No More Made to Order Omelette

Gamecock_Cruiser

26 minutes ago, Colorado Beach Bum said:

I get the MDR choices to speed up service - and maybe force less people there.  But lido makes no sense as you are standing right there and makes no difference in speed of service.  I don’t buy the prep aspect.  So much food is already prepared and this will just cause more prep in other areas as it’s not like people aren’t going to eat if they don’t get an omelette. 

My guess is they have plans to move to pre-made omelettes that are simply heated up as they're ordered - allowing them to save on the most expensive resource in the world - which contrary to Carnival's belief is not bacon (labor).

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Colorado Beach Bum said:

I get the MDR choices to speed up service - and maybe force less people there.  But lido makes no sense as you are standing right there and makes no difference in speed of service.  I don’t buy the prep aspect.  So much food is already prepared and this will just cause more prep in other areas as it’s not like people aren’t going to eat if they don’t get an omelette. 

And the people in line for an omelet clearly see the number of people in front of them and can decide for themselves if it's worth the wait and/or look for a shorter line at another omelet station.  It's not like if you order a custom omelet in the MDR and you have no idea how backed up the kitchen is.

If Carnival actually cared about long lines at made-to-order stations at the Lido they'd do something about the Mongolian Wok.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, mz-s said:

My guess is they have plans to move to pre-made omelettes that are simply heated up as they're ordered - allowing them to save on the most expensive resource in the world - which contrary to Carnival's belief is not bacon (labor).

But think about how much they could save by eliminating made-to-order omelettes AND bacon as an option to put in your omelette. 

11 minutes ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

But think about how much they could save by eliminating made-to-order omelettes AND bacon as an option to put in your omelette. 

Christine Duffy better watch out, you're nipping at her heels.

What's the difference between the Carnival buffet and the hospital cafeteria at this point.

Edited by mz-s
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Christine Duffy better watch out, you're nipping at her heels.

What's the difference between the Carnival buffet and the hospital cafeteria at this point.

I sail Celebrity, Royal, MSC, Virgin, Princess, NCL(currently on the brand new Viva) and Carnival by far has the worst buffet of all the mainstream cruise lines. Celebrity's E-Class ships would rank the best. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

I sail Celebrity, Royal, MSC, Virgin, Princess, NCL(currently on the brand new Viva) and Carnival by far has the worst buffet of all the mainstream cruise lines. Celebrity's E-Class ships would rank the best. 

yes i agree. carnival buffet is always the worse with limited selections compare to the huge buffet on royal and norwegian .

carnival buffet is same thing as the mdr whereas on other cruise lines the buffet dinner is completely different then the mdr

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RoperDK said:

We've only cruised 2 times on Carnival since the restart.  Both on Mardi Gras.  Ship is beautiful.  Service and food okay.  We are on Spirit out of Mobile in February.  We love Spirit class and are going with an open mind to see how we feel about Carnival at this time.  We've been cruising Royal lately, too, but their prices are hard to take right now.  I hope that Royal keeps cruising out of NOLA.  We are already booked with them there and will probably book more if they keep coming to NOLA.  Each cruise line has pros and cons and I wish some posters here had a more open mind about others' opinions. Everyone's opinion is valid and gives others input to use in planning their cruises.   

🤔  

True enough.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kwokpot said:

Cold day in hades when I pick a cruise line for lido or even compare lido’s.  For the record, Windjammer in Oasis was the worst we ever had.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mz-s said:

Wait, I can feel a walmart line coming.  

Edited by jimbo5544

48 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Cold day in hades when I pick a cruise line for lido or even compare lido’s.  For the record, Windjammer in Oasis was the worst we ever had.

We can differ on opinions about the quality of cruise line buffets but I don't understand why one can't discuss and compare buffets across different cruiselines. No one implied the buffet is the determining factor in choosing a cruiseline but you seem to say you can't even make comparisons? I don't care for Carnival's buffet but that doesn't mean I won't sail them. I have two scheduled for next year and spent 30 days on the Luminosa in September/October which was my 27th Carnival cruise. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, kwokpot said:

We can differ on opinions about the quality of cruise line buffets but I don't understand why one can't discuss and compare buffets across different cruiselines. No one implied the buffet is the determining factor in choosing a cruiseline but you seem to say you can't even make comparisons? I don't care for Carnival's buffet but that doesn't mean I won't sail them. I have two scheduled for next year and spent 30 days on the Luminosa in September/October which was my 27th Carnival cruise. 

Did I say your opinion does not count or we could not discuss it?  I really do not have a dog in this fight, lido food is ….lido food. I actually did a fair amount of barking on the topic are well.  You posted on which you thought was best (line wise), and the worst,  My post was that it was/is really low on the list and one of the “favs” (in general) Oasis I thought was akin to a high school lunch line.  

There are some bashers here who are doing what they do, every topic, every experience the worst etc etc, but again that is fine,

• Haha 1

On 12/8/2023 at 8:13 PM, jimbo5544 said:

I can imagine that adding 3 different items really slows down the process……not.  Fairly disappointing.

On 12/9/2023 at 6:05 AM, sparks1093 said:

It's not the adding 3 different items that slows the process down, it's the prep of all of the items and having them available- it takes time to prep everything (which means someone has to do it) and it costs money to have all of the different items available. I can definitely see a bean counter saying "we can save 2 staff hours a day by limiting the number of options, that's 730 staff hours per year, per ship" etc. If I want an omelet going forward it is likely to be a veggie omelet with an order of ham and sausage on the side.

When I first heard of this change in the dining room, it sounded line a pure efficiency change. While it is still probably some of that, expanding it to Lido was definitely some bean counter trying to save money. Have you ever watched people at the omelet station? Loading their omelet with every side, especially meats, and then they throw away half of it anyways. Prepping all of those side is time-consuming and costly. Especially all those meats.

This is one of the few changes that truly disappointments me. No, not because I have FOMO and need to have the option of any possibility I want. No, I won't stop cruising because "omg one more thing." It actually is most disappointing because the options are weak. I love omelets and can't remember the last time I ordered one of those three choices. Ham and cheese as the premier omelet choice is tacky. I suspect this is one of those changes that is not in its final form yet. 

• Like 2

Reminds me of when Carnival released the "brilliant" new deli sandwich menu of microwaved frozen pre-made sandwiches and chips. People were pissed because it's disgusting food, and JH convinced "the beards" to serve us Ore Ida fries instead of potato chips and acted like he was doing us a favor.

The point is they might bring back one option just to throw us a bone, but this change will absolutely not be reverted. I wouldn't be surprised if the omelette station isn't completely gone soon, replaced with pre-made omelette looking objects on the slop line.

I am one that loves made-to-order omelettes. It is just a nice thing about vacation. I don't have all those ingredients sitting around my house. 

I usually cruise Royal and will be disappointed if they disappear there. They had pre-made ones at the buffet on my last cruise which was on MSC and they were pretty awful. (You could get made--to-order in the MDR.) 

My next cruise is on the Venezia. Hoping for made-to-order but doesn't sound like it based on comments here.

And this is why food is subjective.  I actually quite like the Reuben at the Carnival deli, and think Carnival's buffet is hands down better than RCI.  Was on the Wonder in November, and the buffet, while set up well, had mostly cold, flavorless food.  And that's RCI's newest ship right now.

• Like 1

Perhaps I was just not sufficiently observant - but years ago (decade+ ?) they didn't offer Eggs Benedict at the buffet. So, from my perspective at least, I'm pleased that that was added. Having said that - PLEASE DON'T TAKE MY EGGS BENEDICT AWAY (hearing Paul Simon in my head now)...

Tom

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Perhaps I was just not sufficiently observant - but years ago (decade+ ?) they didn't offer Eggs Benedict at the buffet. So, from my perspective at least, I'm pleased that that was added. Having said that - PLEASE DON'T TAKE MY EGGS BENEDICT AWAY (hearing Paul Simon in my head now)...

Tom

I actually prefer those to an omelet. It always amazes me that they can be runny in the middle after being in the warmer. I don't recall seeing them on our Pride sailing in 2012 (first time on CCL) and can't remember when they first appeared but I do like the option. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mz-s said:

Reminds me of when Carnival released the "brilliant" new deli sandwich menu of microwaved frozen pre-made sandwiches and chips. People were pissed because it's disgusting food, and JH convinced "the beards" to serve us Ore Ida fries instead of potato chips and acted like he was doing us a favor.

The point is they might bring back one option just to throw us a bone, but this change will absolutely not be reverted. I wouldn't be surprised if the omelette station isn't completely gone soon, replaced with pre-made omelette looking objects on the slop line.

Not all of the deli menu is pre made.  Some of the items they make when ordered.  The steak sandwich is premade.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joebucks said:

When I first heard of this change in the dining room, it sounded line a pure efficiency change. While it is still probably some of that, expanding it to Lido was definitely some bean counter trying to save money. Have you ever watched people at the omelet station? Loading their omelet with every side, especially meats, and then they throw away half of it anyways. Prepping all of those side is time-consuming and costly. Especially all those meats.

This is one of the few changes that truly disappointments me. No, not because I have FOMO and need to have the option of any possibility I want. No, I won't stop cruising because "omg one more thing." It actually is most disappointing because the options are weak. I love omelets and can't remember the last time I ordered one of those three choices. Ham and cheese as the premier omelet choice is tacky. I suspect this is one of those changes that is not in its final form yet. 

Totally agree

52 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

PLEASE DON'T TAKE MY EGGS BENEDICT AWAY (hearing Paul Simon in my head now)...

I actually have never ordered an omelette on Carnival, but I have eaten my fair share of Eggs Benedict. In the MDR, I order them without meat and get a side of bacon. Their hollandaise is always fresh and surprisingly pretty darn tasty. Next time I may order a cheese omelette just to try one.

Edited by Sea Raven
Adding more
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mz-s said:

Well they took fríes away, at least on Mardi Gras and Valor in the last 3 months.  All I wanted was a side of fríes after Guy's had closed, but no such luck.