Land & Sea - LIVE (nearly) from Amsterdam and ms Rotterdam 15 day Atlantic Sojourn - October 7th, 2023

kazu

12 hours ago, 0bnxshs said:

Thanks for all your efforts Jacqui.  I will say that our last few experiences in the PG have been lackluster, with indifferent service and fast food steakhouse quality food.  We will not go back there, period.  It's disappointing but I blame the HIA promotion for it mostly and the post COVID "we'd rather not work" attitude for the rest of it.  We'll be using Tamarind from now on and just hope the malaise doesn't travel there too.

Again, thanks for your efforts!

My experience in the PG on the Oosterdam was a good one last November and HIA was in place then.

On this sailing, Tamarind was part of the HIA and service there was good (for us) as was the food.

So, I can’t blame the promotion for the lacklustre PG.  In my most recent cruise, it appeared like our waiters weren’t even trained on basics.  IE, not returning to check how the meal was, not asking if anyone would like tea or coffee and just bringing the bill, etc.

I think it comes down to the managers, training, etc.  I could be wrong of course - I certainly have been before.

I hate to say it, but I also think there is a matter of staffing on the Pinnacle Class ships.  I saw some areas definitely lacking (other areas good) on this ship and on the Koningsdam last December & January.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, kazu said:

My experience in the PG on the Oosterdam was a good one last November and HIA was in place then.

On this sailing, Tamarind was part of the HIA and service there was good (for us) as was the food.

So, I can’t blame the promotion for the lacklustre PG.  In my most recent cruise, it appeared like our waiters weren’t even trained on basics.  IE, not returning to check how the meal was, not asking if anyone would like tea or coffee and just bringing the bill, etc.

I think it comes down to the managers, training, etc.  I could be wrong of course - I certainly have been before.

I hate to say it, but I also think there is a matter of staffing on the Pinnacle Class ships.  I saw some areas definitely lacking (other areas good) on this ship and on the Koningsdam last December & January.

Interesting observations, Jacqui. I certainly agree with those regarding staffing and training. I do differ in that it’s not all Pinnacle ships. We sailed on the Nieuw Statendam in June and the staffing and service everywhere was consistent and impeccable. The food quality was more consistently good everywhere there than on the Rotterdam. I was sorely disappointed as I expected the flagship of the fleet would be even better but it was not. My husband and I also experienced a high degree of staff camaraderie and  cooperation on the Nieuw Statendam- they were an extremely happy staff which made a difference.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, 1robinwood said:

Interesting observations, Jacqui. I certainly agree with those regarding staffing and training. I do differ in that it’s not all Pinnacle ships. We sailed on the Nieuw Statendam in June and the staffing and service everywhere was consistent and impeccable. The food quality was more consistently good everywhere there than on the Rotterdam. I was sorely disappointed as I expected the flagship of the fleet would be even better but it was not. My husband and I also experienced a high degree of staff camaraderie and  cooperation on the Nieuw Statendam- they were an extremely happy staff which made a difference.

Thanks for adding this.  I haven’t been n the N Statendam.  Only the Koningsdam and the Rotterdam and while the Rotterdam was a bit better service wise, it was very similar to the K’s.

Yes, you would expect the flagship to have the best service & staff but sadly that doesn’t seem to have been the case.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, 1robinwood said:

We sailed on the Nieuw Statendam last September and agree with you. Our experience then was superior to the Rotterdam in every way.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grannyshell said:

We sailed on the Nieuw Statendam last September and agree with you. Our experience then was superior to the Rotterdam in every way.

1 hour ago, grannyshell said:

Appreciate that confirmation about the Nieuw Statendam -and again a shame about the Rotterdam 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, 1robinwood said:

...I also experienced a high degree of staff camaraderie and  cooperation on the Nieuw Statendam- they were an extremely happy staff which made a difference.

That is something I noted on the Nieuw Amsterdam in September and October 2022.  I was sitting in the Ocean Bar on a quiet afternoon, for example, and heard the staff laughing and singing amongst themselves in the back room.  I was so pleased to hear what was apparently a very happy crew!  Service was great!

~Nancy

• Like 4

We had the same experience in the Pinnacle Grill while on the Nieuw Statendam last May.  Many others on our cruise also had a bad experience.  Also had a similar experience on the Nieuw Amsterdam (this was before it was included in HIA.)  So I am not sure that HIA is to blame for what is happening in PG.  The restaurant wasn't even crowded last May.   All other specialty dining service/experiences were wonderful!   We had Club Orange that was outstanding for the most part.  The few times that we tried the MDR for lunch were lack-luster.  We will be sailing on the Rotterdam next May.  Outside of the PG, I have read better reviews about he ship.

1robinwood - Love that name!  We are not far from you in Johnson City, TN.😉

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

We will be sailing on the Rotterdam next May.  Outside of the PG, I have read better reviews about he ship.

The ship was good, overall.  I will try to get my recap done tonight or tomorrow morning.  It will just be my very subjective point of view though so I hope other roll call members will also share theirs.  No worries if they disagree with me 😉 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

My overall impressions of the cruise & Rotterdam:

Food - I was very impressed by the food on the Rotterdam.  MDR/Club Orange.  The fish was absolutely delicious.  I didn’t have one thing that I wouldn’t/ couldn’t eat on the entire 15 day cruise.  Nothing was returned to the chef.  The entree portions were HUGE IMO.  I don’t know how anyone could have eaten it all 😉 

While I didn’t do dinner in the Lido, friends of mine did and they too were impressed and very happy.

All the specialties were good with the exception of the PG which got mixed reviews depending on if you had a decent waiter and decent food.  The fruits de Mer in Sel de Mer was absolute perfection (and two of us live in lobster country).  While it is a surcharge item, it was well worth every penny as far as I am concerned and I am very fussy on my seafood - especially shell fish 😉

Cabin - I had a verandah cabin aft with the deeper balcony.  The cabin was pristine and everything in good working order except for one finicky USB port.  My steward took a look and had something done to it and it worked after that just fine.  To be honest - it really wasn’t a big deal as there are more than sufficient USB ports and -plugs in that cabin for anyone.  I could easily get around it not working but felt I should let them know.  (I had 2 IPads, IPhone & 2 keypads to charge).

Entertainment - it’s HAL what can I say?  Some of it was ok but I passed on the repeat shows which I think are long due for an update.   I don’t consider a movie entertaiment.  In fairness, our entertainment for the TA was impacted by not being able to dock in Ponta Delgado.  Cantare (whose contract was up) was to get off and new entertainment get on.  Since we couldn’t make the port, Cantare had to sail to FLL and no new entertainment came on.

At the end of the cruise, we were running out of lemons and limes and other such things but this was due to not being able to re-stock in Punta Delgado and not lack of planning by the Rotterdam.

Lectures, talks - we did have a lecturer on board.  A bit dry the first time but improved.  Standard interviews with officers, etc which are always interesting.  One thing I noticed is that we were missing some of the fun events we had on the Oosterdam last year - ie. cook off between the captain and hotel manager which was a hoot.  Perhaps the larger ships don’t feel the need to do these things or it may depend on the management?

One thing I liked - when there were serious things that could impact us (ie the storm), the captain not only announced it but also had it put on our TV’s so that those who missed it (or couldn’t hear it in their cabins) could see it as well as any updates.

Immigration - Immigration had to come on board for our Portland entry (thanks Brexit).  What seemed to be well organized turned into a mess at the beginning.  Those with shore excursions and other categories were told to be there at a set time.  They ended up standing for over 1/2 hour as the customs/immigration had not arrived yet due to docking issues.  IMO there should have been an announcement telling those that things were delayed and they would announce when it was time to come.  I believe there was an announcement on the docking being delayed but I did not hear it.

it worked well though once the line was moving.  Of note - there was NO accommodation for those with mobility challenges.

Crew Staffing - Service was excellent in Club Orange, cabin steward service was excellent as well.  There seemed to be a shortage of staffing in certain areas - ie. Sea View Bar - 2 servers (when there were some).  there were times we cleared our own tables or you were forced to go to the bar.  I found the same thing on the Koningsdam.  On the Oosterdam last year we had 5 servers usually at peak times and always some even early in the morning who were happy to get you whatever you needed.  

the MDR seemed short staffed to me in my limited time there.  Service in some of the bars could be  slow at times with insufficient people.

Mariner Luncheon - is back and the menu was new, improved and fabulous.  Delicious as well despite the number of people being served at once.  they really stepped it up on the Rotterdam and I hope this stays consistent in the fleet.  I would gladly return and repeat this lunch any day 👍 

All in all, it was a great cruise.  Staff are wonderful as always, food delicious and the ship in good shape.  Add a wonderful roll call to the mix and you can’t help but have a great cruise 🙂 

If there is something I didn’t cover, ask away.  And of course, if any of my fellow roll call members saw things differently, please feel free to share.

this is just my subjective overall view.

Thanks very much everyone for following along 🙂 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 5

Jacqui @kazu I really appreciate your very fair review of the cruise.  Sounds like lots of things were well done, but certain things could use improvement (entertainment, lack of staffing in some areas).  I wish Pinnacle Grill would get a revamp or more training, something to take it back to the usual great service and food of the past.  Thank you so much for taking the time to do this!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Oops, I forgot to say…

I had absolutely NO issues with my on board account.  I checked my account Daily.  No charges for my drinks in specialty dining as others have reported.  (I had HIA).  No last minute charges that didn’t apply.  Everything was good on my account. 👍 

The only issue I had was getting my Sel de Mer that I prepaid for charged to my non refundable credit.  That has to be done by the front desk on this ship, not the specialty dining podium.

It took a couple of visits but it was done 🙂 

• Like 7

Thanks Jacqui @kazu for this thread and a very balanced review of the cruise.  

I loved the ports especially Bruge: beer, mussels, chocolate and Le Havre where we were able to visit Normandy with Overlord Tours who I highly recommend.  Four ports in a row was a bit exhausting and we looked forward to 2 sea days.  Unfortunately, we missed the Azores so 2 sea days turned into 9 sea days.  Happily, I know how to relax and love sea days.

We had an aft verandah cabin on deck 8, basically underneath the Seaview bar.  No noise from above.  I love the walk in showers.  Our cabin stewards were like ninjas.  We left for breakfast, when we returned our room was cleaned. We left for dinner, when we returned our home was cleaned.  They have far too many rooms but do an outstanding job.  And how do they remember everyone’s name? Every time I saw one in the hall they greeted me and asked if we needed anything.

We had fixed table for 2 in the MDR.  Our waiter had too many tables but did his best,  quickly remembering our drink order and special requests.  As I former server I appreciate his effort but there is only so much you can do if you have to many tables.  I was very impressed with the fish preparation.  Previously, fish was almost always over cooked.  It was perfect(maybe even slightly undercooked which I like) this cruise.  

Our favorite specialty dining was Canaletto.  My husband loves the osso buco and you can tell the pasta is homemade.  (Btw, you can order a side of pasta without the extra entree charge.). Tamarind was very good.  Poor service, below average food at Pinnacle dinner.  Excellent service and above average food for lunch.  

We spend most of our time by the Seaview pool.  I agree they were understaffed.  However, I had 2 favorite servers who always kept an eye out for me and were there when I needed them.

We do not like the musical or dance shows.  We do not listen to classical music.  I enjoyed the 3 comedians.  I particularly liked the shows at BBKings, excellent musician.  I had the opportunity to talk to the trumpet player on several different occasions.  He said that BBKings is being removed from all ships except the Pinnacle class.

The speaker was a bit dry,  the three lectures I heard reminded me of a college lecture (he was as a college professor).  For every show, you needed to arrive early to get a seat.  I was told that when the ships were built they were planing on 3 shows an evening but they can only “afford” 2 shows.  Regardless the daytime show were always “oversold”. 

I am so happy that we had such a wonderful Roll Call that planned several sea day activities such as 2 book club meetings.  This could easily have been coordinated by HAL.  Instead there was daily coloring for adults and pragmatic.  Really, nine sea days.  How about a little more creativity, something like a murder mystery.

Transatlantics are some of my favorite cruises!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

• 1 month later...
On 10/6/2023 at 8:27 AM, kazu said:

So for those interested here are some pics of my room at the Banks Mansion.  it’s the cheapest one they have (comfy room).  Now all rooms are not the same size - like the beloved Prinsendam, they don’t have cookie cutter rooms.

My friends are in comfy room and have a bathtub and a shower (room description says shower).  My room is shower only.  If they weren’t already unpacked, she would have traded.  My aching legs needed a bath tub.  LOL.

IMG_1945.thumb.jpeg.7e683c7691aee5cad3742193a02e4206.jpeg

Bed is very comfortable too.

IMG_1946.thumb.jpeg.fbb6649c0dcfda26366d8b36744c815e.jpeg

IMG_1947.thumb.jpeg.df41bfdf3a7134d849d632dab4f98592.jpeg

IMG_1948.thumb.jpeg.4b6c524b0a5b24953d557e7f624ffead.jpeg

IMG_1950.thumb.jpeg.7e619639a1a09ed68c44ebe7647f939d.jpeg

Mini bar is all included of course 😉 

IMG_1952.thumb.jpeg.eadc86106fa4d24eb6b88e30fc214d9b.jpeg

Hi Jacqui,

We are thinking of staying at the Banks in June and can't decide between the comfy room and the one with a canal view. What was your view from your comfy room, and did you find it noisy at all?

Thanks in advance!!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, vplsh said:

Hi Jacqui,

We are thinking of staying at the Banks in June and can't decide between the comfy room and the one with a canal view. What was your view from your comfy room, and did you find it noisy at all?

Thanks in advance!!

Lisa, those 2 rooms are the same size normally (some rooms can be bigger than others).

For me, the comfy room is just fine.  You have good views of the canal from the library (where the wine and cheese is served and the bar is).  If I was going to pay a higher amount, I’d go for the bigger room.  No canal view but it’s a nice room.  The top room does have a canal view but it’s very pricey.

DD DH and I had a larger room with a canal view the first time we stayed there.  It was lovely but honestly, once we took a look, we rarely looked out again except to gage weather.    I could actually see some canal from my comfy room last time which was a surprise.  

If you will look out the window a lot, it’s probably worth it but there are lovely park benches right on the canal where you can sit and watch the world go by and a wonderful view in the library.

Several of my roll call stayed there on my recommendation.  They all thought that what I was saying was too good to be true and they all told me later I was right.  Everyone was very happy with the Banks.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, kazu said:

Lisa, those 2 rooms are the same size normally (some rooms can be bigger than others).

For me, the comfy room is just fine.  You have good views of the canal from the library (where the wine and cheese is served and the bar is).  If I was going to pay a higher amount, I’d go for the bigger room.  No canal view but it’s a nice room.  The top room does have a canal view but it’s very pricey.

DD DH and I had a larger room with a canal view the first time we stayed there.  It was lovely but honestly, once we took a look, we rarely looked out again except to gage weather.    I could actually see some canal from my comfy room last time which was a surprise.  

If you will look out the window a lot, it’s probably worth it but there are lovely park benches right on the canal where you can sit and watch the world go by and a wonderful view in the library.

Several of my roll call stayed there on my recommendation.  They all thought that what I was saying was too good to be true and they all told me later I was right.  Everyone was very happy with the Banks.

Thanks so much for the response Jacqui!! Just have to decide whether to bite the bullet and pay now or wait a bit. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, vplsh said:

Thanks so much for the response Jacqui!! Just have to decide whether to bite the bullet and pay now or wait a bit. 

@vplsh We booked Banks for next September  for 3 nights. We never pre-pay a hotel, especially non-refundable. We  called and spoke to someone at Banks as their website only gave the non refundable rates, and we booked the flexible rate over the phone. Honestly, the difference wasn't that much in comparison to other hotels' flexible rates and they offer so much more than the other hotels at the same rates.

Joan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pmjnh said:

@vplsh We booked Banks for next September  for 3 nights. We never pre-pay a hotel, especially non-refundable. We  called and spoke to someone at Banks as their website only gave the non refundable rates, and we booked the flexible rate over the phone. Honestly, the difference wasn't that much in comparison to other hotels' flexible rates and they offer so much more than the other hotels at the same rates.

Joan

Thanks for the info Joan! I’ll check that out. 

• Like 1

@vplsh, thanks to the wonderful posts from @kazuJacquie, we, too, booked our room at Banks Mansion for our September 2024 cruise.  When the website first opened their reservations for our dates, we had the choice of flexible pay later or pay now-non refundable.  We definitely chose the flexible pay later option.  We splurged and got a guest suite with canal view.  A couple weeks later, our friends decided to join us and the flexible option was not available on the website.  I, too, phoned Banks, and was able to negotiate the flexible rate for them.  And after an exhaustive search for weeks, Joan is absolutely right that other hotels' flexible rates for that area are not much different plus Banks is all-inclusive.  Only 275 more days till we arrive....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, pattypawz said:

@vplsh, thanks to the wonderful posts from @kazuJacquie, we, too, booked our room at Banks Mansion for our September 2024 cruise.  When the website first opened their reservations for our dates, we had the choice of flexible pay later or pay now-non refundable.  We definitely chose the flexible pay later option.  We splurged and got a guest suite with canal view.  A couple weeks later, our friends decided to join us and the flexible option was not available on the website.  I, too, phoned Banks, and was able to negotiate the flexible rate for them.  And after an exhaustive search for weeks, Joan is absolutely right that other hotels' flexible rates for that area are not much different plus Banks is all-inclusive.  Only 275 more days till we arrive....

Wonderful.  I booked the flex rate as well.  I booked too far in advance to do non refundable.  I would have booked non refundable when the timing was closer but the price had risen so much there would have been no benefit.  there was a lot going on in Amsterdam and all the hotel prices skyrocketed.  It pays to book early much of the time 😉 

It sounds like you got the Executive Room (I think that’s what it is still called).  DD DH and stayed in it the first time and loved it.  Since it’s just me now, the comfy room was more than adequate.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, kazu said:

Wonderful.  I booked the flex rate as well.  I booked too far in advance to do non refundable.  I would have booked non refundable when the timing was closer but the price had risen so much there would have been no benefit.  there was a lot going on in Amsterdam and all the hotel prices skyrocketed.  It pays to book early much of the time 😉 

It sounds like you got the Executive Room (I think that’s what it is still called).  DD DH and stayed in it the first time and loved it.  Since it’s just me now, the comfy room was more than adequate.

I usually do all my booking far in advance as well, but this cruise just snuck up on me. We did a 27 day back to back in October that consumed my planning for most of 2023, and I’m only now really starting to plan our cruise on Jewel of the Seas in June 2024 and finding I’m having to spend way more for an Amsterdam hotel and airfare than I’d expected. My travel agent (who is my sister ) is going to get our travel insurance in place before we book the non-refundable rate so that if anything changes and we need to cancel we will be covered. 
Thanks for all the information!! 

• Like 1

@kazu @pattypawz Just booked the Banks. Decided to do the non-refundable rate as it was significantly less expensive.  My TA did our insurance so it's covered if we don't go. Final payment on our cruise (Royal Caribbean Jewel of the Seas) is due March 13, so we'll just add that cost into this policy.

Thanks again for all of your help with making this decision. Can't wait to try the Banks Mansion for ourselves!

• Like 2

@vplsh, that is great.  You are so right.  I had no idea just how expensive Amsterdam is and since we are getting a bit older, we want to fly business class.  This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for us, and we are so looking forward to it.  And since you will be there before us, I hope to hear some comments and see some photos.  Best wishes, and happy holidays!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pattypawz said:

@vplsh, that is great.  You are so right.  I had no idea just how expensive Amsterdam is and since we are getting a bit older, we want to fly business class.  This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for us, and we are so looking forward to it.  And since you will be there before us, I hope to hear some comments and see some photos.  Best wishes, and happy holidays!

I’ll definitely report back!! Have a wonderful holiday!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I started reading this thread today around noon.  It's now after 7 in the evening! I did get other things done but I kept coming back to my tablet to see what happens next.  Almost like reading a good book 😀.  The plot really thickened with the description of the service at Pinnacle Grill! 

We just booked this same trip taking place October 12 of this year.  It leaves from Rotterdam instead of Amsterdam but the itinerary is similar. There's no stop in Punta Delgada so let's hope they pack lots of lemons and limes before leaving the European continent 🤣.

Great job and thank you Jacqui and everyone that contributed!  We can't wait for our sailing

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, LetItSnow said:

I started reading this thread today around noon.  It's now after 7 in the evening! I did get other things done but I kept coming back to my tablet to see what happens next.  Almost like reading a good book 😀.  The plot really thickened with the description of the service at Pinnacle Grill! 

We just booked this same trip taking place October 12 of this year.  It leaves from Rotterdam instead of Amsterdam but the itinerary is similar. There's no stop in Punta Delgada so let's hope they pack lots of lemons and limes before leaving the European continent 🤣.

Great job and thank you Jacqui and everyone that contributed!  We can't wait for our sailing

thank you so much for the very kind words ♥️ 

If you are stopping in Madeira or one of the other Azores island you should be ok for the ship to refurbish and fine for lemons and limes 😉. Punta Delgada is tricky to get into and King Neptune did not smile on us that day.

We managed quite well just the same on our crossing 😃 

• Like 2