Medallion Oops

Tedferg

Formal night DW decided she did not want to wear Medallion, so OK mine worked fine for drinks etc.

This morning steward stopped DW to make sure she was OK- he said , ‘You were in the cabin all evening, I was afraid you were not well'

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, Tedferg said:

Formal night DW decided she did not want to wear Medallion, so OK mine worked fine for drinks etc.

This morning steward stopped DW to make sure she was OK- he said , ‘You were in the cabin all evening, I was afraid you were not well'

Yup, when they see the medallion in cabin overnight - while the other is out and about, they start to wonder.. 

You could carry her medallion for her. Any issue solved.. 

Or she can slip it in her wristlet or a pocket pocket - it doesn't have to be worn.. 

Just now, reedprincess said:

Yup, when they see the medallion in cabin overnight - while the other is out and about, they start to wonder.. 

You could carry her medallion for her. Any issue solved.. 

Or she can slip it in her wristlet or a pocket pocket - it doesn't have to be worn.. 

Right, I did not think that it would show her still in cabin. Easy to slip medallion in my pocket. 

• 2 weeks later...

Our room steward showed us on the screen outside of the door that they can see if the medallion is inside the cabin or not. He just swiped down, and he could see that neither one of our medallions were in the cabin.

We absolutely hated the medallions. We tried them, because everybody on here kept saying, try the medallions, try the medallions. Well, we did, and we hated them. We had issues with them all week, but the biggest problem was we had charges showing on our onboard account that did not belong to us, and we had to go stand in line at guest services to have them removed each time. CHECK YOUR ACCOUNTS DAILY!!

I am going to try and find time to do a review of our cruise.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, jennmaybe said:

Our room steward showed us on the screen outside of the door that they can see if the medallion is inside the cabin or not. He just swiped down, and he could see that neither one of our medallions were in the cabin.

We absolutely hated the medallions. We tried them, because everybody on here kept saying, try the medallions, try the medallions. Well, we did, and we hated them. We had issues with them all week, but the biggest problem was we had charges showing on our onboard account that did not belong to us, and we had to go stand in line at guest services to have them removed each time. CHECK YOUR ACCOUNTS DAILY!!

Checking your accounts daily is something everyone should do regardless.  I'm not disrespecting your opinions about the medallions but adding some perspective.  Go over to Holland America and go on a sailing.  You will get a traditional cruise card.  They will require a signature on a receipt for every drink you order, even if you have a drink package..

They require a signature due to rampant problems with people being mischarged for drinks.  These rampant problems existed with cruise cards.  It's not really a new problem or a medallion specific problem.  It's a process problem for how the staff as charging stuff to accounts. They're way too often not careful enough, especially with drink packages so common now where most mischarged drink orders go unnoticed because people have a package anyway.

To be fair they may have rolled back this process at this point, but it was definitely the case around this time last year.  Our sailing in Nov '22 on the Nieuw Statendam was apparently the first cruise to adopt this policy.  Lucky us.  It was definitely inconvenient.  It continued for at least a number of months afterwards as well.  I stopped following closely enough to know if it continues to this day, but it was 100% a policy for quite some time, not long ago.

Edited by PMGS247
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jennmaybe said:

You don’t have to stand in line. You can call GS or do crew chat and they will remove the charge.

May be ship dependent.  We did see a charge on our account a couple of times a year ago after the restart.  But, nothing in the last few cruises this past year.

We love the OM and it’s ease of use OB.  Hope it works out better for you next time.

What ship did you have these problems with? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jennmaybe said:

Are you aware that when you first get on the ship you can go to the main desk & get a cruise card?  Let us know what you think?

Tom🤔

1 hour ago, trbarton said:

Are you aware that when you first get on the ship you can go to the main desk & get a cruise card?  Let us know what you think?

You know what I think? A cruise card doesn't solve either of the issues the poster brought up.

1) Without Medallions in the room, the system will still show the room as having no one inside.

2) The problem with bogus charges on the folio is the result of busy bartenders making mistakes and has next to nothing to do with the Medallions. Arguably, the less than perfect function of the Medallions may contribute to this. But bartenders were writing down wrong cabin numbers and making all sorts of errors long before Medallions existed.

So what obtaining a cruise card get me in these scenarios?

• Like 2

We don't mind the medallions and always have ours with us.  The room steward checks to see if you are in the room (or at least they should) before opening the door.  When we are in there the steward knocks on the door and waits until we answer it.  Common courtesy.  DW wears hers around her neck while I keep mine in my pocket.  It is really small so no big issue.  I check our folio several times a day to make sure nothing wrong gets posted.  I have not had a problem in years.  I will keep watching though. 

• Like 2