Formal dressing

Gracie115

20 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

I do know there are no formal nights but if we were dress formal on a night or two would we feel out of place and uncomfortable.  This would be on Vista.

No one  would know  your feelings 🙄

Would you be in the minority in formal wear ?  YES

If you want to dress formal go for it

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

There will be an almost full spectrum of "dress style" on board.

If by formal, you mean white tie/tails for any gents and gowns for any women, you may be the only ones in that type of attire, but you'll probably get a lot of smiles.

If you mean slightly lesser formal, you'll still probably get a lot of smiles.

Perhaps be prepared for an occasional query about whether you are celebrating anything, so maybe have a nice answer, accurate or not. 😉 

Enjoy the cruise with "your style"!

🙂 

GC

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

I do know there are no formal nights but if we were dress formal on a night or two would we feel out of place and uncomfortable.  This would be on Vista.

Are you talking "ball gown" formal or maybe just a long black skirt and tunic top with some rhinestones?

@Gracie115 My wife and I usually dress nicely for dinner.  I will wear a jacket without tie and my wife wears dresses or dress pants with lovely blouses.  We have not seen gowns or tuxedos on any of our O cruises as there are no formal evenings.  We enjoy seeing others dressed up as well especially in the specialty dining areas.  Wear what you want it’s better to be overdressed than underdressed IMO.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

My 2¢:

• Expect to get noticed (so don't do it if you're shy 😉 ).

• Expect to get asked if it's a special occasion, and get well wishes if you say "Yes".

• Expect blowback if you are perceived as snooty (which is what being shy can come across as 😞 ).

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Snaefell3 said:

• Expect to get asked if it's a special occasion, and get well wishes if you say "Yes".

We always tell them we are "celebrating our 50th." They are blown away, and we get hearty congratulations we have had people buy us drinks, the waiters comp us stuff (at a regular on shore restaurant). If someone says, "You look to young to be married 50 years." We tell them, "We haven't been married 50 years. We just heard so many good things about celebrating the 50th, we decided to celebrate that one this year." 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

On 11/25/2023 at 1:35 PM, Gracie115 said:

In 4 cruises on Riviera we saw 1 tux & a few suits. Most wear a nice shirt & pants often with a coat. Some with no coat, but still nicely dressed. Do what you're comfortable with.

Edited by rbtan
spelling
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, rbtan said:

In 4 cruises on Riviera we saw 1 tux & a few suits. Most wear a nice shirt & pants often with a coat. Some with no coat, but still nicely dressed. Do what you're comfortable with.

We will. We are celebrating an Anniversary.  My husband will not be wearing a tux but a tie and jacket and I will wear something that is more than "country club casual."

It never matters to us what someone else wears so hopefully it won't matter to anyone else either. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

it won't matter to anyone else either

It won't. I choose not to go to land based restaurants which require jackets and, similarly, choose not to holiday with cruise lines which have similar policies. But I've never objected, when I've been at my local pizza place to anyone wearing a jacket and tie. 

Best wishes for your anniversary. We celebrated our 50th last year. We had two nights at a nice hotel, with Michelin starred restaurant, a couple of hours drive north. There were a couple of men wearing jackets but everyone else was wearing some version  of "smart casual" - short-sleeved shirt and chinos in my case. 

I don't think folk  are anything like as fussed about what people wear as they were maybe 3 or 4 decades ago. 

Edited by Harters
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 11/25/2023 at 1:35 PM, Gracie115 said:

I agree with all the other comments that it is no problem.  My only two cents to add is that you need to be comfortable being around people who are dressed less formally than you are.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Woodrowst said:

I agree with all the other comments that it is no problem.  My only two cents to add is that you need to be comfortable being around people who are dressed less formally than you are.

Of course!  We're just very excited about being on our 1st Oceania cruise.  Actually also very glad that there are no actual "formal" (Princess) or "elegant chic" (Celebrity) or "dress your best" (HAL) evenings, lol.....but, ya know, I've got this outfit I've never worn and what the heck, I figured it would be fun to do for one evening.  The rest of the evenings I'll be as casual as is possible (no holey jeans though...😁

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

ya know, I've got this outfit I've never worn and what the heck, I figured it would be fun to do for one evening.   

When cruising, I pack all my outfits that aren’t appropriate for Jack-in-the-box! LOL!
JK 🥰

Edited by PhD-iva
Edit
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On my recent Riviera cruise, one night we had to wait for about 5 minutes before being seated for dinner.  We sat in chairs right by the entry/exit doors, and saw about five couples walk out.  All of the men were wearing black casual walking shoes, as was I.  This is about as formal as my footwear gets nowadays.  

16 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Formal attire is not usually found on Oceania.  If you like getting dressed up, do it.  

I really do enjoy dressing up (when surrounded by like-minded fashion snobs), so my previous post was touch-in-cheek, as is this one I guess also…..

Seriously though, I like to “fit in” so I’m not wanting to be the “odd one out,” whatever the dress code…..

51 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

I really do enjoy dressing up (when surrounded by like-minded fashion snobs), so my previous post was touch-in-cheek, as is this one I guess also…..

Seriously though, I like to “fit in” so I’m not wanting to be the “odd one out,” whatever the dress code…..

Looks like auto-corrupt "fixed" your tongue?  😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/30/2023 at 6:45 AM, Gracie115 said:

We will. We are celebrating an Anniversary.  My husband will not be wearing a tux but a tie and jacket and I will wear something that is more than "country club casual."

It never matters to us what someone else wears so hopefully it won't matter to anyone else either. 

For some unexplained reason, out two youngest grandchildren, (now 11 and 14), always like dressing up at least one night each cruise.  It has always been their wish and decision and not one we suggested.  DW, their parents, and I don't know where they even got the idea.  That said, we have a family cruise booked in January aboard NCl and they both insist on dressing up for their Mom's birthday dinner.  No one has ever been snide about their dress and most have even paid them complements.  Dress how you want and enjoy the moment!

55769972_10156444975372547_8721174146727280640_n.jpg

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

And that's ok...... stopped buying pictures on board a long time ago.  (we might take a selfie or two😀)

18 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

And that's ok...... stopped buying pictures on board a long time ago.  (we might take a selfie or two😀)

Better than a selfie is to have someone take a few of you.

• Like 1