Lots of questions about Celebrity Beyond

catmonkeys

So excited to sail on the Celebrity Beyond soon! Have a few pretty specific questions:

- What’s the channel lineup in the staterooms?

- How many times a day do they offer trivia, games, crafts, and other activities like that? I’ve looked at some of the daily planners online and they don’t seem too frequent. 
- What’s the pickleball like? I can’t find anything about # courts, how many people play, wait times, etc.

- What quiet spots are there onboard, away from loud music, big screen sports, etc?

- Any inexpensive hotel recommendations in Ft. Lauderdale that will take people from the airport to the hotel for free, then the hotel to the ship? We were also told we could bring a case of water onboard. Where could we get one near the terminal?

Thanks for answering any of these questions that you can!

The app will not show the activities for your cruise until you are on the ship.  To get an idea of the activities you to the app, then browse out ships.  From there select a ship and the current sailing and you can see the Daily Planner.

I just did this for the Edge’s current sailing and there were at multiple trivia sessions, a couple of art/craft activities and other events and games.  

Just a side note....when you win trivia on Beyond you don't get anything for it.  On DCL there was a little medal, and on Equinox last summer I got little coupons that added up and at the end of the cruise I got a T shirt.  But on Beyond in April there was nothing.   

Pickleball is on the rooftop garden, a favorite area for me to read.  Exposed to the wind so best play would be in port.  Also no side fences, etc so it was amusing to watch.  As far as quiet, we found Eden at the rear of the ship was pretty peaceful during the day and beautiful.  The solarium is sometimes quiet until the hot tub crowd gets very loud.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, SbbquilterUT said:

Pickleball is on the rooftop garden, a favorite area for me to read.  Exposed to the wind so best play would be in port.  Also no side fences, etc so it was amusing to watch.  As far as quiet, we found Eden at the rear of the ship was pretty peaceful during the day and beautiful.  The solarium is sometimes quiet until the hot tub crowd gets very loud.  

This is super helpful. For the pickleball, was it just a single court, and were there long lines of people waiting to play?

Just now, catmonkeys said:

This is super helpful. For the pickleball, was it just a single court, and were there long lines of people waiting to play?

On every ship that we sailed with Pickleball it is a real mix, beginners wanting to learn, tennis players wanting to stand at the baseline and smash, and folks who play at home and just want a good game.  On Apex it was a single court - put paddles in line when you want to play in.  

2 hours ago, catmonkeys said:

Yikes! I wonder if anyone has successfully streamed from an iPhone in a deluxe interior room? 

The channel lineup varies by where you are sailing.  Some channels different in Europe vs. North America.  Far more than 30 year old TV shows.

Yes with the streaming package people have streamed using an iphone.  Seemed complicated. 

Again, we do not cruise to watch TV.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

The channel lineup varies by where you are sailing.  Some channels different in Europe vs. North America.  Far more than 30 year old TV shows.

Yes with the streaming package people have streamed using an iphone.  Seemed complicated. 

Again, we do not cruise to watch TV.

This will be in the Caribbean. I have to keep a teenager busy, so will need lots of options. Sometimes she’ll just want to chill out in our cabin. 

I download movies to my iPad that I’ve been wanting to watch. Also lots of books to my kindle. I think we’ve watched only one movie in all the years I’ve done this, but it’s nice to have the option. You can also download streaming series, of course. 

17 hours ago, catmonkeys said:

So excited to sail on the Celebrity Beyond soon! Have a few pretty specific questions:

- How many times a day do they offer trivia, games, crafts, and other activities like that? I’ve looked at some of the daily planners online and they don’t seem too frequent. 
- What’s the pickleball like? I can’t find anything about # courts, how many people play, wait times, etc.

- What quiet spots are there onboard, away from loud music, big screen sports, etc?

- Any inexpensive hotel recommendations in Ft. Lauderdale that will take people from the airport to the hotel for free, then the hotel to the ship? We were also told we could bring a case of water onboard. Where could we get one near the terminal?

On our Beyond cruise, there were about 2 trivia sessions daily.  No prizes which made it more enjoyable.  No cheating. The number of trivia sessions if often dependent on the particular Activities Staff. There was a daily craft activity.

As for PIckleball the times are rather limited.  There is no dedicated court but an area that is shared for family games, outdoor movies, etc.  

Eden is the best place to find a quiet spot to read and relax. What you have to do is start from the beginning of the curving walkway ramp and check out all the spots along the way. There are places with direct views of the huge aft windows but there are also other very secluded nooks to be away from everything. Eden is more than just the bar in the main aft atrium. There's also seating along the corridor leading to Eden. 

For outdoor spaces lots of places on Deck 15 with both sunny and shaded areas.

For a good area in FLL to stay check out the Dania Beach and Dania Place neighborhoods. There are a multitude of hotels of all ranges. It a perfect location near both the port and airport and restaurants and shops. Please don't get hung up with only choosing a hotel with shuttle services. Taxis and Uber/Lyft are quite honestly a better option for transfers than a hotel shuttle. 

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

We would also catch the morning trivia around 10:30Am IIRC.  They would also have on in the afternoon as well as contest like archery, chipping or putting, basketball and ladder golf. These were usually in the afternoon.  As noted previously, no prizes for trivia. I did win a t-shirt for archery.

On 10/8/2023 at 8:43 AM, catmonkeys said:

It would help to know what your price range is for a hotel

20 minutes ago, catmonkeys said:

Under $125 would be great, since we’ll barely be there. 

Try this link (not alot of freebies unfortunately so you may have to look at it from a total cost perspective )

https://www.allcruisehotels.com/blog/ft-lauderdale-hotels-cruise-shuttle/

image.thumb.jpeg.c76128715f89f861c8e8f5243fb6d454.jpeg

Edited by Cruise till you drop

10 hours ago, keesar said:

On our Beyond cruise, there were about 2 trivia sessions daily.  No prizes which made it more enjoyable.  No cheating. The number of trivia sessions if often dependent on the particular Activities Staff. There was a daily craft activity.

As for PIckleball the times are rather limited.  There is no dedicated court but an area that is shared for family games, outdoor movies, etc.  

I enjoy sitting out on the deck at Eden on the aft of the ship with a book and glass of wine. Its considered a smoking area but I've rarely encountered any and if I do just move down to another spot. 

• Like 1

On 10/8/2023 at 7:43 AM, catmonkeys said:

Channel lineup is MINIMAL...mostly cruise TV & a few news channels

Trivia--usually 3x/day.

Game shows--usually every evening

Pool games--2-3x on sea days

Crafts--occasionally I've seen one in the planner

Pickleball--one court, I believe 

How many play will entirely vary from cruise to cruise based on interest--you should see open Pickleball time in the planner.

Quiet areas--Cafe al Bacio while busy is usually fairly quiet during the day, unless a band is playing on deck 3. Eden may occasionally have a trivia or musician during the day, it is often quiet, and rarely busy during the day. The Club is another quiet place much of the day. Rooftop Garden is usually quiet unless there is a movie or a fitness class. Sunset Bar is also a nice quiet area. Also outside deck areas.

You may be able to get a free airport shuttle but I don't think any have free port shuttles. 

You can typically book a paid shuttle with them, but a Lyft/Uber is nearly always less than what 2 would pay for a shuttle.

We have done Crowne Plaza on State Road or Hyatt Place in the Las Olas area are probably our favs; Candlewood Suites on State Road or Hampton in Las Olas are solid runner ups. All 10 min. from the port.

Edited by KKB
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, catmonkeys said:

Under $125 would be great, since we’ll barely be there. 

This price point is likely unattainable. $200 is likely closer to a low end possibility. 

That being said, depending on when you are traveling, I used valuetrips.com for our upcoming Beyond sailing in Dec.

$129 was shocking--I haven't seen anything that low in MANY years.

Now, that price was dependent on the dates we happened to sail (low season)

https://www.valuetrips.com/AMS/FL/F17.htm

Edited by KKB

19 minutes ago, KKB said:

This price point is likely unattainable. $200 is likely closer to a low end possibility. 

That being said, depending on when you are traveling, I used valuetrips.com for our upcoming Beyond sailing in Dec.

$129 was shocking--I haven't seen anything that low in MANY years.

Now, that price was dependent on the dates we happened to sail (low season)

https://www.valuetrips.com/AMS/FL/F17.htm

Wow, what a great rate! Have you used that site before and trust it? We’ll be on Beyond in December so it would be that same rate. 

9 minutes ago, catmonkeys said:

Wow, what a great rate! Have you used that site before and trust it? We’ll be on Beyond in December so it would be that same rate. 

It was recommended by someone on the thread for our cruise; they had used them before.