one person can't travel

sunsetme

Are you asking what will happen to you or your cabin mate?

With no insurance, this will be a costly cancellation.

The party cancelling will lose 50% and the one traveling solo will have to fork over a solo supplement.  

I believe you can cancel the beverage package before sailing.  Solo cruiser will not have an added (beverage) supplement due to only one in cabin is package.  

Is there anyone else available to add to the cruise to avoid the solo supplement charge?

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

The party cancelling will lose 50% and the one traveling solo will have to fork over a solo supplement.  

I never thought about the single supplement, that is very helpful! Doesn't pay to go solo, I guess I will just be the nurse at home.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sunsetme said:

I never thought about the single supplement, that is very helpful! Doesn't pay to go solo, I guess I will just be the nurse at home.

So sorry you have to cancel.  I had an ankle injury a week before last cruise, thankfully I was able to go.  We have heard so many stories of last minute sickness/cancelations that we always buy insurance now.  Hope you can figure out a way to go.

I would like to get a better understanding of how cancellation of one person works. 

My sister and her daughter booked a cabin together and will buy non-Princess insurance together.  They will make their final payment in about a week.  My niece’s boss said she will not be able to approve my niece’s vacation until 2 weeks before the cruise starts. So, 2 weeks before the cruise started, my niece ended up not being able to go, but my sister still wants to go. Since my niece not going is not a medical reason, for sure she will not get reimbursed by the insurance company.

I do know my niece will lose all her payment.  Now that my sister will be solo in her cabin, will she have to pay additional money for being solo in the cabin?  Or, since my niece loses all her payment, my sister will not need to pay additional for being solo in her cabin?  After all, the total price of the cabin by 2 persons have been paid for.

Thank you.

40 minutes ago, chubbypiggy said:

I would like to get a better understanding of how cancellation of one person works. 

My sister and her daughter booked a cabin together and will buy non-Princess insurance together.  They will make their final payment in about a week.  My niece’s boss said she will not be able to approve my niece’s vacation until 2 weeks before the cruise starts. So, 2 weeks before the cruise started, my niece ended up not being able to go, but my sister still wants to go. Since my niece not going is not a medical reason, for sure she will not get reimbursed by the insurance company.

I do know my niece will lose all her payment.  Now that my sister will be solo in her cabin, will she have to pay additional money for being solo in the cabin?  Or, since my niece loses all her payment, my sister will not need to pay additional for being solo in her cabin?  After all, the total price of the cabin by 2 persons have been paid for.

Thank you.

Your niece should go on the cruise and get a new job. I employ lots of people. It is a job. It isn’t slavery. Her boss sounds like a tool. 

• Like 5

@chubbypiggy Your sister needs to review "her independent" travel insurance terms of agreement.  If she had purchased Princess Vacation Protection, your niece would have received FCC (cancel for any reason at 75% or 100%) and your sister would be allowed to cruise without a solo supplement.

Policies vary with insurance copies.  Hopefully, they had a good one that would include cancelling for employment or any other reason.

I am not quite clear?  Is your sister pre/post final payment?

@New2cruise2022 Name changes can be down through Princess and/or travel consultant for a fee.  Way back when....it was $50 after final payment.  No charge before.

Edited by cr8tiv1

1 minute ago, cr8tiv1 said:

@chubbypiggy Your sister needs to review "her independent" travel insurance terms of agreement.  If she had purchased Princess Vacation Protection, your niece would have received FCC (cancel for any reason at 75% or 100%) and your sister would be allowed to cruise without a solo supplement.

Policies vary with insurance copies.  Hopefully, they had a good one that would include cancelling for employment or any other reason.

Thank you for your reply.  They plan to purchase non-Princess insurance.  My sister said she is okay with losing all of my niece's full payment, because after all, she cancel her only 2 weeks before the cruise.  

What she mainly wants to know is:  besides not getting any money refunded for her daughter's cabin fare,  at the time of cancelation of my niece's cruise, will my sister have to pay additional money for now being solo in the cabin?  

1 minute ago, chubbypiggy said:

Thank you for your reply.  They plan to purchase non-Princess insurance.  My sister said she is okay with losing all of my niece's full payment, because after all, she cancel her only 2 weeks before the cruise.  

What she mainly wants to know is:  besides not getting any money refunded for her daughter's cabin fare,  at the time of cancelation of my niece's cruise, will my sister have to pay additional money for now being solo in the cabin?  

Why not just buy PVP?  I'm not trying to sell this.  Just easier.  There is a difference between regular and Platinum.  She will have to shop around to make sure she gets a non-Princess Insurance that has cancel for any reason.  If so, sister "should not" have to pay for supplement.  

Keep in mind, some independent insurance policies require purchase at time of booking (not at time of final payment). 

From what you are posting, am I understanding correctly:  Your sister is still outside of Final Payment (with hopefully a refundable deposit)?  AND niece has not been told by boss yes/no?  When is the cruise?

1 minute ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Why not just buy PVP?  I'm not trying to sell this.  Just easier.  There is a difference between regular and Platinum.  She will have to shop around to make sure she gets a non-Princess Insurance that has cancel for any reason.  If so, sister "should not" have to pay for supplement.  

Keep in mind, some independent insurance policies require purchase at time of booking (not at time of final payment). 

From what you are posting, am I understanding correctly:  Your sister is still outside of Final Payment (with hopefully a refundable deposit)?  AND niece has not been told by boss yes/no?  When is the cruise?

You are right, in her case, it is better to just buy Princess Platinum protection (they are both Platinum so will only need to pay 6% of cruise cost). 

Her final payment is mid-January, and cruise is mid-April.  Due to staff shortage, niece's boss said he will not be able to approve vacation until 2-3 weeks before cruise start.  

Next week I will call my CVP to pay full payment for my next cruise, at that time, I will ask him how this cancelation works if one doesn't want to buy the Princess Platinum Protection.  Majority of the time, I do not like to buy PVP, because most of my cruises are long cruises with many sea days.  PVP's Emergency Medical Evacuation coverage amount is too small.   

I have done over 15 cruises, and have never done solo until I "thought" it was going to happen with me this time. Fortunately I have someone that is going after all which makes me happy, but I appreciated the information that was posted for someone who may go solo, even though they did not plan it that way.

I think PVP % was raised.  Don't know by how much.

CVP would not be a good source of advice on "other" insurance.  Too many out there for him/her to make a blanket statement.  Lots of "homework/research" to find out.  If it is a simple 7 day cruise....just buy PVP, in my opinion.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

CVP would not be a good source of advice on "other" insurance.  Too many out there for him/her to make a blanket statement.  Lots of "homework/research" to find out.  If it is a simple 7 day cruise....just buy PVP, in my opinion.  

Sorry if my last post was confusing.  I do not plan to ask my CVP regarding "other" insurance.  I plan to ask him "after my niece cancels her insurance and lose all her payment, will my sister who will then cruise solo, will then need to pay additional money for the solo cabin?" 

It is a 12-day British Isle cruise.  Cost is about $5000pp.  

43 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Do you know if PVP covers EZair refund if you decide to cancel your cruise under CFAR?   Thanks.