LIVE 💎 Jewel 💎 of the Seas - Southern Caribbean 1/20/24

@SteelCityCruiser10  have a wonderful cruise!  

Assuming you plan on dining at Giovanni’s.  Curious as to what your thoughts will be   as ours was disappointing in November.   We are back on the jewel in may and planning on using our bogo for chops twice based on our experience at Giovanni’s   

5 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Hi Mark, wish I did stowaway in your luggage.   We finished shoveling 3 driveways (1 was ours) after work.  Had something like 6 to 7 inches of snow here in PA.

Really looking forward to your photos to warm up.

Enjoy😊

Thanks!! You should have lol

Sounds exhausting!  My brother is reporting they have at least 5 inches right now in Northern Pittsburgh.  

I shovel/snowblow my elderly neighbors driveway, especially now, since she lost her husband about a year ago.  Luckily she does have family close and other neighbors who can pick up my slack.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, maggieq said:

@SteelCityCruiser10  have a wonderful cruise!  

Assuming you plan on dining at Giovanni’s.  Curious as to what your thoughts will be   as ours was disappointing in November.   We are back on the jewel in may and planning on using our bogo for chops twice based on our experience at Giovanni’s   

Thanks!!!

Yes for the 3 night package we plan to go to chops, giovanni’s and izumi.  Might try a BOGO too if they will allow a different night.

Our experience at Chops on Radiance last June was not good at all.  That was a first for us.  Never had any issues there before on any ship.

DW is usually not a big fan of Giovanni’s and we have skipped it for a long time.  We’re giving it another shot on this one. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, AdventureAwaits93 said:

Going on this same trip and itinerary in March. DH and I are contemplating the Internet package so we can stay in touch with the dog sitter and the kids (15 & 12). Would you be able to get the onboard pricing for me? TIA!

No worries - I’ll keep an eye out.  I’d be surprised if onboard pricing was better though.

4 minutes ago, SteelCityCruiser10 said:

No worries - I’ll keep an eye out.  I’d be surprised if onboard pricing was better though.

On board pricing most likely will not be better. However, if you can wait 1-2 days to buy and get some free days due to C&A status, you can still come out ahead buying on board.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SteelCityCruiser10 said:

Uber is scheduled.  It was $16 and change. Plus tip added later.

Who wants to take bets on the dropoff time of 10:34??  

IMG_1588.thumb.jpeg.f6a1ba2c7cf16dc67678a8f16b5e9d2d.jpeg

You are 4 minutes from the pier?

Speaking of bets…I am excited for playoff football onboard.  The app is showing that Packers v 49ers will be on at the pool deck as well as the Pit Stop.  I can’t recall ever seeing football on the pool deck TV.

Guess i’ll find out tomorrow.  It also shows bills vs jets and lions vs saints too in the app. Umm  Yeah that’s not a thing 😂 

Edited by SteelCityCruiser10
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, SteelCityCruiser10 said:

Speaking of bets…I am excited for playoff football onboard.  The app is showing that Packers v 49ers will be on at the pool deck as well as the Pit Stop.  I can’t recall ever seeing football on the pool deck TV.

We have watched Football playoffs and superbowl at pool deck.   Lots of fun. 

Usually have cocktail waiters walking around like daytime at the pool.

• Like 1

Loving this so far! We did a Southern trip once out of PR and flew in the day-of (we booked air through RCI otherwise we never arrive day of embarkation!). Anyway, if we ever do it again, giving ourselves a couple days before hand to enjoy PR would be the way we'd go, and your hotel ocean view, my goodness 😍

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, GetToLivin said:

Loving this so far! We did a Southern trip once out of PR and flew in the day-of (we booked air through RCI otherwise we never arrive day of embarkation!). Anyway, if we ever do it again, giving ourselves a couple days before hand to enjoy PR would be the way we'd go, and your hotel ocean view, my goodness 😍

Oh my Flying into SJU the day-of especially in January gives me heart palpitations 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ordered Birra House Margherita pizza via Doordash.  Only took about 15 minutes.  Met the dasher in the lobby.  Super easy and was waaayyy cheaper than the hotel restaurant room service.  Like it 👍🏻

IMG_1589.thumb.jpeg.ed1091241588be217b0704ab536ebd1d.jpeg

Edited by SteelCityCruiser10
  • Like 7

40 minutes ago, SteelCityCruiser10 said:

No - estimated with no/normal traffic is 10 min

Especially since you will be boarding at the Pan-Am pier, not the pier in Old San Juan. 

So I know just about everyone is interested in the Trinidad & Tobago ports in particular.  To be honest, so am I, and we still aren’t fully decided what (if anything) we will do there.  At minimum we will get off and explore whatever is in the immediate port area.  We are considering a beach excursion on one but not both.  We were not sold on anything pre cruise.  So we are basically winging it on those 2 ports right now.  We may still pop on booking something onboard.  We shall see.  One of them will be mostly a makeshift “sea day” for us.

I avoid long bus rides like the plague (we had the THE MOST horrific bus ride on our Halifax - Peggy’s Cove excursion last September.  See that live thread for details)  so those excursions are out immediately.  From my understanding any of the beach excursions we were interested in at T&T are close to 45 minutes each way in a van/bus &  that’s maxing me out.

• Like 3

Pre Planned excursions are a private tour with Elegance Catamarans in Barbados.

Another catamaran tour in St.Lucia - Western Coast Catamaran Cruise through Royal.  This is a catamaran cruise with a beach stop and cruise to the Pitons.  I wanted to see the Pitons and a catamaran sounded waaaaayyyy better than a bus to me.  Throw in a beach too -sold.

For St.Maarten we haven’t booked an excursion but plan to do a bit of exploring and shopping and take the water taxi over to the beach & do whatever floats our boat.

• Like 3

I can highly recommend Rima Beach World in St. Maarten for shopping. You can spend hours there, and they have tons of things, souvenirs, and beachwear clothing...all reasonably priced. You will probably have to take a cab to get there, (it is quite aways downtown) but it is a fun store. I think we walked back. 

https://rimasxm.com/.  

Well, I *think* we walked back. We made it about three quarters of the way back. And I was way too hot. A lady cab driver stuck her head out the window and offered to take us back to the ship for $5. I jumped in immediately. Bill was confused, I just told him to get in. ☺️

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, AdventureAwaits93 said:

Going on this same trip and itinerary in March. DH and I are contemplating the Internet package so we can stay in touch with the dog sitter and the kids (15 & 12). Would you be able to get the onboard pricing for me? TIA!

The pre-cruise cruise planner price will always be substantially cheaper.  If you are going to get it you'd be better off getting before you get on board.

3 hours ago, SteelCityCruiser10 said:

So I know just about everyone is interested in the Trinidad & Tobago ports in particular.  To be honest, so am I, and we still aren’t fully decided what (if anything) we will do there.  At minimum we will get off and explore whatever is in the immediate port area.  We are considering a beach excursion on one but not both.  We were not sold on anything pre cruise.  So we are basically winging it on those 2 ports right now.

Sailed on Rhapsody last March b2b2b... twice in Tobago, 3 visits to Trinidad.

Trinidad is not a pretty city where you would want to walk around in on your own around the port... do some homework (google is your friend) on this. If you do anything it should definitely be on an excursion, RCI or private. I did both on the first two visits, then stayed on the ship the third (first time ever not getting off the ship). Trinidad to me is like what most here on CC say about Nassau (sea day).

Tobago is another story. Lots and lots of private tour guides wanting your business at the port gate. Lots to see (island tour), Argyle waterfall is a great little hike/walk and swim/climb. Buccoo Reef snorkelling and Pigeon Point Beach are highlights, however all tourists go there. I thought Buccoo Reef was over-stated... snorkelling was underwhelming, but the beach is gorgeous (but far from port 50min). knowing both options I really enjoyed the island tour... driving, scenery, lunch at a beach, photo ops, hike/swim waterfall.... great day!

Bottom line... if you need that "rest" day on the ship, stay on board in Trinidad

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I wish to add, if you do end up deciding to do something on both days, in Trinidad look at Maracas Beach for an easy/calm day for 4-5 hours away from the city... great beach, and you can try local Shark Bake for lunch. And then perhaps opt for some island touring in Tobago. This way you get to do something in both ports.

Either way, you'll have a great beach to choose from on either island

Edited by Hoopster95
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

I wish to add, if you do end up deciding to do something on both days, in Trinidad look at Maracas Beach for an easy/calm day for 4-5 hours away from the city... great beach, and you can try local Shark Bake for lunch. And then perhaps opt for some island touring in Tobago. This way you get to do something in both ports.

Either way, you'll have a great beach to choose from on either island

@Hoopster95 Thanks!  That is great info and confirms what I’ve learned up to this point.  

Maracas Beach was the 1 excursion we talked about doing in Trinidad.

Pigeon Point Beach is a possibility for Tobago.  There was 1 other beach I can’t recall at the moment that we talked about as well.  Haven’t had coffee yet… yeah that’s the problem 😜