Carnival Upgrade Offers Lately

Kudos2Fly

19 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

The answer is "it depends".  If they have enough time, they'll shop it around as an upgrade offer for hundreds of dollars (if not more).

If they have only a little time left before sailing it may get offered for much less, and if/when taken, then try to fill that cabin with an upgrade offer the the next tier down, etc.

I've been offered a couple of lateral moves (at best, IMHO - one balcony to another, last one on the same deck just more mid-ship) for an upcoming cruise that were something like $90 extra.  Not worth it to me.

I believe it is a program that tries for lateral swaps (an 8c on deck 5 to an OPEN 8c on 8 for a minimal price increase as you describe.  I would agree there is a timing factor, but I doubt there is someone cherry picking these by hand, but much more likely a system that says on this date before sailing there are “these” rooms open and trying for a little cash to offer up a relatively better rom for a marginal fee.  That is of course in addition to if a different class open up (suite as example) and offer it up to many on a first come basis for a larger fee (room charge).  Simply an equation of supply and demand.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, simplelife said:

Last cruise we had a porthole cabin and I was offered an "upgrade" to an interior cabin on a higher floor. Of course I did not take it, as IMO an interior is never an upgrade from a porthole..

This is one part of "upgrades" and cabin classes that amuses me.  For some reason each higher deck is "always" better than the one below, and the closer to mid-ship the better.

Other than the fact that the lowest decks have to be porthole/OVs because balconies are, um, "not appropriate", I have no personal desire to be higher up or closer to mid-ship.  If I could swing it, give me an aft balcony on deck 2!  

But I know for many pax being on the same deck as Lido pools and buffet is important, and some pax like to be mid-ship for ship-movement reasons.

Ever since our first cruise we have carefully selected our cabin based on deck and location and balcony options.  It would take a _significant_ upgrade at a reasonable price to make me want to move.

Edited by ProgRockCruiser
grammar

1 hour ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

This is one part of "upgrades" and cabin classes that amuses me.  For some reason each higher deck is "always" better than the one below, and the closer to mid-ship the better.

Other than the fact that the lowest decks have to be porthole/OVs because balconies are, um, "not appropriate", I have no personal desire to be higher up or closer to mid-ship.  If I could swing it, give me an aft balcony on deck 2!  

But I know for many pax being on the same deck as Lido pools and buffet is important, and some pax like to be mid-ship for ship-movement reasons.

Ever since our first cruise we have carefully selected our cabin based on deck and location and balcony options.  It would take a _significant_ upgrade at a reasonable price to make me want to move.

Perception is an individual thing.  It costs nothing to offer and nothing if it is turned down,  

I just received the first upgrade offer I’ve had in a long time. It was laughable. Have a nice location standard balcony, 7280 on Miracle to Hawaii. They just offered me an upsell to extended balcony on deck 5, room 5109 right above the main theater for $480. No rhyme or reason to some of their offers. 

IMG_5472.jpeg

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tree.critter said:

I just received the first upgrade offer I’ve had in a long time. It was laughable. Have a nice location standard balcony, 7280 on Miracle to Hawaii. They just offered me an upsell to extended balcony on deck 5, room 5109 right above the main theater for $480. No rhyme or reason to some of their offers. 

IMG_5472.jpeg

That's what they consider an extended balcony.... Not much of an extended balcony. I've done extended balconies on the sides of the ship and they are quite nice. That just looks like a regular balcony. 

9 hours ago, Kudos2Fly said:

That's what they consider an extended balcony.... Not much of an extended balcony. I've done extended balconies on the sides of the ship and they are quite nice. That just looks like a regular balcony. 

My personal view is that options are always a good thing.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, marci4tony said:

I will be sailing Sunday 11/12 - on Celebration.

I have received (3) upgrade offers, and turned them all down for my balcony cabin Aft.

Someone wanted it real bad I guess...

Sorry...

My guess people rarely give up really nice extended balcony rooms, unless it was a really amazing deal. I have had a few really nice extended balconies. People never give those up. I wasn't able get one on this cruise. I've checking but not luck yet...

On 11/9/2023 at 8:46 PM, tree.critter said:

IMG_5472.jpeg

Aft balconies are high demand especially anytime whale sightings are possible 

On 11/10/2023 at 3:03 PM, marci4tony said:

I will be sailing Sunday 11/12 - on Celebration.

I have received (3) upgrade offers, and turned them all down for my balcony cabin Aft.

Someone wanted it real bad I guess...

Sorry...

Curious what the "upgrade" offered is, from an Aft Balcony.  I'd only see a suite as being an upgrade.

Sometimes you can click on the initially presented upgrade offer to see more cabin types available. For example, we have an offer to go from a bowling alley balcony to a regular higher-deck balcony for $44. That's all we see at first, but when we click the green "select & continue" button, two more options become available: a spa deck balcony for $184 and an aft balcony for $202. Also, the email alert received for the upgrade offer only mentions the regular balcony. So, sometimes (not always) there may be other cabin-types available other than the first one you see.

Email alert looks like:

Upgrade your Balcony stateroom to a higher deck and get closer to all the onboard activities. This offer is only available on a limited number of staterooms.
mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmovableink.carniv

Online you initially see just:

UPGRADE YOUR Balcony ROOM

• Tip: Higher decks are always better
  • Get faster, easier access to all the onboard fun
  • Enjoy the convenience of staying closer to the pool, dining spots, Lido Deck, Promenade and more favorites
Selected
$

But clicking thru the "select & continue" shows:

Carnival Breeze Balcony Stateroom

Balcony

Balcony staterooms were designed for maximum sea breeze and the most stunning views, so look to a balcony if you're looking to cruise aboard Carnival Breeze. Any time you're in your room, you're just steps away from your own personal outdoor oasis, featuring the sort of sea view you can also feel.

Selected
$
Carnival Breeze Cloud 9 Spa Balcony Stateroom

Cloud 9 Spa Balcony

Whether you're warming up for your spa appointment or winding down after your treatment, there's no better place to do it than on your Cloud 9 Spa Balcony. Breathing is important — take the ocean breeze in, then let it out — you're already getting the hang of the whole spa thing!

Selected
$
Carnival Breeze Aft-View Extended Balcony Stateroom

Aft-View Extended Balcony

Aft-View Extended Balcony staterooms feature a larger balcony for more lounge-around room, more kick-back space... not to even mention some of the best stern-side views you'll find anywhere. Get ready to relax as you gaze upon Carnival Breeze's gentle wake from your spacious balcony.

Selected
$
Edited by txcruiser1234
  • Like 2

Last night, I noticed the 1st upsell offer we ever received in our entire cruising history. 🎉

We booked a balcony guarantee for a price that fit our budget. The offers (shown below) would take us way outside of our lil vacation budget. So, we will not be taking any. 😏

Today I noticed an email that said we could upgrade for $92 per cabin! 🥳 But when I went to carnival’s website, the only offers that show are what I’ve already seen.😝

Oh well. At least I can join the crowd who has received an upsell offer. 😂

IMG_1247.jpeg

IMG_1246.jpeg

IMG_1245.jpeg

Edited by jemrtt
Spelling

We have two rooms booked on Panorama in March, a cove balcony and an inside across the hall.  We selected the rooms ourselves.

I've gotten one offer to move the balcony to a higher floor, I can't remember the cost, less than $50.  That was shortly after booking.

I've had 2-3 offers for the inside to move to a higher floor, about $28 I think.  Offer today to move inside to an oceanview for $168.

We haven't considered any of them.

14 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

Are these offers coming to you in an email, or do you have to sign into your account on Carnival to see if you have any offers?   Also, are the offers per person, or total for the particular stateroom upgrade that you may choose.

I get an email.  I don't see it online unless I go digging around under the booking details...I'm not sure exactly where it shows up because I think the Carnival website layout is a mess.  

I don't have a nice picture or anything but we got an upgrade offer yesterday to move from our nice Oceanview cabin on an upcoming two week Journey to a Balcony. Great, I'll take a look-see.

A MERE $1388! That's just short of what we paid per person when we booked this thing back during the early days of the restart. How fast did I click NO do ya think! 😳

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jsglow said:

I don't have a nice picture or anything but we got an upgrade offer yesterday to move from our nice Oceanview cabin on an upcoming two week Journey to a Balcony. Great, I'll take a look-see.

A MERE $1388! That's just short of what we paid per person when we booked this thing back during the early days of the restart. How fast did I click NO do ya think! 😳

Ouch.  Basically, you'd pay about 50% more for that balcony vs the OV.  The original going rate for Balcony vs OV when doing a booking seems to be about a 15% to 25% differential.  50% more to upgrade is an awful offer.

But I also think the days of getting an upgrade from OV to balcony for $50 or $100 is long gone...

• Like 1

This is an update to my original post. I logged into my account and went to the main Carnival site and saw that an extended "large" balcony was available for $396  for our sailing. Even around 8pm at night I called Carnival. We live in Florida so knew someone most likely would answer the phone.... Anyways I was able to get the room. A week later I log into my account and there is a "upgrade" offer for another $579 I can upgrade to a suite on deck 9. Our current room is on deck 14. I turn down that offer. I was thinking did I do the right thing and the answer for us is YES. I looked at YouTube videos and for people that want a "little" bit more room they are fine, but balcony space for us was a down grade at least on deck 9. As deck 9 is expose to the sun. I love getting sun, but also I like sitting on the balcony without getting bake. You don't even have the shade from the balcony above you. And also people can look up and see you from your balcony on deck 8. Needless to say I didn't take that offer. Unless they give me a good deal on an Excel Suite I doubt I'll move from the room we have now. I LOVE my balcony space... It was a room on the "hump" area of the balconies that is the largest area for a balcony.

• Like 1

On 11/9/2023 at 9:46 PM, tree.critter said:

IMG_5472.jpeg

Venezia will be our first time on a Carnival ship, I am wondering where I would see upgrade deals, thank you 🙂

14 minutes ago, Bronx12 said:

Venezia will be our first time on a Carnival ship, I am wondering where I would see upgrade deals, thank you 🙂

You may get them via email, you may get a phone call, but you should always be able to see them, if offered, in your Cruise Manager on the Carnival website - it will be listed in the "My To-Do List" area at the left (that's where it is on my screen).  There may even be an alert at/near the top of the screen after you log in.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

You may get them via email, you may get a phone call, but you should always be able to see them, if offered, in your Cruise Manager on the Carnival website - it will be listed in the "My To-Do List" area at the left (that's where it is on my screen).  There may even be an alert at/near the top of the screen after you log in.

Awesome! You rock! Thanks for your help, no offer but we originally booked what we wanted so disappoint there.