No More Made to Order Omelette

Gamecock_Cruiser

8 hours ago, 4hunters said:

Good grief, Carnival.  I used to be a supporter and regular customer, but how many cuts are you going to try to make until you discover what the market will bear?  Meanwhile your product is suffering irrevocably damage, IMHO.  

As long as boats continue to sail at capacity they show no signs of reining in the cuts/increases.  I do wonder if it will catch up to them or if this is simply the way the market works now.

9 hours ago, bg2310 said:

Certainly no problem in that! I guess all im saying is even had they removed it, it shouldnt necessarily be a deal breaker especially if you can still get them at the Lido.

But I can say having just sailed 2 months ago they still do omelets made to order in the MDR! I even ordered one for breakfast one day on that cruise.

Perhaps you can no longer create your own, but there were the 3 options in the pics jam posted above to choose from. I'm sure the waiter would have no problem modifying one of them in some way, such as no ham or something.

I was politely refused the ability to order a custom omelet by my waitress. My only option to customize was what type of cheese I would like. Cheddar or mozzarella. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Frank12 said:

Just had the same 3 choices on Liberty.  You can get ham added to the veggie if you want meat, but no more mushrooms or bacon.😪

There are 4 choices, there is a Spanish omelet hiding under the Eggs Any Style section. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, TiredTrucker said:

As long as boats continue to sail at capacity they show no signs of reining in the cuts/increases.  I do wonder if it will catch up to them or if this is simply the way the market works now.

It's the way markets have always worked. All that really matters is am I receiving a good value for my vacation dollar. Until that answer is no I'll continue to sail with them. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

It's the way markets have always worked. All that really matters is am I receiving a good value for my vacation dollar. Until that answer is no I'll continue to sail with them. 

Thing is: The European lines, like Aida, Costa and MSC are now better priced, have better food and service and far less rowdy behaviour. Costa and Aida belong to the same group as Carnival, I am aware, but their product is ( in some aspects far) superiour and cheaper, and they have the same class of ships. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Despegue said:

Thing is: The European lines, like Aida, Costa and MSC are now better priced, have better food and service and far less rowdy behaviour. Costa and Aida belong to the same group as Carnival, I am aware, but their product is ( in some aspects far) superiour and cheaper, and they have the same class of ships. 

Seems easy then, if you feel that way, go sail them.  I certainly would not choose a line (oship) because of what is offered on a SEA DAY BRUNCH MENU. That frankly never enticed me anyway, but that is me.  Costa is not superior to Carnival (and I know they are owned byt the same parent company as are 6 others) in ANY aspect IMHO.  We tried MSC once when they came over to “take over” and frankly was the worst cruise experience we had up till that point.  Not tempted to try again, you can have my slot. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, jam19872016 said:

A month ago so did I 😞. Bacon and mushrooms though since I don't like ham. Actually come to think of it, they were out of mushrooms. 

I think we must have been on the same cruise... Freedom TA?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Despegue said:

As with anything else I've read mixed reviews and when I've been in the market to book haven't found a cruise with them that was the same or cheaper. Carnival still meets my needs so I have no qualms booking with them at all. (I will book cruises with other cruise lines if the price is right, which means equal to or less than a comparable Carnival cruise.)

ETA: So I looked at those three options for Feb of 2025, which is when we have another cruise booked with Carnival. First, none of those companies cruise out of the US which means I would have to fly to a Caribbean Island to take the cruise. Second, of the two I was able to do a faux booking for (MSC and Costa) MSC was less because it included the drink package, but Costa was more. A lot would depend on how much the airfare was to those islands but we'll see.

Edited by sparks1093
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

As with anything else I've read mixed reviews and when I've been in the market to book haven't found a cruise with them that was the same or cheaper. Carnival still meets my needs so I have no qualms booking with them at all. (I will book cruises with other cruise lines if the price is right, which means equal to or less than a comparable Carnival cruise.)

ETA: So I looked at those three options for Feb of 2025, which is when we have another cruise booked with Carnival. First, none of those companies cruise out of the US which means I would have to fly to a Caribbean Island to take the cruise. Second, of the two I was able to do a faux booking for (MSC and Costa) MSC was less because it included the drink package, but Costa was more. A lot would depend on how much the airfare was to those islands but we'll see.

Too late to edit but in looking at airfare any savings on the cruise would disappear in paying more for flights. Oh well.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TiredTrucker said:

They will start losing business to land based vacations eventually.

I could stay at an ocean front, all-inclusive (including alcohol and airfare) in Cozumel on the same dates for less than what we're paying for an interior cabin with no extras on Mardi Gras in February.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aborgman said:

They will start losing business to land based vacations eventually.

I could stay at an ocean front, all-inclusive (including alcohol and airfare) in Cozumel on the same dates for less than what we're paying for an interior cabin with no extras on Mardi Gras in February.

They may or may not lose repeat customers but as long as they are sailing full it's all the same to them. Whenever I've looked at an AI it's always come out more than a cruise but it may be the dates I'm choosing.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

They may or may not lose repeat customers but as long as they are sailing full it's all the same to them. Whenever I've looked at an AI it's always come out more than a cruise but it may be the dates I'm choosing.

In the past whenever I've looked at an AI, it's almost always come out as more than a cruise - even when you include the additional hundreds of dollars of alcohol costs on the cruise.

...but after looking over the last 6-8 months, it appears that has changed.

• Like 2

Back of the napkin, a week at Sandals Nassau for two is about $5k give or take for September next year, plus airfare.

Just the room on the Carnival Liberty out of NOLA is about $4k. Plus airfare, plus air transfers, plus elevated food and drink, plus excursions, plus gratuities.

Granted the cruise goes to Nassau, Freeport, and Key West. At Sandals you're in Nassau for the week, but with all your excursions etc included that's not so bad. 

Cruises are not cheaper than AIs anymore folks...

Edited by mz-s
  • Like 3

52 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Back of the napkin, a week at Sandals Nassau for two is about $5k give or take for September next year, plus airfare.

Just the room on the Carnival Liberty out of NOLA is about $4k. Plus airfare, plus air transfers, plus elevated food and drink, plus excursions, plus gratuities.

Granted the cruise goes to Nassau, Freeport, and Key West. At Sandals you're in Nassau for the week, but with all your excursions etc included that's not so bad. 

Cruises are not cheaper than AIs anymore folks...

...and the food at Sandals is significantly better, and alcohol is included in the all inclusive.

• Like 1

We do not attend sea day brunches.

I never go to the buffet, with one exception.  I love the omelette stations.  Last cruise I'd get an omelette made to order every morning and take it up to my Loft.

omel.JPG

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, aborgman said:

...and the food at Sandals is significantly better, and alcohol is included in the all inclusive.

Not just alcohol but you can get meat with a bone in it at Sandals without paying extra. Sodas. Free WiFi (no club card needed!).

AIs really are owning the work from anywhere monied millennial market right now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

I certainly would not choose a line (oship) because of what is offered on a SEA DAY BRUNCH MENU. 

There's also more dimensions to this. People act like sea day brunch is boxed cereal and bagels now. I'd be willing to bet more half of the people complaining (probably higher) about this never ordered this in the first place. I know there's plenty of people racing to their keyboards after that statement to inform me "that I need to listen as to why the removal of the option has ruined cruising for them."

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

While this doesn't effect me much, my wife, when we do go to the dining room for bfast, will be bummed by this. But the seaday brunch is such a mess with crowds we usually only do the mdr for bfast on debarkation.

Never the less, it's only a matter of time before an increase and or cut effects each of us. I am disappointed by these moves because it seems every time I stop in on CC, there is another cut\increase announced. Just watched Cruise Radio video and all Carnival specialty dining is going up.

Well, the drink package increase was a bummer for me but we can largely absorb that. I am waiting until they have a fee to use the fitness facility. If that happens, I may look elsewhere for west coast cruises. *I did love Bliss out of San Pedro.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

...I know there's plenty of people racing to their keyboards after that statement to inform me "that I need to listen as to why the removal of the option has ruined cruising for them."

When they dropped Gravlax - that was it for me (I really dislike the MDR to begin with - so I need a reason to go there).  😉

Tom

20 hours ago, bg2310 said:

News flash! You can be disappointed without being all extra about it.

I've never heard "extra" used the way you're using it. I get the gist from the context though. Maybe it's a Colorado thing. Or a young person thing.

Strange the don't have a Western omelet. They are pretty standard and I'd think would be one of the 3. Can't be they wanted an option for for vegans because they wouldn't eat eggs, right?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, RoperDK said:

I think the disappointment comes from long term cruisers that have seen too many cuts along with too many price increases.  Singularly it's not a problem, but all together it lessens the product. Something akin to the straw that broke the camel's back.    

And that's totally fair! I only started cruising this year so I cannot be aware of what all Carnival used to provide, but does so no longer in the cost of one's cruise fare.

In any case, I'm only referring to one's omelets options in the MDR only. :classic_smile:

12 hours ago, TiredTrucker said:

No made to order omelets, no mushrooms, no homemade fries, limited bacon, no more free room service,  limited housekeeping, and on and on and on... at what point is it OK for a person to express disappointment? 🤔 

To be fair, I was specifically referring to those who were being a little extra acting as if their omelete options really matter that much in the grand scheme of their overall vacation.

I wasn't referring to everyone expressing disappointment about it, nor did I say anywhere people don't get to be disappointed about all of Carnival's cuts over the years.

Honestly, where is this coming from? What with the other knee-jerk reaction to my comment. Sounds like a lot of assumptions going on about what I said, as well as just evident overall sensitivity. Aah well, what can you do. 

• Like 1