Thoughts, impressions, and observations for the World Cruise.

1 hour ago, island lady said:

@orville99...using your suggestion, though I don't post on CC on my phone (prefer my laptop), I think I just did it.  Here we go...and thanks again!  🙂 

Raining heavily now in Cozumel.   Happy we are already back on the ship!   

20231213_160614.jpg

Sorry about the rain. Great that you can now do pictures.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

A cruise that costs 3/4 of a million dollars to take the family on isn't likely to have a loud buzz.

Well, maybe not that specifically or a Genie for 2 people or 2 cabins or whatever the other big "controversy"  (exaggerating 🙂) was.

But more along the lines of a plain ol every day mass-market cruise ship doing an around the world in 9 months cruise will get some press.

@island lady It looks like your "Holy Cow" rain is headed for us this weekend - cruisers leaving from FL ports this weekend might watch the weather:

Tom Terry WFTV Orlando says:

"A strong low will form in the Gulf of Mexico and move over Florida from late Saturday through early Sunday, bringing tropical storm-like conditions to Florida.

“This likely won’t be tropical in nature,” he said.

But we can expect to see 2 to 5 inches of rain, wind gusts in excess of 40 to 50 mph, coastal erosion and flooding, and wave run-up. A few tornadoes are also possible."

image.png.c0e8d07327d13bfd3105973437f50973.png

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SeaHunt said:

@island lady It looks like your "Holy Cow" rain is headed for us this weekend - cruisers leaving from FL ports this weekend might watch the weather:

"A strong low will form in the Gulf of Mexico and move over Florida from late Saturday through early Sunday, bringing tropical storm-like conditions to Florida.

But we can expect to see 2 to 5 inches of rain, wind gusts in excess of 40 to 50 mph, coastal erosion and flooding, and wave run-up. A few tornadoes are also possible."

It will be in Southern New England on Monday..  or so they say.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Actually they are predicting heavy rain and wind on Saturday  , clearing Sunday, and a cold front Monday. At least on the east coast.

Good evening @island lady So do you feel totally settled in now? I find that as soon as we unpack and find a place for everything I am done and our stateroom is "home". My DH takes a little longer to unwind 😉

Also speaking for DH, another question from him is what people are doing for RX prescriptions for the entire cruise? I know our plan will pre-fill for vacations, but don't know about that many days!

You can see the difference between the two of us - I'd be more worried about having enough clothes and he's all about logistics lol.

Thanks again for taking the time to post your experiences and letting us follow you on this wonderful trip (and answering our questions). I bet most will be following all the way until you leave the ship! 😊

• Like 1

3 hours ago, island lady said:

@orville99...using your suggestion, though I don't post on CC on my phone (prefer my laptop), I think I just did it.  Here we go...and thanks again!  🙂 

Raining heavily now in Cozumel.   Happy we are already back on the ship!   

20231213_160614.jpg

I hope it does not rain in Cozumel on Saturday, I want the ship to myself. (Boarding Radiance tomorrow... first time on Radiance)

2 hours ago, SeaHunt said:

UGH. I was on Brilliance last February and we were bouncing around all over the place... the pitching was really bad. It was the first time I ever felt queasy, so I may need some dramamine for tomorrow's cruise. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Teeara said:

I've broken down a world cruise into 7 segments.  I'm NOT taking them consecutively.  They will be taken over a span of many, many years. 

Last year was segment 1 - TA from Barcelona to FL (where I met Pat and Bucky in the SL every night).  This year I skipped segment 2 and went straight to segment 3 since my mom wanted to do CA to HI.  Next year is segment 2 - (Panama Canal) FL to CA.  So segment 4 is a partial TP - HI to Australia.  Segment 5 is Australia to Indonesia.  Segment 6 is Indonesia to Dubai and Segment 7 is Dubai to Barcelona.  They won't be all on RCI (last year's segment 3 was on the Royal Princess). 

I find this totally fascinating to read.  It's made me realize that we have unwittingly cruised on some of the traditional routes of world cruises.  We have cruised 19 nights from Honolulu, via stops on Tahiti and NZ to Sydney.  A few years before that we cruised 14 nights from Sydney, up via stops on the Eastern coast of Australia to Singapore and, in April/May 24, we'll be cruising 15 nights from Singapore via stops in Malaysia, Sri Lanka, India and Abu Dhabi, to Dubai.   So they all link together which amazes me to realize. Of course, being in New Zealand, it's the rest of the world cruising routes that are left and which are way more expensive for us to fly to... 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Yes, and the storm looks eerily similar to what we just experienced on Monday.  Windy, rain going sideways and lots of soggy shoes.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jldev said:

I find this totally fascinating to read.  It's made me realize that we have unwittingly cruised on some of the traditional routes of world cruises.  We have cruised 19 nights from Honolulu, via stops on Tahiti and NZ to Sydney.  A few years before that we cruised 14 nights from Sydney, up via stops on the Eastern coast of Australia to Singapore and, in April/May 24, we'll be cruising 15 nights from Singapore via stops in Malaysia, Sri Lanka, India and Abu Dhabi, to Dubai.   So they all link together which amazes me to realize. Of course, being in New Zealand, it's the rest of the world cruising routes that are left and which are way more expensive for us to fly to... 

It's the flying expense that is holding us back, too.  We're in the Boston area, so that flight home from Australia to Boston might be more expensive than the cruise itself, especially if we book Premium Economy or Business Class. I've done a 12+ hour flight in Economy going from Toronto to Tel Aviv and it wasn't pleasant.  But at least I was sitting in a 2 row with my mom so we didn't mind snuggling up together during the flight.  Not gonna do that with my roommate ;o)))

• Like 2

12 hours ago, SeaHunt said:

Tom Terry is the best! We’re all ready for this too

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Sorry about the rain. Great that you can now do pictures.

Having trouble with internet today...but just walked around taking random ship pictures of interesting things.  Awful weather outside.  Rough seas, spitting rain, very windy.  Could not do my early morning walk on deck 12, was closed off.  

Will try to post when the signals clear up...probably due to heavy clouds.  

• Like 3

15 hours ago, SeaHunt said:

Yup, that's us!   Cruising through it right now, Captain Stig taking a beeline from Cozumel to Aruba.  Day at sea today, tomorrow, and finally getting into Aruba by 11 am on Saturday.  

Looks like yours and my house dead in it's path!!  😮 

15 hours ago, orville99 said:

I have my laptop linked to my iCloud account, so anything I take on my phone also goes there. Makes it a bit easier to post pictures.

I am definitely not up to your IT genius....just call me dinosaur!  😉 🦕

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Luckynana said:

@island lady  Great pictures of Bucky.  I hope you're leaving the rain behind in Cozumel, and have smooth and clear sailing from now on, Pat!

Thanks...he is a camera ham for sure.  😄 

LOL...most definitely not smooth or clear right now as we enter the big "trench".  Happy we have a cabin midship...would not like to be at either ends of the "seesaw" right now.  😮 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SeaHunt said:

Good evening @island lady So do you feel totally settled in now? I find that as soon as we unpack and find a place for everything I am done and our stateroom is "home". My DH takes a little longer to unwind 😉

Also speaking for DH, another question from him is what people are doing for RX prescriptions for the entire cruise? I know our plan will pre-fill for vacations, but don't know about that many days!

You can see the difference between the two of us - I'd be more worried about having enough clothes and he's all about logistics lol.

Thanks again for taking the time to post your experiences and letting us follow you on this wonderful trip (and answering our questions). I bet most will be following all the way until you leave the ship! 😊

Thanks!  And you are most welcome.  🙂 

For us, we are only doing half of the WC.  First Quarter and Last Quarter.  We simply filled a 90 day supply of meds just before we left.  More than enough for the 63 nights on first quarter until we disembark in LA.  Will do so again before we fly to Barcelona to rejoin the ship for last quarter.  

Clothes...no worries at all.  We just took the same amount as we would for a 2 week cruise, but did have to add cold weather clothes for the Horn and Antarctica.  So.....I will be getting laundry sent out today, and some hand washing tomorrow I think.  🙂 

• Like 5

On 12/12/2023 at 11:39 PM, ReneeFLL said:

Some of the beds have been so hard we won't cruise without our Klymit pads. They are very sturdy since they’re made for camping.

https://klymit.gathroutdoors.com/collections/klymit-sleep-comforts

This is the one I have. It’s less than 2 pounds and packs up so small.

https://klymit.gathroutdoors.com/products/static-v-luxe-sleeping-pad?color=gray

Thanks for the idea! We actually bought one of these for our long distance travel with Phoebe. Since there are so few places to change her or lie her down in airports, we used this on benches for her. (Now if I can find where Tom put it after we got home, lol!)

• Like 1

OK...guess Elon's satellite could not pick us up in all those heavy clouds.  Sun peaking out now...hello WIFI!  

Random shots around the ship.

Xmas tree up

Gingerbread house treats anyone?

Biiiigg toy ship for under the tree?

Library now fully stocked...though lots of duplicates.

And in case we forget where we are going....nice chart!

20231214_091344.jpg

20231214_092250.jpg

20231214_092329.jpg

20231214_091848.jpg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Thanks...he is a camera ham for sure.  😄 

Other than the rain, it sounds like you are settling in nicely.  Are we going to see any pictures of you on this cruise Pat?  Didn't you get "outed" a couple of years ago by either John or OB (can't remember which)?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Yup, that's us!   Cruising through it right now, Captain Stig taking a beeline from Cozumel to Aruba.  Day at sea today, tomorrow, and finally getting into Aruba by 11 am on Saturday.  

Looks like yours and my house dead in it's path!!  😮 

Wow, Capt. Stig was skipper years ago when we did a Serenade southern sailing out of Puerto Rico.

When we left St. Lucia he brought us down to the Pitons, did a 360 and parked us in the middle of them to watch an amazing sunset.

On the last day heading back to PR as we passed each island he announced the name and gave a brief history. Then when we got to Montserrat he slowed down, brought us in close and gave us great views of the volcanic destruction.

I will never forget him. He added so much to that cruise.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1