2

They aren’t allowed on any HAL ship

here is the verbiage.  Note the ability to block at will

PREMIUM INTERNET PLAN - 7 DAYS

Whether emailing friends or streaming videos, enjoy truly premium, unlimited access throughout your voyage—at a savings of at least 50% compared to the daily rate—with our Premium Internet Plan. All onboard Internet usage is subject to Holland America Line standard policies, which may limit browsing of some sites due to network security and bandwidth usage. Applications that use high bandwidth may be blocked and offerings are subject to change with or without notice. The plan can be activated on any device but only one device can be actively connected at a time, the rate calculation is based on prorating the voyage package by length.

4 hours ago, ghstudio said:

VPNs and private dns forwarders (like duck dns) don’t work from the Rotterdam…they are blocked and upgrades no the internet service doesn’t help at all. (Per my testing and confirmed by the internet team on board. Too bad they don’t tell you this before the cruise…..  I have no way to monitor my home security system or do anything that I want to process through my Vpn until we get to ports.

Some VPN’s offer obfuscated servers which hide that you are using a VPN. Try one of those. I have had luck with using that feature on Nord VPN.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ghstudio said:

Most security systems want you to have keyholders/emergency contacts. Can you ask one of your contacts to watch things for you?

This hasn't been my experience, but I haven't sailed on the Rotterdam. I used my VPN a lot on the 200 days I spent on the Zuiderdam earlier this year, as well as on the Westerdam last fall. I use Public Internet Access (PIA) VPN.

The key is to disable the VPN when you log on to internet on the Navigator. THEN enable your VPN.

If at some point you get knocked off the internet, you have to remember to disable the VPN before logging back on. That happened several times for me. I thought the ship's internet wasn't working, but it was just that I needed to disable my VPN.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, WriterOnDeck said:

This hasn't been my experience, but I haven't sailed on the Rotterdam. I used my VPN a lot on the 200 days I spent on the Zuiderdam earlier this year, as well as on the Westerdam last fall. I use Public Internet Access (PIA) VPN.

The key is to disable the VPN when you log on to internet on the Navigator. THEN enable your VPN.

If at some point you get knocked off the internet, you have to remember to disable the VPN before logging back on. That happened several times for me. I thought the ship's internet wasn't working, but it was just that I needed to disable my VPN.

On board Rotterdam now and agree with WriterOnDeck. I did upgrade to Premium and can even stream with no problem. As she said, remember to turn off vpn before you log in again. Also using PIA. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

New to this forum so don't be upset with my questions, since this post talks about wifi on board, I am confused about the use of the wifi.

My wife and I both use iPhones and iPads, are we going to be able to use them simultaneously?

we have the HIA  pkg with wifi but not clear on if I am on my iPhone wifi and she tries to log in will it kick me off? 

Doesn't seem fair since we are both paying for the HIA pkg, if that is true?

thanks for any help

@Duane S. Welcome to Cruise Critic.

As passenger 1 and passenger 2, you both have an Internet package. So there won't be a need to share access. Neither one will kick the other off. However, each package allows for just one device to be in use at a time. You can purchase access for additional devices to your package once onboard.

On 9/22/2023 at 6:02 AM, Duane S. said:

New to this forum so don't be upset with my questions, since this post talks about wifi on board, I am confused about the use of the wifi.

My wife and I both use iPhones and iPads, are we going to be able to use them simultaneously?

we have the HIA  pkg with wifi but not clear on if I am on my iPhone wifi and she tries to log in will it kick me off? 

thanks for any help

Always keep your phone in airplane mode while on the ship or you’ll come home to a large $$ phone bill. 

Turn on WiFi to access the ship’s (free) inTRAnet to use the Navigator app. To use inTERnet you must log in to the WiFi pkg. If you only have minutes (not an unlimited pkg) you must log out or your minutes will be eaten up quickly. As mentioned only one device at a time per package. I had no problems switching between my iphone and iPad. And I did it frequently. 😉

BTW if you have iPhones you can use iMessenger. It works iPhone to iPhone,  both on the ship and to folks on land. Text only, no pictures. (You need the inTRAnet for this.) 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HAL_cruising38726 said:

@WriterOnDeck Can you provide more information regarding how you used your Public Internet Access (PIA) VPN on the Zuiderdam? I've never been able to connect a VPN while on the ship. Do you use a static IP or any specific settings?

If you can’t log on with your VPN on then turn it off. Log on with VPN off and then connect to the VPN. Should work.

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

On 9/22/2023 at 8:02 AM, Duane S. said:

thanks for any help

Welcome.  You will each be able to use 1 device at a time, but can switch between devices.  Each HIA pkg includes 1 internet pkg.  

2 hours ago, dobiemom said:

Always keep your phone in airplane mode while on the ship or you’ll come home to a large $$ phone bill. 

Turn on WiFi to access the ship’s (free) inTRAnet to use the Navigator app. To use inTERnet you must log in to the WiFi pkg. If you only have minutes (not an unlimited pkg) you must log out or your minutes will be eaten up quickly. As mentioned only one device at a time per package. I had no problems switching between my iphone and iPad. And I did it frequently. 😉

BTW if you have iPhones you can use iMessenger. It works iPhone to iPhone,  both on the ship and to folks on land. Text only, no pictures. (You need the inTRAnet for this.) 

Your explanation on how to use your iPhone onboard is the best I have ever seen. Thank you for the clear instructions. 
Mark

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Reagan0712 said:

I found a ‘Private’ Internet Access VPN but not a ‘Public’ Internet Access VPN.

If it is indeed ‘Public’ Internet Access VPN what’s the link?

Thanks

Certainly that was a typo by that poster. PIA is a well known VPN and PIA stands for Private Internet Access not Public. I used to use PIA until about a year ago when I switched to Nord VPN. I switched for subjective reasons. PIA was acquired by a company, Kape, that has a shady reputation. The same company, Kape, acquired Express VPN about a year earlier. They have bought a number of VPNs. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, aa7yy said:

I just spent 7 weeks on the Oosterdam and was able to use Express Vpn with both the old and the new. Did take me about a week emailing back and forth with Express Vpn but they got it working. No intelligent life onboard.

I'll try Express VPN, and see if that works. Seems PIA may work as well. Does anyone have any other recommendations for VPN, or other VPNs that have worked on HAL recently? Just trying to cover my bases.