Misconceptions

shipgeeks

My group actually had this discussion yesterday. The myth I defused is cruising is all about eating and drinking.  

Of course the lines advertise the food but in reality you will find much better food in any big city and secondly many of us don’t focus on the food. 

Another issue they brought up was being claustrophobic and I couldn’t disagree.  If someone is bothered by limited spaces then cruising may not be for them.

Misconception: "My cabin AC isn't workingeven when I try turning the dial. It's probably broken."

Reality: Are you in a balcony cabin? Is the door to your balcony open, even a crack? Doing so will shut off the AC, and, depending on the ship, the AC in other nearby cabins, as well.

Yes and it really bugs me as I do this for a living: "there's nothing going on on a cruise ship"! 

It's clearly stated in your activity schedule that you get DAILY in your room (or at Guest Services), mentioned NUMEROUS times over the announcements, posted EVERYWHERE on the ship, is available in your app, or mentioned several times on the ship's TV channel, so to say that nothing is going on is not even remotely true. Now, whether or not it's something YOU'RE interested in is a different story.

It's up to YOU to seek out the activity. The staff is already busy, and it's expected that you'll find a way to seek out the groups. They've already provided several avenues for this, find one that works for you and do that.

Edited by broadwaybaby123
  • Like 1

On 12/9/2023 at 9:18 AM, Mary229 said:

My group actually had this discussion yesterday. The myth I defused is cruising is all about eating and drinking.  

I don't think this is a myth.  Not everyone of course, but eating and drinking is a very popular pastime on cruise ships.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I don't think this is a myth.  Not everyone of course, but eating and drinking is a very popular pastime on cruise ships.  

I don’t think one needs to be a foodie nor even concerned about the culinary experience to thoroughly enjoy a cruise.  If there is a decent salad bar and fresh fish I am pretty happy 

3 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I don’t think one needs to be a foodie nor even concerned about the culinary experience to thoroughly enjoy a cruise.  If there is a decent salad bar and fresh fish I am pretty happy 

Of course not.  It is not necessary to be a foodie or to consume alcohol to enjoy a cruise.   What I said was eating and drinking are popular pastimes for many who take cruises.   That isn't a myth.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

It is highly unlikely that you will get ANY fresh fish on most cruise ships- almost always frozen.

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

Of course not.  It is not necessary to be a foodie or to consume alcohol to enjoy a cruise.   What I said was eating and drinking are popular pastimes for many who take cruises.   That isn't a myth.  

That wasnt the gist of the conversation.  I was trying to be a bit polite but that went over like a lead balloon.  Let’s rephrase to what was said - food obsession

Edited by Mary229
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

That wasnt the gist of the conversation.  I was trying to be a bit polite but that went over like a lead balloon.  Let’s rephrase to what was said - food obsession

Got it!  🙂

19 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

It is highly unlikely that you will get ANY fresh fish on most cruise ships- almost always frozen.

19 hours ago, Mary229 said:

And there the food obsession rears its ugly head. 

12 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

What is that supposed to mean? I simply mentioned the fact that you were not likely to be served fresh fish on a cruise ship?

OK, I thought we were referencing eating too much.  The term "food obsession" must mean something else, otherwise I'm completely lost here.     

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ldubs said:

OK, I thought we were referencing eating too much.  The term "food obsession" must mean something else, otherwise I'm completely lost here.     

It is the obsession.   No mention of fruits and vegetables being not fresh.  Please notice the amount of threads that occur on CC in relation to food.  Not just about gluttony but the picking apart the minutiae.   I must have been wrong and you right as I told my companions that food is not that significant, obviously it is.  

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

It is the obsession.   No mention of fruits and vegetables being not fresh.  Please notice the amount of threads that occur on CC in relation to food.  Not just about gluttony but the picking apart the minutiae.   I must have been wrong and you right as I told my companions that food is not that significant, obviously it is.  

Many live to eat, some eat to live. There is a difference.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I wasn't arguing or trying to be right.   I simply don't understand your response about food obsession rearing its ugly head in this case.   

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

I suspect that the “food obsession” remark was a comment  regarding my mentioning that fresh fish is not likely to be served on a cruise ship, in response to a poster who said that salad and fresh fish was all that was needed.

interesting how threads get frayed.

1 minute ago, navybankerteacher said:

I suspect that the “food obsession” remark was a comment  regarding my mentioning that fresh fish is not likely to be served on a cruise ship, in response to a poster who said that salad and fresh fish was all that was needed.

interesting how threads get frayed.

I understood that.  I just can't see the connection.  But then a lot of things just whoosh right over my head.  

I thought that this discussion was to mention the "Misconceptions" not debate them.  

If one feels that fresh fish is not available on a ship then that is their misconception to own whether correct or not.

I think that food is a major part of people's misconceptions because food is so subjective to culture, upbringing, exposure, and personal taste.

Just my opinion and with no offence intended to anyone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

I thought that this discussion was to mention the "Misconceptions" not debate them.  

If one feels that fresh fish is not available on a ship then that is their misconception to own whether correct or not.

I think that food is a major part of people's misconceptions because food is so subjective to culture, upbringing, exposure, and personal taste.

Just my opinion and with no offence intended to anyone.

I think when we say food is subjective what we are really saying is personal tastes/preferences are subjective.  

BTW, you mentioned upbringing.  Being made to eat okra when I was a child has had a lasting impression -- I hate that stuff!  😀

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, john watson said:

A colleague at work mentioned I do go on cruises but said she, unfortunately could not do so because she was not a strong swimmer. When I told her I was a non-swimmer she was astounded. I still cannot find any logic in this.

Regards John

I hesitate to say this but someone very close to me went and took swimming lessons before their first cruise. 

To them, this was a requirement for self preservation and safety in case of a disaster.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

I hesitate to say this but someone very close to me went and took swimming lessons before their first cruise. 

To them, this was a requirement for self preservation and safety in case of a disaster.

I wonder if they won't ride in an airplane because they can't fly.🤔

• Haha 5

Misconception:  "My cabin bathroom smells bad, and I'm sure there's nothing that can be done about it".

Reality:  Find the little drain in the bathroom floor - not the one in the shower - and pour a glass or two of tap water into it.  If it dried out because no one flooded the floor recently, it can develop an odor.  We do the water trick at the start of every cruise now.

• Like 3