Land & Sea - LIVE (nearly) from Amsterdam and ms Rotterdam 15 day Atlantic Sojourn - October 7th, 2023

kazu

Land!  Sunrise over Half Moon Cay.IMG_8516.thumb.jpeg.b943405aaf8ba6760b1fb765d8d6065c.jpeg

Last night, the Ocean Bar band played at the Seaview pool.  Unfortunately, it had rained earlier in the evening and it wasn’t well advertised.  Regardless, those of us who were there enjoyed the music under the stars.  I wish they would have played earlier in the cruise.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 4

On 10/20/2023 at 3:47 PM, Vict0riann said:

I have a feeling we will just have to sail on Rotterdam again, and wander around asking it to beep.  That’s what I had to do for Pat’s missing suitcase in Copenhagen.  As I got closer it told me the distance! 

but thanks so much for trying, Jacqui.  

I would wander near the laundry room, Ann.  That’s my best guess.

Maybe it just wouldn’t ping for me?  We tried though - we really did.

Another sailing sounds good to me - good excuse to book another cruise.  (Although buying the missing air tag would be cheaper 😂)

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

I will be updating for a few days from the looks of things.

For the last few hours, I’ve been sitting at the airport terminal from Hell (aka FLL) and working on my flights and notifying those that were going to pick me up in Toronto about what’s going on.

@canals & I are seething a bit.  our 1:15 flight was delayed until 4.  then, it was delayed again.

So, now we might make it to Toronto by 9 pm or so.

A long day in what I consider a loud, awful airport with one of the most miserable security systems in the world.  Just call me Grumpy Gus today.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 5

7 minutes ago, kazu said:

For the last few hours, I’ve been sitting at the airport terminal from Hell (aka FLL) and working on my flights and notifying those that were going to pick me up in Toronto about what’s going on.

@canals & I are seething a bit.  our 1:15 flight was delayed until 4.  then, it was delayed again.

A long day in what I consider a loud, awful airport with one of the most miserable security systems in the world.  Just call me Grumpy Gus today.

We feel the same about FLL.....& last time we flew from there the Alaska desks didn't open for like 6 hours after we got there so we got to sit on 2 of the few seats in the lobby with our luggage....GRRRR!

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, kazu said:

1 minute ago, 57redbird said:

We feel the same about FLL.....& last time we flew from there the Alaska desks didn't open for like 6 hours after we got there so we got to sit on 2 of the few seats in the lobby with our luggage....GRRRR!

I detest FLL.  Terrible experiences there.

• Like 5

Jacqui - I agree with canadianbear - you have a right to be grumpy. I'm sorry to hear about the delays at airport. I hope there is some decent food and beverages. Best 

wishes for a smooth flight once you get on the plane. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kazu said:

the airport terminal from Hell (aka FLL)

Especially terminal D, used by Delta, but I'm booked to fly from there anyway, because it's the airline on which I get a free checked bag.

9 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

I, too, share everyone’s feelings on the state of FLL.  It’s one of the reasons I have decided not to do anymore Caribbean cruises. It’s just not worth it.

It does make me more interested in cruises from Port Canaveral, because I can fly from here nonstop to Sanford. That alone makes SFB worth considering even though it's not anywhere near the port, plus it's not FLL.

Edited by kochleffel
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, kazu said:

At least your onward connection hasn't been broken. I am on a forced layover.   Planes go mechanical, and the aircraft swap also necessitated a crew swap as well.   I feel badly for anyone inbound on that flight from Toronto -- it was to originally have arrived for 12h15 -- and no doubt there are [sameday flying judgment withheld] Rotterdam pax on that aircraft who most likely won't be joining their cruise until Oranjestad in four days time.  

1 hour ago, kazu said:

I see the flight is scheduled to leave at 5:20. That’s a long delay but better than yesterday when the flight was cancelled. I wonder what’s going on as the weather is perfect at YYZ. Maybe it’s the pilots making a statement?  Sorry you are caught in whatever it is. 

A flight delay of that length leads, I believe, to compensation. But the onus is on the passenger to ask for it. Check out the Canadian Transportation Agency website while waiting. 

Looking forward to the wrap up of your trip in due course, and thanks for taking us along.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, kochleffel said:

It does make me more interested in cruises from Port Canaveral, because I can fly from here nonstop to Sanford. That alone makes SFB worth considering even though it's not anywhere near the port, plus it's not FLL.

Sanford is a lovely airport and a great option for Port Canaveral.  We used to live nearby.  LOL’d at “… plus it’s not FLL.”  😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, BetsyS. said:

Jacqui - I agree with canadianbear - you have a right to be grumpy. I'm sorry to hear about the delays at airport. I hope there is some decent food and beverages. Best 

wishes for a smooth flight once you get on the plane. 

Thanks all for putting up with the Grumpy Gus.

My dinner with friends is now at 9 PM in Toronto.  they will hold the table until I can get there.  Will I feel like eating?  who cares.  I’ll enjoy the company but it’s an early flight tomorrow.

• Like 14

49 minutes ago, ON cruiser said:

A flight delay of that length leads, I believe, to compensation. But the onus is on the passenger to ask for it. Check out the Canadian Transportation Agency website while waiting. 

Looking forward to the wrap up of your trip in due course, and thanks for taking us along.

She had the pamphlets out.  I’m betting Air Canada uses the “beyond our control” with the mechanical issue.  Well if they knew they were changing planes, they should have known they would need new crew.

I will be doing a number of posts on the cruise.  The internet let down and the oasis at HMC really put me behind.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, 1of4 said:

I see the flight is scheduled to leave at 5:20. That’s a long delay but better than yesterday when the flight was cancelled. I wonder what’s going on as the weather is perfect at YYZ. Maybe it’s the pilots making a statement?  Sorry you are caught in whatever it is. 

Thanks Gail,

Interestingly enough, our pilot spoke to us in person today and thanked us for our patience (dream on).

He was called in and said if he didn’t come in our flight wouldn’t have gone.  He got some claps.  He did mention he was paid extra for it jokingly but added it was us that made the flight possible.

He told us about the flight and any noises we would hear.  I’ve had them come on from the cockpit before (that’s what I call it - I know it’s the wrong term but I am tired but it’s the first time I’ve seen them out here speaking to us in person.

He did a good job but it’s still Air Canada Rough - those in Canada know what I mean.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, YXU AC*SE said:

At least your onward connection hasn't been broken. I am on a forced layover.   Planes go mechanical, and the aircraft swap also necessitated a crew swap as well.   I feel badly for anyone inbound on that flight from Toronto -- it was to originally have arrived for 12h15 -- and no doubt there are [sameday flying judgment withheld] Rotterdam pax on that aircraft who most likely won't be joining their cruise until Oranjestad in four days time.  

Sorry about your forced layover, Scott. 😢 

I’m pretty sure the Rotterdam left later than planned today.  Crew immigration, CDC Health check not to mention the bunkering they need and supplies.

the ship was running out of everything from limes, flowers, wine, beer and Canadian bacon because they couldn’t do their restocking in Punta Delgada.

The captain assured us we had enough fuel to get to FLL but I think it was tight.  I suspect they will be bunkering for a long time.

But sadly, I do think those that chose to fly in the day of the cruise have missed today.

We had crew changeover but if they knew they had to change planes and the timing the crew should have been in place IMO.  It’s called common sense.  They sent the email at 11:53 last night apparently.  I wasn’t up like most people at that time on the pre-disembarkation day.  And no time to check emails (if they worked) this morning.  So, they knew.  It they needed new crew it should have been in place when they did the change.  Just my opinion.  

Grumpy grumpy Gus.  My dinner that we had planned for 6 is now at 9 - ugh.  But I will get to see special friends and family even if it is for a shorter time and endure the re check in at Pearson.  

Just glad to be in the air and not hear of another delay.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kazu said:

Sorry about your forced layover, Scott. 😢 

I’m pretty sure the Rotterdam left later than planned today.  Crew immigration, CDC Health check not to mention the bunkering they need and supplies.

the ship was running out of everything from limes, flowers, wine, beer and Canadian bacon because they couldn’t do their restocking in Punta Delgada.

The captain assured us we had enough fuel to get to FLL but I think it was tight.  I suspect they will be bunkering for a long time.

But sadly, I do think those that chose to fly in the day of the cruise have missed today.

We had crew changeover but if they knew they had to change planes and the timing the crew should have been in place IMO.  It’s called common sense.  They sent the email at 11:53 last night apparently.  I wasn’t up like most people at that time on the pre-disembarkation day.  And no time to check emails (if they worked) this morning.  So, they knew.  It they needed new crew it should have been in place when they did the change.  Just my opinion.  

Grumpy grumpy Gus.  My dinner that we had planned for 6 is now at 9 - ugh.  But I will get to see special friends and family even if it is for a shorter time and endure the re check in at Pearson.  

Just glad to be in the air and not hear of another delay.

Rotterdam left her berth - right about 5:15 pm. Lots of good toots.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, kazu said:

I’m pretty sure the Rotterdam left later than planned today.  Crew immigration, CDC Health check not to mention the bunkering they need and supplies

ATD (actual time of departure) 17h13 ET (21h13 UTC) 

image.thumb.png.285551314b5b9ffbd4a8d8edffc4b374.png

In the end, first world problems --  watching SNF in an airport strip dive bar, poaching wifi, and mindful of getting to the airport for a 07h15 departure ...  blessed to be able to travel w/ my parents-in-law and have a fun 15 days w/ HAL after a forced interregnum.     Scott.   

Edited by YXU AC*SE
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just trying to figure out where I left off before life and internet failure got in the way and a bit more recovery from delayed flight syndrome LOL.

In the meantime, I heard that Aaron @diandaa got a really good picture of the Oasis.  I hope I heard correctly and if I did that he will be kind enough to post it for us.

• Like 7