Loss of Libraries

smj777

P&O have apparently issued the following statement. "We have stopped building new ships with libraries. The reason is so we can have other bars, restaurants etc. there and the reason is also that, well, the amount of people who want to borrow a book and sit, in library silence on their Fun cruise was, we saw, getting less and less." They have also said that existing libraries will be removed from each ship as it recieves refurbishment. John Heald, Carnival Cruise Line Brand Ambassador  Source:   https://www.cruisemummy.co.uk/carnival-removes-libraries-from-ships/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=time_to_say_goodbye_to_this_classic_cruise_feature&utm_term=2023-09-23

41 minutes ago, 9265359 said:

P&O Cruises, the Carnival Corp brand, have not issued that statement, Carnival Cruise Lines, another Carnival Corp brand has.

Yes, not P&O specifically, but looking at the pathetic selection of books on Iona you can see the direction of travel!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

Yes, not P&O specifically, but looking at the pathetic selection of books on Iona you can see the direction of travel!

Unsurprising though, as these days passengers who want to read normally have a Kindle with them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, smj777 said:

P&O have apparently issued the following statement. "We have stopped building new ships with libraries. The reason is so we can have other bars, restaurants etc. there and the reason is also that, well, the amount of people who want to borrow a book and sit, in library silence on their Fun cruise was, we saw, getting less and less." They have also said that existing libraries will be removed from each ship as it recieves refurbishment. John Heald, Carnival Cruise Line Brand Ambassador  Source:   https://www.cruisemummy.co.uk/carnival-removes-libraries-from-ships/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=time_to_say_goodbye_to_this_classic_cruise_feature&utm_term=2023-09-23

It’s not an official P & O statement . This relates to other aspects of Carnival Corp . P &O and Cunard are run by Carnival U K . 

2 hours ago, 9265359 said:

Unsurprising though, as these days passengers who want to read normally have a Kindle with them.

There are still an awful lot of people who much prefer a physical book and don’t use Kindles at all, my wife and I being two of them!

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

There are still an awful lot of people who much prefer a physical book and don’t use Kindles at all, my wife and I being two of them!

My wife likes physical books, but the issue is that she will happily read at least one a day (and we are not talking thin paperbacks!) so as a choice of a Kindle or actually fitting some clothes in the suitcase, well it was hands down to the Kindle.

And having bought one of the original Kindles in 2012m she is now on her third one having worn the previous ones out...

But being serious, one of the 'unsold' benefits of the Kindle (and I mean the 'proper' Kindles with e-ink, not the Android tablets) is that the font size can be adjusted to whatever is comfortable, so those with poor sight are not restricted to whatever is left in the large print stock, but can buy and read whatever they want.

1 minute ago, 9265359 said:

My wife likes physical books, but the issue is that she will happily read at least one a day (and we are not talking thin paperbacks!) so as a choice of a Kindle or actually fitting some clothes in the suitcase, well it was hands down to the Kindle.

And having bought one of the original Kindles in 2012m she is now on her third one having worn the previous ones out...

But being serious, one of the 'unsold' benefits of the Kindle (and I mean the 'proper' Kindles with e-ink, not the Android tablets) is that the font size can be adjusted to whatever is comfortable, so those with poor sight are not restricted to whatever is left in the large print stock, but can buy and read whatever they want.

The kindle does have its advantages when flying but for cruises from the UK we can fill a small case with books, I am just glad we read the same authors. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 9265359 said:

...........But being serious, one of the 'unsold' benefits of the Kindle (and I mean the 'proper' Kindles with e-ink, not the Android tablets) is that the font size can be adjusted to whatever is comfortable, so those with poor sight are not restricted to whatever is left in the large print stock, but can buy and read whatever they want.

I have used 2 Kindles, one left on the plane in Hong Kong and one which gave up the ghost. I now use a Samsung Android tablet. You can adjust the font type, size and line spacing and also the screen background colour and brightness, also several themes including bold large type for the poor sighted. It does not work well in direct sunlight which is OK for me as my eyes don't like bright light. I also use it for the P&O app.

I'm on my 3rd Kindle and have over 2000 books on my current one, including all the classics I consider my comfort reading. I read  voraciously and while I like physical books, I can never get enough for a 2 week cruise,  especially as the library on the more traditional ships like Aurora gets stripped quickly.  So now I download a few new titles before each cruise and pack the kindle. 

Edited by Clodia
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Selbourne said:

I must admit I swore I would never use a kindle or tablet to read a book, but lockdown and libraries closing, made me try downloading to my tablet from the library, and I still do.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Clodia said:

I'm on my 3rd Kindle and have over 2000 books on my current one, including all the classics I consider my comfort reading. I read  voraciously and while I like physical books, I can never get enough for a 2 week cruise,  especially as the library on the more traditional ships like Aurora gets stripped quickly.  So now I download a few new titles before each cruise and pack the kindle. 

I'm the same, Kindle (or Kindle app on my ipad mini), a few books, a trip to the library/swap shelf onboard. Plus an emergency book, just in case 🤣

On 9/24/2023 at 12:26 PM, smj777 said:

Or to rephrase, we have stopped building new ships with libraries so we can replace them with revenue raising facilities. Libraries do not raise onboard revenue, which is what modern mass market cruising is all about. So anything which does not make money is  replaced by something which does.

• Like 1