Is The Chair Hogging Dilemma Unsolvable?

harryw

11 minutes ago, edgee said:

at least threaten and possibly got some settlement from O's deep pockets

Very possibly. Many years back, part of my work responsibilities were to deal with small claims made against my employer ( the local council). Unless it was a very blatant attempt at a con, then it was often quicker/cheaper/easier to offer a small settlement rather than get into a long tangle over getting the claimant to actually prove they had suffered loss.

Can you actually prove you had that camera, Mr Cruiser, which you claim we removed from your lounger and lost? Even if you can somehow prove that you did have a camera, where is the evidence that it was our crew member who removed and lost it, rather than some thieving passenger who take advantage of your own stupidity leaving it on your lounger. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Harters said:

Very possibly. Many years back, part of my work responsibilities were to deal with small claims made against my employer ( the local council). Unless it was a very blatant attempt at a con, then it was often quicker/cheaper/easier to offer a small settlement rather than get into a long tangle over getting the claimant to actually prove they had suffered loss.

Can you actually prove you had that camera, Mr Cruiser, which you claim we removed from your lounger and lost? Even if you can somehow prove that you did have a camera, where is the evidence that it was our crew member who removed and lost it, rather than some thieving passenger who take advantage of your own stupidity leaving it on your lounger. 

One must add jurisdiction to the mix. Just because Oceania has an office in Miami doesn’t mean lawsuits on foreign flagged vessels while at sea can be brought there. You’re not in Kansas anymore Dorothy! Of course, this closely follows people talking about the ADA while visiting the pyramids in Egypt or other such sites. 🙄

1 hour ago, edgee said:

Sure you can hypothesize that this well connected officer would lie to my face. However,  I would be willing to bet that one of those Miami based plaintif law firms that specializes in going against cruise lines was only too eager to at least threaten and possibly got some settlement from O's deep pockets..thus the reason O gives for non enforcement.

They have tons of fine print in their cruise contract to keep them from getting sued. Seems a no-brainer to include another sentence about the cruise line not being responsible for personal items left unattended in public spaces. 

• Like 1

Chair hogging was rampant on Vista 1/9/24 cruise.  Went to reception and asked about it.  They said that you cannot touch another person’s property.  You can only touch ship property like library books.  You can move ship books. Good luck.

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

I personally believe the story by the ship’s personnel is hogwash. Exactly what court was this supposed lawsuit, for an incident at sea, brought? Too many of the incidents of valuables being left seem fake. To me, it’s all just another example of Oceania not choosing to enforce its own policies. Outlandish stories about lawsuits don’t change that.

Perhaps the key is that Oceania employees can’t remove personal items from unattended chairs without opening themselves up to liability for those items. But that doesn’t mean other cruise passengers can’t move the items. Sounds like Oceania is hoping the issue will resolve itself. 

On 2/1/2024 at 10:03 AM, malony33 said:

Has anyone done the dreadful deed of removing belongings that have been occupying a chaise by themselves for, well, a while? Of course before doing so, you could perhaps ask nearby folks if they've seen any passengers using the chaise in a reasonable time period.

I have cruised on other lines and taken books, sun screen, towels, etc. from a chair; oddly, not ONCE did anyone show up, either to claim the chair or their stuff - they were gone!!

So, fellow cruisers, who among you has been so bold as to TAKE A CHAIR from another passenger who was MIA? What was the result? Have you done so on Oceania?

I think this is a very reasonable approach. If the person has not been in the pool area for more than 30 minutes, I would have no qualms about removing their items. The more this behavior is tolerated, the worse it will get. According to other posts on this topic, Oceania feels exposed to liability if one of their employees moves the items. Guess it will be up to fellow cruise passengers to reign in this emotionally immature practice. 

12 minutes ago, Wheelhouse said:

Hi David.  Then why are all the people in this thread complaining?  

Just walked by pool area and lots of places to both lay and sit

Have no idea why the complaints

Id much prefer gratitude 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Wheelhouse said:

Then why are all the people in this thread complaining?  

4 minutes ago, Waltershipman said:

Have no idea why the complaints

You both new around these parts? 🙃

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, LaZ-Day said:

But that doesn’t mean other cruise passengers can’t move the items.

Exactly. Why not set up an out of the way table for passengers to leave those items with some kind of sign.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, harryw said:

Ya know…the Vista needs a new Sheriff in town…to clean up

the chair hog lawlessness. Vintage Clint Eastwood would take care of it. 

I've long had a goal to be "Czarina of the Universe." I could add this.

• Haha 1

Not related to an apparent issues on Vista, but I am just off Regent Voyager on a TA where it was very very hot during the majority of the crossing. There were people on the pool deck laying claim to shaded sunbeds from 5.45 am (I am an early riser as were most of the other smokers and we sat and enjoyed the show early every morning). By 6.15am if you hadn’t claimed something in the shade you were out of luck - it did lead to some undesirable behaviour. 

I never went near the sun til after 3pm and there were plenty of loungers by then.

Regent put one vague message on a board on the deck one day but it made little difference and several messages in the daily sheet didn’t help either. Until the cruiselines specify a set of rules that are devoid of vagueness and empower their employees to deal with this issue it’s not going to go away,   

3 hours ago, harryw said:

That would look great on your resume.

My first accomplishment in my CotU will be to remove all bins for overhead containers on airplanes! And my plans for professional sports has brought my husband almost to tears 🙂

1 hour ago, Harters said:

Do you feel lucky today, hog.

Funny!

There was a Columbo episode involving a

murder on a cruise ship. But didn’t  involve a hog.

On 1/17/2024 at 10:35 AM, true45 said:

We always get to theater super early to get a seat on the aisle so dh can get to restroom quickly.

We're often asked to move in and would rather not explain why we would rather not.

we do move out to the aisle to let others in the row.

I try not to judge - we don’t always know the reasons.

We've had that problem as well. We just tell them go around us.

• Like 1

Ok. We got off our Vista trip this Wed. & did a few days in Key West & one day back in Miami.Got home a couple of hours ago. What we saw for 12 days was typical. Lots of chair hogs(to the point the CD did a rather terse reminder about it) We solved it 2 ways.Pax usually hog chairs & go eat lunch. We just removed their belongings to the tops of the pool towel bins & took our spots.Not one person said anything(how lucky for them LOL) The other thing was we were Concierge & generally stayed in Aqua Terrace. Next year my spouse booked a suite & we'll likely enjoy our loungers on our deck at times.

On 1/16/2024 at 10:49 AM, Medeba said:

We had an extended balcony in Concierge on Sirena and two lounge chairs were supplied when I asked (but this was in 2017). It was a bit cramped with the other balcony furniture but we managed.  No harm in asking.

They said no.No big deal.

• Like 1