Black out curtain for Infinite Balcony?

sandinmyshoes

We are going to be on the Edge in an Infinite Balcony for 4 weeks for a repositioning cruise.  We haven't sailed in an Infinite balcony before and want to make sure I can go out and enjoy the opened balcony space early without the light bothering my husband.  Should I bring a black out curtain and hang it with magnetic hooks to separate the spaces more?  I've watched YouTube videos but haven't seen anyone do that.  I also searched this forum but can not get the search function to work for some reason.  

If bringing a blackout curtain is advised, what size should I bring?

3 minutes ago, RichYak said:

There is no balcony to "go out" to in IV cabins. There is already a blackout shade/curtain that covers the window.

I understand there is a partition between the room and the Infinite verandah that is a bit translucent which lets in light.  I also understand there is a black out wall type thing that comes down from the ceiling at the edge of the verandah, but if I want to be on the verandah with the window shade open so I can enjoy the sound of the ocean and the fresh air while my husband is still asleep (and wants a dark cabin) this doesn't seem possible.  Even if I close the doors separating the two spaces won't the light come into the room?

I am wondering if anyone has actually brought their own black out curtain and if so, what size I would want to get.

9 minutes ago, sandinmyshoes said:

We are going to be on the Edge in an Infinite Balcony for 4 weeks for a repositioning cruise.  We haven't sailed in an Infinite balcony before and want to make sure I can go out and enjoy the opened balcony space early without the light bothering my husband.  Should I bring a black out curtain and hang it with magnetic hooks to separate the spaces more?  I've watched YouTube videos but haven't seen anyone do that.  I also searched this forum but can not get the search function to work for some reason.  

If bringing a blackout curtain is advised, what size should I bring?

As mentioned in the IV cabin there's no balcony. What you have is a window that opens. So unlike a sitting at real balcony where you are outside, in an IV cabin you're basically just sitting in your cabin next to an open window. Yes you will get the fresh air and breezes, but you are never outside, you're inside next to an open window. There are folding doors that act as a screen to close off the space to create a fake separate area. They are translucent so they will let in light. The chairs provided in the balcony area are low back chairs are while they are fine for sitting for a short time they aren't comfortable to sit for long stretches since there's no back support. Also remember the HVAC shuts off if you open the window, so they rest of the cabin won't have any heat or AC depending on where you set the thermostat. The temps won't change too much for a short time, but after 30 minutes with the window open the main cabin temps will change. What is your cabin setup, is your bed by the window or bathroom? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sandinmyshoes said:

I want to be on the verandah with the window shade open so I can enjoy the sound of the ocean and the fresh air while my husband is still asleep (and wants a dark cabin) this doesn't seem possible.

Correct, it isn't. I also assume your husband would like air conditioning while he's still sleeping, which will shut off when you open the window. IMO, you're trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. This type of cabin isn't practical for couples on different sleep schedules. You either need to change cabins, change sleep schedules, or change your morning routine.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

at least one passenger, his rig something like this up

5D425E7F-66F4-441A-8104-3213BF9C9DAC.jpeg

F468C57A-04A7-48E2-B9A2-8D90D3E312FE.jpeg

DE005892-B3FE-4828-8CEF-E1417A7F2E71.jpeg

Awful lot of work. First you have to lug the curtains in your luggage. Secondly you have to put them up and take them down every day. Third it looks tacky and like something college students would do. I'm not spending thousands of $ on a nice cabin only to jury rigg curtains. Just leave the cabin and go elsewhere on the ship. Early morning you have the whole run of the ship to enjoy the beautiful surroundings and atmosphere. 

• Like 3

agree not a good look.  if bed is by bath may not shine in that much

Or as suggested above, get  your husb a dark sleep mask.

or you can read at Al Baccio

Edited by hcat

Serious question, all of y’all who say you loathe the IV, have you actually sailed in one? 

I ask because the Wife and I have a Concierge Guarantee book on the Beyond 8 day ABC cruise next fall. I’ve not sailed in an IV cabin yet, and am willing to give it a shot..

I am not worried about someone needing darkness in the AM, we never close the curtains at night on our standard balconies..only if we are gone for the day do we close them, mainly to keep the cabin cooler. I like the sunlight in the AM at sea. 

This may be for naught, as I intend to try and bid up to a Sky Suite. 

4 hours ago, kwokpot said:

Awful lot of work. First you have to lug the curtains in your luggage. Secondly you have to put them up and take them down every day. Third it looks tacky and like something college students would do. I'm not spending thousands of $ on a nice cabin only to jury rigg curtains. Just leave the cabin and go elsewhere on the ship. Early morning you have the whole run of the ship to enjoy the beautiful surroundings and atmosphere. 

Actually not the case.  That was my solution.  A $10 blackout curtain and 3 magnetic hooks. Curtain weights less than a pound so not much “lugging” involved.   We didn’t take it down we just folded it back. We have used it multiple times.  What you see as tacky some think of as functional.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Serious question, all of y’all who say you loathe the IV, have you actually sailed in one? 

I ask because the Wife and I have a Concierge Guarantee book on the Beyond 8 day ABC cruise next fall. I’ve not sailed in an IV cabin yet, and am willing to give it a shot..

I am not worried about someone needing darkness in the AM, we never close the curtains at night on our standard balconies..only if we are gone for the day do we close them, mainly to keep the cabin cooler. I like the sunlight in the AM at sea. 

This may be for naught, as I intend to try and bid up to a Sky Suite. 

It's a great cabin. The panoramic window allows great views and light. We stayed in our 5tb IV cabin this past July on the Apex for an Iceland cruise and it was great seeing the beautiful fjords from the panoramic window right in our cabin without having to put on a coat. We occasionally lowered the window to feel the cold air and be able to peek our heads out the window to see beyond the view from the chair. After 15 minutes we would put the window back up because it was getting too cold.

The IV cabins are perfect for those that want to OCCASIONALLY feel the outside air and enjoy the views. They aren't a substitute for a traditional veranda since you're not really outside as compared to a sunset veranda. Whatsmore the two chairs provided aren't comfortable enough to spend hours in them since their low backs don't provide any support like a high back semi reclining chair. As long as you know what an IV cabin is and what it isn't (a true outdoor space) it's a great cabin choice. 

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 1

We sailed on the Edge and had a IV.  Hated it!  I like to grab a cup of coffee and sit on the veranda while my husband is still sleeping.  Can’t do that because now you have to raise blackout shade and flood the room with sun light  and opening the window is on a switch which sounds like a cement mixer.  Loved the Edge otherwise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jelayne said:

Actually not the case.  That was my solution.  A $10 blackout curtain and 3 magnetic hooks. Curtain weights less than a pound so not much “lugging” involved.   We didn’t take it down we just folded it back. We have used it multiple times.  What you see as tacky some think of as functional.  

Finally, someone who answers the actual question instead of just giving their unneeded comments.  Thank YOU Jelayne!

Sheesh!  I said I watched the YouTube videos and know what I'm getting into as far as not a traditional balcony.  My ONLY question was about the possibility of bringing a curtain and what size I would need.  I obviously don't mind "lugging" it.  I didn't pose the question because I needed some negative people to tell me they don't know how to be helpful.  HA!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sandinmyshoes said:

Finally, someone who answers the actual question instead of just giving their unneeded comments.  Thank YOU Jelayne!

Sheesh!  I said I watched the YouTube videos and know what I'm getting into as far as not a traditional balcony.  My ONLY question was about the possibility of bringing a curtain and what size I would need.  I obviously don't mind "lugging" it.  I didn't pose the question because I needed some negative people to tell me they don't know how to be helpful.  HA!

Photos in post #6

You'd need enough curtains to cover the width of the cabin.  As you see in the photo, it doesn't really block out all the light so skeptical that it would be worth the trouble.  Why they didn't just put a curtain partition in from the outset is a mystery to me.  Several cruise lines do have that option in their rooms.