Large ship premium or small ship basic?

darkarbiter

Well, I am thinking to get a journey from Oceania to Europe, i hold two options: some small ship cruise basic cabin like rssc or crystal or big ship cruise like cunard premium cabin. With the nearly same level money, which is better? (ports of call are nearly identical. )

Your post is a bit unclear. At first I thought you meant to consider Oceania (the cruise line) but on second reading I think you're looking at cruising from Australia to Europe -- correct?

I'm the sort who would always go for the "smaller house in a better neighborhood", e.g., a basic cabin on a more upscale line. I have no familiarity with either line mentioned except for knowing that Crystal is just re-starting operations, which might make me a bit more cautious of booking with them if your travel is soon.

I've talked to a few Cunard passengers recently who were unhappy with recent Cunard trips (including one who was on their world cruise). If you are going to be in one of the Grills, food is supposed to be very good, not sure if it is the equal of some of the smaller luxury lines though. Cunard does have good enrichment and activities generally, but Crystal (previously) was also known for this.

I would suggest following the specific discussion forums here for the lines you're considering to get a better idea of what current passengers think. I find the casual "reviews" that are given in forum posts are usually much more useful than the published ones in the review section, as the passenger(s) writing the reviews tend to be more knowledgeable about the line and have more well-thought-out critiques.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, darkarbiter said:

Well, I am thinking to get a journey from Oceania to Europe, i hold two options: some small ship cruise basic cabin like rssc or crystal or big ship cruise like cunard premium cabin. With the nearly same level money, which is better? (ports of call are nearly identical. )

The only true way to determine what is best for you is to research the options. Unfortunately, there is no quick answer, since "Best" is highly subjective and is entirely based on your needs and expectations.

However, I will ask, "Why would you want a large cabin on a cruise ship". Are you planning to spend most of the time in your cabin?

Personally, I consider the cabin as little more than the bedroom, and the pax spaces as the living areas. I survived 4-months with 3 people in about 70 sq feet with a single porthole, so find basic inside or balcony cabins quite spacious.

Had a complimentary 1,300 sq feet suite for the final 3-weeks of our last World Cruise and it was wasted space. More room, but not any more comfortable than our original 270 sq foot cabin.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I would suggest following the specific discussion forums here for the lines you're considering to get a better idea of what current passengers think.

Agree that the "boards" on Cruise Critic are very helpful, not only for the LIVE reports but simply for assessing the "culture" of individual lines. Are people talking about contests, kareoke, or classical music? And so on. Obviously, some people like each of the lines!

Here is a recent article, but again, their criteria may not be yours. They mixed Mainstream and Luxury lines in their rating. Maybe just reading the descriptions and feedback might be helpful.

Cruise Lines Ranked From Worst to Best | Far & Wide (farandwide.com)

3 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Here is a recent article, but again, their criteria may not be yours. They mixed Mainstream and Luxury lines in their rating. Maybe just reading the descriptions and feedback might be helpful.

Cruise Lines Ranked From Worst to Best | Far & Wide (farandwide.com)

The article was for @darkarbiter, not @cruisemom42. Darkarbiter, welcome back to posting on Cruise Critic! 

15 hours ago, darkarbiter said:

@darkarbiter

Welcome back to the Cruise Critic message boards!

suggest you use the Follow feature on any new topics/threads you start or any other topics/threads where you are interested in the new replies. That way you will not have to go looking to see if there are new posts because they will come looking for you as notifications. If you need information on how to do it, please click here: How to: Follow Topics & Forums (Subscribed Threads/Forums Info)

Glad to have you back aboard Cruise Critic!

Happy sails,

Host Kat

• Like 1

On 10/27/2023 at 6:03 AM, darkarbiter said:

Well, I am thinking to get a journey from Oceania to Europe,I hold two options: some small ship cruise basic cabin like rssc or crystal or big ship cruise like cunard premium cabin. With the nearly same level money, which is better?

Looking over recent posting, I thought of one additional factor -- larger ships in general are more stable (less seasick-prone) on the open seas. Which I think you'll be seeing some of between the south Pacific and Europe!

On 10/27/2023 at 8:03 AM, darkarbiter said:

Having sailed Cunard a number of times (both Brittania and Grills) and Oceania, Seaborne and Azamera, I prefer the smaller ship’s basic experience over premium on a large ship (even Cunard - which I find distinctly superior to Celebrity, Princess, Royal Caribbean and HAL)  and far superior to Carnival and NCL — while the premium on a large ship is generally far more expensive than basic on a small ship.

4 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Looking over recent posting, I thought of one additional factor -- larger ships in general are more stable (less seasick-prone) on the open seas. Which I think you'll be seeing some of between the south Pacific and Europe!

Unfortunately, that is a myth. The size of a ship has very little to do with her sea-keeping abilities, the design and scantlings have significantly more impact.

The ocean liners I worked on - SS Oriana & SS Canberra are much smaller than any of today's large ships and both those ships could handle seas way better than probably every current cruise ship except QM2. Even the original Island/Pacific/Sun Princess, which were even smaller, handled sea better than most modern ships.

• Thanks 4

On 10/27/2023 at 6:02 PM, Heidi13 said:

However, I will ask, "Why would you want a large cabin on a cruise ship". Are you planning to spend most of the time in your cabin?

Wasn't the question big or small ship, not large or small cabin?

A more expensive cabin on a big ship doesn't necessary mean that the cabin is much bigger. I'm thinking Yacht Club or Haven compared to "standard balcony", the size of the cabin is almost the same.

4 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

Wasn't the question big or small ship, not large or small cabin?

A more expensive cabin on a big ship doesn't necessary mean that the cabin is much bigger. I'm thinking Yacht Club or Haven compared to "standard balcony", the size of the cabin is almost the same.

If you read the original post the question is a small cabin on a premium/luxury ship, or a premium cabin (suite) on Cunard. With Cunard, the more expensive cabins are generally larger.

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

If you read the original post the question is a small cabin on a premium/luxury ship, or a premium cabin (suite) on Cunard. With Cunard, the more expensive cabins are generally larger.

The question is small ship basic cabin or big ship premium cabin. The premium cabin might be bigger but the question was not about cabin size.

I think that most people book the premium cabins for the other perks, for example better food, and not to get a bigger cabin. I know I do.

• 3 weeks later...

We routinely do all kinds/sizes of ships ranging from 450 passenger luxury vessels to the large 3000+ mega ships.  Every ship has its pros/cons.  If you want a larger choice of things to do, during the lazy seadays, than you might want to opt for a larger ship that offers a large array of activities (i,e, Queen Mary 2).  If you are happy to do your own thing or just playing Bridge or more basic things, than you might prefer a small ship that has very personalized service and luxury quality.  There is also the issue of cuisine, and there are many differences between the various lines/vessels.  

We agree with the posts that there is no one solution for all.  Tnis is all about your own preferences, wants, desires.  

As to the cabin/suite, that is another personal kind of thing.  DW and I have little use for a huge suite since we spend very little "waking time" in our cabin/suite.  We prefer to be out and about the ship, whether we are in a lounge or in a comfy deck chair.  Sitting in our cabin/suite is just not something we do.  But there are others who are happy to start their day with room service breakfast and spend most of the day in their suite.  For these folks, the extra cost of a large suite might be worth the price.  For us, it would be a terrible waste of money.  We do appreciate a nice suite bathroom, decent shower, and some sitting space.  But having 800+ square feet would be meaningless since most of that space would go unused.  

A few years ago, we were on a long (2 month) HAL cruise and became friendly with a couple who had the largest suite on the ship.  Like us, they spent every evening in the piano bar (from opening until close.  The reality was that although they had the largest most expensive suite on the ship, they were seldom in that suite except to sleep, get dressed, and use their bath.  They told us they booked those large suites, "because the money had little meaning" so, for them, it made sense.  They would invite us for cocktails, but we only visited them once since we preferred to be "out and about" where there was more socializing and live music.

Hank

The answer to that question is purely subjective but for me assuming that the itinerary is the same in almost every case any small ship is much much better than any monstrosities of the seas larger ships.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

We routinely do all kinds/sizes of ships ranging from 450 passenger luxury vessels to the large 3000+ mega ships.  Every ship has its pros/cons.  If you want a larger choice of things to do, during the lazy seadays, than you might want to opt for a larger ship that offers a large array of activities (i,e, Queen Mary 2).  If you are happy to do your own thing or just playing Bridge or more basic things, than you might prefer a small ship that has very personalized service and luxury quality.  There is also the issue of cuisine, and there are many differences between the various lines/vessels.  

We agree with the posts that there is no one solution for all.  Tnis is all about your own preferences, wants, desires.  

As to the cabin/suite, that is another personal kind of thing.  DW and I have little use for a huge suite since we spend very little "waking time" in our cabin/suite.  We prefer to be out and about the ship, whether we are in a lounge or in a comfy deck chair.  Sitting in our cabin/suite is just not something we do.  But there are others who are happy to start their day with room service breakfast and spend most of the day in their suite.  For these folks, the extra cost of a large suite might be worth the price.  For us, it would be a terrible waste of money.  We do appreciate a nice suite bathroom, decent shower, and some sitting space.  But having 800+ square feet would be meaningless since most of that space would go unused.  

A few years ago, we were on a long (2 month) HAL cruise and became friendly with a couple who had the largest suite on the ship.  Like us, they spent every evening in the piano bar (from opening until close.  The reality was that although they had the largest most expensive suite on the ship, they were seldom in that suite except to sleep, get dressed, and use their bath.  They told us they booked those large suites, "because the money had little meaning" so, for them, it made sense.  They would invite us for cocktails, but we only visited them once since we preferred to be "out and about" where there was more socializing and live music.

Hank

Suites are not only about the size of the cabin , many ships have suite restaurants and lounges , concierge and butler some include specialty restaurants, perks associated is a big factor for us . 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, George C said:

Suites are not only about the size of the cabin , many ships have suite restaurants and lounges , concierge and butler some include specialty restaurants, perks associated is a big factor for us . 

We are well aware.  Of all the cruise lines we have sailed (17 to date) the best food (by far) has been on the new Explora 1 (Explora Journeys Cruise Lines).  That ship does not even have a MDR, but relies on 4 distinct restaurants (2 of which require reservations), another tiny venue that features food by a Michelin 2 or 3* Chef) and a Lido buffet which has an interesting assortment of food such as their raw seafood bar which might feature oysters on the half shell, cracked crab claws, giant shrimp, mussels, etc.  There is also a fresh sushi station and a grill where you can choose from things like salmon, 2 types of lobster, etc.

As to "suite restaurants" we have generally been underwhelmed.  Some would argue that the "Grills" on Cunard are top notch, but others would disagree.  MSCs Yacht Club has a dedicated restaurant, but the quality and prep of the cuisine is far from what one would expect in a decent land-based venue.  

I do think that over the years, the general quality of cruise food has gradually deteriorated to a level that most would not consider for a land-based meal where they had to pay real money.  What some now call the "suite restaurants" are barely at the level we used to expect on a normal cruise ship back in the 70s and early 80s.  We are very curious about the new Ritz Carlton ship, but have yet to talk with anyone who has actually been on that line.  We did recently meet a lady who is an owner on the World, where she claims the restaurant cuisine rivals shoreside venues.

Hank

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

We are well aware.  Of all the cruise lines we have sailed (17 to date) the best food (by far) has been on the new Explora 1 (Explora Journeys Cruise Lines).  That ship does not even have a MDR, but relies on 4 distinct restaurants (2 of which require reservations), another tiny venue that features food by a Michelin 2 or 3* Chef) and a Lido buffet which has an interesting assortment of food such as their raw seafood bar which might feature oysters on the half shell, cracked crab claws, giant shrimp, mussels, etc.  There is also a fresh sushi station and a grill where you can choose from things like salmon, 2 types of lobster, etc.

As to "suite restaurants" we have generally been underwhelmed.  Some would argue that the "Grills" on Cunard are top notch, but others would disagree.  MSCs Yacht Club has a dedicated restaurant, but the quality and prep of the cuisine is far from what one would expect in a decent land-based venue.  

I do think that over the years, the general quality of cruise food has gradually deteriorated to a level that most would not consider for a land-based meal where they had to pay real money.  What some now call the "suite restaurants" are barely at the level we used to expect on a normal cruise ship back in the 70s and early 80s.  We are very curious about the new Ritz Carlton ship, but have yet to talk with anyone who has actually been on that line.  We did recently meet a lady who is an owner on the World, where she claims the restaurant cuisine rivals shoreside venues.

Hank

Even though we are in a suite next week on rccl and I do like the service for breakfast and lunch in suite restaurant, we bought the specialty restaurant package so we can eat all dinners and some lunch’s there . We have only sailed the major lines , food on Celebrity suite restaurant was way above average until recently.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2023 at 1:03 PM, darkarbiter said:

i hold two options: some small ship cruise basic cabin like rssc or crystal or big ship cruise like cunard premium cabin.

I am a little surprised that, although others have mentioned cabin sizes, entertainment and dining, nobody has yet mentioned the amount of walking required on a bigger ship V the amount needed on a smaller ship.

We have always had a preference for smaller ships and have appreciated how short the journey is from stateroom to whichever dining or entertainment we are heading to, even to/from  the gangway on port days, and have rarely had to use an elevator. And the number of decks makes a difference too, with lower decks being generally more stable in rockier seas than staterooms on decks much higher up,and the bigger the ship the more staterooms will be found on higher decks.