Medallion Protective Sleeve?

Jingerwoppy

Someone asked this question in a different thread but it wasn't answered in the thread (at least as of my writing this).

With medallions being erroneously charged because they're in proximity to someone purchasing something such as a drink, has anyone begun using a protective RFID sleeve to prevent their medallion from being read erroneously? 

Thanks

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jingerwoppy said:

Someone asked this question in a different thread but it wasn't answered in the thread (at least as of my writing this).

With medallions being erroneously charged because they're in proximity to someone purchasing something such as a drink, has anyone begun using a protective RFID sleeve to prevent their medallion from being read erroneously? 

Thanks

Never had that problem.

• Like 1

We did have one time when a drink was erroneously charged to our bill. The charge was on the Mrs' medallion, who does not drink or go into the bars. We don't know how the charge got there.

Yes, a Faraday cage; a metal or mesh pouch, works, but it would be a hassle in other ways.

The charge was easilty removed at Passenger Services, though it could be said, having to take time to do that was also a hassle.

Edited by mtnesterz

If you're this concerned about this, you can have GS deactivate the Medallion and issue you a cruise  card.  You can't be forced to use the Medallion.  This is the option given to those with pacemakers since the Medallion has a magnet that can interfere with the function of the pacemaker.

• Like 1

While we’ve had charges in error occasionally, I have no reason to believe it’s because of the medallion. It happened just as often when we used to have cruise cards. 

Most likely it’s when someone is asked for a cabin number and the answer is misunderstood.

A simple message using crew chat in the app solves the problem.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I do.

I use a faraday pouch and belt clip to carry mine. It's a handy holder, the added rfid protection just a side benefit.

Not so much for avoiding mischarges, I simply don't like being electronically tracked. You can't avoid it altogether in the modern world but you can still take small steps.

I've heard third hand (take it for it's worth) that some passengers, despite testing c-19 negative, have been involuntarily quarantined based on contact tracing using their medallions. (during an outbreak on Majestic leaving PNG last year)

Walkingsoon...tin foil hat pulled down low.

1 minute ago, walkingsoon said:

I do.

I use a faraday pouch and belt clip to carry mine. It's a handy holder, the added rfid protection just a side benefit.

Not so much for avoiding mischarges, I simply don't like being electronically tracked. You can't avoid it altogether in the modern world but you can still take small steps.

I've heard third hand (take it for it's worth) that some passengers, despite testing c-19 negative, have been involuntarily quarantined based on contact tracing using their medallions. (during an outbreak on Majestic leaving PNG last year)

That also means your traveling companions cannot find you as well. We find that element of the medallion very helpful 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SCX22 said:

If you're this concerned about this, you can have GS deactivate the Medallion and issue you a cruise  card.  You can't be forced to use the Medallion.  This is the option given to those with pacemakers since the Medallion has a magnet that can interfere with the function of the pacemaker.

There could still be mystery charges, if a crewmember put the wrong cabin number in the order.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, walkingsoon said:

I do.

No one is quarantined who tests negative anymore. I tested positive on the emerald in March and my wife negative she was free to go about her business on the ship while I was stuck in the cabin 

13 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

We did have one time when a drink was erroneously charged to our bill. The charge was on the Mrs' medallion, who does not drink or go into the bars. We don't know how the charge got there.

Yes, a Faraday cage; a metal or mesh pouch, works, but it would be a hassle in other ways.

The charge was easilty removed at Passenger Services, though it could be said, having to take time to do that was also a hassle.

I think sometimes this might be a case of the bartender hitting the wrong "face" on his screen.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, suzyed said:

I think sometimes this might be a case of the bartender hitting the wrong "face" on his screen.

No they have told me that when we both order drinks at the same time it is just easier to put 2 on one face (even if my face is a cat). They hope to remember to go to the other for the next round but you can imagine how that goes

Just now, memoak said:

No they have told me that when we both order drinks at the same time it is just easier to put 2 on one face (even if my face is a cat). They hope to remember to go to the other for the next round but you can imagine how that goes

I was referring to when you get charged for someone else's drink (a stranger) as someone asked above.

10 hours ago, walkingsoon said:

I simply don't like being electronically tracked.

I’m in a very sincere way am asking what concerns you about being tracked on a ship?

I read this a few times and I’m honestly curious what Princess would do to a passenger with this info?

I personally feel any company wouldn’t waste any resource whatsoever on having someone secretly follow my tracts on a ship. As I said, just curious of a reason?

Thanks

• Like 1

After having several drinks charged on our folio, we started using a RFID blocker sleeve.  After the second time at guest services to get the bar charges taken off (we don’t drink), they became rather snippy…the blocker was an easier fix then dealing with guest services!

15 hours ago, memoak said:

This is always the way they do it when they're busy. It's much to difficult to look up a persons face when they have 20 people to check on the screen.

13 minutes ago, trvlwrld said:

After having several drinks charged on our folio, we started using a RFID blocker sleeve.  After the second time at guest services to get the bar charges taken off (we don’t drink), they became rather snippy…the blocker was an easier fix then dealing with guest services!

It might help but it's seems to much trouble to use constantly. You have to be in the vicinity of the bar to have the medallion read.

17 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

This is always the way they do it when they're busy. It's much to difficult to look up a persons face when they have 20 people to check on the screen.

It might help but it's seems to much trouble to use constantly. You have to be in the vicinity of the bar to have the medallion read.

This even happened when we were alone at Vines

14 hours ago, AZjohn said:

14 hours ago, AZjohn said:

"I’m in a very sincere way am asking what concerns you about being tracked on a ship?"

Hi John!

It's not specific concerns about Princess cruises; mischarges are an easy fix and contact tracing resulting in involuntary quarantine seems pretty unlikely.

It's more the general principal of protecting my privacy.  I simply prefer not to wander around with an aura of electronic information emanating from me. If someone needs something from me, whether it's a waiter, a doctor or law enforcement, they can ask me face to face and I'll respond respectfully.

In the same vein, I take my name off the cabin door and I don't do the red light/green light thing. Instead I seek out the steward and communicate with him directly. I don't do TikTok or Facebook. Likewise, I don't voluntarily help random cold callers fill out their database and I don't immediately write in my SSN# just because there's a blank space for it on a form. I'm not too radical about this. If I was I wouldn't be posting on this public forum:-)

I recognize that many view my attitudes as being paranoid. I'm comfortable with that.

Walkingsoon