Jump to content

Missing Jacques on Vista?


Acrusa
 Share

Recommended Posts

 

7 minutes ago, Harters said:

I had never heard of Jacques Pepin until we took a cruise on Marina in 2017. Thought the food was fine. I suppose its plus point is that it serves the sort of dishes that foreign tourists expect to find on restaurant menus when they visit France  - but rarely will, as French restaurants are generally catering to a French customer base and not stuck with the traditional. I'm looking forward to trying Ember as another restaurant serving "foreign food". 

Not sure what you mean by that. Ember is billed as a traditional American restaurant.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, edgee said:

Very upscale Appleby's. Noisy atmosphere. Food is pretty good. Fine alternative to dining in GDR for a night or two, but NOT really a "special" specialty restaurant. Nowhere near a really neat experience one looks forward to like Jacque or Red Ginger. Clearly a mistake on Oceania's part.

Oceania does not feel it was a mistake...they are very delighted with Ember..

Jancruz1

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Harters said:

I had never heard of Jacques Pepin until we took a cruise on Marina in 2017. Thought the food was fine. I suppose its plus point is that it serves the sort of dishes that foreign tourists expect to find on restaurant menus when they visit France  - but rarely will, as French restaurants are generally catering to a French customer base and not stuck with the traditional. I'm looking forward to trying Ember as another restaurant serving "foreign food". 

I live 45 minutes from France (in Switzerland). To me Jacques served pretty good "bistro" food.  And I liked it.  And the restaurants I go to do not cater to tourists.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Jancruz said:

Oceania does not feel it was a mistake...they are very delighted with Ember..

Jancruz1

You are one of the most informed contributors to this board, so I really accept your point. Wondering what factors contribute to their "delight." Would be surprised to hear it is rave reviews from guests.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, edgee said:

You are one of the most informed contributors to this board, so I really accept your point. Wondering what factors contribute to their "delight." Would be surprised to hear it is rave reviews from guests.

Love your posts Ed 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, edgee said:

You are one of the most informed contributors to this board, so I really accept your point. Wondering what factors contribute to their "delight." Would be surprised to hear it is rave reviews from guests.

On Vista for a B2B and heard many rave reviews for Ember and people trying for additional nights...we tried towards the middle of the 2nd cruise and could not get an additional so someone is liking Ember.  We gave it rave reviews...

Edited by basor
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, basor said:

On Vista for a B2B and heard many rave reviews for Ember and people trying for additional nights...we tried towards the middle of the 2nd cruise and could not get an additional so someone is liking Ember.  We gave it rave reviews...

You noted that point in previous discussion. We were on 2nd half of your B2B and got a second reservation with multiple choice of times on a few hours notice. We were offered more on other nights which we did not accept. As previously pointed out, we liked Ember as an occasional alternative to GDR or Terrace, but find it disappointing as a really special place to dine like Jacque or Red Ginger.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, edgee said:

You noted that point in previous discussion. We were on 2nd half of your B2B and got a second reservation with multiple choice of times on a few hours notice. We were offered more on other nights which we did not accept. As previously pointed out, we liked Ember as an occasional alternative to GDR or Terrace, but find it disappointing as a really special place to dine like Jacque or Red Ginger.

Sorry we couldn't have been as lucky as you....Red Ginger is our favorite too and we were able to get extras there.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, basor said:

Sorry we couldn't have been as lucky as you....Red Ginger is our favorite too and we were able to get extras there.

And we could not get extra reservations at Red Ginger....guess it depends on timing of when one inquires.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, edgee said:

You are one of the most informed contributors to this board, so I really accept your point. Wondering what factors contribute to their "delight." Would be surprised to hear it is rave reviews from guests.

I can take a whack at part of that question. The menu items in Ember are far simpler to prep for and prepare than the items in Jacques. I willing to guess this item alone probably saves them 3-4 cooks in the kitchen which in turn saves them money. Then there is the delta with ingredient costs.

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

I can take a whack at part of that question. The menu items in Ember are far simpler to prep for and prepare than the items in Jacques. I willing to guess this item alone probably saves them 3-4 cooks in the kitchen which in turn saves them money. Then there is the delta with ingredient costs.

 

 

Agree. And perhaps easier sourcing of ingredients.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have only sailed Vista and while we were disappointed to not have Jaques, we did enjoy Ember, Red Ginger on the other hand was unimpressive. I was surprised by that. We will try it again on our next cruise but we like the Vista size. Not sure we'd sail a smaller vessel. So not sure we will get a chance to try Jaques.

Edited by jennybenny
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

I can take a whack at part of that question. The menu items in Ember are far simpler to prep for and prepare than the items in Jacques. I willing to guess this item alone probably saves them 3-4 cooks in the kitchen which in turn saves them money. Then there is the delta with ingredient costs.

 

 

IIRC, on another thread re Ember, a post attributed the decision to drop Jacques in the two new builds in part to an O exec's claim when queried on the Vista's Founder's Cruise that Americans wanted to eat "fast."  An upgraded Applebee's means quicker turnover, compared to the slower-paced Polo, Toscana, Red Ginger, the lamented Jacques, or even the GDR. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, jennybenny said:

Have only sailed Vista and while we were disappointed to not have Jaques, we did enjoy Ember, Red Ginger on the other hand was unimpressive. I was surprised by that. We will try it again on our next cruise but we like the Vista size. Not sure we'd sail a smaller vessel. So not sure we will get a chance to try Jaques.

Marina, Riviera, Vista - all same size. Marina and Riviera have Jacques. Vista and R ships do not.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, edgee said:

You noted that point in previous discussion. We were on 2nd half of your B2B and got a second reservation with multiple choice of times on a few hours notice. We were offered more on other nights which we did not accept. As previously pointed out, we liked Ember as an occasional alternative to GDR or Terrace, but find it disappointing as a really special place to dine like Jacque or Red Ginger.

Your point of not being 'special' is key as this is what we expect when dining in Speciality restaurants. Haven't sailed Vista yet so cannot personally comment.  That said, most forums seem to give Ember a 👎.  At least we will once again enjoy Jacques on Riviera this spring.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We're surprised so many don't know about Jacques Pepin.If they knew about Julia Child, one would think of their frequent collaborations. Many of the pax on Oceania are not as culinary advanced as many would have you believe. On our first cruise on Riviera, we shared a table(large one) in Jacques. Keith & I ordered the Foie Gras. No one at the table was familiar with it. We passed some around. Basically our entire portions. Needless to say the entire table ordered their own(us again as well LOL)

 I feel that O maybe trying a new direction. Not all their ships need to have all the same restaurants on board.Variety can be a good thing. Being in the food industry is the reason we are pretty advanced when it comes to food variety.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Do Brits eat anything other than fish and chips, bland bangers, steak annd kidney pie, and Aussie lamb?

Yes.

 

For info, here's the menu at one of our favourite local bistro type places. No need for Aussie or Kiwi lamb when it's farmed in the next county. 

https://www.thelimetreerestaurant.co.uk/images/AutumnMenuOctSample.pdf

 

But I always enjoy the food when we travel to foreign countries. And I've always reckoned the States is the most foreign that we visit, in spite of the language being broadly similar. So different to other European countries we visit. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, pinotlover said:

When the new “ A” line was first announced it was stated that there would be no Jacques, but we were getting a hugely updated Barrista. Even though We didn’t get the new reimagined steak house, the menu there on the Vista does delete some items and add others.

The one addition to Vista we liked very much is Aquamor restaurant. We are returning to Vista next month and are looking forward to enjoying it again and are excited that it is being added to the Marina, just in time for our 25 day itinerary this summer. On the other hand, the expanded Barista's with their bakery which puts out 4 or 5 items at a time is not much of an addition. And Ember....well you already know what many folks think of that.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, basor said:

On Vista for a B2B and heard many rave reviews for Ember and people trying for additional nights...we tried towards the middle of the 2nd cruise and could not get an additional so someone is liking Ember.  We gave it rave reviews...

+1.  Really, really liked it!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really liked Ember- the filet and rib eye steaks were great, as was the pork chop. What I hated was the fact that they relocated it from the starboard side, where Jacques would have bern- to the aft of the ship, so they eliminated the stairs and elevator- you need to get off at deck 6 and walk to the front of the ship and go down to deck 5 and walk to the back.  Saving grace was the calories I burned off doing it which allowed for extra butter on my baked potato. 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, LHT28 said:

We were unable to get a 2nd seating in Ember  so I guess some people were enjoying it

 

We  did not care for Jacques   so it makes no difference to us 

Same with us - appears it was popular on our cruise!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/1/2023 at 7:14 PM, Harters said:

Yes.

 

For info, here's the menu at one of our favourite local bistro type places. No need for Aussie or Kiwi lamb when it's farmed in the next county. 

https://www.thelimetreerestaurant.co.uk/images/AutumnMenuOctSample.pdf

 

But I always enjoy the food when we travel to foreign countries. And I've always reckoned the States is the most foreign that we visit, in spite of the language being broadly similar. So different to other European countries we visit. 

The US is a melting pot as they say. You expect all types of cuisine & various flavors.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/1/2023 at 12:12 PM, edgee said:

You are one of the most informed contributors to this board, so I really accept your point. Wondering what factors contribute to their "delight." Would be surprised to hear it is rave reviews from guests.

Thank you for the kind words..much appreciated..

Jancruz1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Welcome to Cruise Critic
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Set Sail Beyond the Ordinary with Oceania Cruises
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: The Widest View in the Whole Wide World
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Cruise Critic News & Features
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...