San Diego Cruise Port

jmc27

Love sailing out of San Diego! So much easier to get in/out of than Long Beach! 

One option to consider for next time - book the HAL hotel. They will take care of getting your luggage from the hotel to the ship. If you want to explore, just let the HAL rep at the hotel know you will make your way over on your own. I did this in Vancouver on a day where I knew embarkation would be delayed (thanks to Cruise Critic!). Got a late checkout from the hotel and made my own way around 2 0r 3 and was able to virtually walk onto the ship with no lines. From what I read everyone who got there at 10:30 or 11 waited hours 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/4/2023 at 9:41 AM, lais said:

4 star is given priority.  Just come up to the gate and show your boarding pass with 4 stars but remember the port does not open until around 10:30 and boarding the ship around 11:30 which boards by boarding group #

@lais  Not sure what you mean by "Just come up to the gate & show boarding pass".  Does this mean jump the line of people & bypass them walking to head of line to the gate for entrance into the terminal?  Do you work for the Port of San Diego that you know this?

TY for answer

2 minutes ago, CruisingGrandmaW said:

@lais  Not sure what you mean by "Just come up to the gate & show boarding pass".  Does this mean jump the line of people & bypass them walking to head of line to the gate for entrance into the terminal?  Do you work for the Port of San Diego that you know this?

TY for answer

Yes just walk up to the front gate. You will be directed from there 

6 minutes ago, CruisingGrandmaW said:

TY for answer

Yes, and as there's NO clear signage or dedicated lines outside the port in San Diego... 4*,5* and CO can (and do) jump lines.  As an ex-San Diegan who has sailed from there often, the convenient location of the port is far overshadowed by the unorganized chaos that we've often experienced.  The facilities are old and unwelcoming, and there's no seating until you've been queued in several lines for hours (sometimes in hot sun).  Arriving later is our go-to option in San Diego.

• Like 3

On 10/6/2023 at 9:33 AM, objko said:

I just read the above article and will say AGAIN that San Diego should invest some of the economic MILLIONS (that they reap from the cruise industry annually) into their terminal infrastructure!  Signage, seating, elevators, etc. would make it a smoother experience.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, julia said:

I just read the above article and will say AGAIN that San Diego should invest some of the economic MILLIONS (that they reap from the cruise industry annually) into their terminal infrastructure!  Signage, seating, elevators, etc. would make it a smoother experience.

It’s in the plans but when is another question.   They were supposed to do it this past summer and the summer before 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, julia said:

Yes, and as there's NO clear signage or dedicated lines outside the port in San Diego... 4*,5* and CO can (and do) jump lines.  As an ex-San Diegan who has sailed from there often, the convenient location of the port is far overshadowed by the unorganized chaos that we've often experienced.  The facilities are old and unwelcoming, and there's no seating until you've been queued in several lines for hours (sometimes in hot sun).  Arriving later is our go-to option in San Diego.

There is a sign 

IMG_9842.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, lais said:

There is a sign 

IMG_9842.jpeg

We live in San Diego & have done numerous embarkments (usually 2 cruises a year) - we've never had a problem.  Only once during the Xmas Holiday Season, we were boarding the Konningsdam (HAL larger ship) & the Disney was Boarding also - both ships at full capacity.  It took us about 45 minutes to que thru the lines & get to the HAL check-in windows.  Then a 15 minute seated wait in the terminal before our Group was called.

Now = granted - I've not taken any cruise in 2022 - so I don't know if things were different back then.

3 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Neptune Suites aren't part of Club Orange. Club Orange has some of a Neptune Suite's amenities.

Neptune Suite has some of the Club Orange amenities.  The amenities like dining room/line and priority Guest Services line were added with Club Orange.  NS previously had priority boarding and tendering.  Neptune Suite should be added to the Welcome sign at the port.  Holland America needs to fix the sign.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, oaktreerb said:

@laisHolland America needs to add Neptune Suites to the sign.

I’ll be checking it on Nov 4…..!

At the size it looks to be, I'd be surprised if you could even see it! The photo was taken when there were no crowds of passengers jockeying for position to try to line up and check in. Passengers taller than the stanchions holding the small sign!   

1 hour ago, zelker said:

Why aren't Neptune Suites listed?  They get priority check-in, too.

True.  Neptune is included.  The sign will be updated.  And on your boarding pass it says “Pinnacle/Neptune” so yes Neptune as priority 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Crew News said:

As previously posted on another thread, taxis pull into the fenced area with no check of your check-in time or priority boarding status.  Next stop is just walking into the terminal with still no check-in time requested.

But… when there is a back up especially on double ships days if they have to use the tickets taxi drop offs will be directed to the front of the terminal.  

8 minutes ago, RuthC said:

At the size it looks to be, I'd be surprised if you could even see it! The photo was taken when there were no crowds of passengers jockeying for position to try to line up and check in. Passengers taller than the stanchions holding the small sign!   

Just go up to the gate Ruth 

1 hour ago, RuthC said:

Ruth, when was the last time you sailed out of San Diego?