Selbourne ‘Live’ from Aurora’s 2024 Grand Tour

Selbourne

2 hours ago, Selbourne said:

It varies a lot by ship though. We thought that the MDR food was great on Iona, Britannia and Ventura (all last year). It’s been less good on Aurora. We always find something that we are happy to order for dinner, although the grand descriptions often fall way short of what is delivered to the table. The biggest issue for me is flavourless sauces and gravies and the fact that it’s green beens with everything!

We’ve just discussed it and would say that about 20% of the evening meals have been good, around 10% have been poor and the remaining 70% have been mediocre. 

MDR lunches haven’t been great on any of the ships but, again, have been slightly worse on Aurora. The curries are generally good but don’t appear every day and the remainder is quite repetitive. 

Food quality and presentation always has varied by the standards demanded by the head chef.

2 hours ago, WestonOne said:

On the business of the 'Welcome.on Board" reception, the current loyalty document says it is a buffet.

Screenshot_20240203_203442_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

Maybe they are going over to buffet embarkation lunches, but we were on Aurora for a 37 night b2b in Aug/Sept (a one week with few higher tier members and a 30 night Canada/USA when there were a lot of high tier members).  The first cruise embarkation lunch was a lovely waiter service one, yet the second cruise only had a buffet.  I suspect the difference depends on how many high tier members are on a cruise, which would also mean the bigger ships will have less high tier members, than will the smaller ships of course.

Edited by tring
  • Like 1

Just now, david63 said:

On the point of "segments" is it actually segments or the fact that you have to pay your account every four weeks - which I have experienced on longer cruises.

As far as menus go there is always some/lot of repetition on longer cruises and the longer the cruise the more repetition as there is basically, on most ships, a two week rotating menu.

My assumption is that it’s just the former David, but they definitely use the term segments. If it was segments we would move to Baltic mid cruise, which would be handy for the laundry discount on the way home 😉 (as that’s about the only benefit above being Caribbean).

• Like 1

IMG_1426.thumb.jpeg.864b627fa7da70239aa73cae40c47a83.jpegDay 32 - Saturday 3rd February - Bridgetown, Barbados

Another very poor nights sleep due to my sore throat, cough and congestion that has no sign of easing. I’m usually pretty OK once up and about and during the day, but the sore throat and cough is ten times worse at night. Thankfully we have a table for 2, as conversation is nigh on impossible during the evenings. 

We arrived bright and early in Barbados and Arvia was already berthed opposite us (I believe that she’s here for 2 days?). Royal Clipper was next in and berthed between us. When I left the ship for my ‘Coast to Coast’ excursion the cruise terminal was absolutely rammed with people. There was considerable congestion at the door leading out to the excursion busses and, once you managed to get outside, the shore experience team were trying to marshall people into queues and holding queues that were waiting for queues ahead of them to clear. Staff and passengers from the other ships were doing the same. I took a photo that shows just a fraction of it as half the people had gone by now and there was the same volume of people behind me as well! All credit to the shore experience team, as it must have been like herding cats at the worlds largest cattery after someone has left all the doors open 😂 

There were 8 empty seats on my coach, so I sat right at the back with empty seats ahead of me. As we set off it was clear to see that this a much more affluent island than the likes of St Vincent and Dominica. There are still a lot of houses for those on the lowest incomes, but also plenty of very expensive looking ones. 

The first stop was a very scenic beach on the Atlantic coast, where most of today’s photos were taken. Next was a church which was nothing special and made me wonder why we’d stopped there. The final stop was the Botanic Gardens where we had a glass of rum punch. Almost everyone on the bus just sat down in the cafe area but I used my 20 minutes to do a tour, at a pace, of the botanical gardens (where some of the other photos were taken). Please don’t think I was being virtuous, I had my rum punch in my hand as I walked around!

We then took a drive back to the ship through Bridgetown, which was useful as it enabled me to suss out the route to take my wife in to town later, which we did after lunch in the MDR. 

Whilst the walk was definitely easier than in St Vincent or Dominica, it was still not easy pushing a manual wheelchair. If I was doing a specific review of the Caribbean with a wheelchair, we’ve yet to visit anywhere yet that I would score higher than ‘poor’. There have been challenges everywhere, some of them considerable. Scooter users may have less issues as the bigger front wheels won’t be as susceptible to the unexpected small ruts that have nearly had by wife out of the chair a few times, but you can have a dropped kerb at one end of a stretch of pavement but not at the other end! As I often say to my wife, we are so fortunate that we live in the UK where the needs of disabled people are now always designed in, or subsequently adapted wherever possible. 

As for Bridgetown it wasn’t much to write home about. We may have missed some nice parts though, having only walked around the underwhelming main centre. Another quite long walk with no shuttle provided, which seems to be a theme on this cruise. 

When we got ‘home’ to Aurora we went to Raffles for a drink and then just relaxed until dinner, other than the fact that I negotiated a clipper cut in the hair salon for £15. I wasn’t going to pay £29 for an unnecessary wash and ‘styling’ when I can do it myself with clippers at home for nothing 😂 

A quick update on the air conditioning problems blighting Aurora. Some areas are now so hot that they are pretty much unusable. The Crows Nest and Library fall firmly in those categories, but the stairways and lifts (particularly forward) are also so hot that it feels like the heating is on. The air con in our cabin turns itself off during the night, which means that we wake up too hot in the night. I reported it and am told that it should stay on 24 hours. An engineer has visited but we weren’t in the cabin and I find that many things reported to reception get lost in translation, so we shall see what happens tonight. As I type this the air con is on the coldest setting and it’s still not cool enough for me. 

Another mediocre dinner in the MDR and as there was no show on tonight (just a film, timed so that nobody eating in the MDR could attend 🤔) we went back to the cabin. Annoyingly we were then subjected to the din from the band playing on the now open roofed deck 12 for over an hour which, after just a few days, has already become irritating. Tomorrow Martinique and it will be the first port in 6 days that I won’t be going on a tour which, given my throat, is no bad thing. 

IMG_1419.jpeg

IMG_1420.jpeg

IMG_1422.jpeg

IMG_1423.jpeg

IMG_1428.jpeg

IMG_1435.jpeg

IMG_1437.jpeg

IMG_1433.jpeg

Edited by Selbourne
  • Like 32

We did the same Ocean to Ocean tour in Barbados last week, but in reverse order - tropical garden first. However, I’ve got to say that you got the (much) better shots at Bathsheba beach - just stunning. Having been there, I also know you are likely to have timed it well to get a clear shot of the rock, with everyone else doing the same thing!

Like you, I’ve now developed a chesty cough that’s worse at night, and our air conditioning works well but it’s still not aiding my sleeping, which is why I’m catching up with your posts in the middle of the night as we head back to Southampton, docking on Wednesday.

I was relieved when the Caribbean band left the Ventura and the peace of the balcony was again restored.  I hope you won’t be subjected to the ‘din’ for much longer.  

Wishing you and Lady S improved ship conditions as you continue with your adventure 🤞

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Selbourne said:

My assumption is that it’s just the former David, but they definitely use the term segments. If it was segments we would move to Baltic mid cruise, which would be handy for the laundry discount on the way home 😉 (as that’s about the only benefit above being Caribbean).

A few years back we sailed with 1 cruise number on a repo from Alaska to FL with Princess.Mid cruise we found out it was divided into 3 segments each with its own number.We saw the FCC onboard who gave us 2 extra credits straight away.I'm thinking if you don't ask you don't get maybe.

It’s beginning to sound a bit like the Ancient Mariner, or African Queen, with the broken air conditioning.  Joking aside - that is poor; it reduces your options to sit in comfort

My memories of Martinique are favourable.  The area near the dock is conspicuously affluent, with high rise waterfront apartments.  When we were there “yachts” had been arriving from a transAtlantic race.  Lovely looking vessels.  There was a huge marquee with *smooth jazz* emerging, which seemed to be “race control”. We briefly contemplated blagging our way in, then came down to earth and realised that there was no way our French was up to that.  We could only have managed the Gallic shrug 🤷‍♂️ 

It’s easy to get out of the terminal; I’m sorry I can’t remember how the roads/kerbs/pavements were.  I do remember a pleasant French vibe

Hope your day is good, and that the air-con gets sorted

• Like 4

Selbourne: don’t fret about Martinique. We went there on I think Britannia pre Covid. Some folk decided to walk into town but were subjected to abuse and turned round to get back to the ship. Since, they have built a cruise terminal shed. We managed to walk into a part of the town but tbh it was nothing special. One to avoid I think.

love your posts each day and your Barbados pics reminded me of my first visit to the island in 1976. No cruise ships then but we drove all round the island in a mini moke which was an experience. 

10 hours ago, tring said:

Maybe they are going over to buffet embarkation lunches, but we were on Aurora for a 37 night b2b in Aug/Sept (a one week with few higher tier members and a 30 night Canada/USA when there were a lot of high tier members).  The first cruise embarkation lunch was a lovely waiter service one, yet the second cruise only had a buffet.  I suspect the difference depends on how many high tier members are on a cruise, which would also mean the bigger ships will have less high tier members, than will the smaller ships of course.

Not being a higher tier member does mean we can eat where we like on that occasion. After our April cruise we will be amongst those privileged few (?).

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

@Selbourne you may be fortunate in martinique  being on a smaller ship and dock at the Town Pier otherwise you will be in the commercial port which is a 15-20 minute walk into town. There is a steep section early on but not impossible, and we found it relatively easy although my wifes wheelchair does have bigger tyres on the front casters. However it's not much better than the other Caribbean Islands. You could see plenty of iguanas lounging in the trees on your way into town.

7 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Another very poor nights sleep due to my sore throat, cough and congestion that has no sign of easing. I’m usually pretty OK once up and about and during the day, but the sore throat and cough is ten times worse at night. Thankfully we have a table for 2, as conversation is nigh on impossible during the evenings. 

Sorry to hear that, but I'm enjoying the blog. Sounds suspiciously like a certain virus, particularly in the light of some of your earlier comments. Glad you're wife's OK. 

• Like 1

Ask Cleo, for some honey, and your cabin steward for fresh lemon, mix with hot water and drink, it does not fix your virus but it does ease your throat. The Staff recommend this!

I am still suffering from my December Cruise

• Like 1

Thanks for another great report and photo array👍🏻

Yes, Bridgetown isn't much better than other islands for accessibility; it annoyed us, when finding decent dropped kerbs at a junction, using one of them and walking/booling along the entire length of the footpath, only to find at the next junction there were no dropped kerbs. It was better near the waterfront in the town where there was a wooden boardwalk.

Our lass liked Martinique, even though it is French, and accessibility was much better than many other islands, particularly near the waterfront. I'm quite sure we parked at the town pier when on Britannia. It wasn't far at all into town, and we passed a line of stalls selling the usual tourist tat; they all accepted euros and US dollars.

One thing I do recall, which would also affect you two, is the lack of unisex disabled toilets; we ended up having to use one in the ladies of a department store.

What did you have by the way, a no.2 all over to last the rest of the cruise?😉

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TigerB said:

Thanks for another great report and photo array👍🏻

Yes, Bridgetown isn't much better than other islands for accessibility; it annoyed us, when finding decent dropped kerbs at a junction, using one of them and walking/booling along the entire length of the footpath, only to find at the next junction there were no dropped kerbs. It was better near the waterfront in the town where there was a wooden boardwalk.

Our lass liked Martinique, even though it is French, and accessibility was much better than many other islands, particularly near the waterfront. I'm quite sure we parked at the town pier when on Britannia. It wasn't far at all into town, and we passed a line of stalls selling the usual tourist tat; they all accepted euros and US dollars.

One thing I do recall, which would also affect you two, is the lack of unisex disabled toilets; we ended up having to use one in the ladies of a department store.

Oh! Haircut, silly me🤣

• Haha 6

19 minutes ago, mercury7289 said:

Oh! Haircut, silly me🤣

That would guarantee your own exclusive table.

Edited by brian1
  • Haha 3

32 minutes ago, mercury7289 said:

Ask Cleo, for some honey, and your cabin steward for fresh lemon, mix with hot water and drink, it does not fix your virus but it does ease your throat. The Staff recommend this!

I am still suffering from my December Cruise

The bar staff also recommend a warm neat brandy…… much more enjoyable 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, TigerB said:

??????🤔

Just now, terrierjohn said:

@Selbourne you may be fortunate in martinique  being on a smaller ship and dock at the Town Pier otherwise you will be in the commercial port which is a 15-20 minute walk into town. There is a steep section early on but not impossible, and we found it relatively easy although my wifes wheelchair does have bigger tyres on the front casters. However it's not much better than the other Caribbean Islands. You could see plenty of iguanas lounging in the trees on your way into town.

We seem to have docked at the town pier. Certainly not commercial looking. One big advantage of Aurora over the bigger ships is that we seem to get the closest / most convenient berths. 

Just now, Tommart said:

Sorry to hear that, but I'm enjoying the blog. Sounds suspiciously like a certain virus, particularly in the light of some of your earlier comments. Glad you're wife's OK. 

We actually bought some Covid test kits with us so I’ve tested and I don’t have that. I would have cancelled my excursions if it was. I think this is about the 6th day I’ve had it and it’s not getting any better. Cold and flu medications and paracetamol aren’t touching it. I have an unused course of antibiotics with me which I’ve contemplated taking, but they don’t work against viruses and as I have a sore throat, congestion and a cough it seems as though it’s viral rather than bacterial. 

Just now, TigerB said:

Assuming that you are referring to my haircut (😂) I went for a number 3 (which I do at home) but with number 2 around the back and sides to see if I can eek it out for the rest of the cruise 😂 . The guy was clearly miffed that I had negotiated down from the £29 full works, so was the least motivated and engaged hairdresser I’ve ever had. At least I didn’t have to answer any “are you going anywhere nice on holiday this year” questions 😂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 14

4 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

We seem to have docked at the town pier. Certainly not commercial looking. One big advantage of Aurora over the bigger ships is that we seem to get the closest / most convenient berths. 

We actually bought some Covid test kits with us so I’ve tested and I don’t have that. I would have cancelled my excursions if it was. I think this is about the 6th day I’ve had it and it’s not getting any better. Cold and flu medications and paracetamol aren’t touching it. I have an unused course of antibiotics with me which I’ve contemplated taking, but they don’t work against viruses and as I have a sore throat, congestion and a cough it seems as though it’s viral rather than bacterial. 

Assuming that you are referring to my haircut (😂) I went for a number 3 (which I do at home) but with number 2 around the back and sides to see if I can eek it out for the rest of the cruise 😂 . The guy was clearly miffed that I had negotiated down from the £29 full works, so was the least motivated and engaged hairdresser I’ve ever had. At least I didn’t have to answer any “are you going anywhere nice on holiday this year” questions 😂 

My sympathy re your cold - I have had the same here at home (unusual for me) and the symptoms did indeed last for a week so hopefully the end is in sight for you.   Good luck with the remainder of your trip and keep posting!   

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Selbourne said:

We actually bought some Covid test kits with u😍s so I’ve tested and I don’t have that. I would have cancelled my excursions if it was. I think this is about the 6th day I’ve had it and it’s not getting any better. Cold and flu medications and paracetamol aren’t touching it. I have an unused course of antibiotics with me which I’ve contemplated taking, but they don’t work against viruses and as I have a sore throat, congestion and a cough it seems as though it’s viral rather than bacterial. 

But were your offered "anything for the weekend, sir?" 😍

• Haha 4

21 hours ago, Selbourne said:

It varies a lot by ship though. We thought that the MDR food was great on Iona, Britannia and Ventura (all last year). It’s been less good on Aurora. We always find something that we are happy to order for dinner, although the grand descriptions often fall way short of what is delivered to the table. The biggest issue for me is flavourless sauces and gravies and the fact that it’s green beens with everything!

We’ve just discussed it and would say that about 20% of the evening meals have been good, around 10% have been poor and the remaining 70% have been mediocre. 

MDR lunches haven’t been great on any of the ships but, again, have been slightly worse on Aurora. The curries are generally good but don’t appear every day and the remainder is quite repetitive. 

I've been looking at the MDR dinner menus you have kindly posted and generally there is something on there most nights me or Mrs DCH would have (not including the default chicken and steak).  I guess that at worst, you can always pop up to buffet and find something else if you are hungry.

It looks like the menus are repeating now so are you finding that a problem or just an opportunity to try something else?

Although some people might find the menus repetitive, most of us probably have a few go to dinners at home we have every week or two so not really that different.

Edited by Thedonkeycentrehalf
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, pennib said:

Selbourne: don’t fret about Martinique. We went there on I think Britannia pre Covid. Some folk decided to walk into town but were subjected to abuse and turned round to get back to the ship. Since, they have built a cruise terminal shed. We managed to walk into a part of the town but tbh it was nothing special. One to avoid I think.

love your posts each day and your Barbados pics reminded me of my first visit to the island in 1976. No cruise ships then but we drove all round the island in a mini moke which was an experience. 

That's interesting. We were in Martinique a few days ago on Arvia. Perhaps it was weight of numbers but we enjoyed a walk around the town, over to the park and up and down the side streets and felt perfectly safe with no one batting an eyelid. Most of the cafes and bars were clearly full of Brits. 

We didn't see a cruise shed, we had a large block of flats or hotel at the end of a pier which I presume is the town pier so perhaps a different area ?

@Selbourne Arvia was also struggling under the weight of some nasty horrible cold / flu like virus, there were many, clearly ill people and coughing absolutely everywhere as well as with staff. Unfortunately my wife has it and suffered big time, as did half our plane home yesterday it seemed. 

• Thanks 1

We was in Martinique a few months ago and we encountered no problems with the people just very poor upkeep of the pavements because I almost broke my big toe on one of them, we walked around the town it was okay nothing special then I hurt my toe and my impression went downhill after that.