Alaska on Celebrity

Salf777

So we have never done Alaska and our travel agent says Celebrity does not do glacier bay and would recommend another line. In looking I see Celebrity has Dawes Glacier, Southbound glacier, northbound glacier, and Hubbard glacier. She also said that the Seattle to Seattle doesn’t do the inside passage which the itinerary says it does. She said Seattle to Seattle has to go via ocean to make up time and it’s not a scenic. Suggested sailing from Victoria BC   
so my questions are to those who have done 

1. What’s the difference in all these glaciers? Is one better than another?

2. Would prefer flying into and out of Seattle but not a deal breaker do you think the itinerary from Victoria is truly better? We have been to Victoria so don’t feel the need to stay there

3. May is a better time for us to sail but an do June or July is may not a good time to go?

4. Any other insight on Alaska anyone can provide appreciated 

5. Is celebrity good for Alaska or would you suggest another line?

• Like 1

I'm not qualified to comment on the specifics of the glaciers, all I can say is that I've done an Alaskan cruise on Celebrity and it was plenty scenic -- I don't feel like I missed out on anything and if you enjoy cruising with Celebrity, then I think it is absolutely a fine choice.

• Like 2

We have done Alaska with Celebrity four times, NCL two times, and Royal Caribbean one time.

With the above cruises we have been to Hubbard Glacier, Tracy Arm fjord, and Glacier Bay. While Celebrity does not go to Glacier Bay, they do go to Hubbard which is an amazing site. Being really honest, I personally was a little underwhelmed with Glacier Bay considering all the hype it gets. 

Whichever cruise line you decide on, we would definitely recommend that you sail out of Vancouver rather than Seattle and I am not just saying that because I live in Canada. Not sure of which cruise line your TA is thinking about that leaves from Victoria. I can’t think of one that does…

In case it helps, there is both a train and a bus service that connects Vancouver and Seattle if you want to fly in and out of Seattle. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, canloan said:

We have done Alaska with Celebrity four times, NCL two times, and Royal Caribbean one time.

With the above cruises we have been to Hubbard Glacier, Tracy Arm fjord, and Glacier Bay. While Celebrity does not go to Glacier Bay, they do go to Hubbard which is an amazing site. Being really honest, I personally was a little underwhelmed with Glacier Bay considering all the hype it gets. 

Whichever cruise line you decide on, we would definitely recommend that you sail out of Vancouver rather than Seattle and I am not just saying that because I live in Canada. Not sure of which cruise line your TA is thinking about that leaves from Victoria. I can’t think of one that does…

In case it helps, there is both a train and a bus service that connects Vancouver and Seattle if you want to fly in and out of Seattle. 

I was in error it is out of Vancouver and not Victoria my error. Thanks for all the insight 

I should add that we have been to Alaska in early May, middle May, later June, end of August, and early September, and the middle of September . Mid-May is our favourite time as there is still snow on all the mountains which is beautiful to see, the day time temperature is often comfortable for outdoor activities as it has started to warm up,  and it is not the rainy season yet. 

Edited by canloan
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Salf777 said:

So we have never done Alaska and our travel agent says Celebrity does not do glacier bay and would recommend another line. In looking I see Celebrity has Dawes Glacier, Southbound glacier, northbound glacier, and Hubbard glacier. She also said that the Seattle to Seattle doesn’t do the inside passage which the itinerary says it does. She said Seattle to Seattle has to go via ocean to make up time and it’s not a scenic. Suggested sailing from Victoria BC   
so my questions are to those who have done 

1. What’s the difference in all these glaciers? Is one better than another?

2. Would prefer flying into and out of Seattle but not a deal breaker do you think the itinerary from Victoria is truly better? We have been to Victoria so don’t feel the need to stay there

3. May is a better time for us to sail but an do June or July is may not a good time to go?

4. Any other insight on Alaska anyone can provide appreciated 

5. Is celebrity good for Alaska or would you suggest another line?

I sailed on the Celebrity Eclipse in August 2022 which included Hubbard Glacier, Vancouver Departure. 
I also sailed the Holland America Koningsdam in May 2023 which included Glacier Bay, Vancouver Departure.

Both were fantastic experiences.

HA cruise we spent 7am-4pm in Glacier Bay looking at multiple glaciers, Eclipse 3 hours at Hubbard. 
Both cruises stopped in Juneau and we did an excursion to Mendenhall Glacier which was impressive as well,

I have never sailed from Seattle but the inside passage route from Vancouver, cruising past Vancouver island was beautiful.

Skagway was also a stop on the HA ship and the train excursion was just as impressive as the glaciers. To me that is a “must do” in Alaska

Cruise ship wise- service, food, entertainment and more importantly “viewing areas” were far better on Celebrity better then HA, although having Park Rangers onboard providing commentary and doing presentations was outstanding.

I think I would select the cruise that has the most time in Alaska vs travelling to Alaska. 
I am headed back to Alaska on the Solstice in June because there is still a lot of new things to see!

55568B35-A070-41D2-8270-C406B72A68CA.jpeg

45B608F1-3760-4414-8A0D-C69D76E7CB64.jpeg

FD434131-7A84-47C5-8086-7B0C9AE1B1E1.jpeg

5386A02C-21C6-44DE-B4C0-12F72F5C420A.jpeg

F3A43EB1-EE9B-40B3-936D-A869953415A0.jpeg

E2F1D881-ED4F-48E7-9BDE-B59B9C2EC9CC.jpeg

6D838332-1763-45A7-8776-3C1A2740052C.jpeg

3A197B5F-0618-4960-A392-055E3E5A0D23.jpeg

• Like 5

Just some random comments from someone who lives in Alaska and has also done seven Alaska itineraries.  We have done Vancouver to Seward (and the reverse), RTs out of Vancouver and also in 2021, when limited Alaska cruises were one allowed under the Alaska Tourism Recovery Act, were on a B2B RT out of Seattle.

I am not aware of any Alaska itineraries embarking in Victoria, BC.  Ones embarking in BC embark from Vancouver.  

Hubbard and Dawes Glaciers are massive tidewater glaciers.  My geologist husband finds Hubbard particularly interesting as it is one of the few tidewater glaciers accessed by cruise ship which is advancing.  And I also don't understand the fascination with Glacier Bay as all of those glaciers are retreating (noticeably melting).

May is traditionally the drier summer month for South East Alaska.  Alaska is a family destination, and there will be fewer families with small kiddos on board.  The maximum hours of day light occurs on the Summer Solstice (June 21st).  

The RTs out of Seattle means more time at sea so not so much great scenery.  While it may be convenient to fly into Seattle it is also very easy to move between Seattle and Vancouver.  It is a quick flight.  There is also regularly scheduled motor coach service.  The Amtrak rail trip is scenic.

Celebrity Alaska itineraries will have a naturalist onboard.  They will have presentations and are often on deck looking for wildlife.

If you are considering a land trip in addition to the cruise be aware that the single road into Denali National Park is closed approximately midway.  It will not be opened until at least 2026.  The road was built over some ice rich land which is now melting and sloughing off a mountainside. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Your TA is wrong concerning why the Seattle cruises don't go north on the inside passage. It's just the straightest way to get to the Alaska towns. Coming back, you do the inside passage going into Victoria, B.C., then onto Seattle. It's much cheaper from the U.S. to fly into Seattle than Vancouver, and a lot less hassle. As far as the glaciers, we've been to Alaska 3 times and have visited most of the glaciers, including Glacier Nat'l Park, and are in awe of them all. What ever you decide, I'm sure you will love it.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, canloan said:

I should add that we have been to Alaska in early May, middle May, later June, end of August, and early September, and the middle of September . Mid-May is our favourite time as there is still snow on all the mountains which is beautiful to see, the day time temperature is often comfortable for outdoor activities as it has started to warm up,  and it is not the rainy season yet. 

Are there many kids on the ship in mid May?  We don’t want to do June July or August to avoid kids and we’re thinking September.  But we worry about the rainy season

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Cruise till you drop said:

Are there many kids on the ship in mid May?  We don’t want to do June July or August to avoid kids and we’re thinking September.  But we worry about the rainy season

I am not @canloan but I will also answer.  My experience with Alaska cruises in May is that there are enough schools still in session that there will be fewer kiddos.  But the ship will not be totally free of kids.  

Alaska seems to attract multi-generational families.  You will see grandparents with their adult children and grandchildren on these itineraries.

SE Alaska is a PNW rainforest.  But there is definitely a greater chance of more rain in late August and September than in May or early June.  And I find it amazing that some cruise lines are extending their Alaska season into October.  I would only take an Alaska cruise in October if it was free, and then I would expect to stay on the ship during port calls and pack a sufficient amount of motion sickness meds.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

Just some random comments from someone who lives in Alaska and has also done seven Alaska itineraries.  

Thank you so much for sharing, Northern Aurora.  I found your comments and insights to be very informative and helped answer some questions I actually have about which glaciers to see, the differences between them, etc. for when I book an Alaska cruise (hopefully in the not too distant future!)  Much appreciated!!

What are the bugs like mid-May? We’ve done Alaska twice in September, very little rain (just lucky? 🤷‍♀️), no bugs, few kids but of course little snow on the mountains. 

Wanting to try again earlier in the season to see the same scenery with a topping of white but concerned about having to take bug spray and/or wear head nets. 

• Like 1

The problem with Dawe's Glacier is that it's at the end of a fjord with a sharp, narrow bend that's often too full of ice for ships to get near the glaciers. So in summer of 2022 I went on 3 cruises there, and only Solstice got close enough to see the glacier close. Still, it's fairly small, with no calving, but before the sharp turn the ship stops and drops off people who pay to go on a pricey excursion on a smaller boat, that should get closer. Glacier Bay is nice, but not incredible, since most of the glaciers going in are melting and receding, so there's only one at the end that reaches the water, but has nice calving. If you go from Vancouver to Whittier on Princess you'll go past College Fjord glaciers, which are also receding and thus not impressive. The best one is Hubbard Glacier, which you'll see if you go on Summit or Solstice. It's larger than the other glaciers, and actually growing, since it's cold enough and gets tons of ice flowing into it. It also has lots of impressive calving, but how close you get to it depends on the amount of ice in the bay. It sounds like cannons going off, the tons of ice crashing into the water. So I'd choose Solstice, because it's r/t from Vancouver, and a nice ship with a forward inside viewing lounge and two upper outside viewing lounges, and it visits Hubbard Glacier. Then if you want to return some day, you could go to Glacier Bay on Princess or HAL or NCL. Or you could go on Princess from Whittier, flying into Anchorage, and get both Hubbard and Glacier Bay, and since they have 3-4 ships going from there, prices are extremely cheap. I would highly advise against going out of Seattle, since you spend time on the open ocean to the west of Vancouver Island, with rough seas often, whereas ships going to and from Vancouver go on the calmer, more scenic inside passage on the west of Vancouver Island. Going out of Vancouver, you also sail under the Lion's Gate bridge, with maybe 20 feet of clearance, and bikers stopping to wave to you. Seattle prices are also outrageous and ships at over 100% capacity. There are many daily, inexpensive flights from Seatac to YVR in Vancouver, or you can take a scenic train from Seattle to Vancouver, or if you can fly into Bellingham, my home, and take a train or bus to Vancouver the next day. 

I'm a former Alaskan resident and have done many Alaskan cruises on all the major lines except Norwegian. For the glacier experience, my favorite is Glacier Bay. I've had some amazing sail-ins with lots of sightings of bear and sheep and you will pass several glaciers along the way, though not up close. Margerie Glacier, the ultimate destination, is impressive, but I've seen dozens of impressive glaciers in Alaska. I find the sail in with the rangers onboard to be the highlight. Do take advantage of the cultural ranger to understand the relationship of the Tlingit people to their native lands in Glacier Bay. Hubbad Glacier is definitely the largest glacier visited by cruise ships and certainly worth visiting, it's just not the same experence you get in Glacier Bay National Park. And if it's glaciers you are into, Mendenhall is easily accessible in Juneau as well or take a float plane by Taku Glacier and enjoy some salmon (and bears) at Taku lodge. If you take a one-way through Seward, take a Kenai Fjords tour that takes you up close to some glaciers from the Harding Ice Field as well as lots of marine life. In Seward, it's an easy hike to Exit Glacier if you want to get up close. As others have mentioned, College Fjord is visited by cruise ships headed to Whittier or there a local operator there that does a "26 Glacier Cruise". Oh, and there is a lot to see and do besides glaciers and there is no way to do it all so pick the line and itinerary that works best for you.

Regarding the question about the mosquitos, mid-May should be fine. That said, I always travel with industrial bug spray just in case but would never expect to need a head net on these cruise ports. (The interior in the summer - that's another story). 

Edited by kennystwin
  • Thanks 2

Last September we did an Alaskan Cruise on Celebrity which included Hubbard Glacier and Endicott, and then 2 weeks later a NCL cruise which included Glacier Bay.  Both left from Vancouver.
Hubbard Bay was absolutely amazing and we were underwhelmed by Glacier Bay.  If I had a choice between the two I would go for Hubbard every time.  
However as others have said, also the amount of (quality) time that you have at the other stops also needs to be a factor and the most time that you can spend somewhere to really take in everything needs to taken in

We have now been to Alaska on five cruises. Two of them left out of Vancouver and visited Hubbard Glacier. (Aug and June). Hubbard Glacier was spectacular.  We experienced better weather in June and had the advantage of much later daylight and saw more wildlife.  The next three left out of Seattle and all were in early June. School was not out yet for many of the school kids. All three of these cruises visited Endicott Arm and Dawes Glacier. On one of them we did the excursion that offloaded into a smaller ship and got much closer to Dawes  Glacier. Our weather was not the best as it was cold and turned to rain on the way back to meet the ship in Juneau.  We have definitely had a preference for early June over the one we did in Aug for better weather and longer daylight.  We saw so much more. 

13 hours ago, Janedoe2012 said:

I sailed on the Celebrity Eclipse in August 2022 which included Hubbard Glacier, Vancouver Departure. 
I also sailed the Holland America Koningsdam in May 2023 which included Glacier Bay, Vancouver Departure.

Both were fantastic experiences.

HA cruise we spent 7am-4pm in Glacier Bay looking at multiple glaciers, Eclipse 3 hours at Hubbard. 
Both cruises stopped in Juneau and we did an excursion to Mendenhall Glacier which was impressive as well,

I have never sailed from Seattle but the inside passage route from Vancouver, cruising past Vancouver island was beautiful.

Skagway was also a stop on the HA ship and the train excursion was just as impressive as the glaciers. To me that is a “must do” in Alaska

Cruise ship wise- service, food, entertainment and more importantly “viewing areas” were far better on Celebrity better then HA, although having Park Rangers onboard providing commentary and doing presentations was outstanding.

I think I would select the cruise that has the most time in Alaska vs travelling to Alaska. 
I am headed back to Alaska on the Solstice in June because there is still a lot of new things to see!

55568B35-A070-41D2-8270-C406B72A68CA.jpeg

45B608F1-3760-4414-8A0D-C69D76E7CB64.jpeg

FD434131-7A84-47C5-8086-7B0C9AE1B1E1.jpeg

5386A02C-21C6-44DE-B4C0-12F72F5C420A.jpeg

F3A43EB1-EE9B-40B3-936D-A869953415A0.jpeg

E2F1D881-ED4F-48E7-9BDE-B59B9C2EC9CC.jpeg

6D838332-1763-45A7-8776-3C1A2740052C.jpeg

3A197B5F-0618-4960-A392-055E3E5A0D23.jpeg

• Like 1

Also go to the naturalist presentations. If your lucky enough to have Celia Garland as your onboard naturalist don’t miss anything, she is amazing.

Im a big fan of the southbound journey. Taking the train from Anchorage to Seward then taking a tour of Seward including a hike to Exit glacier before boarding the ship.

• Like 1