New Princess charges

On 12/15/2023 at 9:25 AM, getting older slowly said:

just a general comment on pricess extra charges, we were talking about how everything has gone up..

then to put it in prospective standard fare 7years ago. for a suite (melbourne- NZ return )

was around 10k to 11k for 2   and on boards cost about 1.3k

last trip a week ago around 8.5k for standard fare and on board costs 1.8k ( we didnt hold back )

so the overall cost it now less...    haing said that price for late 2024 (melbourne- NZ return )is 10.1k

Re room serve  when in Club Class (reserve collection now ) just ask wait staff for a to go cheese plater and carry it back to cabin  ( no cost and best cheese plater on ship )

so price go up, less is included, evyerybody is trying to make a quid

Cheers Don  with coffee

Don make your own cheese platter up from the lunch buffet for pre dinner balcony snacks.  What I did.

• Like 1

On 12/15/2023 at 1:57 PM, joejoe 59 said:

We have the old plus package booked prior to December 2022. I can now see in our onboard credit total that it has had $50 added to it, which is obviously to activate our  medallions. I'm thinking we shouldn't have any issues unlike others have 🤞

You can use your medallions for no charge. The charge will only apply if you order food/drinks from your phone.

I didn't detail from our affected cruise. We received $50 OBC for having our booking conditions altered. We chose not to dine at Alfredo’s and we chose not to use the medallion app to order, as we felt there was no value in activating on a short cruise. We spent the $50 on a Stanley bear for our upcoming grandcruiser instead.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NSWP said:

Don make your own cheese platter up from the lunch buffet for pre dinner balcony snacks.  What I did.

We usually ate in the MDR, but if collecting water supplies or whatever from buffet after dinner, and checking what was on offer there, we were very, very impressed with the cheese selection - much, much better than if you ordered cheese instead of a dessert in the MDR 🧀  We keep saying that we'll go up there just for cheese after dinner some time but the MDR dessert selection usually gets the better of me 🎂 😋

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, NSWP said:

Good thought Les, but being after the DeepClean due to Gastro.... the buffet was a no-go area for us.... and have found the buffet / IC idea of a cheese  is not the same as Reserved colloction Dining

But .. in a few hours heading on board to the land of   

THE CHEESE TROLLEY  in the princess grills on cunard

finshed packing and driver will be here in under two hours

Cheers Don with Tea

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

Good thought Les, but being after the DeepClean due to Gastro.... the buffet was a no-go area for us.... and have found the buffet / IC idea of a cheese  is not the same as Reserved colloction Dining

Cheers Don with Tea

Bon Voyage Don, stay well.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

Cheers Don with Tea

I want to hear all about it! We're doing Princess Grills on Cunard next month.

15 hours ago, arxcards said:

You can use your medallions for no charge. The charge will only apply if you order food/drinks from your phone.

I didn't detail from our affected cruise. We received $50 OBC for having our booking conditions altered. We chose not to dine at Alfredo’s and we chose not to use the medallion app to order, as we felt there was no value in activating on a short cruise. We spent the $50 on a Stanley bear for our upcoming grandcruiser instead.

Yes I knew I could use it to get into my room & on & off the ship. 

A Stanley bear for your  grand baby sounds like a good way to spend your obc

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Zetta83 said:

Btw, there is no more lobster on second formal. It is replaced with a very dry mashed prawn dumpling.

Agree, definitely a stretch to call this dish 'Surf and Turf'.  Surely they could have afforded a couple of prawns to sit on top.

We're actually overall disappointed with the new menus this cruise.  But we haven't gone hungry - just not enjoying the dining experience to the same extent that we used to on Princess.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tripmode33 said:

Agree, definitely a stretch to call this dish 'Surf and Turf'.  Surely they could have afforded a couple of prawns to sit on top.

We're actually overall disappointed with the new menus this cruise.  But we haven't gone hungry - just not enjoying the dining experience to the same extent that we used to on Princess.

I do not understand why people go ga gaga over Lobster. Very overrated.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, icat2000 said:

I do not understand why people go ga gaga over Lobster. Very overrated.

Agree I bought a small one from Woollies last week, $24, thawed but had been frozen. God only knows where it originated from.  Anyway  it was super tough.

On 12/20/2023 at 6:27 PM, Zetta83 said:

Btw, there is no more lobster on second formal. It is replaced with a very dry mashed prawn dumpling.

Cut backs and more cut backs. It will be BYO Lobster soon.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Zetta83 said:

I would say the lobsters from The Catch were great, would be lovely to compare, but alas.

My Mrs loves the Crown Grill Lobster as well. I guess that is the plan - if you want lobster, it is on the MDR menu as a pay extra dish, or it is in the specialty restaurants.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, arxcards said:

My Mrs loves the Crown Grill Lobster as well. I guess that is the plan - if you want lobster, it is on the MDR menu as a pay extra dish, or it is in the specialty restaurants.

Do note, I have been told the no lobster situation is only for Aus sailing thus far, i.e. the 4 ships here. All other ships are still doing it.

3 hours ago, Zetta83 said:

Do note, I have been told the no lobster situation is only for Aus sailing thus far, i.e. the 4 ships here. All other ships are still doing it.

With even Aldi promoting $100/kg lobsters, the price in Maine is less than half of that. That goes a fair way to why you will pay extra for lobster tails on their Aus based ships. At least the option is there.

19 minutes ago, arxcards said:

With even Aldi promoting $100/kg lobsters, the price in Maine is less than half of that. That goes a fair way to why you will pay extra for lobster tails on their Aus based ships. At least the option is there.

The question would be, if Carnival, Royal and others are still doing it, why not Princess? And you maybe right, it is to do with cost cutting. Otherwise, they would at the very least replace it with large prawns or equivalent and not two dices of prawn sausages.

Just now, Zetta83 said:

The question would be, if Carnival, Royal and others are still doing it, why not Princess? And you maybe right, it is to do with cost cutting. Otherwise, they would at the very least replace it with large prawns or equivalent and not two dices of prawn sausages.

They each have their own way of balancing their books. Royal charge over $100 to eat at Wonderland, Chops Grill, Jamie's etc. Crowns Grill, Sabatini's, Catch are in the $60's, so they are just going about managing costs in a different way.

1 minute ago, arxcards said:

They each have their own way of balancing their books. Royal charge over $100 to eat at Wonderland, Chops Grill, Jamie's etc. Crowns Grill, Sabatini's, Catch are in the $60's, so they are just going about managing costs in a different way.

I think that cost for maintaining Specialties would be another topic. But my main objective is to sound out for those looking forward to MDR lobster, paying is the only option. It rubbed me the wrong way as the menus on app stated they were still there on the day itself, only to be proven wrong. The app otherwise have been a useful guide.

15 hours ago, Zetta83 said:

I think that cost for maintaining Specialties would be another topic. But my main objective is to sound out for those looking forward to MDR lobster, paying is the only option. It rubbed me the wrong way as the menus on app stated they were still there on the day itself, only to be proven wrong. The app otherwise have been a useful guide.

Yes, changes suck. Object constructively with the head waiter, maître d' , front desk, and on passenger survey.

14 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Yes, changes suck. Object constructively with the head waiter, maître d' , front desk, and on passenger survey.

I have, the managers also felt disappointed and commented that I wasn't the first to voice my concerns. I reassured them that the service was still excellent. I have completed the survey and distinguished service vs food vs supply of expected food.

• Like 2

On 12/22/2023 at 8:25 PM, Zetta83 said:

Prawn sausages?