Celebrity 2 Wine Bottles... In cabin or dinner only?

adsjayhawk

Good Morning,

We will be on the Celebrity Silhouette Nov 6th sailing.  We will bring the two bottles of wine allowed.  Can we enjoy these in our cabin/balcony or do they take then and bring them out at dinner???

Thank you!

@adsjayhawk - Welcome to cruise critic!

Your question has been answered but if you have more about a specific cruise line, make sure you check out their forum.  Each line has one that you can access from the cruise critic home page.  Celebrity's is https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/16-celebrity-cruises/

Have a wonderful cruise!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leaveitallbehind said:

You can take them anywhere on board to drink, but their policy is to charge a $25 corkage fee if consumed in a bar or dining venue. I am not sure how strictly enforced this policy is, however. 

it is not so much consumed in a bar or dining venue it is getting them to open it when the corkage fee is charged.    I would go to a bar get a wine glass (cabin steward can also get) open my wine in my cabin pour a glass and walk around with it, take it to dinner, sit a bar et all.  No charge for that.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Woody14 said:

it is not so much consumed in a bar or dining venue it is getting them to open it when the corkage fee is charged.    I would go to a bar get a wine glass (cabin steward can also get) open my wine in my cabin pour a glass and walk around with it, take it to dinner, sit a bar et all.  No charge for that.

Understood.  I was, as you suggest, referring to taking the full / unopened bottle to the venues.  That being said, although we are not big wine drinkers, in the past when we have taken a bottle with us they have not enforced the corkage fee policy.  But this has not been recently.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

5 hours ago, Woody14 said:

The term “corkage” (as applied in a land restaurant) is different than on a cruise ship.

On most ships with a “corkage” charge, that charge (having nothing to do with removal of a cork) is a fee for ANY bottle of your personal wine (whole bottle or just a self poured glass) removed from the cabin. Doing what you suggest (leave the bottle in the cabin and carry its content around in a glass) is a violation of most cruise lines’ alcohol policy.

If you don’t believe that, look up the booze restrictions in your cruise’s T&Cs and/or Ticket Contract. You may also see the restrictions in the ship’s online FAQs and occasional reminders in the daily info sheet provided to all guests.

19 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

.Doing what you suggest (leave the bottle in the cabin and carry its content around in a glass) is a violation of most cruise lines’ alcohol policy.

If you don’t believe that, look up the booze restrictions in your cruise’s T&Cs and/or Ticket Contract. You may also see the restrictions in the ship’s online FAQs and occasional reminders in the daily info sheet provided to all guests.

I apologize in advance if it is there but I can not find where this is a violation.   Can you point me to where in the celebrity alcohol policy https://www.celebritycruises.com/company/customer-support/conduct-policy#alcohol-policy.  or in the ticket contract / T&C https://www.celebritycruises.com/guest-terms/ where this is?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Woody14 said:

I apologize in advance if it is there but I can not find where this is a violation.   Can you point me to where in the celebrity alcohol policy https://www.celebritycruises.com/company/customer-support/conduct-policy#alcohol-policy.  or in the ticket contract / T&C https://www.celebritycruises.com/guest-terms/ where this is?

From your first citation:

Guests are not permitted to bring alcoholic beverages onboard; with the exception of embarkation day when each guest (of legal drinking age) is permitted to bring onboard one (1) 750 ml bottle of wine (which are subject to a corkage fee) per guest.

Looks like it’s a flat charge per personal bottle no matter where you drink all or part of it.

FWIW: There are cruise lines with far more generous allowances. For example, Oceania allows you to bring onboard as much of any kind of legal alcohol you want. However, spirits must remain in the cabin (O will supply all available mixers you require at no charge) and, if you remove personal wine from your cabin (bottle or glass) for consumption in a dining or other public venue, there is a $25 per bottle “corkage” charge (again, it has nothing to do with any crew member opening a  bottle. Rather these “corkage” charges are primarily to compensate the cruise line for glassware usage, hotel staff (if needed) and lost revenue from BYOB).

Just off Celebrity Summit and we brought wine on board.  Forget bottle opener but cabin steward brought us one to open our bottles.  We would pour our wine into our own cups (but there are cups in the stateroom) and bring it around with us even in the main dining room - no issues or questions.

FYI, sommelier would still come to our table and ask if wanted wine for dinner even though we had our cups on the table.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mrmj59 said:

Just off Celebrity Summit and we brought wine on board.  Forget bottle opener but cabin steward brought us one to open our bottles.  We would pour our wine into our own cups (but there are cups in the stateroom) and bring it around with us even in the main dining room - no issues or questions.

FYI, sommelier would still come to our table and ask if wanted wine for dinner even though we had our cups on the table.

Cups? If not wine glasses, how would wine steward know it’s wine. 
In addition, check your onboard account, you may see the “corkage” charge if the bottles were noted at embarkation.

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

In addition, check your onboard account, you may see the “corkage” charge if the bottles were noted at embarkation.

Just noting that we had no issues with the wine we brought aboard and we had no "corkage" charge.

Brought wine on my last 4 cruises.

Last October it was 2 bottles pp.They dropped it down to 1 pp since then.

Took the bottles to dinner and have never been charged a corkage fee.

We did have a drink package on every cruise.

3 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Not likely they would be noted at embarkation as typically they are carry on bottles - which is most cruise lines preferred manner - and are checked along with all your carry on items by security at check in.  Those who man the security lines are port employees, not cruise line employees.  All they care about is that you are within the cruise lines policy for carry on bottles.  And in our 30 years + experience they have never been noted in any manner that is reported to the cruise lines. Typically anything outside of the policy or over the allowance is kept at security and likely "disposed of" by them.  Items in your checked luggage are things that would be noted by the cruise lines and then held by the cruise lines until the end of the cruise to be returned to you if not within their policy.

Besides in our experience corkage fees are typically only charged if a bottle is opened, served, or stored by a dining or beverage venue - not as it is brough onto the ship.  If you open it yourself and enjoy it anywhere else on the ship, no corkage fee applies.

• Like 1

Celebrity’s website does not explain it very well.  There is absolutely no corkage fee or any kind of fee for bringing the one bottle per person allowed onboard.  If you have a beverage package there will be no corkage fee if you bring your bottle to a bar or restaurant.  If you don’t have a beverage package there is a likelihood you will be charged a corkage fee bringing it to a bar or restaurant.  In order to avoid this (if you do not have a beverage package) then simply open the bottle in your cabin, pour a glass and go wherever you want.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jmdlv1 said:

Brought wine on my last 4 cruises.

Last October it was 2 bottles pp.They dropped it down to 1 pp since then.

Took the bottles to dinner and have never been charged a corkage fee.

We did have a drink package on every cruise.

That is correct.  The fine prints says those with the Classic or Premium Beverage Package are not charged the corkage fee. 

On 10/23/2023 at 5:33 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

From your first citation:

Guests are not permitted to bring alcoholic beverages onboard; with the exception of embarkation day when each guest (of legal drinking age) is permitted to bring onboard one (1) 750 ml bottle of wine (which are subject to a corkage fee) per guest.

Looks like it’s a flat charge per personal bottle no matter where you drink all or part of it.

Their wording could be a lot better however, unless it has changed in the last 9 months the corkage fee only applies if you take the wine out of your cabin.  If you consume the wine in your cabin there is no charge.  They don't charge you for bringing the wine onboard.

3 minutes ago, LB_NJ said:

Their wording could be a lot better however, unless it has changed in the last 9 months the corkage fee only applies if you take the wine out of your cabin.  If you consume the wine in your cabin there is no charge.  They don't charge you for bringing the wine onboard.

My understanding is you can consume it in your stateroom and anywhere on the ship with the exception of bars and dining venues, which would then subject you to the corkage fee.

Your stateroom is not the only area you can consume brought on board wine in our experience, unless this is a very recent change.  Not sure how they can monitor or enforce passengers with a glass of wine in their hands that could just as easily have come from any venue.  As mentioned previously, although not big wine drinkers, we have done this in the past - including taking a glass of wine to dinner with no issues.  

And to your other point there is no corkage fee just for bringing it on board - only if it is opened, served, or stored in one of the bars or dining venues.

• Like 1

On 10/23/2023 at 2:43 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

The term “corkage” (as applied in a land restaurant) is different than on a cruise ship.

On most ships with a “corkage” charge, that charge (having nothing to do with removal of a cork) is a fee for ANY bottle of your personal wine (whole bottle or just a self poured glass) removed from the cabin.

Doing what you suggest (leave the bottle in the cabin and carry its content around in a glass) is a violation of most cruise lines’ alcohol policy.

Agree. 

Disagree. You are allowed to carry a glass of wine around with you and take into the dining venues or bars that you poured from the bottle you brought onboard. Doing this isn't a violation with Celebrity.

Edited by doghog
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

My understanding is you can consume it in your stateroom and anywhere on the ship with the exception of bars and dining venues, which would then subject you to the corkage fee.

Your stateroom is not the only area you can consume brought on board wine in our experience, unless this is a very recent change.  Not sure how they can monitor or enforce passengers with a glass of wine in their hands that could just as easily have come from any venue.  As mentioned previously, although not big wine drinkers, we have done this in the past - including taking a glass of wine to dinner with no issues.  

And to your other point there is no corkage fee just for bringing it on board - only if it is opened, served, or stored in one of the bars or dining venues.

Agree. 

1 minute ago, doghog said:

Agree. 

Disagree. You are allowed to carry a glass of wine around with you that you poured from the bottle you brought onboard. Doing this isn't a violation with Celebrity.

I always get 2 fairly pricey bottles  of red cab in my cabin on embarkation day along with a card and those bottles are taken to dinner. The 1 bottle I bring onboard I drink in the cabin or take a glass to lunch. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Doesn't matter. Acceptable in a wine glass.

On 10/23/2023 at 3:10 PM, Woody14 said:

It's not. 

11 minutes ago, doghog said:

Doesn't matter. Acceptable in a wine glass.

It's possible that the poster you were addressing is expressing concerns or experiences on some of the smaller lines on which they typically cruise?  I don't know.  But I do know the policies both with carrying the wine on board and with then consuming it on board with Celebrity, which is the line of concern with the OP and his post. 

And as pointed out several times by you, me, and others, there is no corkage fee assessed for bringing it on board or consuming it on board outside of bars and dining venues, where if you bring the bottle, they can assess the fee.  And on our number of cruises with Celebrity, consuming it anywhere else in a glass is fine - and in our past experience that has included the dining venues. 

• Like 1