Land & Sea - LIVE (nearly) from Amsterdam and ms Rotterdam 15 day Atlantic Sojourn - October 7th, 2023

kazu

Pinnacle Grill was very inconsistent. We had dinner and it was good, but not great. They were very busy and I think that led to some issues. 

Lunch on one day was absolutely perfect- we had the tomato-basil and carpaccio as appetizers, Pinnacle burger and petit filet as mains and shared the brownie (more like a flourless chocolate cake) for dessert. Service was also impeccable (thank you Yulia). I also had a whiskey smash to drink. 

It was so good we went again two days later and requested Yulia again, who provided the same outstanding service. However, the same orders of food (except substituting the cod sandwich for the filet as one main) left us disappointed. The burger bun was as hard as Kazu noted and I had no bacon jam. Everything else was just okay and my whiskey smash was mostly sour mix. I did not have more than 2 sips. 

It was strange how food quality differed so much just two days apart. 

• Like 6

I need to go back and check and see what’s missing so will hopefully be back tomorrow with the ending hopefully as well as some final thoughts on the cruise if people like.

@Ready2go11 I sure wish we had Yulia in the PG.  We had 2 different waiters and neither was decent IMO.

• Like 8

@kazu we have never been PG fans and not for lack of trying. 3 ships, 3 dinners and 1 lunch and all sub-standard from what I would expect. Even after our vow renewal it was embarrassing service and running out of food. On Westerdam DH and I arrived for our reservation only to bypass open tables to be seated in a side room with a group of at least 12-18 people at a large table. We couldn’t speak as we couldn’t hear each other. We couldn’t even hear the waiter but they wouldn’t move us until I said we would forgo dessert as it was such an unpleasant environment. 

• Like 1

The Club Orange breakfast and dinner provided a great experience on this cruise. We had breakfast there except when we had a tour, and maybe half the dinners. The maitre d’  Edgar managed the room in an efficient, gracious manner and checked on us each meal one or more times. There was only one morning when we had to wait less than 5 minutes for a table. Every other time we were seated right away. 

The food was always served hot, and I ‘discovered’ the aloo masala this cruise for breakfast that has been on the menu forever. I loved it and it will be ordered frequently on future cruises. 

Service may have been a tad slower when they were busy, but the servers were always working very hard. MuMin served us the first night and called us by our first names the rest of the two weeks and stopped by to say Hi even when we were sitting on the other side of the dining room. Other favorites were servers Yudo and Bonny. Each of them remembered our preferences and seemed disappointed when we didn’t order dessert or have a large breakfast. 😃

Portions were hearty. I only tried the CO special one night of lemon shrimp Mafalda which was very good. 

In talking to the staff in CO, a few extended their contract in September when HAL did not have someone to immediately take their place. Each was happy since the extension meant their 2 months off when starting in November would allow them to spend the holidays with their families. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 10/13/2023 at 9:37 PM, oakridger said:

I haven't seen anyone mention if the new added cost Morimoto MDR dishes are selling ($25!!) and have you heard the opinion of anyone that has tried them?  They really don't sound that great on paper to me.  🤷‍♀️

I didn't see if anyone had reported on the Morimoto MDR dishes.  Did anyone try it?

Thanks,

~Nancy

• Like 1

7 hours ago, oakridger said:

I didn't see if anyone had reported on the Morimoto MDR dishes.  Did anyone try it?

Thanks,

~Nancy

As a lobster fanatic, I did try the Morimoto lobster that was on the menu.  The lobster was plentiful, but it was much too spicy for my palate. I was much happier with the lobster add on that I had in future meals!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, oakridger said:

Thanks,

~Nancy

Thanks for asking and for the reminder 👍 

In the interests of CC reviews, I made the ultimate sacrifice and tried the lobster 😉. So, I tried lobster in just about every format.  it was actually quite good.  Here it is as presented:

IMG_2327.thumb.jpeg.c2091892ae72dc5a1c35be69cc98d61d.jpeg

a bit spicy - not overly but there was spice to it and I don’t think it was too much to overpower the lobster but it nearly did.  

IMG_2328.thumb.jpeg.adfd9118d64055d1c4496215c59c89d4.jpeg

Note - I was in Club Orange and my lobster was prepared there (I asked) and not in the MDR kitchen.  Not sure if that makes a difference.

Was it worth the surcharge?  If you look at  the price of lobster currently, it is but  I’m not sure it was unless you had non refundable credit to burn 😉 

Like @Bluenoser3 I preferred the regular plain lobster to it which was good on the ship (other than the PG).

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, Ready2go11 said:

The Club Orange breakfast and dinner provided a great experience on this cruise. We had breakfast there except when we had a tour, and maybe half the dinners. The maitre d’  Edgar managed the room in an efficient, gracious manner and checked on us each meal one or more times. There was only one morning when we had to wait less than 5 minutes for a table. Every other time we were seated right away. 

My experience was pretty much the same.  Very pleased with Club Orange.  I bought Club Orange strictly for the dining aspect and I’m glad I did.

9 hours ago, Ready2go11 said:

In talking to the staff in CO, a few extended their contract in September when HAL did not have someone to immediately take their place. Each was happy since the extension meant their 2 months off when starting in November would allow them to spend the holidays with their families. 

Edgar was one of those and yes, he was delighted to stay on and be able to spend Christmas with his family.  He did a great job of running that dining room with panache.  A lovely gentleman.  

IMG_2430.thumb.jpeg.c2eb0d2a3456a5117ce54f42df038c9a.jpeg

• Like 11

We had a weird experience in PG at dinner (food was just ok). We declined dessert but the waiter said we could take it to-go. OK. He returned to the table with 2 covered dinner plates (the big silver covers) and cutlery and plunked them down. I said "can't you wrap it in something smaller?" No, that wasn't possible. Then he said "don't worry, I will can take care of you...I will send it to your room, just tell me what time."

Followed by something to the effect of see, I'm providing service over and above, don't forget to compliment me on Navigator and your survey. I'm sorry, but if that was always an option, why go through the theatrics of expecting me to walk the hallways with dinner plates?

Honestly, PG isn't what it's hyped up to be. It should be on the level of Tamarind (dined there twice) and Rudy's which were both amazing in every way.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, oakridger said:

Thanks,

~Nancy

I tried the black cod in the MDR as a friend said she found it the best meal she’d had. It was beautifully cooked but I wasn’t a huge fan of the flavor. Very velvety texture. Not like “regular” cod at all but again not my personal taste. The rice accompanying it was unusual and delicious, the eggplant a failure (tough and not warm at all). So overall not worth the surcharge.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @Bluenoser3, @kazu and @1robinwood for reporting your experiences with the new Morimoto MDR dishes!  I was very curious as I felt that they sounded too overly spiced for my taste.  I have enjoyed the Tamarind lobster preparation and others at the Nobu restaurants on another line as the seasoning was subtle.  I agree with the posters that I will skip Morimoto and go with the plain (but lots of butter!) lobster tails if I have that craving.

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, grannyshell said:

We had a weird experience in PG at dinner (food was just ok). We declined dessert but the waiter said we could take it to-go. OK. He returned to the table with 2 covered dinner plates (the big silver covers) and cutlery and plunked them down. I said "can't you wrap it in something smaller?" No, that wasn't possible. Then he said "don't worry, I will can take care of you...I will send it to your room, just tell me what time."

Followed by something to the effect of see, I'm providing service over and above, don't forget to compliment me on Navigator and your survey. I'm sorry, but if that was always an option, why go through the theatrics of expecting me to walk the hallways with dinner plates?

Honestly, PG isn't what it's hyped up to be. It should be on the level of Tamarind (dined there twice) and Rudy's which were both amazing in every way.

Service definitely has changed in the PG.  Last month, we ate at the Pinnacle Grill on the last night of the cruise using our 5-Star complementary perk.  After over 25 cruises with HAL, we were shocked when the waitress approached our table at the end of the meal for what we thought would be an offer of coffee and desert.  Instead, she dropped a leather wallet on the table with a slip for us to sign,  opened the wallet and proceeded to physically show me where I should put in the amount of tip!!!  Keeping in mind our meal was $0 dollars, I tipped her 100% of that 🙂 

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, taxmantoo said:

Instead, she dropped a leather wallet on the table with a slip for us to sign,  opened the wallet and proceeded to physically show me where I should put in the amount of tip!!!  Keeping in mind our meal was $0 dollars, I tipped her 100% of that 🙂 

Where’s the “Yikes” button? That is unreal.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

Where’s the “Yikes” button? That is unreal.

The PG was unreal if you got the wrong waiter on our sailing, believe me.

I lucked out both times and got the worst service I have seen in years.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

I have been home 5 days and just now catching up on all the posts.  Nice to relive good memories.  I'm so pleased that most everyone really enjoyed the Rotterdam's crossing.

I loved Jacqui's reports when she would say, "This ship can really cook fish!"  We ate in the MDR, second sitting at 7:30, and loved the seafood which was often fresh rather than frozen.  The salmon and cod were my two favorites!  The cruise and travel director, Tjalling, had a coffee chat with the Executive Chef at 9:30 on sea day and he explained that Holland America is trying to use all sustainable seafood and fresh when they can get it.  Leaving from the Netherlands with port calls in northern France and southern England helped.  We did miss more fresh fish when we couldn't dock in the Azores, sadly, which he explained was bought and paid for.  We also missed an entertainer coming on and the Contare boys were to leave there as well.

Our good friend who was traveling with us felt Holland America is truly giving the Rotterdam, the often-remarked Flagship, extra attention to be the best ship in the fleet as he said Cunard does for the Queen Mary 2.  Having cruised on every ship in the fleet, and 6 of the departed ones, I think he is right.  

20211119_100445.jpg

20211119_100430.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

On 10/25/2023 at 5:43 PM, kazu said:

And now we come to the vent - I am pretty sure @EVNKEEL has been watching for this on my thread 😉 

I am really glad Tina’s PG lunch worked out well.  Not sure if it has anything to do with me telling the manager it was the worst PG Grill I had seen in 10 years 😉 and I meant every word of it.

You will recall at dinner, the service was lacklustre - not even asking us how our meal was nor offering tea or coffee, etc.

Well lunch was just as bad if not worse.

Appetizers were ok.  Crab crakes were bigger and I think that made them just too mushy and not cooked well.  Two of us had them and will probably avoid them in the future.

IMG_2432.thumb.jpeg.8719e280131bc033f35580cc764a8f5b.jpeg

The other appetizer was decent though.

IMG_2431.thumb.jpeg.fbe871915f22f4099c00bd2a0851e5df.jpeg

Then we got to my main.  The beef with onion thing which is usually good.

The bun was a) not sourdough and b) so hard I couldn’t cut through it.

IMG_2433.thumb.jpeg.f636834b766a54507a757f143b038a77.jpeg

So I said, fine, I’ll have an open faced sandwich and took the top off and tried to cut through the meat and just the bottom bun.  Nope.  I worked so hard my elbow hurt and it was going to cut it was so hard.  I think a machete should have been provided.

IMG_2434.thumb.jpeg.eb06f7f8c5e7b3dc7b9b1d85fd23eca2.jpeg

So I said ok - I’ll just eat the meat.  OMG - the onions were burned and the meat and sauce was ice cold.  In all this time our waiter never came to inquire how our meal was.  So my meal sat there staring at me (I don’t eat food I don’t like).

Finally since no one was coming, I moved my plate to the empty seat beside me.

When the waiter arrived to bring dessert, I expressed my disappointment and then the manager came (I actually went looking for him earlier to no avail).  He offered us another free lunch.  I looked at my dining partners and said we’re already at 2 strikes - I don’t think so.

dessert was good though.

IMG_2435.thumb.jpeg.80849f6ab278049a379d4ac60916aa85.jpeg

IMG_2437.thumb.jpeg.40c8608dc82fa387ddb5c22d14636e98.jpeg

IMG_2438.thumb.jpeg.5a758e3f274f186bde09b4c3c84cc211.jpeg

IMG_2439.thumb.jpeg.874fc6ba29a5de7be63a76574d70ac21.jpeg

Specialties all had good food except for the PG.  It seemed to be very,, very inconsistent.  A shame as lunch on a sea day was always nice in the past.

my friends cancelled their remaining PG reservations.

Yes Jacqui, was indeed watching for this post! The PG had always been a highlight and special treat on all our HAL cruises. We had similar inconsistent experiences in the PG  in Nov 2022 on the Oosterdam fall crossing (Barcelona to Lauderdale) and thought that was perhaps an isolated occurrence.  Thus our surprise again on this voyage with the PG service and meals at both dinner and lunch.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, taxmantoo said:

Instead, she dropped a leather wallet on the table with a slip for us to sign,  opened the wallet and proceeded to physically show me where I should put in the amount of tip!!!

Oh, hell no!!  That was inexcusable! I would have had a word with the manager and/or the "Tell Us" on the Navigator App!!  I had a big pet peeve on my cruises last fall about the staff asking to give them good reviews on the survey. (Two of them who had only brought me one drink so far!! 🙄)  I really don't like to be solicited for good reviews!!  I told the "Tell Us" but didn't ask to be contacted about it.  At the time some people pointed out that they felt it's fine for staff to ask to just fill out the survey and I'm OK with that I guess.

I'm a former waitress and bartender who relied on tips but I never, ever, asked guests for tips or even hinted at it.  

End of rant!!

~Nancy

• Like 8

On 10/28/2023 at 12:27 AM, oakridger said:

I'm a former waitress and bartender who relied on tips but I never, ever, asked guests for tips or even hinted at it.  

Ditto for me too, Nancy.  So I appreciate good service and know when I’m not getting it 😉.   No one should “request” a tip.  You either earned it or you didn’t.

Before I forget for those that have HIA (Have it All), I didn’t care for some of the white wine choices on board.  So, I asked at the Lido bar if there were any other options and the bartender told me I could have the New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc and it would be within the limit.  It was very good IMO.

But when I asked at the Seaview Bar, they didn’t have that wine. 😔. the bartender suggested a Sauvignon Blanc from France - not on the menu and even better 👍 

He made sure there was a bottle set aside for me 👍. This is the wine and while I know taste is subjective, I do recommend it.

IMG_2329.thumb.jpeg.bb12f6f24f6438da5e7c7ece7ee9dfaa.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5

Jacqui, I had a similar wine experience at Rudy's. I love Sancerre so splurged and had a glass. When our fabulous waiter asked if I'd like another I laughed and told him I couldn't afford it. So he found me a Pouilly Fuisse that was within my HIA limit and tasted even better. So it pays to ask.

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, grannyshell said:

Jacqui, I had a similar wine experience at Rudy's. I love Sancerre so splurged and had a glass. When our fabulous waiter asked if I'd like another I laughed and told him I couldn't afford it. So he found me a Pouilly Fuisse that was within my HIA limit and tasted even better. So it pays to ask.

It sure does - I learned a lesson on this ship 🙂 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all your efforts Jacqui.  I will say that our last few experiences in the PG have been lackluster, with indifferent service and fast food steakhouse quality food.  We will not go back there, period.  It's disappointing but I blame the HIA promotion for it mostly and the post COVID "we'd rather not work" attitude for the rest of it.  We'll be using Tamarind from now on and just hope the malaise doesn't travel there too.

Again, thanks for your efforts!

• Like 3