Land & Sea - LIVE (nearly) from Amsterdam and ms Rotterdam 15 day Atlantic Sojourn - October 7th, 2023

kazu

4 hours ago, kazu said:

What I REALLY liked was that after the medals were given out they called Cornelius and his wife up and of course the famous Joska and their new service dog in training.

IMG_2418.thumb.jpeg.c57497805a94b247c013ddf835fab172.jpeg

IMG_2422.thumb.jpeg.54f2a1f7df82d69800ee2822cc5c65ed.jpeg

2 hours ago, 0bnxshs said:

And Joska's replacement is already racking up the sea days!! 🤣🦮 We met them on last year's 150th TA (no replacement 🦮 then), Joska was the hit of the Crow's Nest as she visited with everyone until needed.

On the westbound 150th Anniversary cruise on Rotterdam (westbound was the one in October, not April) we were seated in the Pinnacle for lunch and they arrived soon after.  When Joska's leash was detached she ran over to our table so I got to pet her.  BTW, that really surprised me that she did that because she was actually "working" at that time.  But then Corne came over and retrieved her.

Edited by AV8rix
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, kazu said:

...Mariner lunch and reception.

IMG_2412.thumb.jpeg.2b3bd2c23401075a46a22656a2814745.jpeg

The reception was very full.  Nice to see it back but it was quite short...

HAJ has the best florists  - those flowers are lovely.

And thanks for including the service dogs (even though I accidentally deleted their pictures).

• Like 5

After 8 sea days, we were excited to see a bird.  Everyone was trying to identify it.  We called on several “experts” and they all agree it is a peregrine falcon.IMG_2662.thumb.jpeg.2e2fb1516ab9cbcfd701e8006d70edaa.jpeg

I spoke to the Food & Beverage director in the MDR tonight.  I ask him me standard question, “Where are the cold soups?”  He talked about special cruises… blah, blah, blah.  I said they are easy to make and not expensive.  He was polite & listened & then moved on.  Five minutes later he was back at my table and said he had just talked to the executive chef and there would be a cold soup in the Lido at lunch tomorrow!

We are out of lemons and limes.  Only frozen berries. Weird pillow chocolates.  Some of the minor problems of a transatlantic with a missed port.

Edited by 0106
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ski ww said:

How far from land were you when this picture was taken?

Roughly here (our noon position ydy). I assumed our falcon friend caught a ride eastbound on something, and decided heading back might be in order.     Scott. 

image.thumb.png.ae09c0acf5adb18872ca94754c88d59b.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5

Jaqui, thank you so much for posting the photo of Joska and the successor dog! I’ve heard of Joska for years, but this is the first photo I’ve seen.  

Hearing Dog Raylene would have enjoyed getting together with Joska to compare notes on the relief stations and other important service dog matters.

So glad to read that there’s a new & improved Mariner lunch. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Hearing Dog Raylene would have enjoyed getting together with Joska to compare notes on the relief stations and other important service dog matters.

Just being inquisitive (nosey!) but do you or your dog get a different end of cruise questionaire?  I'm thinking about in relation to the dog's requirements while onboard and during embarkation etc.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Holly g said:

Looks like a nice hotel but how far of a walk is it from the train station?

About 15 minutes.

We took a car service from the airport to the hotel and then from the port back to the hotel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Just being inquisitive (nosey!) but do you or your dog get a different end of cruise questionaire?  I'm thinking about in relation to the dog's requirements while onboard and during embarkation etc.

Ask anything, happy to answer. No, just the same questionnaire. I have at times given feedback on the questionnaire and to the headquarters folks in the Accessibility department I work with before departures.

Embarkation has always been excellent with HAL and they have further streamlined the procedure. On our last few cruises, there has been a welcome letter in the stateroom asking me to visit Guest Services the first day with all my dog paperwork. The letter has a summary of immigration procedures by port, and advises location of the relief area. The filler in the relief box isn’t always ideal (true with other cruise lines as well).

HAL dining room managers have always graciously worked with us on the table location so the dog will be against a wall or partition away from waiter & passenger foot traffic.

I’m always grateful for HAL ‘s wonderful and hard-working crew.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for taking time to share your voyage with us!  We get onboard on 11/12 in FLL. Can't wait.

I have a question and since you are going to Tamarind maybe you could find out for me.  At the bar there it says Happy Hour 4-5 on martinis.  What exactly does that mean?  Maybe a different daily special each day???

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

Internet has been out all day.   I have no idea why.

We should not be having a problem here but it is up for a short bit.  not sure how long it will last and I should start pre-packing with the Oasis booked tomorrow at HMC.  (Assuming we can tender).

The poor florist is pulling out his hair.  He couldn’t restock his flowers at Punta Delgada so is running around trimming trying to keep the flowers looking nice.  

Ship is getting short on certain beers along with the lemon and limes.  It will probably be bunkering for hours in FLL when we arrive.  And may be later leaving with all the supplies it is going to need.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MissiCruzs said:

Thank you for taking time to share your voyage with us!  We get onboard on 11/12 in FLL. Can't wait.

I have a question and since you are going to Tamarind maybe you could find out for me.  At the bar there it says Happy Hour 4-5 on martinis.  What exactly does that mean?  Maybe a different daily special each day???

Thanks in advance!

Been to Tamarind but it was after the special from 4-5 so we didn’t do it.  I believe it is a special price on x types of martinis.  I’ll try to slip up there this afternoon and check it out for you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

For the first time this cruise,  the internet was completely down for about 6 hours.

Food is very subjective but we have been very happy with our fixed table for 2 in the MDR; dinner usually takes about an hour.  Our waiter has quickly learned our likes(tea after dinner) and dislikes (no need for a bread basket because we won’t eat it).  Although the portions are a bit smaller, we have only had room for dessert once.  They are happy to adjust the sides to your taste.  If you like vegetables, I suggest you ask for extra.

After an average dinner with poor service in the Pinnacle, I wasn’t sure if we should return…but we needed to spend our OBC so we just had lunch there.  My spinach & arugula salad was excellent;  my DH thought the tomato broth soup was too spicy but it says spicy in the description.  I tasted it and thought it was very good.  He loved his Pinnacle burger; my cioppino was good.  We shared a coconut trifle was was weird,  it was served in a water glass about 1/3 full of three layers of pudding.  The service was excellent and attentive.

They cleaned the Seaview pool yesterday so it will be sparkling for the upcoming Caribbean cruises.  Unfortunately, it is still “leaking” and the deck by the Seaview bar is usually wet.  Rumor has it that it won’t be fixed until a dry dock because any attempted repair would void the warranty 🤷‍♀️ 

Air conditioning is working well.  I’ve been carrying a sweater because some of the inside areas are cold.   ( My DH thinks the temperature is just right.😉)

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Jaqui, thank you so much for posting the photo of Joska and the successor dog! I’ve heard of Joska for years, but this is the first photo I’ve seen.  

So glad to read that there’s a new & improved Mariner lunch. 

They are both beautiful dogs, Chris.  

I was granted permission to pet and get a “dog fix”.

Some idiot complained that the dogs’ relief area was in a bad place and wanted it moved.  As soon as the note was received that it was going to deck 11, Cornelius was at the front desk and as soon as they saw him they said they knew what it was for and not to worry.

It stayed in its place as it. Should have.

• Like 11

19 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

@kazu, Jacqui, I was reading about air tags on another thread and I was wondering how your search went. I know you had no luck in the cabin, but did the front desk have anything in lost and found? Maybe Ann’s AirTag could qualify for a 100 day medallion.😇

So far, no luck, I’m sorry to say.  They are re-checking as they are so tiny.  I’m not holding out a lot of hope now and wonder if it is in a corner in the laundry room.

Unfortunately Ann’s tag is an older one so she can’t add me as a friend to help me locate it 😔 

I haven’t given up but the odds are looking as slim as winning bingo in 50. Numbers or less.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I have a feeling we will just have to sail on Rotterdam again, and wander around asking it to beep.  That’s what I had to do for Pat’s missing suitcase in Copenhagen.  As I got closer it told me the distance! 

but thanks so much for trying, Jacqui.  

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

I have a feeling we will just have to sail on Rotterdam again, and wander around asking it to beep.  That’s what I had to do for Pat’s missing suitcase in Copenhagen.  As I got closer it told me the distance! 

but thanks so much for trying, Jacqui.  

Well that's a good excuse to book another cruise!!!

• Like 8
  • Haha 3