Recent COVID experience onboard

foze

12 minutes ago, CruiseRQA said:

I got all the Covid shots and boosters up through #4.   This fall I got my flu shot (do that every year, view that as more of a risk than Covid) and overdue shingles #1.   Will get shingles #2 before leaving on my cruise in a couple of weeks.   Ambivalent about another Covid booster.    I always say that if you think masks protect from respiratory viruses then wear one.  

Agreed on all of the above. I appear to have a run of the mill cold. It is bloody awful!

Luckily viruses don't exist... right...? ahhhhhhh... choooooooo!!!!! 🤧

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frenchkona said:

I wonder what percentage of people are getting Covid boosters today. I would say that number is very low. Why wear a mask when you are not vaccinated?

Many are not getting the new booster, due to studies that are not adequate to warrant getting the booster, as per my concierge doctor.  It is a choice whether you do or not.  We chose not to get the booster it because of the research factor.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, foze said:

5 months! wow! that's a rapid turnaround! but it is in the "can't hurt" world. our last one was 12 months ago, at least.

in Ontario we have a 180 day wait between vaccines

Friends of ours did not get the RSV vaccine although they were eligible for it.   They just spent two miserable weeks in bed with RSV.   There is not prescription you can get to make it better but they were given inhalers because of severe lung congestion.   They said it was much worse than COVID or even the Flu.   RSV is now a major cause of respiratory disease on the east coast.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, 1Virgo said:

in Ontario we have a 180 day wait between vaccines

Awesome, and quite amazing! I simply hope it becomes a yearly vaccine like the flu vaccine.

• Like 1

My DH started feeling ill the evening we disembarked 2 weeks ago and tested positive for CV during the night.  Paxlovid really helps (if your medical conditions permit) but is becoming hard to find.  We have repeatedly asked about a prescription so we can travel with it and have been turned down each time.

2 hours ago, CruiseRQA said:

This fall I got my flu shot (do that every year, view that as more of a risk than Covid) 

The season stats in Alberta, Canada so far this flu season is 384 deaths from covid and 80 deaths from the flu. You might want to do some rethinking. 

• Like 2

End of February 2023, my DH self tested positive at start of 2nd leg of B2B on Equinox.  I tested negative.  Contacted medical and they checked him out and gave OTC drugs.  Presented our tests to the staff.  Confined only him to cabin for 5 days.  Delivered meals and called everyday. Not a bad case and fully recovered.  No charge to us and refund for 5 days (only for him)  Wonder if protocol has changed.  Always travel with covid test kits.  

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Got RSV shot yesterday and was planning on getting the Covid vaccine along with it. But last booster was in August, pretty sure I had covid in early September on a river cruise despite negative test results from a kit we brought along. CVS pharmacist advised waiting until February. Friends who were with us in Europe, boosted pre-trip, and tested + for covid on our trip, got their vaccine Thursday, so go figure?

Edited by TMLAalum

We take our own tests with us.  I don’t think it’s that Celebrity no longer cares they just leave it up to you to take your own precautions whatever you choose them to be.  Rarely see masks any more but on our last couple of cruises we were starting to see more.  
Last Spring we were on an excursion and there were a group of 4 who were traveling together hacking their lungs out on the bus.   We quickly whipped out our masks along with the folks in front of us. We managed to escape. We have to this day had every vaccination possible. 

Definitely think it is still the responsible thing to do with symptoms is to take yourself out of public circulation and keep a distance from more crowded places.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

10 hours ago, gcornell said:

I’m not sure they don’t care I think it’s more that many have accepted it’s part of our lives now like the cold and flu.  

My daughter was really sick on her Contiki tour. They said don't test else she would have to be left behind if it was positive. Dosed herself with cold and flu tablets/Panadol and vitamins and soldiered on. Similar to I shoved down her throat when she (and I) had covid.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CruiseRQA said:

I got all the Covid shots and boosters up through #4.   This fall I got my flu shot (do that every year, view that as more of a risk than Covid) and overdue shingles #1.   Will get shingles #2 before leaving on my cruise in a couple of weeks.   Ambivalent about another Covid booster.    I always say that if you think masks protect from respiratory viruses then wear one.  

Those shingles shots are tough....but needed.

I saw my cardiologist 3 weeks ago and asked about the new COVID shots.  His reply "YES, GET IT, I got it, the shot, my daughter had COVID recently and it was nasty".  So listening to medical professional so I see every 6 months I went and got my shot, cruise is in 10 days and now I just hope and pray it all goes well and I will be bringing my own test kits just to be safe. I have tried the "you could have easily died" thing twice in my life and I like the living part a whole lot better so if I err, it is on the side of caution.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Kelownadon said:

The season stats in Alberta, Canada so far this flu season is 384 deaths from covid and 80 deaths from the flu. You might want to do some rethinking. 

5 hours ago, TMLAalum said:

Got RSV shot yesterday and was planning on getting the Covid vaccine along with it. But last booster was in August, pretty sure I had covid in early September on a river cruise despite negative test results from a kit we brought along. CVS pharmacist advised waiting until February. Friends who were with us in Europe, boosted pre-trip, and tested + for covid on our trip, got their vaccine Thursday, so go figure?

unfortunately the covid kits dont tell you which variant you have. The virus mutates quickly so the vaccine probably didnt have the latest variant

18 hours ago, Folsomdoc said:

We will take our own test kits and our Paxlovid which we finally were able to get as a precaution. We are both up there in age and I’d want to know so I can take it. Got COVID traveling in Spain two years ago and Paxlovid was a miracle drug. Several people on our tour had symptoms. No discussion, just lots of coughing. Don’t ask don’t tell sums it up.

Was on a river cruise with lots of coughing and many complaining of "bad cold". When it finally hit us we tested (with our own tests) and started paxlovid (which we had brought). Called the desk to inform them and was told, "You have no restrictions, we treat this as the flu now". We masked and took food back to our cabin etc. I feel sorry for their staff who are constantly exposed in very close quarters.

• Like 1

I recommend just be somewhat careful if you are concerned about Covid...wash your hands often, don't get into any face to face coversations with anyone and be aware of your surroundings....thats what we do....and we still got sick...but I woudn't change a thing....we did get all of the shots...today, 10 days after our cruise ended we are back to normal....ready to head to Cozumel next friday for two weeks....

• Like 1

In 2020, in the midst of Covid, I contracted shingles in one eye. I had a mild case but still take an antiviral and use steroid drops. I had received the original 1 dose shingles vaccine in 2012 and the 2 dose Shingrix in 2018. I, of course, whined about getting shingles after getting the vaccine and my eye doctor told me two things that have become my mantra. First, no vaccine is 100% effective. Second, being vaccinated can lessen the symptoms and severity of the disease.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, cruisegirlppp said:

Was on a river cruise with lots of coughing and many complaining of "bad cold". When it finally hit us we tested (with our own tests) and started paxlovid (which we had brought). Called the desk to inform them and was told, "You have no restrictions, we treat this as the flu now". We masked and took food back to our cabin etc. I feel sorry for their staff who are constantly exposed in very close quarters.

That's pretty much my experience except Celebrity wouldn't say those words. I guess the cruise industry is not interested in being locked down again!

Good call on the paxlovid, too!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Mrdell said:

I’m guessing that it probably would be. Most insurance companies would pay as long as proper documentation is provided.

Last cruise I came down with an extremely sore throat.  Concerned it might be covid and I would spread to others, I went to the medical centre.  First thing was a covid test, negative, diagnosed with long named throat condition...LOL...antibiotics etc.  The charge was $255 US $ but no charge for the covid test...just the doctors time and medication.  Still waiting for insurance to cover (2 mos. later) and don't know if full cost will be reimbursed.  So visits to the ship doctor are expensive.  Further to the visit, my concern with covid was possibly spreading it to someone who could NOT recover if aged or immune compromised.  The doctor said I would be cabin restricted but not monitored if I had covid but not DH...he could walk around at will.  There's quite a loose policy now onboard.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Last cruise I came down with an extremely sore throat.  Concerned it might be covid and I would spread to others, I went to the medical centre.  First thing was a covid test, negative, diagnosed with long named throat condition...LOL...antibiotics etc.  The charge was $255 US $ but no charge for the covid test...just the doctors time and medication.  Still waiting for insurance to cover (2 mos. later) and don't know if full cost will be reimbursed.  So visits to the ship doctor are expensive.  Further to the visit, my concern with covid was possibly spreading it to someone who could NOT recover if aged or immune compromised.  The doctor said I would be cabin restricted but not monitored if I had covid but not DH...he could walk around at will.  There's quite a loose policy now onboard.

That last part about spreading it were our main concern. We're no spring chickens, but we were probably somewhere at the 30th percentile for age distribution. A lot of really quite elderly folk having a great time, but on a ship and catch COVID? We'd hate to be the cause. Anyway, we already have our own test kits for the next cruise in 4 weeks time.

Funniest thing on our cruise was that one day all of the outdoor staff were wearing masks. What the...? Then I discovered the cause: a very large ship being filled with "raw" cement and there was huge plumes of dust in the air. Not COVID at least... 😉

• Thanks 1

Our experience in September 2023:

5 days into the 11 night cruise my husband had the chills and started feeling bad.

He went to the ship's doc and sure enough, COVID positive.  He was charged $150 and given some Dayquil and cough drops.  l felt fine.  They said for him to quarantine for 5 days and then be verbally checked (in other words, not another test to confirm negative).  I could stay in the cabin with him.  That evening I started feeling bad.  I did not go to the doc because I knew I had COVID and why should I pay $150 for a little bottle of dayquil and some cough drops.  I isolated with him the entire time.  I felt like it was the worse flu I've ever had (caught the flu twice, diagnosed of course), my husband wasn't as sick as I was. 

Once we emerged on day 6, I stopped by Guest Services to question the $150 charge.  They apologized and removed it.  I mentioned that I was sick with it and wondered if there was any sort of refund for covid when catching it on board.  I was told they would be calling us.  Which they did. 

The person who called said we would receive a $1400 refund for the loss of 5 days for my husband.  I told them that I also had covid and quarantined the entire time and they could check my folio and room service in case there was any doubt.  I also explained why I didn't seek medical treatment.  Thankfully, Celebrity was kind enough to believe me and we received a $2800 refund.

My feelings about what the OP posted are that Celebrity should offer the covid test for a minimal charge, to be refunded if positive.  I was going to say free, but they would be doing covid tests all day long if it was free.  Seeing how easily we both caught this virus, I believe that people should not be going out in public if they are covid positive.

• Like 5

I don't understand why 1) people don't bring their own Covid tests with them and 2) why people don't bring some basic OTC  meds with them for if they do get sick.  Then you can figure out what to do and treat accordingly.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Muushka said:

Our experience in September 2023:

5 days into the 11 night cruise my husband had the chills and started feeling bad.

He went to the ship's doc and sure enough, COVID positive.  He was charged $150 and given some Dayquil and cough drops.  l felt fine.  They said for him to quarantine for 5 days and then be verbally checked (in other words, not another test to confirm negative).  I could stay in the cabin with him.  That evening I started feeling bad.  I did not go to the doc because I knew I had COVID and why should I pay $150 for a little bottle of dayquil and some cough drops.  I isolated with him the entire time.  I felt like it was the worse flu I've ever had (caught the flu twice, diagnosed of course), my husband wasn't as sick as I was. 

Once we emerged on day 6, I stopped by Guest Services to question the $150 charge.  They apologized and removed it.  I mentioned that I was sick with it and wondered if there was any sort of refund for covid when catching it on board.  I was told they would be calling us.  Which they did. 

The person who called said we would receive a $1400 refund for the loss of 5 days for my husband.  I told them that I also had covid and quarantined the entire time and they could check my folio and room service in case there was any doubt.  I also explained why I didn't seek medical treatment.  Thankfully, Celebrity was kind enough to believe me and we received a $2800 refund.

My feelings about what the OP posted are that Celebrity should offer the covid test for a minimal charge, to be refunded if positive.  I was going to say free, but they would be doing covid tests all day long if it was free.  Seeing how easily we both caught this virus, I believe that people should not be going out in public if they are covid positive.

Your point on "minimal" I agree with. Why not carry a stock of LFT's and either charge a few bucks for them or simply give them away as they're dirt cheap? However, your story on refunds is very interesting. In my case the Retreat folk brought NYE dinner to my room as we were more or less isolating. I was more concerned about the demographic on board. Anyway, it is a thing. On another one in 27 days... we have a load of tests with us, already!