What health related items do you take on a cruise?

Sarah I

We now include waterproof band aids after an incident on a cruise: getting off a tender, a lady with long fingernails was jostled and accidentally cut my hand with her nail. I was on blood thinners at the time so bleeding was more than would normally occur.

My DW had a little first aid hit with her so we had items to patch me up however, it was steamy in the Caribbean along with a light shower, and a regular band aid wouldn’t stay on. Fortunately, my SIL happened to have a waterproof one, which then stayed on perfectly.

41 minutes ago, Dock B said:

We now include waterproof band aids after an incident on a cruise: getting off a tender, a lady with long fingernails was jostled and accidentally cut my hand with her nail. I was on blood thinners at the time so bleeding was more than would normally occur.

My DW had a little first aid hit with her so we had items to patch me up however, it was steamy in the Caribbean along with a light shower, and a regular band aid wouldn’t stay on. Fortunately, my SIL happened to have a waterproof one, which then stayed on perfectly.

I always keep a bandaid or two in my wallet.  One hack, not for cruising but office, is using tape.  I have taken care of many paper cuts with scotch tape.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I pack light -- except for medicines and first aid.  I don't want to bring myself to the attention of the medical staff for something I could've "fixed" in my own room.  I bring: 

- Tiny baggies with our prescription medicines /labeled with the day of the week.  I like these because they're easy to carry to the dining room, then throw away.  I bring a couple extra baggies in case we're delayed, though we've never needed them.  

- Small bottle of Tylenol 

- Small jar of Tums for my husband 

- Package of cold/flu type pills -- thinking it's easier to bring just one thing, I bring the type that cover all the typical symptoms 

- Covid tests -- when my husband came down with a cold, it was nice for him to be able test and know he DID NOT have Covid 

- Bandaids with Neosporin 

In addition to my regular daily regimen of vitamins and Rx, I bring only items that might be needed 'right now' like decongestant, medicated hand cream, bandaids or Pepto. I obtain the generic names of things I sometimes take so I could pick some up locally if necessary.  I just started on CBD for arthritis pain, so need to look that up and see if I need to take any special precautions with it.  I just dump everything into a bottle for morning and another for evening and have for 40 years.  I don't know where this 'original labeled containers' advice comes from.  

On 9/22/2023 at 2:13 PM, Lois R said:

Hi, I bring prescription meds with me and I have a pill box I use every time. Never had any kind of issues doing it this way. I can't remember the last time (if ever) I have brought the original bottles with me.

I'm with you with one exception - my narcotic pain meds always travel in their original labelled prescription bottle.  My run of the mill daily meds are in pill boxes (3 boxes x 7 days for my upcoming trip) plus an extra bottle containing 14 days of emergency (delayed return home) run of the mill pills

• Like 1

On 9/22/2023 at 9:40 AM, Sarah I said:

I wondered what the essential health related items are you should take on a cruise? I want to be prepared with the right things especially as I am not confident when it comes to buying things at port/in other countries. I was thinking things like cold and flu tablets, indigestion tablets, seasickness bands, hand sanitiser.

Are there any brands people would recommend? Or will own brand products be ok for lots of things?

Any advice welcome. Thanks

Well, being a Virgo, my husband thinks I bring too much (and I probably do).  But I really want to be prepared as we tend to take longer trips.  I'm aware that availability can be sketchy and prices onboard are ridiculous.  

Ibuprofen

Acetaminophen

anti acids/gas tablets

diarrhea meds

sinus/cold meds

first aid cream

bandaids

motion sickness aids (Meclizine, and hubby get the patch)

eye drops

vaseline

Prescription stuff remains in original bottles and all generic stuff I've previously purchased small bottles of those things that I use so I don't have big bottles filling up space in suitcases.

• Thanks 1

Previously I would just pack prescription meds, maybe a bandage or two and should anything else be required it would be purchased on board. Now with reports that at least one cruise line is not providing OTC drugs on board to force passengers to the medical center where they will be tested for COVID my packing plans will definitely change. Analgesics, antidiarrheals and decongestants will definitely be included going forward.  

• Like 4

Be sure to take plenty of extra rx meds., especially if are flying to and from your cruise. Flight delays, bad weather, etc could extend you trip which is stressful enough. But being without meds makes it more so. I had one horrible night in Mpls years ago. I will never be stuck without my meds again. 

• Like 2

This is a category in which I overpack.

imo the necessities are:

Rx meds for chronic conditions (affecting circulation respiration metabolism), seizure disorders, ones that can cause withdrawal (includes seizures) if you miss too many doses

Bandages for blisters and little cuts/scrapes

Antibiotic ointment 

Meclizine (only took 1 tablet on my last cruise)

Either acetaminophen, ibuprofen, or naproxen

Cough drops/lozenges 

Loperamide

Either loratadine, cetirizine, or diphenhydramine

I also pack:

Electrolyte solution powder packets (for supportive care due to diarrhea, can also help with intestinal cramping)

Generic Miralax packets

Pseudoephedrine

COVID-19 tests

Lactaid

Bismuth subsalicylate

The supplements I take are Vitamin C and 81 mg aspirin (not recommended past a certain age without consulting your physician)

Besides the meclizine we only used bandages, antibiotic ointment, loratadine, and acetaminophen on our last cruise.  I used cough drops and the generic Miralax on the land portion of our trip.

Edited by tw0sugar5

In addition to above mentioned I always bring antibiotics.  A few years ago I got sick in Disney and it was not that easy to get antibiotics, but I did.  When I get sick I know it.  If I bring my own antibiotics I know I'll be ok within 24 hours.  Also, I see a lot of people bringing Imodium.  We also bring meds for constipation.  I have also been bringing my scripts with me on all vacations and never in a prescription bottle.

Also, probiotics and melatonin.  I love these. The probiotics definitely help my tummy. The melatonin helps me relax and sleep well without making me feel dopey into the next day. If you tend to “spin” in your head at night, camomile tea really helps. Also good to bring something that boosts your immune system. I know it sounds crazy, but I have found if you take something like Emergen C the minute you feel a cold coming on, it will either stop the cold or greatly shorten it. The combo of echinacea and goldenseal does something to the cold virus that stops it from reproducing. So you have a cold for a day or two instead of a week to 10 days. Some of these “natural” remedies are easier to get on board or ashore than pharmaceuticals. 

On 9/23/2023 at 10:05 PM, jsn55 said:

I obtain the generic names of things I sometimes take so I could pick some up locally if necessary. 

Perhaps I'm being argumentative, but you can't always count on getting a medicine -- even an OTC medicine -- right away.  Some ships have those vending machines, which may or may not have what you want.  Waiting for your next island stop, then finding a drug store isn't particularly convenient.  And I'd rather not bring myself to the attention of the medical staff.  

This is the one category in which I over-pack.  

On 9/23/2023 at 11:12 PM, capriccio said:

Check with your cruise line.  Most of them do not allow CBD products.

Just pack it in the middle of your carry-on, and no one will even know you have it.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Just pack it in the middle of your carry-on, and no one will even know you have it.  

^^^^

It being CBD

Just to be clear - this is a very risky move, especially if one is crossing international borders

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sydney dog said:

In addition to above mentioned I always bring antibiotics.  A few years ago I got sick in Disney and it was not that easy to get antibiotics, but I did.  When I get sick I know it.  If I bring my own antibiotics I know I'll be ok within 24 hours. 

I have to comment this by noting that liberal use of antibiotics may lead into antibiotic resistant strains of bacteria and that is a growing problem as it becomes harder and harder to find suitable antibiotics that will cure conditions that genuinely need antibiotics. So if you get sick, it would be wise to be sure that the condition is actually caused by a bacterial infection and not by some virus before taking any antibiotics.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Hezu said:

I have to comment this by noting that liberal use of antibiotics may lead into antibiotic resistant strains of bacteria and that is a growing problem as it becomes harder and harder to find suitable antibiotics that will cure conditions that genuinely need antibiotics. So if you get sick, it would be wise to be sure that the condition is actually caused by a bacterial infection and not by some virus before taking any antibiotics.

I knew someone was going to post this but at this point in my life I know my body.  I get bronchitis several times a year and although Antibiotics are not the typical cure for bronchitis it is the only thing that works for me.  I am not a smoker and actually do have Antibiotic resistance from being prescribed them as a child for every sniffle I had.  That's what my doctor did at the time.  After all it was the goto drug in the 80's.