Daily internet prices to increase!

dweeb

On 1/18/2024 at 8:26 PM, ZoeyVictoria said:

Thank you.  To recap, I will pay $210 now, then request the $105 discount be refunded as OBC through GS or Crew Chat once I am on board?  You were very clear, thank you, I believe I understand correctly. 

As of last year your app showed the 50% off price I quickly booked from another cruise ship in Nov 2022 for a 28 day cruise in April 2023 before the last price raise.   In early 2022 they were still charging you full price and refunding the overpayment as OBC.

11 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

Has anyone successfully received a price adjustment prior to boarding?

Was able to purchase with a kid's account, who is elite, since that's the only credit card that worked. 

I’d call in and ask for the adjustment.  Otherwise, have only heard of it as obc once ob.

BTW, old prices still showing on App.

Just now, PacnGoNow said:

I’d call in and ask for the adjustment.  Otherwise, have only heard of it as obc once ob.

They refused when I called. Going to call again.

Edited by startedwithamouse

I have a mental list of needs for a cruise that I should probably formalize into a pyramid chart like Maslow did.

The solid base for me is a standard booking on a ship with a real promenade.  After my base is established, I consider the price points for the extras and if they make sense for me, I'll consider them.  I can scratch off most of the extras without much thought - spa treatments of any kind, the Sanctuary, art auctions, bingo, etc.

WiFi is a nice to have, unless it's priced out of what I will consider a good value.  I got by without WiFi for years on cruise ships and can do so again without causing me any angst.

It's any business's job to offer their goods and services at whatever cost the market will bear. If the market won't bear a high price, the business will have to lower their price.  It's the law of supply and demand and consumers set the demand.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

I have a mental list of needs for a cruise that I should probably formalize into a pyramid chart like Maslow did.

I had no idea that Maslow needed to cruise .

• Haha 4

Called again - was able to get the kid's internet cancelled, since they wouldn't adjust for their discount, and booked a 4 device with discount under my name under the old price. We purchase Plus on all cruises now, except for long ones, which this one is the only one we have on the books that's long. 

Edited by startedwithamouse
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

They refused when I called. Going to call again.

I called in and the agent was able to Book it with the discount today.

Your’s could be canceled and booked with a discount. If you want to deal with it.

Edited by PacnGoNow

2 hours ago, latserrof said:

We consider ourselves lucky because we don't need the internet, we enjoy getting away from it on a cruise. As Elite, we used to get some time free, but Princess took that away, which makes us even less inclined to pay for it. Also we have enjoyed going to local libraries and stores that offer free internet.

Cruising used to be so simple  -- it was about the cruise and destinations -- not about all the "options", which many people, including Princess employees, have trouble following.

On our last trip I keep careful track of what I used the internet for and found that it's totally an unnecessary option to spend money on. I'm sure there are people who want to check up on those at home but we're just not one of them. Having to read about the news isn't a main concern, nor is checking email every hour.

Internet is crucial for us.  We have two elderly dogs that family take care of, but both have medical issues.  We have business interests that may need immediate input from my DH.  We don’t need it for browsing social media or streaming movies or following the news.  It’s a lifeline, that without it being available years ago,  we would not be free to travel as often as we do.  We will pay whatever we have to for internet. 

• Like 5

12 hours ago, nho9504 said:

You think Princess rate is high?  Holland America charges $29.99 a day and there is NO pay as you go feature.  Oh, there is also ZERO discount even if you are 5 star Mariner...

Then Princess should charge $29.99 per day, if their WiFi is, as they claim, the best at sea. Maybe even $39.99 per day!

Oh, and Princess should, at the same time, honor their promised Captains Circle benefits by reducing the price for Princess Plus and Premium by 50% of that daily WiFi rate for Platinum and Elite cruisers. 

And then we can talk about further reducing the price for Princess Plus and Premium for Elites by $5 per day for forgoing the minibar setup. ($70 value, 7 day cruise, 2 people in cabin). What’s that you say?  Some cruises are 15 or 30 days long? Yeah, it’s kind of like the two free casual dining meals per cruise, isn’t it, only in reverse. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

56 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Then Princess should charge $29.99 per day, if their WiFi is, as they claim, the best at sea. Maybe even $39.99 per day!

Oh, and Princess should, at the same time, honor their promised Captains Circle benefits by reducing the price for Princess Plus and Premium by 50% of that daily WiFi rate for Platinum and Elite cruisers. 

And then we can talk about further reducing the price for Princess Plus and Premium for Elites by $5 per day for forgoing the minibar setup. ($70 value, 7 day cruise, 2 people in cabin). What’s that you say?  Some cruises are 15 or 30 days long? Yeah, it’s kind of like the two free casual dining meals per cruise, isn’t it, only in reverse. 

If this increase works for them next step is another increase. The value of elite keeps going down. Just a way for more people to get the drink package. Those of us who can no longer drink will have a hard time justifying plus or premium. 

• Like 1

I was able to book for my 2025 16 day Panama cruise.  With no package, it is a good savings if they eventually raise the rates.  However, I am concerned about getting an adjustment after we board to reflect the Platinum level discount because I haven't achieve that level when I bought it today.  We sail between now and Panama, and that will be our 5th cruise gaining us Platinum this year.

I know how it is supposed to work in my opinion, but honestly, I can hear some responses from Guest Services along the lines of "I'm sorry, we don't offer that package anymore and can only apply your discount to our current offering."  The whole way things should go, and the way they play out on board are often very different.  Anyone have experience with this?  I would like a credit of 1/2 off of what I paid today, not what the internet package will cost in 2025. Hope that makes sense.

39 minutes ago, ColoradoMom!! said:

I would like a credit of 1/2 off of what I paid today, not what the internet package will cost in 2025. Hope that makes sense.

I don't believe that will happen and, IMO, shouldn't.  Back dating pricing and discount schemes the way you'd like will not work.

11 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

I don't believe that will happen and, IMO, shouldn't.  Back dating pricing and discount schemes the way you'd like will not work.

Ok - I really wasn't trying to scheme, but I get your point.  So there is no reason for me to purchase the internet now then.But aren't we all trying to backdate to get the price currently as opposed to when we sail?

I guess since my understanding was that everyone gets the Platinum benefit of half off as OBC after boarding, I thought it made sense.

1 minute ago, ColoradoMom!! said:

Ok - I really wasn't trying to scheme, but I get your point.  So there is no reason for me to purchase the internet now then.But aren't we all trying to backdate to get the price currently as opposed to when we sail?

I guess since my understanding was that everyone gets the Platinum benefit of half off as OBC after boarding, I thought it made sense.

I don't think anybody is trying to backdate anything.  Those cruisers at Platinum and Elite may want to book and pay for their internet now and take the 50% discount on the current price before it changes ( from $15 to $25).  In your case, you may as well wait until you are platinum, take the discount and pay $12.50.

7 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

I sail next Monday 10 nights on the Ruby so just bought the single device wifi through my app for $75. 

• Like 1

Just now, PacnGoNow said:

One time that IT is slow, that it 

paid off!🥴

Or maybe all this was a clever Princess strategy to have a bunch of Platinum and Elites cough up some ready cash right now.  I did.

• Haha 6

38 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Or maybe all this was a clever Princess strategy to have a bunch of Platinum and Elites cough up some ready cash right now.  I did.

I was wondering the same thing…send the increase notification to TAs to disburse to their clients without any official announcement to passengers.

Like you, I took the bait & only time will tell if this was Princess’ way to get passengers to pay much sooner than normal. Their newsletter to TAs showed prices would increase today but based on posts that has not happened on today’s 1/22/24 start date.

Or it is just another glitch in their system…one that could benefit those who didn’t purchase prior to the implementation date.

image.thumb.jpeg.3c6598f4375861f4a918c4c821f75ad4.jpeg

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 1