Is The Chair Hogging Dilemma Unsolvable?

harryw

22 hours ago, rbtan said:

We've had that problem as well. We just tell them go around us.

That's really incredible. I've never had that happen in a real theater. Plays, music, ballet, etc.

The most incredible incident happened on a Royal Caribbean cruise. A woman and a nurse wheeled a gurney down the center aisle of the theater to around the fourth row. The woman asked the person in the aisle seat to get up for her. The person refused and she started yelling. The man on the gurney looked comatose. It was at the very least a fire hazard. After booing from the audience, two security guards removed them. At first I thought it was part of the show. Bizarre but totally true! 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Treasure Hunter said:

The most incredible incident happened on a Royal Caribbean cruise. A woman and a nurse wheeled a gurney down the center aisle of the theater to around the fourth row. The woman asked the person in the aisle seat to get up for her. The person refused and she started yelling. The man on the gurney looked comatose. It was at the very least a fire hazard. After booing from the audience, two security guards removed them. At first I thought it was part of the show. Bizarre but totally true! 

Gurney? As in lay flat stretcher like an ambulance uses?

5 hours ago, Treasure Hunter said:

It’s shows the extremes of entitlement 

I cannot resist telling my true "entitlement" story.  Once upon a time we were on a HAL cruise (think...floating assisted living center) and I was waiting in a queue of about 10 folks to have eggs benedict made at the Lido.  An elderly lady (everyone in the queue were seniors including moi) simply pushed in front of the line and turned to us and said, "its OK, I am old."  I could not resist and said, "the line for the old folks is at the back!"  A few others actually clapped and the red-faced lady did move to the rear of the line.

Hank

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

When I was young, I used to be appalled at the rudeness of some elderly people and hoped that, as I aged, I wouldnt become like them. Of course, as I  got older, I realised that it wasnt an age thing - some folk have always been bloody rude. 

• Like 12

No hogs so far; sea day plenty of spots. Lots or nooks and crannies with spots. Perhaps timing matters. Usually when school or work is out Caribbean cruises get a “different crowd.”  There have also been specific announcements about saving chairs but again so far plenty of spots. Sure if you want right by the pool there fill but there are so many spots on the new layout. Complainers gonna complain. FYI food thus far has been above what I remember on other Oceania cruises. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Just off of the Vista. We don't care for lying in the sun (we usually get enough in FL) so we don't look for loungers at the pool unless they in the shade. That said, we didn't have any issues with finding a spot for our belongings while we used the pool and hot tubs - the only acceptable time (along with getting a drink at the pool bar) to hold on to a chair. I did notice however, many more unoccupied loungers with belongings on them than there were people in the pool or tubs. 

Leslie the CD did announce, with gusto, several pleas for folks to not hog the chairs. If everyone would comply with vacating the chairs when they went for lunch or activities there would always be ample chairs available for when they returned - just not the one they were in! 

• Like 2

On Vista now past 10 days and sailing  7 day segment now. Much younger crowed.  No electronic scooters this time around. The new cabana set up I think was a mistake even though I take 2 lounges at 7:00 am and wait for the misses to arrive and then go to waves for breakfast 

Also no clocks at pool area and anywhere  else in the ship public areas.  .

1 hour ago, jazznruby said:

You seem proud to be labeled a chair hog. 🐖

you are 100% wrong I take a lounge stay on it and just leave for 20 min. to have breakfast and lunch. If we have an excursion we never take a lounge but look for one if we get back after lunch.Chairhogs are those who take lounges and go off on excursions or play bingo or trivia  and hog lounges

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Acrusa said:

you are 100% wrong I take a lounge stay on it and just leave for 20 min. to have breakfast and lunch. If we have an excursion we never take a lounge but look for one if we get back after lunch.Chairhogs are those who take lounges and go off on excursions or play bingo or trivia  and hog lounges

Well, I guess the term has never really been definitively defined in a measure of time away (20 minutes? 30 minutes? an hour?), but I think most who've chimed in here on the subject would agree that anyone who claims a chair and then leaves for any reason other than for a dip in the pool or a trip to the rest room or a quick trip to the bar to get a drink is a chair 🐷. And who eats breakfast or lunch in 20 minutes anyway? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, jazznruby said:

Well, I guess the term has never really been definitively defined in a measure of time away (20 minutes? 30 minutes? an hour?), but I think most who've chimed in here on the subject would agree that anyone who claims a chair and then leaves for any reason other than for a dip in the pool or a trip to the rest room or a quick trip to the bar to get a drink is a chair 🐷. And who eats breakfast or lunch in 20 minutes anyway? 

We are fast chewers. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, jazznruby said:

Can one grab a quick sandwich (breakfast or lunch) and eat it back by the pool in the lounge chair?

59 minutes ago, tropicalkerry2002 said:

I bring lunch to my lounger! And return dishes to Waves.

Years ago on O we we where instructed that they allowed 30 to 35 minutes for lunch or they removed your items from the lounge.

On Vista this week in waves only table service no more ordering at the counter

27 minutes ago, Acrusa said:

Years ago on O we we where instructed that they allowed 30 to 35 minutes for lunch or they removed your items from the lounge.

Im.home now sitting in my favorite chair. Thats great however no live band no multiple food venue choices no bar service nor ice cream choices.  Dang 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Acrusa said:

Would this change to table service at Waves be more efficient? 

On 2/14/2024 at 10:29 AM, harryw said:

Would this change to table service at Waves be more efficient? 

well it eliminated the long line standing to order youre meal. it's waiter service like in a restaurant. 

On 2/12/2024 at 10:03 PM, Acrusa said:

Ok....No one ever takes 20 min. to have breakfast or lunch. You reserve a lounge at 7AM & we are expected to believe you get everything done in 20 min? I've seen balony stories in my day & this is a good one. Basically anyone who leaves for 45 min. loses their right. to the chair. My spouse does a couple of tricks: Check the drink & see if its still cold or see if the chair is damp.If not he'll remove the books that most hogs swipe from the library & we'll move in. We did this several times on our Jan. 19 trip. People came back normally after we had been there nearly an hour. Not one said anything(good for them) We leave to do the following: Swim/rest room/relax. When we want food we just pack up & leave.We are not so rude as to bring food back to the chair. Nothing like seeing a mess where some slob spilled food on the lounger. Seen it a few times.. 

On 2/13/2024 at 2:04 PM, Acrusa said:

We really prefer the order system. It reduces sloppiness & hogging at the same time. We vacate when ordering from Waves. I'm not about to slog it down in order to get back to the chair.