Celebrity Edge has Entered Dry Dock

Jim_Iain

Another post by Leesa Wells Phenix about an hour ago-

My daughter is a part of the crew and went “way under” this morning! Last day in dry dock! She’s all clean and ready to go 🚢.   Thanks, Leesa for the wonderful pictures.   You help the excitement grow.

image.thumb.jpeg.3e31398dcef93addbf679c9bcf0d4258.jpeg

• Like 1

Terry -  That I have no idea.   They also may not even  be part of Edge.   It may have just been a prop for the picture.

I blew up the  picture and they looked used as there are barnacles on them.

Edited by Jim_Iain

Those two Azipods on a trailer look much too small. This Youtube video has some details from one of the Edge class ships. The propellors alone are the size of a small car. Engineers inspect inside the Azipods monthly, Captain Kate "helped" them on one inspection and said it was cramped inside.

Edited by Chanbre

26 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Terry -  That I have no idea.   They also may not even  be part of Edge.   It may have just been a prop for the picture.

I wonder if they came off the Edge to be rebuilt or just to do maintenance. It is nice to know that the Edge is getting her tune up and hull cleaned for maximum speed and efficiency before heading down under.

43 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Those are not from the EDGE.  The azipod has five propeller blades, the diameter of the blade rotation is about 6m and the propeller assembly (blades plius hub) weighs in at about 25T.

23 minutes ago, calicakes said:

We're boarding on February 25th. GBR cruise. We're in AQ

We leave for Sydney on Jan 8th and return home Feb 15th. Doing a B2B starting Jan 13th and end with a 10-day self-driving trip from Melbourne to Adelade and back along the great ocean road and then the Aussie wine country.

• Like 2

The propellers shown in the photos are thruster modules.  As for the azipods, I will tread carefully in contradicting Captain Kate here on the Celebrity board, but while there may be maintenance done inside the azipods monthly, they are inspected far more frequently.

7 minutes ago, hcat said:

Seems like that was a quick maint

" time  out" for EDGE... !

What, if anything was done inside?

Other than adding a full bar in the Retreat Lounge, not sure if much else was done. This was a standard 5 year maintenance and preparation for her going to the land down under for the southern summer season.

7 minutes ago, sdrobin said:

Looking great. Thanks for sharing. We will be on the Edge on January 25, 2024 in Sydney for B2B to Great Barrier Reef and Sydney/New Zealand. Safe travels Edge.

We are also on that cruise and the one before it on Jan 13th.  Have you joined our Roll Call?