Is The Chair Hogging Dilemma Unsolvable?

harryw

1 hour ago, jackdeb said:

I would like to see the lounge hogs keel-hauled not just walk the plank!☠️😂

…on a cruise stop in Tahiti.

• Like 2

My spouse has tossed "clips" of some of these pax. If he sees them reserve them while he is on the deck & they are gone for an hour or more the clips get tossed & the belongings get dropped on top of the pool towel boxes. If we want a lounger, we'll not waste too much time.We'll usually have a few drinks a few dips in the pool & then vacate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My spouse has tossed "clips" of some of these pax.

Is this like a carefully aimed rubberband at the concert-goer who blocks your view at a concert - especially aimed at that the person in the front row that stands for the whole show?? Haven't resorted to this yet, but do think about it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Someone with status needs to tell people “no chair lounge for you!”  You cannot leave your belongings by themselves, or those will be moved after 45 minutes, period!  Be consistent and fair or this will continue...yes, TBC!  Have an area where items can be recovered...🤷‍♀️

Edited by Lastdance
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, goletans said:

My spouse has tossed "clips" of some of these pax.

Is this like a carefully aimed rubberband at the concert-goer who blocks your view at a concert - especially aimed at that the person in the front row that stands for the whole show?? Haven't resorted to this yet, but do think about it.

Not at the pax. Just tosses them in the trash. Though, Keith says he likes your thinking😆 For those who claim how rude to toss someone's belongings, we're talking about  less than 50 cents here.

Edited by rbtan
additions
  • Haha 1

Pool hours are listed in Currents, and I assume this is the time that the staff starts to take drink orders at the pool, and tend to towels, etc. If the pool hours start at 0900, the arriving staff should remove anything that is on the loungers with no people on them, especially if there is no one in the pool.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2024 at 9:27 AM, mnocket said:

I would hate that!  My goal in vacationing is to relax and be free from schedules that dominate daily life. I don't like fixed dining times and I sure wouldn't like to have scheduled sunbed times.  Just goes to show that no solution will please everyone😁

I would absolute LOVE this!  How difficult is it to figure out what time one would like to use the sunbed?  Vacation or no vacation, deciding when to visit the subbed does not take anything away from the vacation, it actually enhances your relaxation knowing you won't have to deal with the chair hogs!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lastdance said:

Someone with status needs to tell people “no chair lounge for you!”  You cannot leave your belongings by themselves, or those will be moved after 45 minutes, period!  Be consistent and fair or this will continue...yes, TBC!  Have an area where items can be recovered...🤷‍♀️

Maybe transgressors should wear a Scarlet Letter! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I was reading earlier in the thread about people playing their bluetooth speakers in public places.

I'm a little late to this party... but we've just booked our first cruise so I'm avidly reading all the boards here at CC...

I'm autistic and can't stand music in certain situations. My DH has been known to (very politely) ask people to turn off the sound or use headphones and they have always complied. I find it strange that no one would do this in these circumstances?

Edited by PoppyVelvet
Clarify what I'm talking about :)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, PoppyVelvet said:

I was reading earlier in the thread about people playing their bluetooth speakers in public places.

I'm a little late to this party... but we've just booked our first cruise so I'm avidly reading all the boards here at CC...

I'm autistic and can't stand music in certain situations. My DH has been known to (very politely) ask people to turn off the sound or use headphones and they have always complied. I find it strange that no one would do this in these circumstances?

I have to say that we've not heard speakers being used on board.

• Like 3

I've heard them, right out in front of the bar on one of the R ships. Fellow seemed to think everyone needed to hear his playlist. Unfortunately, most of it was rap & hip-hop. Obviously he really wasn't Oceania material on more than one front. 

No one said anything to him. 

7 hours ago, ORV said:

I've heard them, right out in front of the bar on one of the R ships. Fellow seemed to think everyone needed to hear his playlist. Unfortunately, most of it was rap & hip-hop. Obviously he really wasn't Oceania material on more than one front. 

No one said anything to him. 

My spouse certainly would have, if it was loud.

• Like 1

On 4/15/2024 at 1:09 AM, PoppyVelvet said:

I'm autistic and can't stand music in certain situations. 

They do play middle of the road music around the pool, but I can’t say it’s at a level that I’ve found intrusive.  They also have live music around the pool at times (depending on destination) just so you’re aware. 

11 minutes ago, Tr1v1alCru1ser said:

They do play middle of the road music around the pool, but I can’t say it’s at a level that I’ve found intrusive.  They also have live music around the pool at times (depending on destination) just so you’re aware. 

On our Vista cruise, I found the poolside song rotation too repetitive.

Maybe there are copyright / royalty issues.

Towels are pretty light weight. I have never seen one too heavy to move off a lounge chair before. I have no issue in finding a chair and moving a towel. 

• Haha 1

Ah the world of cruising where one feels that their obnoxious behavior is perfectly fine while attacking someone else's obnoxious behavior.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, KarlK said:

Towels are pretty light weight. I have never seen one too heavy to move off a lounge chair before. I have no issue in finding a chair and moving a towel. 

Nor would I. Easy peasy.

1 hour ago, TRLD said:

Ah the world of cruising where one feels that their obnoxious behavior is perfectly fine while attacking someone else's obnoxious behavior.

So only one was obnoxious?

16 hours ago, Tr1v1alCru1ser said:

That’s ok. MOR is t my first choice but it’s reasonably inoffensive. Thanks for your response

18 hours ago, harryw said:

On our Vista cruise, I found the poolside song rotation too repetitive.

Repetitive wasnt a problem on our recent Vista cruise. We didnt really stay long enough for it to become annoying. I don't like background music at the best of times, so may be prejudiced here. But I found the sound level irritating - loud enough to be obtrusive, not loud enough so I could properly hear what was being played. 

• 2 weeks later...

Chair hogs have never presented a problem for me.  If I see an empty lounger for a while and nobody using it - I'm next!  When somebody comes back an hour later, they just pick up their stuff and move on.  I've never seen an argument where a chair hog returned after a while.  I do think going to lunch at the MDR or buffet and leaving your stuff on the chair is being a chair hog.  You're either at the pool or in a restaurant.  You can't be in both places at the same time.

• Like 4