Selbourne ‘Live’ from Ventura

Selbourne

35 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

A couple of shots from Arrecife in Lanzarote today. I think that I should be commended for being able to produce as many as 2 half decent photos from such an unattractive place 😂 

IMG_0894.jpeg

IMG_0895.jpeg

Definitely an achievement. Hate Arrecife. I'm going to the Canaries on Iona next Saturday and I think I've booked a transfer to some beach or other in Lanzarote, having already done Mountain of Fire twice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TigerB said:

The so called chunky chips they promise in the MDRs are rarely that!

What you get in Epicurean though, now that is a chunky chip.

We actually prefer the toast to go cold before buttering it. With thick bread though, that's a different story, but something we would never order on a ship or anywhere else where it takes more than twenty seconds to get from the kitchen to your table. For us, a toasted doorstep has to be buttered, with proper butter mind, as soon as it comes out of the toaster, and eaten straightaway.😋

Absolutely right, no other way to eat a ‘doorstop’!

• Like 1

Day 9 - Sunday 5th November (Lanzarote - up until departure from port)

When we went to bed the night before the creaking and knocking in the cabin ceiling had unfortunately started again (the sea was a little less kind than the captain had predicted) and we were fearful that we were in for another disturbed night (in spite of me wedging a few more rolled up bits of paper under the coving of the worst areas 😂), but thankfully it must have stopped soon after as each time I woke briefly during the night all was quiet. I had my usual early morning wake up call at 7am with the stewards bumping their servicing trolleys over the threshold from the crew area directly opposite our cabin, but I can live with that as at least I don’t need to set an alarm to ensure that we don’t miss breakfast! 

We have a sea view on our side of the ship today which, having done a circuit of deck 16 after breakfast, is a relief. This is the first port of the trip where the entire view of the island is unattractive in all directions. The only reasonably attractive thing visible from here is Sky Princess in a nearby berth!

When we returned to our cabin, the friendly deck manager who we’d met earlier in the cruise called in to see if we’d had any more issues with the ceiling noise. I gave him an update and said that we were sleeping OK now, but weren’t looking forward to the return run to Southampton if it was going to be anywhere near as rough (and noisy) as it had been on the outward leg. He said that if we had any more issues to call reception and they would get some maintenance staff to see if they could do anything. He kindly offered us a complimentary meal or bottle of wine but I said that was unnecessary. He seemed insistent, so I said that a bottle of the cheapest Australian red for our last night visit to Epicurean (already booked and paid for) would be much appreciated. I didn’t want to take advantage as, in all fairness, he has handled a situation that he can probably do nothing about with great sensitivity. 

There is a shuttle into Arrecife from this outlying commercial area. I’m not surprised as I can’t even see the town. Others who have been here say that it is the least attractive port in the Canary Islands itineraries and everything is closed on a Sunday! My wife decided to stay on the ship, which was just as well as there was an announcement saying that there were delays of at least 35 minutes with the accessible shuttle, so I went on my own on the normal shuttle bus.  

The shuttle takes you to a marina, prior to the town. On the one hand I can see why (as it’s quite attractive) but other than lots of yachts there are just some small shops, and restaurants. I asked the chap in the tourist information booth where the town centre was and he told me that it was a further 15 minute walk beyond where the shuttle had dropped off 🙄. I decided to see what the town was like and it was pretty naff. The usual shops and bars (most of which were actually open, in spite of it being Sunday) were present, but the town is unattractive with very little to commend it. 

When we did our last Canaries cruise (over 15 years ago, when the kids were younger) we booked tours in every port and I would strongly advise others to do the same if you want to see the best of these islands. Madeira aside, the ports visited have not had the charm or appeal of, for example, those in the Mediterranean. As we generally no longer do tours and we don’t sunbathe, I don’t think that we will be rushing back to the Canaries. We have still enjoyed the cruise and, in particular, Ventura, but we can think of plenty of places that we prefer cruising to from the UK. I think I can see why Canaries cruises are always the cheapest on a per night basis!

When I returned to the ship I told my wife that she had done the right thing staying onboard and that she hadn’t missed much! We went to the MDR for lunch and offered to share a table, but they asked us to take a table for 2 as flow of passengers arriving in the MDR was very slow. I didn’t particularly fancy anything on the menu but in reality I enjoyed what I chose. 

We stopped by the library after lunch as my wife wanted to see if any decent books had been returned. She found one of interest. Whilst we were in there we sat down with enormous Phillips Atlas and studied the detailed route of our 65 night cruise to the Caribbean and Americas. Some of the places that we are going look tiny and were quite difficult to find! The Britain Today paper has returned after a few days absence. 

Later we went to Tazzine for a coffee and to people watch in a more comfortable chair than our cabin sofa. 

As we have a sea day tomorrow, I am posting this update just prior to departure, as I won’t have internet access until Tuesday in Cadiz. We will be dining in the MDR tonight (the menu doesn’t particularly appeal for once) and the theatre show tonight is the Eric and Ern tribute that you normally have to pay extra to see in the Limelight Club on the newer ships. I didn’t find Morecombe & Wise particularly funny back in their heyday, but maybe we will give this a go as we haven’t seen these guys before. Tomorrow we have our Caribbean loyalty lunch which we really enjoyed on Britannia. I shall report on all of this in my next update on Tuesday. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

I think  Gran Canaria and La Gomera pleasant to visit, but Tenerife, Lanzarote and Fuerteventura not of any interest at all though as we know lots of Brits love to go there, especially in winter.  I can understand that, not too long a flight for some sunshine.  Slight rider - things by Manrique are worth visits, the cactus garden and particularly the cave complex in Lanzarote.  Otherwise, the countryside is a bit like I imagine it might be  on the moon.  Compare and contrast with Greek islands for instance.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TigerB said:

@Selbourne, as my meeting last night wasn't with the Food and Beverage Manager, I didn't get to the bottom of Preservegate.

At breakfast though today though there was no jam or marmalade on any of the tables surrounding us. Either the brass had read your thread, or they are running out.

Incidentally, how on earth do you manage to run out of grapefruit juice just six days into a fourteen day cruise?🙄

There can't be too many on your cruise with high blood pressure then, as for some reason if you are on medication for that (like myself) then you are warned to avoid grapefruit. Fortunately I prefer other fruit juices anyway.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, jh1809 said:

There can't be too many on your cruise with high blood pressure then, as for some reason if you are on medication for that (like myself) then you are warned to avoid grapefruit. Fortunately I prefer other fruit juices anyway.

I've been on meds for blood pressure for 15 years, never been warned about grapefruit.  On the other hand just begun on statins and, from the initial consultation, through the pharmacy and the leaflet in the packet are multiple warnings about grapefruit.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, FangedRose said:

I've been on meds for blood pressure for 15 years, never been warned about grapefruit.  On the other hand just begun on statins and, from the initial consultation, through the pharmacy and the leaflet in the packet are multiple warnings about grapefruit.

You may be on a different blood pressure medication to me then, as the amlopodine that I'm on - which I think is one of the commonest - warns against grapefruit in its leaflet. Unless I've somehow imagined it and have been denying myself grapefruit unnecessarily! Perhaps I should check again. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, jh1809 said:

You may be on a different blood pressure medication to me then, as the amlopodine that I'm on - which I think is one of the commonest - warns against grapefruit in its leaflet. Unless I've somehow imagined it and have been denying myself grapefruit unnecessarily! Perhaps I should check again. 

Yeah, that's different from mine.

2 minutes ago, jh1809 said:

I also take amlodipine and, although I have not checked  recently, I remember being advised not to eat grapefruit or it's juice.

4 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I also take amlodipine and, although I have not checked  recently, I remember being advised not to eat grapefruit or it's juice.

Same goes for avoiding cocktails made with a little grapefruit juice. My hubby has to study drinks menus before  ordering a cocktail... he likes a change now and then from Silk and Spice 😆 

15 minutes ago, jh1809 said:

No, you’re absolutely right about Amlodipine and grapefruit, luckily like some others on here I do not like grapefruit anyway.

5 hours ago, Selbourne said:

And here’s tonights dinner one. Unusually for me, none of the mains appeal. I’ve had a bit too much beef this cruise. 

IMG_0893.jpeg

Ours tonight was almost the same as yours...

IMG_20231105_1804218872.thumb.jpg.47a1519d9c497a297865b2291f1b9b0d.jpg

IMG_20231105_180427834.thumb.jpg.ab7748d479eba12ff4a53459e1fcf401.jpg

IMG_20231105_1804340742.thumb.jpg.a8802c8b2bb43128be5c3de6184de453.jpg

On the recommended menu though, we didn't have those posh sounding 'chunky chios'; just regular boiled taties...

IMG_20231105_1804404832.thumb.jpg.5f13e39367c1bc315b4d44c2e7da43e6.jpg

IMG_20231105_180447104.thumb.jpg.dbef254be0f45c52831fa9cedb160b56.jpg

And, of course, only half the choice of after dinner digestifs. Is that because there are more rich old folk on Ventura? 🫢

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Selbourne said:

I try to avoid having chips too often on cruises, but I’ve noticed that every single time that they appear on the menu in the MDRs or specialty restaurants on Ventura they are always ‘chunky’ ones. Wouldn’t mind some normal sized ones or, dare I say, French Fries on occasion!

On the subject of food oddities, can I mention toast? 😂 We always ask for mixed toast, as my wife likes white bread and I like brown. Is it just me, but I cannot discern one from the other. They all look identical. Also, somebody on a nearby table today ordered “thick toast”, given that the standard toast is so thin it is bone dry and retains no warmth. I did that once years ago when someone mentioned it on here, but never again. As with today, what arrived was so ridiculously thick I could almost not fit in my mouth 😂 

The brown toast looks white but has litle flecks of brown in it, but you might need a magnifying glass to see them.

The thick toast is too thick, the normal toast is too thin. P&O should just get a better slicing machine. 

The chunky chips on Iona were excellent, on Arcadia they were rubbish. I will see what they are like on Britannia next. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Selbourne said:

When we went to bed the night before the creaking and knocking in the cabin ceiling had unfortunately started again (the sea was a little less kind than the captain had predicted) and we were fearful that we were in for another disturbed night (in spite of me wedging a few more rolled up bits of paper under the coving of the worst areas 😂), but thankfully it must have stopped soon after as each time I woke briefly during the night all was quiet. I had my usual early morning wake up call at 7am with the stewards bumping their servicing trolleys over the threshold from the crew area directly opposite our cabin, but I can live with that as at least I don’t need to set an alarm to ensure that we don’t miss breakfast! 

We have a sea view on our side of the ship today which, having done a circuit of deck 16 after breakfast, is a relief. This is the first port of the trip where the entire view of the island is unattractive in all directions. The only reasonably attractive thing visible from here is Sky Princess in a nearby berth!

When we returned to our cabin, the friendly deck manager who we’d met earlier in the cruise called in to see if we’d had any more issues with the ceiling noise. I gave him an update and said that we were sleeping OK now, but weren’t looking forward to the return run to Southampton if it was going to be anywhere near as rough (and noisy) as it had been on the outward leg. He said that if we had any more issues to call reception and they would get some maintenance staff to see if they could do anything. He kindly offered us a complimentary meal or bottle of wine but I said that was unnecessary. He seemed insistent, so I said that a bottle of the cheapest Australian red for our last night visit to Epicurean (already booked and paid for) would be much appreciated. I didn’t want to take advantage as, in all fairness, he has handled a situation that he can probably do nothing about with great sensitivity. 

There is a shuttle into Arrecife from this outlying commercial area. I’m not surprised as I can’t even see the town. Others who have been here say that it is the least attractive port in the Canary Islands itineraries and everything is closed on a Sunday! My wife decided to stay on the ship, which was just as well as there was an announcement saying that there were delays of at least 35 minutes with the accessible shuttle, so I went on my own on the normal shuttle bus.  

The shuttle takes you to a marina, prior to the town. On the one hand I can see why (as it’s quite attractive) but other than lots of yachts there are just some small shops, and restaurants. I asked the chap in the tourist information booth where the town centre was and he told me that it was a further 15 minute walk beyond where the shuttle had dropped off 🙄. I decided to see what the town was like and it was pretty naff. The usual shops and bars (most of which were actually open, in spite of it being Sunday) were present, but the town is unattractive with very little to commend it. 

When we did our last Canaries cruise (over 15 years ago, when the kids were younger) we booked tours in every port and I would strongly advise others to do the same if you want to see the best of these islands. Madeira aside, the ports visited have not had the charm or appeal of, for example, those in the Mediterranean. As we generally no longer do tours and we don’t sunbathe, I don’t think that we will be rushing back to the Canaries. We have still enjoyed the cruise and, in particular, Ventura, but we can think of plenty of places that we prefer cruising to from the UK. I think I can see why Canaries cruises are always the cheapest on a per night basis!

When I returned to the ship I told my wife that she had done the right thing staying onboard and that she hadn’t missed much! We went to the MDR for lunch and offered to share a table, but they asked us to take a table for 2 as flow of passengers arriving in the MDR was very slow. I didn’t particularly fancy anything on the menu but in reality I enjoyed what I chose. 

We stopped by the library after lunch as my wife wanted to see if any decent books had been returned. She found one of interest. Whilst we were in there we sat down with enormous Phillips Atlas and studied the detailed route of our 65 night cruise to the Caribbean and Americas. Some of the places that we are going look tiny and were quite difficult to find! The Britain Today paper has returned after a few days absence. 

Later we went to Tazzine for a coffee and to people watch in a more comfortable chair than our cabin sofa. 

As we have a sea day tomorrow, I am posting this update just prior to departure, as I won’t have internet access until Tuesday in Cadiz. We will be dining in the MDR tonight (the menu doesn’t particularly appeal for once) and the theatre show tonight is the Eric and Ern tribute that you normally have to pay extra to see in the Limelight Club on the newer ships. I didn’t find Morecombe & Wise particularly funny back in their heyday, but maybe we will give this a go as we haven’t seen these guys before. Tomorrow we have our Caribbean loyalty lunch which we really enjoyed on Britannia. I shall report on all of this in my next update on Tuesday. 

Just relating to the Eric and Ern tribute show , we saw them in our local theatre in the round and they were very funny ,we then saw them on our 65 night cruise and it was toe curling bad, the difference? In the local theatre they had all the sets and props, the kitchen sketch etc , on the ship they just did a stand up routine with jokes that were past their sell by date.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Interesting information, thanks. We dock in Lanzarote for the first time next February. It will be on a Saturday for us though.

At least, on the way back home we will have an overnight stay in Lisbon.

Yes I changed my blood pressure tablets to the ones your supposed not to ear grapefruit .Trouble is I love grapefruit segments while onboard .What affect dies it give I have no idea must ask the doctor or does anybody know the answer need to know breakfast 12 hrs away 

3 minutes ago, Bin man said:

Yes I changed my blood pressure tablets to the ones your supposed not to ear grapefruit .Trouble is I love grapefruit segments while onboard .What affect dies it give I have no idea must ask the doctor or does anybody know the answer need to know breakfast 12 hrs away 

I think the combination may reduce the effectiveness of the medication in some people but this is just my memory from what I have read. Not good for those of us who like grapefruit and grapefruit juice. ☹️

6 hours ago, Selbourne said:

I’m conscious that I’ve only been posting dinner menus. Here’s a lunch one. Looks as though they have dispensed with that daft ‘sharing plates’ (that weren’t big enough to share anyway) idea.

IMG_0897.jpeg

Think I would prefer buffet lunch or Quays lunch on the bigger ships to MDR lunch judging by that menu

18 minutes ago, Bin man said:

Screenshot_20231105_205148.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Selbourne said:

I hope you enjoy Eric and Ernie

We did in Limelight